Good Nintendo DS games that does *NOT* use the touchscreen

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I'm looking for some nice NIntendo DS games that do not use the touchscreen.

And no, I'm not saying that the touch-screen is some sort of finnicky stupid gimmick.
Turth is, I lost my stylus and I ordered a bunch of new ones from a Korean site (among other things) and the shipment takes forever.
So meanwhile, I'll have to try to play games on my Nintendo DS without using a stylus.

Any ideas?
So far GTA: CW and Metriod Pinball seem to entertain me, but only for a limited ammount of time.

Any tips would be gladly appreciated

I could be wrong, but I'm not convinced many major or minor titles exsist in that category, as DS developers obviously base part of the game round the touch screen due to obligation from Nintendo I assume.

Disgaea DS. Touch screen is purely optional and it has hours of play time.
By hours I'm talking... maybe nine hundred or up if you wish to go for a perfect save file?

Sonic Rush, you cant do the bonus rounds though.

you could always use your finger. Or just a stick of plastic.

I think you can play Advance Wars without a stylus, that's a pretty good game.

I'm horribly ashamed to say this, but pokemon is quite nice, worth quite a bunch of hours of gameplay, and it's a solid RPG (if you get over the fact they made a shitty anime of it, and it's now destined to 9 years old :( ). You don't need the stylus to play it :o

Pokemons!

Ugh, I personally am not a big fan of RPGs, specially not turn-based RPGs.

Also, mind you that I can still use the fingers/thumbs on the touchscreen if some minor non-precision fiddling is required, like using the backup power-up slot in The New Super Mario Brothers and such.

Pokemon Platinum,
im nearly 20- and though "Hell, the last time i tried Pokemon was Blue on the gameboy, so what the hell"
I underestimated the game as an RPG, now i've got 50+ hours and climbing, and i do not play any of my other DS games. Im a big FF fan, but i find Pokèmon to be MUCH more entertaining.

EDIT* saw you'r new post, then id have to say New Super Mario Bros, or Mario Kart.
You lose lots of options if you don't enjoy turn based.

CyberAkuma:
Ugh, I personally am not a big fan of RPGs, specially not turn-based RPGs.

Also, mind you that I can still use the fingers/thumbs on the touchscreen if some minor non-precision fiddling is required, like using the backup power-up slot in The New Super Mario Brothers and such.

What about SRPGs?

If you like JRPGs, FF3 and FF4--neither one of them used the stylus. And New Super Mario Bros.

henry hatsworth and the puzzling adventure

Either of the new Advance wars games are good. You dont need the stylus but you can use it.

Does Castlevania Portrait of Ruin use the stylus?

I've seen a speedrun of the game and it only showed one screen.(compared to the 2 'screens' I saw in a New Super Mario Bros speedrun)

Super Mario Kart... How can you integrate a touch screen INTO that game to begin with??
Aside from moving through menus, of course...

CakeDragon:
Super Mario Kart... How can you integrate a touch screen INTO that game to begin with??

You mean Mario Kart DS. Super Mario Kart was a SNES game.

Anyway, what about Chrono Trigger. Even if you don't like JRPG's this game is so good that probably won't even matter.

Flour:
Does Castlevania Portrait of Ruin use the stylus?

I only have played Ecclesia which does not, I suppose none of the Castlevania do, and all are good platforms.

As for JRPGs: Chrono Trigger, 'nuff said.

Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja is good.

bouncymike999:
henry hatsworth and the puzzling adventure

Get it... NOW!
I'd say, any of the Castlevanias. But then they may not be your thing.
Final Fantasy Tactics?
Orcs and Elves?
Fire Emblem?
Chrono Trigger?

Advance Wars are pretty good. You can also play Worms 2, Castlevania games (Dawn of Sorrow uses stylus to draw magic seals, but only in special occasions).

Oh, and tons of GBC games if you have R4. Pokemon Silver on DS is just too good.

Bleach DS is a good one. Surprisingly good portable fighting game by Treasure, only uses the touchscreen as shortcuts for moves which you'd be better served pressing with your thumb instead of the stylus, or just inputting manually.

BwdYeti:
Bleach DS is a good one. Surprisingly good portable fighting game by Treasure, only uses the touchscreen as shortcuts for moves which you'd be better served pressing with your thumb instead of the stylus, or just inputting manually.

I assume you're talking about Dark Souls. Yeah, it's really good. You can use your right thumb to activate cards and specials (or Super attacks) if you don't feel like learning the UpDownX and so on. Too bad the touch screen gets dirty after an hour, but it's better than stylus ;p

MarioKart.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is a rather enjoyable game and if memory serves me right, the touch-screen is only used for a painting mini-game.

Advance Wars - any of them.

DQH: Rocket Slime is another. That game was really, really fun!

Try Contra 4
old skool, ass whipping, side-scrollin', ball bustin', harcore, shoot-em up gameplay and without a stylus and Portrait of ruin does not use the stylus and as far as I recall neither does Ecclesia.
Well that's all the DS game I own without stylus use so you better get crackin' and good luck.

Aardvark Soup:

CakeDragon:

You mean Mario Kart DS. Super Mario Kart was a SNES game.

Anyway, what about Chrono Trigger. Even if you don't like JRPG's this game is so good that probably won't even matter.

Tom-ay-to Tom-ah-to... >_>

khululy:
Try Contra 4
old skool, ass whipping, side-scrollin', ball bustin', harcore, shoot-em up gameplay

He can't. He lives in Sweden, and Contra 4 is not available in any of the PAL regions without importing.

If you're looking for a decent platformer, I'd go with Kirby Super Star Ultra. It's simple platforming at its finest, and you only have to use the touch screen for certain games. There's also Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon if (and only if) you're into turn-based strategy.

Also, you could try using a clicky-top/twisty-bottom pen until your styluses (styli?) arrive.

777 post FTW!

dudeigoesrawrs:
Pokemons!

This.
Shouldn't really need to be said though, so I'll go with N+.
Madical funsies.

Mario Kart DS, the best Mario Kart game IMO

Definitely Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
the only time you need to use the touchscreen is if you want to make your partner walk somewhere by themselves, which is pretty useless and I've never bothered with it.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Not what Castlevania used to be, but a damn good action platformer with RPG elements.

TheGreenManalishi:
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Not what Castlevania used to be, but a damn good action platformer with RPG elements.

That game is unbeatable without using the touchscreen.

I recommend Henry Hatsworth. It's an action platformer with a puzzler tacked on, and can be easily played using only the face buttons.

Custom Robo Arena!!!
it rules!!!!

Crono Trigger or Final Fantasy III.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked