TF2 Weapon Levels?

I have recently noticed something very peculiar while playing a few rounds of TF2 the following night.
I'm shure most of you TF2 players out there have gotten all of the unlockable weapons and a few (or a lot) of duplicates and have preceded to delete them.
As I was about to start deleting items I didn't need I noticed something strange. You know the levels they put on unlockable weapons that don't really mean anything I saw a flare gun, instead of the normal level 5 that was on all the other flare guns this one said level 92. I decided to equip that particular weapon and use it in battle to see if it was just a minor glitch, people that i killed with it told me it did say level 92 flare gun. After that I looked at the rest of my weapons and noticed the following

Level 92 Flare Gun
Level 64 KGB
Level 31 Backburner

I then saw someone who had somehting similar, he had a level 92 Jarate
After some testing in a private server, we came to the conclusion that these weapons did not have any significant difference towards the other regular leveled weapons

The point of this story is that I believe Valve is going to introduce some sort of new unlockables in the form of rare more powerful weaponry (obviously this is a bad idea which would cause the game to be unbalanced and result in a drastic failure like a previous unlock system that need not be mentioned) This also led me to think maybe these weapons wont have a significant advantage and will just be rare drops like the useless hats, only to show the person u kill that u have a supposedly rare weapon. This thinking is still going on and I would love to hear any opinions or info u have on this occurance

I apologize but i wasn't able to upload pictures of the aforementioned items but please take my word for it.

- Stephen

Yeah I always noticed the levels. I thought there were just in there as a joke.

Valve does like to play jokes on us and I think they find it funny how rumors spread like they do.

Man, now I feel super left out. I still don't have all the items (one of the Spy ones refuses to drop for me and I suck as Spy), I don't have any hats, and I haven't gotten (or even seen) any of these higher level weapons.

Edit: As an aside, does anyone know how often items tend to drop? I've played for like 17 hours since the Spy/Sniper update and only got like three new items not from achievements.

I miss out on all the TF2 fun, because I have it on the 360.

We don't even get a Sandvich!

Yeah it's a joke.

Calobi:
Man, now I feel super left out. I still don't have all the items (one of the Spy ones refuses to drop for me and I suck as Spy), I don't have any hats, and I haven't gotten (or even seen) any of these higher level weapons.

Edit: As an aside, does anyone know how often items tend to drop? I've played for like 17 hours since the Spy/Sniper update and only got like three new items not from achievements.

It's random. Once I was playing Medic and got all three of the Spy drops in the course of about an hour. I play sniper quite a bit, and still have only the Huntsman and Jarate. *Shrug*

Crazzee:

Calobi:

It's random. Once I was playing Medic and got all three of the Spy drops in the course of about an hour. I play sniper quite a bit, and still have only the Huntsman and Jarate. *Shrug*

Pfff, razorback sucks anyway, would not replace the koukri for it.

As people have said, it's probably a joke, but Valve have mentioned making their drops different from each other...

*Looks for source of info...*

Bah, I can't find anything... I swear I read it somewhere!

Well, either way, Valve aren't done with the TF2 drops yet. They want to make them tradeable and stuff, so maybe the level of the weapons actually does mean something.

stinkychops:

Crazzee:

Calobi:

You don't. You replace the SMG or Jarate.

sm0kybac0n:

stinkychops:

Crazzee:

Calobi:

You don't. You replace the SMG or Jarate.

Yeah, and on that note, I actually like using the Razorback, but people think you're meant to run into battle with it. No no no... you use it when sniping from afar, and it stops you having to look around for spies constantly. I know they can just shoot you in the head, but stupid spies tend to get electrocuted quite a lot, and then you get to finish them off with your weapon.

The Razorback has saved me many-a-time, although the loss of movement speed has gotten me killed many-a-time aswell.

The levels were a joke to begin with, but now that they've started introducing different levels for the same item, which (so far) do not actually affect anything about the item, I'm hoping it's still a joke, but am unsure.

How's a Bonk! a level 5 lunch-box? It's a can of soda for crying out loud. Same with Sandvich, I'd think that would be a higher level (since it's kind of in everybody's lunch-box).

At first I thought it was a joke, but turns out they are working on something big with the whole multiple of the same item bit.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked