D&D the peasant railgun?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

so while i was spending some time running through 1d4chan i came across this recipe for peasent railgun:-

1. Hire a ton of peasants; let's just say that it is two thousand two hundred and eighty. Line them up in single file; this will form a chain of peasants two miles long. It'd be four miles back in MY day (witness me hiking up my 2nd Edition suspenders).

2. Buy a ladder. Just buy a standard, ten-foot ladder. Disassemble the ladder into a bunch of rungs and a pair of mighty ten-foot wooden poles. Hand a pole to the peasant at the back of line.

3. First round of combat. Peasant at the front of line readies an action to throw the pole at the enemy. Every peasant behind him readies an action to hand the pole to the peasant in front of him.

4. Next round: peasants fire off their readied actions, passing the pole two miles down the line and hurling it in six seconds or less. Pole accelerates to the speed of 1200 miles per hour, or a little less than Mach 2 at sea level.

5. Peasant Railgun can be reloaded and fired in less than 12 seconds.

6. ????? - Really, your choice. Weapon is scalable, you could use your peasant railgun to fire a number of things at a really long range. Add more peasants to make the weapons even faster; paint them red to make them fasta. Use gobbos to make a DnD grot cannon. Hurl pointy bombs for HEAT weapons. Severed heads make an impressive psychological warfare tool. It's even more wild with a bag of holding - place a team of fighters in it for DYNAMIC ENTRY over castle walls and shit, hurl some fucking bear cavalry directly into enemy lines, who knows. Combine this with the 15,000,000 gold-a-day trick and you're ready to absolutely ruin your DM's day.

7. Motherfucking PROFIT

does this work i mean seriously this sounds like such an awesome idea.

Any half decent GM will make you personally roll for every peasants fumble chance and god help you if the guy in the middle fails a roll & sends it back at you :D

Indeed, this seems a wondrous exploatation of rule loopholes. However, it is unlikely to ruin your DMs day unless he's a complete schmuck who lets you get away with everything.

If I were DMing and someone tried to pull this off, I'd have one of the peasants wander off to take a leak, one be too stupid to grab the pole (he's a PEASANT!), one start flirting with the peasant in front of him, one would forget to grab the pole, one would fall asleep, etc. And THAT'S assuming I LET the player in question round up a few hundred peasants in the first place. Heck, I'd probably have the local lord dispatch a battalion of elite guards to quell the alleged "peasant revolt" and proceed to slaughter the peasants in question.

Basically, you can't ruin a good GMs day, you can only provide him with an excuse to make your life a living hell.

I agree with the above posts, that's literally asking your DM for a cave-in, lightning to hit all your characters at once, a nearby star to explode... etc.

Jandau:
Indeed, this seems a wondrous exploatation of rule loopholes. However, it is unlikely to ruin your DMs day unless he's a complete schmuck who lets you get away with everything.

If I were DMing and someone tried to pull this off, I'd have one of the peasants wander off to take a leak, one be too stupid to grab the pole (he's a PEASANT!), one start flirting with the peasant in front of him, one would forget to grab the pole, one would fall asleep, etc. And THAT'S assuming I LET the player in question round up a few hundred peasants in the first place. Heck, I'd probably have the local lord dispatch a battalion of elite guards to quell the alleged "peasant revolt" and proceed to slaughter the peasants in question.

Basically, you can't ruin a good GMs day, you can only provide him with an excuse to make your life a living hell.

i still thought it was a funny and the whole idea of using it as siege weaponry to launch people over walls was hilarious.

Rocks fall, everybody dies.

-_-

Though the idea of dynamic entry over a wall sounds fun.

Oh. My. God....

you sir, deserve a cookie for you just blew my mind.

Brilliant! Me and my friends are currently at war with another country in D&D and this is the ultimate weapon. Those peasants don't have anything else to do in war anyways.

Cool idea, but it wouldn't work because the GM would sabotage it relentlessly

Ernstige Jan:
Brilliant! Me and my friends are currently at war with another country in D&D and this is the ultimate weapon. Those peasants don't have anything else to do in war anyways.

well peasants always serve as good human shields much better human sheilds than imperial gaurd (40k references :3)

Jandau:

Agreed. But if it was me I'd probably let a player get away with it just once.

Besides which, having a bunch of peasants kill a colossal would be almost as hilarious as watching the player make 2,280 fumble rolls.

If you're seeing those peasants as just Readied Throw Actions, you're playing it wrong.

And as for peasants not having anything to do in a war... Armies march on their stomachs for one thing.. Peasants need to farm the food to feed the armies, and even just being there can give a morale boost to a good army.. a Good Army doesn't fight for itself, or other military types, it fights for the lowest man.

THAT IS FUCKING AWESOME

I don't understand how passing it through the hands of 2,280 peasants would make it go 1200 miles an hour...and you can't do this in one round wether they're cued or not. For one person to draw a weapon,pass something or drink a potion whaetever is half a round, it counts as an action.. so your talking 1,140 rounds to do this. Or 114 turns...o.0 I don't get it. Either that or you have a terrible dm.

I don't understand, am i the only one that doesn't get this?

Da_Schwartz:
I don't understand how passing it through the hands of 2,280 peasants would make it go 1200 miles an hour...and you can't do this in one round wether they're cued or not. For one person to draw a weapon,pass something or drink a potion whaetever is half a round, it counts as an action.. so your talking 600 rounds to do this. o.0 I don't get it. Either that or you have a terrible dm.

read the original post carefull i got this off 1d4chan possibly used in one of the older editions or something.

Jandau:

This.
When I was a GM, if the players messed around I'd just decide that all the objects near them were evil and animated. Problem solved.

Yeah, try that in a game I run, I dare ya!

This entire thing stinks of "because I can". IF it works, it will inevitably foreshadow you being attacked by a drqagon. Because I can, too...

This is one of those situations where sense should take priority over the rules.

Its fun what can be done when you abuse the rules in D&D, 3rd edition specifically. Personally, my favorite is turning the Locate City spell into a bomb that will wipe out everything that doesn't have improved evasion AND makes the save within an [x] mile radius where [x] is the character's caster level x 100.

The spell itself normally does exactly what the name implies.

I wonder what the damage would be, if a DM actually allowed this.
I don't play D&D, but after reading somewhere that there is a set of rules for thrown weapons I'm wondering if every peasant adds damage, or that even after passing through 2000 actions it still does the damage from the last peasant who throws it.(don't think there's a speed rule)

If the DM wanted to be an ass, he or she would make you roll if each peasant grabs the pole and then make the pole do the lowest amount of damage possible.

I still don't get it. I've played dnd for like 15 years..and i dont understand the concept behind this. Is this liek some new general understanding with players theese days of ways to cheat and bend the rules of the Phb. I mean really? We need to cheat and be as uber as possible in tabletop games now too? LOL what am i missing here?

Rodger:
Its fun what can be done when you abuse the rules in D&D, 3rd edition specifically. Personally, my favorite is turning the Locate City spell into a bomb that will wipe out everything that doesn't have improved evasion AND makes the save within an [x] mile radius where [x] is the character's caster level x 100.

how on earth do you do that...

If I were a DM I'd let you do it at least once just for the lulz. You'd deserve that much just for thinking of it\having the guts to do it. I'd even let you break my campaign just for the sheer awesomeness.

I can just see some PCs bringing down an epic level monster with 10K peasants chain firing objects a supersonic speeds.

You know, if my players did this, they'd have their epic-level asses shot by so many Gods it wouldn't even be funny.

Yondalla does not appreciate tomfoolery.

Why is everyone so hung up over rules? I didn't notice any rules. I just noticed an absolutely absurd situation where two miles worth of peasants can mimic the speed and force of a magnetic superweapon.

If I were a DM and one of the players suggested that to me, I would totally let it work exactly once. Just for the sheer WTFery.

Granted, in the instance I'd let it work, it would either have to be a really really pointless target (Mother May's Pie Shoppe, which overcharged them) or a really really pointlessly challenging target (the Tarrasque).

w-Jinksy:
so while i was spending some time running through 1d4chan i came across this recipe for peasent railgun:-

1. Hire a ton of peasants; let's just say that it is two thousand two hundred and eighty. Line them up in single file; this will form a chain of peasants two miles long. It'd be four miles back in MY day (witness me hiking up my 2nd Edition suspenders).

2. Buy a ladder. Just buy a standard, ten-foot ladder. Disassemble the ladder into a bunch of rungs and a pair of mighty ten-foot wooden poles. Hand a pole to the peasant at the back of line.

3. First round of combat. Peasant at the front of line readies an action to throw the pole at the enemy. Every peasant behind him readies an action to hand the pole to the peasant in front of him.

4. Next round: peasants fire off their readied actions, passing the pole two miles down the line and hurling it in six seconds or less. Pole accelerates to the speed of 1200 miles per hour, or a little less than Mach 2 at sea level.

5. Peasant Railgun can be reloaded and fired in less than 12 seconds.

6. ????? - Really, your choice. Weapon is scalable, you could use your peasant railgun to fire a number of things at a really long range. Add more peasants to make the weapons even faster; paint them red to make them fasta. Use gobbos to make a DnD grot cannon. Hurl pointy bombs for HEAT weapons. Severed heads make an impressive psychological warfare tool. It's even more wild with a bag of holding - place a team of fighters in it for DYNAMIC ENTRY over castle walls and shit, hurl some fucking bear cavalry directly into enemy lines, who knows. Combine this with the 15,000,000 gold-a-day trick and you're ready to absolutely ruin your DM's day.

7. Motherfucking PROFIT

does this work i mean seriously this sounds like such an awesome idea.

No. a) The DM wouldn't allow it b) the DM would make you do a shit ton of rolls to make sure that would work.

Am I the only one who doesn't think that would even work?
There are no rules in D&D for momentum, last I checked. What you'd end up with is a pole being handed very quickly from one peasant to another, moving at supersonic speeds, and then reaching the last guy and getting thrown just as if he had it in hand at the start of his turn. It'd make a damn good bucket chain, and if you give every peasant a javelin it'd give the guy in front an effectively infinite number of the things, but as a railgun, I don't see it working. In any case, I'd never let my players get away with stuff like this, even if the letter of the rules allowed it.

Hellsbells:

Rodger:

how on earth do you do that...

There's some noncore metamagic feats which allow you to add damage to any spell with an AoE. Locate City is one such spell, and said area is measured in miles. Combine the two and you end up with the world's largest fireball spell.

So i wasn't wrong i just couldn't comprehend how dull cheap and lame that is to say that if everyone passes at once it'll be liek a magnet and fire at lighting fast speed....Seriously. It's not about being a hardass with the core rules..it's about i dunno, physics..common sense? Like...This is why we don't play 3rd and 4th edition...you've all become "that guy" at the table.
You know. The same guy that wishes his +5 platemail and gauntlets of ogre power and girdle of giant strength to be perma welded to their body. Then assume that because u can now lift like 1200 pounds that if u change your body weight to about 650 then your one giant awesome walking muscle. When in all reality your now just some fat dude with overflowing bitch tits and 6 elbows. Stoping being lame and go get me more cheetos. Oh and refill my dew on your way back.

Da_Schwartz:
*Whaaammmbulance*

Was your tone really necessary? You first post, fine, but this?

Yes, physically, it wouldn't work, but still, is it a neat idea? Yes, flawed, but yes, it is a neat idea.

You run into the slight problem that speed/momentum grants no benefits under DnD rules, thus you achieve nothing more than throwing a 10 Ft pole at the enemy.

Okay, yeah, i know this is a dead thread, but really? REALLY? Take the 10 ft pole out of your asses and just laugh at it. It was supposed to be funny. There are no rules for momentum, correct, so it obviously wouldn't work in the RAW, and its so illogical that no DM would allow it anyway. It's just supposed to be a funny thought. I laughed. Why not take a second and picture the 2 miles of peasants firing a wooden pole at Mach 2? You know it makes a small part of you giggle. If it doesn't, you are way to cynical to be playing a game with fire-breathing dragons and unicorns.

I've heard of this as well, and really, I've never thought it held any clout whatsoever, and would never allow it in my games, lol

that being said - LOL

DarkLunarian:
Okay, yeah, i know this is a dead thread, but really? REALLY? Take the 10 ft pole out of your asses and just laugh at it. It was supposed to be funny. There are no rules for momentum, correct, so it obviously wouldn't work in the RAW, and its so illogical that no DM would allow it anyway. It's just supposed to be a funny thought. I laughed. Why not take a second and picture the 2 miles of peasants firing a wooden pole at Mach 2? You know it makes a small part of you giggle. If it doesn't, you are way to cynical to be playing a game with fire-breathing dragons and unicorns.

Agreed, but I found people taking it seriously made it even funnier. I just laughed my head off, and as a GM/DM I would allow it for sheer awesomeness. I had a mental image off arrows flying from hands at extreme high speeds and the line of peasants turning to aim... Chuckle chuckle...

Da_Schwartz:
I don't understand how passing it through the hands of 2,280 peasants would make it go 1200 miles an hour...and you can't do this in one round wether they're cued or not. For one person to draw a weapon,pass something or drink a potion whaetever is half a round, it counts as an action.. so your talking 1,140 rounds to do this. Or 114 turns...o.0 I don't get it. Either that or you have a terrible dm.

I don't understand, am i the only one that doesn't get this?

It comes from the idea that it basically takes no time in game (It's not an action in the games sense) to pass an item from one person to a person next to you. So theoretically you could, in the rules of the game, have a line of peasants 1000 miles long and just have them pass important stuff between two distant cities at instant speed.. The actual result in the rules is more similar to an ethernet cable then a railgun. Still Ludicrous, but leave it to the internet to take a ludicrous idea and make it even ludicrousier

I just asked my dm (and boyfriend). His answer was 'go try', but I'm not sure I like THAT smile :|

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked