Ds game recommendations

I have just bought a DS and want to know what the best games on the system are. I have mario 64 ds and son't want any casual games

Well these are just some of my suggestions, but:

The World Ends With You (if u like RPGS)
Mario Kart DS or Diddy Kong Racing
Chrono Trigger (more Rpgs)

I spent hours on the mario games.

IcemanFreeze:
The World Ends With You (if u like RPGS)
Mario Kart DS or Diddy Kong Racing
Chrono Trigger (more Rpgs)
Meteos
New Super Mario Bros.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Trauma Center 1 and 2
Professor Layton & the Curious Village
Metroid Prime: Hunters

I added my recommendations to your list. Really, there's loads of great games for the DS that can't exactly be defined as "casual."

Elite Beat Agents (though Rhythm Paradise / Heaven is supposed to be even better).

Wario Ware
Mario Kart DS
Trauma Centre
New Super Mario Bros

Lukeje:
Elite Beat Agents (though Rhythm Paradise / Heaven is supposed to be even better).

I wouldn't say that was true - EBA is a lot better.

Anyway:

Advance Wars (either is good)
Professor Layton
Either Trauma Centres

Advance Wars Days of Ruin (which I believe is by far better than Dual Strike)
Fire Emblem DS
If you're in for a challenge Ninja Gaiden DS
Even though it's casual Animal Crossing Wild World pretty much stole a year of my life
Mario Kart DS

All of the above and also Resident Evil DS, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (platinum is the best), Final Fantasy 3 and Dragon Ball: Origins are my reccomendations

Pokemon. Hours and Hours of fun. (grinding, collecting those little critters never got old)

Civ Rev
Pokemon
Fire Emblem DS
Mario Kart DS
the most recent Advanced Wars

All three Kirby games (Superstar Ultra, Canvas Curse, and Squeak Squad)
N+, especially if you like a challenge
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Trauma Center: Under the Knife (Haven't played UtK2 so I can't recommend that.)

The first 3 phoenix wright games,great point and click adventure with great wrighting. get it cause Phoenix last name is Wright, that sucked but the games don't. Mario and Luigi Partners in time for a quriky RPG that has a nice battle system. Also the remakes of Final Fantasy 3 and 4.

What genre do you like there are lots of great rpgs like Zelda the phantom hourglass, chrono trigger, the world ends with you or one of the many dragon quest or final fantasy games if you want a first person shooter you can't go wrong with metriod prime hunters or if puzzle games are more your thing meteos, tetris or picross are all fantasic. My personal top three would have to be hotel dusk room 215, GTA china town wars and Disgaea ds

Chinatown Wars and Pokemon are pretty good.
But seriously if you want something that will consume all your time for the rest of forever, get meteos (not the disney one). May be casual, but it's as addicting as Peggle.

Suidoken Tierkreis or whatever it's called.

Best DS RPG out, in my oppinion

Lukeje:

Rhythm Heaven is definitely the way to go. Elite beat Agents has a pretty good system for a music game but the music select is horrible. You can get the same experience of playing elite Beet Agents by printing out an anime picture, turning on youtube to some horrible song you hate and then repeatedly stabbing the picture with a knife. Actually that would actually be more fun as you could have more than ten songs and some satisfaction from it.

DS depends on the kinds of games you want to play. Incomplete list, but it`s better to think by genre.

Tactics games
Advance Wars
Disgaea
Final Fantasy Tactics

RPG
Valkyrie Profile
Chrono Trigger

Platformer
Castlevania

Other games
Rhythm Heaven
Brain Training

If it helps, I suggest you avoid anything 3D.

Trying to put 3D graphics on a device with about as much processing power as a piece of chalk is one of the worst things a developer can do.

The World Ends With You, best ds game out there
Phoenix Wright games
Apollo Justice
Chrono Trigger
Sonic Rush was actualy pretty good
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced 2
Guitar Hero

Chrono Trigger + Final Fantasy 3 and 4.

IndieRocker:
I have just bought a DS and want to know what the best games on the system are. I have mario 64 ds and son't want any casual games

You can't get less casual than Kights in the Nighmare.

If you want a good game to play while traveling I've found that Animal Crossing kills time like none other

KEEP FISHING OR YOU WILL GET FORECLOSED ON NOOOOOOO!1!!!11!!1!!!!!1!

My suggestions have been covered, so I'll just say that I can vouch for probably half of the games mentioned so far in this thread: they're good.

hopeneverdies:

I believe it's considered to be marginally more finely-tuned in its gameplay than Dual Strike, and has better online capabilities. But it's lost a good single-player game mode and, most damningly, it traded in the light and friendly character of the earlier games for a dreary, sombre style that's just no fun at all.

See this comic:
http://www.hypercombofinish.com/comic.php?id=44

NB. I haven't played Dual Strike, only Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin and one of the GBA games, so take this with a grain of salt.

Fraser.J.A:
My suggestions have been covered, so I'll just say that I can vouch for probably half of the games mentioned so far in this thread: they're good.

hopeneverdies:

I believe it's considered to be marginally more finely-tuned in its gameplay than Dual Strike, and has better online capabilities. But it's lost a good single-player game mode and, most damningly, it traded in the light and friendly character of the earlier games for a dreary, sombre style that's just no fun at all.

See this comic:
http://www.hypercombofinish.com/comic.php?id=44

NB. I haven't played Dual Strike, only Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin and one of the GBA games, so take this with a grain of salt.

Trust me, that margin is huge. Dual Strike was extremely broken with its tag system. Sounds good on paper but if you were to take Eagle and Sami and used a tag power, that person gets 3 turns because Eagle gives all non infantry units a second move and instant captures on Sami's round. Check and mate. Or really any combo at all will almost certainly devastate your enemy and vice versa. You also can end up charging your enemy's tag which screws you over in some missions. The new units were mostly useless, with Carrier being nerfed in the next game. And a ton of unit balance was added. Despite DoR's darker tone, it is a lot better.

BRAIN TRAINING W00T!

I love The World Ends With You.
It's just a plain awesome game.
Also try Hotel Dusk: Room 215, especially if you enjoyed the old Monkey Island games and whatnot.

I know it's been said a lot, but it really can't be stressed enough.
Mariokart is probably the only consistantly fun game I've played for ds, I've played some amazing games but gotten bored after a while. This game is something that never gets old.

If you're not worried about consistancy and just want some amazing fun then I'd definately suggest N+ or Chrono trigger, they can eat up a lot of time.

Elite Beat Agents
Professor Layton
Wario Ware
Chinatown Wars

lend of zelda: phantom hourglass was fun, simcity DS if you like simulations and all the things above me :D

any of the 3 castlevania games i think they are the best ds games

Chrono Trigger and TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass.

I'm only getting a DS to play the Pokemon Gold and Silver remakes when they come out so I recommend that.

The Disgaea DS port is very good, one of my most played DS games.

New Super Mario Bros. is a must have, as it is very challenging.

Mario Kart is a must too, because the racing challenges you can have with total strangers at Neil Gaiman book signings is in my experience one of the things to do before you die.

At LEAST play the first Phoenix Wright game, if only for the experience of a new kind of point and click game.

GTA Chinatown Wars is also challenging for some, but easy to pick up and play.

Space Invaders Extreme is also a must have.

Pokemon Platinum, has all the old 151 Pokemon in it allegedly.

The World Ends With You and Chrono Trigger = <3

I reckon Rune Factory is a good game too.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here