Should Team Fortress 2 have a single player?
Yes
30.3% (64)
30.3% (64)
No
66.8% (141)
66.8% (141)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Team Fortress 2 Single Player?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I was discussing this with my friend the other day and we wondered what it would be like if tf2 had a story and single player campaign.

I thought it would be an unnecessary feature that would take away from the great multiplayer experience but I would love to hear what my fellow escapists think?

Team Fortress 2

TF2 is a multiplayer game that would lose all of it's purpose thanks to AI that could not live up to human team work and amusement.

First of all, it's TEAM fortress.

Second of all, hell no. There isn't supposed to be much story behind it. And classes, ultimately, are made to be played as a team. Not solo.

Nope, I can't see any cause for it. Besides, it wouldn't have the same feel as playing multiplayer. It would just be like a different game. Not to mention that TF2 is meant to be a multiplayer game and only that. It would be like adding the option to have either a piece of ham, or have a wonderfully crafted ham and cheese sandvich. The single player would be useless and take away from effort to be spent on making the real game better.

No, the game's only fun with the unpredictability of other people not a preprogrammed AI.

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

It's there for a reason, chap.

The old achievement system made it feel like a single player game.

Am I the only one who likes this new system? Probably.

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

i dont think anymore emphasis could be put on that word even if it was stamped upon several times with an ink pad and made into a billboard

Short answer No.

Yes it needs single player. I have it (I got the Orange box) and I don't play it at all. I would if there were a single player option.

I wouldn't mind it, hell I spent weeks playing with bots on Unreal Tournament and I am sure there have been some major AI leaps since then. Ohh, same deal with Perfect Dark... those were fun games to play and I'm sure they could make it work with Team Fortress. That said, they should probably just focus on the multiplayer aspect.. that is after all what they are doing right at the moment.. no need to mess with that.

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

Woot, I followed suit!

I'd play it.

coldfrog:
The old achievement system made it feel like a single player game.

Am I the only one who likes this new system? Probably.

Hey, me too!

Nah its not the point of the game. It's designed to be a multiplayer game. I find that multiplayer games can't be switched back to single player well.

Fanusc101:
I thought it would be an unnecessary feature that would take away from the great multiplayer experience but I would love to hear what my fellow escapists think?

You answered your own question. Why ask it again?

I think there could be some cool ideas to sprout FROM the Franchise if they chose to take it that way. All the characters are strong, the universe and aesthetic are fantastic. It wouldn't take much work - other than the fact that it's so strongly associated with Multi-player gameplay that it would be back-flipping on their own product.

... So no.

Yes, but only so long as its a free release, and doesn't try to be halo or gears.
Just make it similar to Time Splitters, without the whole time travel thing.
Maybe include some scenes similar like the "meet the ____"
I think it would work quite well.

Should it? No. See all the posters putting the word "team" in bold.
Would it be cool if it did anyway? Hell yes.
I imagine, considering the team behind it, the game would be quite ingenious in it's delivery.
Team Fortress 2 already has a cast of awesome characters that people have grown fond of, being able to play as them in a single player game and expand their backstory further would be a fun addition. But it would be by no means necessary.

I personally would say yes, but only if the AI was ridiculously advanced and the missions were story-related, unlike ones like Battlefield 1942 where the missions are just chronologically ordered multiplayer maps. A campaign for TF2 should also include single-player achievements and stuff you really have to go out of your way for, like a rare multiplayer unlock, as opposed to story-based achievements.

But that's just me.

Erm...
Well someone beat me to it.

Mr.Tea:
TEAM Fortress 2

It couldn't hurt. But, I'd still probably play Multi-player more.

Xan Krieger:
Yes it needs single player. I have it (I got the Orange box) and I don't play it at all. I would if there were a single player option.

^ ??

The single player would either be completely awful in making you play as one class when they're supposed to work together or equally awful in just doing multiplayer but with predictable bots.

Further, if it were single player as well, wouldn't piracy of it increase?

I think it needs to have an Offline mode, like use Bots on the other team and for your team-mates.

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

dontworryaboutit:

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

elitepie931:
Erm...

Mr.Tea:
TEAM Fortress 2

Gaming_Purist:

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

The emphasis is making me dizzy...

wordsmith:

dontworryaboutit:

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

elitepie931:
Erm...

Mr.Tea:
TEAM Fortress 2

Gaming_Purist:

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

The emphasis is making me dizzy...

He's a WRECKIN' MACHINE!

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

He got in first and he got in best.

This is the type of game that would be completely ruined if it had any more "story".

The story now is that there are Red guys and Blu guys and they want to kill each other. It's perfect.

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

I want to be cool too.

Mr.Tea:
Team Fortress 2

This, and are you and your friend batshit insane?

joystickjunki3:
TF2 is a multiplayer game that would lose all of it's purpose thanks to AI that could not live up to human team work and amusement.

^this

I think that it would be nice to pull up a bot match occasionally, but overall no. TF2 works hard for it's multiplayer and it deserves it.

It could be made in a single player game (and could work quite well as long as it's done cleverly) just as they managed to include single player campaigns into multiplayer games like Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 and CoD4 (all of which were either fun or ok).

If their 'revolutionary design process' is as good as the fans say it is then I can't see any reason why a single player team game couldn't work (it worked for Quake Wars, single player on there is actually more fun than multiplayer).

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked