Poké Pedometer?

Apparently when you buy Pokémon: Heart Gold or Pokémon: Soul Silver, you get a little pokéball that you can carry around with you in your pocket that counts how many steps you take.

I'm confused. Why exactly is this being released with the game? What's next, a Zelda blood pressure monitor?

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's what the ad seems to be showing. If anybody can translate Japanese, or has a better speculation as to what this device is or does (does it evolve you pokemon as you walk?), please feel free to explain.

Link for the ad follows:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese-debut-pokemon-heart/52494

EDIT- It seems the fine folks at The Escapist newsroom have already solved this dillema, explaining all about the strange little peripheral with this article. That said, in order to make this thread discussion worthy, I ask you- what are the strangest/most innovative/most useless peripherals you have ever encountered in gaming?

Also, about the pedometer, why do I envision a bunch of clever kids just putting these things on top of their washing machines and dryers?

It's to allow you to grind, but this time with the excuse of calling it exercise.

My first impression, being uneducated about what the hell a pedometer was, I thought, "Oh great, a pedophile meter....for a game."

Anyways, my opinion. I can picture a bunch of kids sitting down and just ending up shaking the hell out of the meters.

So... does it do anything in the game or have any effect at all on it?

Train Pokemon While Walking In Gold/Silver Remakes
The escapist already had a news article on this, the pedometer allows you to train pokemon while walking.

Assassin Xaero:

You know how in Pokemon, if you put your Pokemon in the daycare, they'd get an experience point for every step you took?

It's kinda like that, except In Real Life. So you can level up your Pokemon without having to grind wild Poke's inside Victory Road.

Well there is that DS glucose meter now for diabetic kids, so this doesnt surprise me.

RavingPenguin:
The escapist already had a news article on this, the pedometer allows you to train pokemon while walking.

At first, I thought that this thing was just a gimmick, but that's actually a fairly useful peripheral (if you can call it that, since its mobile) for leveling up pokemon when busy.

It looks like you transfer a pokemon to it and the more steps it tracks, it will level your pokemon up.

Still wondering what happens if you break it with your pokémon on it.

Think about what platform the game is on. It's a handheld device, therefore Nintendo has a feeling most people will be on the move while playing the game, at least in Japan anyways.

All I can say is that I'm in awe, but I'm not sure if it's in a good or bad way.

But then again it hasn't inspired me to jump ahead of my other games and crack open my copy of Pokemon Platinum. :P

Honestly though I would immediatly guess that something like that won't make it to the US market anyway.

Flying-Emu:

Assassin Xaero:

You know how in Pokemon, if you put your Pokemon in the daycare, they'd get an experience point for every step you took?

It's kinda like that, except In Real Life. So you can level up your Pokemon without having to grind wild Poke's inside Victory Road.

Oh... that is kind of cool... doesn't make up for the names though...

A pedometer that trains your Pokemon while you walk? DAMMIT NINTENDO! Stop trying to get gamers to exercise!

Dart378:
My first impression, being uneducated about what the hell a pedometer was, I thought, "Oh great, a pedophile meter....for a game."

Anyways, my opinion. I can picture a bunch of kids sitting down and just ending up shaking the hell out of the meters.

That's what I was thinking too.

Assassin Xaero:

Pedo is Latin for foot. Meter is (I think) either Greek or Latin for measure. Pedometer=foot measure, or step measure.

Pedophilia is, if you dissect the roots, foot lover. So it's not Nintendo's fault at all; it's semantics.

Flying-Emu:

Assassin Xaero:

Pedo is Latin for foot. Meter is (I think) either Greek or Latin for measure. Pedometer=foot measure, or step measure.

Pedophilia is, if you dissect the roots, foot lover. So it's not Nintendo's fault at all; it's semantics.

Oh no, I wasn't talking about that... Might just be me, but Heart Gold and Soul Silver? Those are probably the most awful names they could have come up with... I said Shiny Gold and Sparkly Silver as a joke once, but I think those would be better then Heart and Soul...

Radeonx:

RavingPenguin:

At first, I thought that this thing was just a gimmick, but that's actually a fairly useful peripheral (if you can call it that, since its mobile) for leveling up pokemon when busy.

Yeah maybe, I still think this:

Dart378:

will happen but those who use it right, and have busy schedules, will definitely find it useful.

SuperMse:
What's next, a Zelda blood pressure monitor?

Close.
As you can see, it's not Zelda themed.

run fatty run you want a lvl 100 right

Dart378:

I'm both happy and sad. Sad, because I thought the same thing at first. Happy, because I wasn't the only one.

How sad would your life be if you were caught with a pokeball in your pocket by the opposite sex?

SuperMse:
Apparently when you buy Pokémon: Heart Gold or Pokémon: Soul Silver, you get a little pokéball that you can carry around with you in your pocket that counts how many steps you take.

I'm confused. Why exactly is this being released with the game? What's next, a Zelda blood pressure monitor?

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's what the ad seems to be showing. If anybody can translate Japanese, or has a better speculation as to what this device is or does (does it evolve you pokemon as you walk?), please feel free to explain.

Link for the ad follows:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese-debut-pokemon-heart/52494

EDIT- It seems the fine folks at The Escapist newsroom have already solved this dillema, explaining all about the strange little peripheral with this article. That said, in order to make this thread discussion worthy, I ask you- what are the strangest/most innovative/most useless peripherals you have ever encountered in gaming?

Also, about the pedometer, why do I envision a bunch of clever kids just putting these things on top of their washing machines and dryers?

As you may have noticed, Nintendo is on a raging health trend. They want gamers to get a little more exercise which is admirable.
With this device you can put a pokemon on it and walk it's levels up.

I might get it, grab a starter and go walk up one of the hills in the Lake district of England.
See what happens with a trip up and back down, how many levels I will get.

Think the sadness goes up with the age...

Although I am no longer a Nintendo fan (i think most of their games are stupid and the things that come come with them are even more so) but I actually think this is a good idea.

I'm going to make a machine that shakes it all day and night, I will have level 100s in no time!

the ds touch screen. waste of my money...

When this comes out I will definitely be searching for the best appliance to tape it to so that it counts steps without me having to exercise.

One more accesory for my dogs collar, it seems, the hyperactive little fuzzball will have made my party all level 99 within a week.

Dart378:

Well hey, what better game to attach a pedophile sensor to than a pokemon game? Keeps junior out of the way of creeps.

In all seriousness...meh, just another gimmick.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked