Osu! A Rhythm Game you have to play

Flying-Emu Found...

"Osu!" is a Freeware rhythm game for the PC. Based on the original Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan game that inspired the American hit Elite Beat Agents, Osu! already contains a number of popular songs to play in both Solo and Multiplayer mode (Such as Caramelldansen, Through the Fire and Flames, and the Super Mario Brothers Ground Theme), two special modes (Taiko Drum and Catch The Beat), and editing tools to make your own "Beatmaps" of MP3s or OGG files.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE ADVERTISEMENT

I stumbled across this game a year or so ago and found it positively addicting. I rediscovered it last night and, after convincing Scotth266 to download and join me, spent three or four hours score-battling. I decided that it might be a good idea to share this game with my fellow Escapists.

Like I said, the game is completely free, all the downloadable tracks are free, everything is FREE. If possible, if enough people download and play, with the help of the new User Group function (once it goes live, of course), I'd like to start up an Escapist Osu! community.

The download for Osu! can be found at Osu!'s main page here.

The game DOES have a sharp learning curve for newcomers, considering the games small community, but you can find some rather easy songs to start off on such as the Star Wars Disco beatmap and Anime Beatpack.

If anyone has any questions regarding installation or play of this game, feel free to PM me; I'll help you the best I can.

Note to Mods:
If this seems too close to an advertisement, please lock it. Simply wanted to share one of my favorite games with the folks here.

You have officially sparked my interests. Watching videos of it right now.

Put it in the "user reviews" thread, FE.

Erana:
Put it in the "user reviews" thread, FE.

I figured that, since this was more of a "Hey, you should check out this game and tell me what you think" than a review.

Besides, Scott is writing the review :). But I'll ask a Mod if it should be in User Reviews.

What, do people suddenly go mute when the color pink is present? Jeez.

This game is the best thing I've played all year. Why?

Play it and find out. At least until I write my review.

Interesting. What kind of songs does it have on it? These two are just nintendo theme tunes (not that there's anything wrong with that but variety is always goods).

Installing it now, let madness ensue! And such.

Flying-Emu:
Osu! already contains a number of popular songs to play in both Solo and Multiplayer mode (Such as Caramelldansen, Through the Fire and Flames, and the Super Mario Brothers Ground Theme)

I may be alone in this, but I find it funny that caramelldansen and TTFAF are mentioned back to back.

Anyway, you mention that everything is free, how does that work with licensed/copyrighted songs? Do you just download the 'beatmap' and then supply a legally owned music file yourself?

lostclause:
Interesting. What kind of songs does it have on it? These two are just nintendo theme tunes (not that there's anything wrong with that but variety is always goods).

Everything from licensed music to video game themes and internet memes (like the Rick Roll) and techno remixes done by the actual userbase.

AbuFace:

Flying-Emu:
Osu! already contains a number of popular songs to play in both Solo and Multiplayer mode (Such as Caramelldansen, Through the Fire and Flames, and the Super Mario Brothers Ground Theme)

I may be alone in this, but I find it funny that caramelldansen and TTFAF are mentioned back to back.

Anyway, you mention that everything is free, how does that work with licensed/copyrighted songs? Do you just download the 'beatmap' and then supply a legally owned music file yourself?

The song is provided with the beatmap. They're used under the Fair Use thingy I'm assuming; if the company asks for the beatmap to be taken down, Osu! complies. I think that happened with a few Zeppelin songs back when the system was first getting going.

ChromeAlchemist:
Installing it now, let madness ensue! And such.

High five!

Flying-Emu:

High five!

*High Fives violently*

This looks pretty cool. I'm definitely gonna download it. Just FYI, though, the title of this thread looks like you're referring to the Japanese Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! DS game instead of a unique PC game.

Timbydude:
This looks pretty cool. I'm definitely gonna download it. Just FYI, though, the title of this thread looks like you're referring to the Japanese Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! DS game instead of a unique PC game.

Because Osu! is based on Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! as I mentioned in the OP.

Flying-Emu:

Timbydude:

Oh, no I get that now. I was just saying for future reference, in the thread title you might want to somehow clarify that this is a different game.

And why do I say that? Because this game really is amazing and I never would have found it had curiosity not gotten the better of me. Thank you so much for the recommendation!!!

Timbydude:

Flying-Emu:

Timbydude:

Oh, no I get that now. I was just saying for future reference, in the thread title you might want to somehow clarify that this is a different game.

And why do I say that? Because this game really is amazing and I never would have found it had curiosity not gotten the better of me. Thank you so much for the recommendation!!!

A pleasure. Enjoy!

is it just me or does it look EXTREMELY HARD? Oo

Moriarty:

Some songs are. That's a common issue: people who want easier beatmaps are sort of left out of the mix.

Thankfully, there's a whole lotta modes you can play. You can turn on a No Fail option, or just a Relax option that only makes you follow the action and not have to click. There's also two entirely different modes: a Catch the Note mode (where you control a dude with the arrow keys to catch fruit) and another mode where you only have to click to the beat of the song.

Moriarty:

I can suggest some songs to begin with, if you like.

Flying-Emu:

Moriarty:

I'm afraid that won't be necessary. It does seem interesting but there's no macfriendly version of it

xxhazyshadowsxx:

Lemme know if you download. I'll totally Osu! against you.

Flying-Emu:

xxhazyshadowsxx:

Lemme know if you download. I'll totally Osu! against you.

*Shameless Bump*

I mean...err...how about those current events eh? Pretty...pretty current.

ChromeAlchemist:

*Shameless Bump*

As current as could be, I suppose.

I see that you must have enjoyed your experiment with Osu! though.

My only gripe with the game is that, having played Elite Beat Agents on DS, it's definitely a step down having to use the mouse. Sequences that I could have pulled off effortlessly in EBA are suddenly substantially more difficult since I have to precisely move a pointer to each circle.

It's still pretty fun, though. I downloaded some Chocobo theme (by Hyadain), though, and the "Gold" difficulty literally made my jaw drop. Is that the norm for tough songs? Because that looks next to impossible to pull off.

Flying-Emu, you have just convinced me to go Osu!

Moriarty:

Flying-Emu:

Moriarty:

I'm afraid that won't be necessary. It does seem interesting but there's no macfriendly version of it

There isn't? Dang! This looked like fun, too!

scotth266:

ChromeAlchemist:

*Shameless Bump*

As current as could be, I suppose.

I see that you must have enjoyed your experiment with Osu! though.

It's madness. Super Mario techno remix and Twilight Princess: Hidden mountain and forest(?) are ridiculously hard. Just...ridiculous.

Timbydude:
My only gripe with the game is that, having played Elite Beat Agents on DS, it's definitely a step down having to use the mouse. Sequences that I could have pulled off effortlessly in EBA are suddenly substantially more difficult since I have to precisely move a pointer to each circle.

It's still pretty fun, though. I downloaded some Chocobo theme (by Hyadain), though, and the "Gold" difficulty literally made my jaw drop. Is that the norm for tough songs? Because that looks next to impossible to pull off.

If you have a tablet (like for drawing) you can use that to play. I've seen people do some pretty crazy songs with that.

But no; Chocobo Hyadain Gold is a bit above the average hard song. It takes a long time to get to those, even on tablet controllers, but you can get there eventually.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked