Guild Wars 2 Mounts, why all the fuss?

I recently had a peek at Gamespot's forum concerning Mounts in Guild Wars 2 and a lot of people were furious, claiming that by introducin mounts you would be turning the game into WoW, the very idea made some people sick with rage.
For anyone who's played GW recently and knows how long it takes to get from A to B, mounts seem to be a pretty good idea, especially considering half the pets seem designed for it.
I don't see the problem, people say it would create elitism.
(yes there are mapmarkers! But they are few and far between e.g. Fort Ranik-->Regent Valley)
what do you think?

Well, It does seem like they're trying to match WoW, and that does concern me a bit. The current formula works, and works well. If it isnt broken, dont try to fix it.

what do you mean few and far between O.o gw2 without mounts would be silly because it is persistant (like wow and every other mmo) but the current gw doesnt need mounts at all. thats what map travel is for

Oisnafas:
Well, It does seem like they're trying to match WoW, and that does concern me a bit.

There isn't an MMO out there that isn't trying to be World of Warcraft. What company wouldn't want 11,000,000+ people playing their game?

and yea i agree i think they are only changing it so much because they see how successful wow is and they all want a piece of that delicious cake. also i think that a lot of guild wars players only play it because it has no subscription fees and anet are probably getting a quite a few comments from people wishing it was more like wow which is silly because if they listened to the true fans they would find that the game is brilliant as it is and they shouldnt make such rediculous changes to it

Are mounts confirmed for Guild Wars 2 or is this just speculation on a forum?

given the nature of gw2 i would be surprised if they werent

i wouldn't mind having mounts as long as we have something like map travel like in the original one. It would be cool if they were allowed to use skills on a mount, like how you use skills to protect yourself while running. Using spells and skills on a mount would set it apart from WoW, imo.

Cpt_Oblivious:

Oisnafas:
Well, It does seem like they're trying to match WoW, and that does concern me a bit.

There isn't an MMO out there that isn't trying to be World of Warcraft. What company wouldn't want 11,000,000+ people playing their game?

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the those people were Asian, and half of those work in sweat shops.

I bought World of Warcraft and it was BORING! I've played Runescape for 7 years, so I'm obviously a fan of mindless grind, but W.O.W. it turned me off completely.

Back on-topic, I don't think a game having mounts turns it into World of Warcraft.

Woah GW2 is actually still alive? I thought NCSoft delayed it until they could go out of business and say "shucks". GW is the only MMO I enjoy playing and the Beta should have been out 2 years ago if not for the shameless delays.

Mounts are a good idea, sorry. If you play GW, you got alot of money leftover for playing around with since most gear is crafted from creature drops and crafting materials, so...

Anyway, it's a good idea.

I don't mind/care if they have mounts in GW as long as it feels right.
It's not a big deal really, just means of transportation.
As for GW trying to be WoW I sure hope not, I found wow extremly boring, the community tiresome and immature not to mention I dislike raiding in general, no matter what game.
As for wanting the same kind of profit as WoW, that I can definently understand. :P

Immitaition arguements aside, I would of thought mounts would of been a good idea for GW and it would certainly make pets more desirable and finally give a purpose to moa birds apart from having a chocobo immitation following you around.

Mounts aren't making Guild Wars 2 like WoW; ArenaNet is an awesome company, and they know enough about the business to stay away from the temptations of "cloning success".

But honestly, how else do you provide fast transportation in a persistent world? World of Warcraft wasn't the first game to have mounts by any means (Everquest, Final Fantasy XI, etc.), and they definitely aren't a distinctive characteristic of that game either. Some people just don't know what they're talking about.

Guilds wars 2? Aren't there like 4 expansion packs already?

I really don't see what the purpose of mounts would be. Would it be for running to the next town? Wouldn't that put all of the runners out of business? And what's the difference between getting a mount and getting a few skills that make you run faster?

YuheJi:
And what's the difference between getting a mount and getting a few skills that make you run faster?

It's a status thing. People like things that show that they have spent 200 hours playing a game so they can differentiate themselves from the peasants who have only played for 50. It's the sort of thing that hardcore MMO players make a big stink demanding on forums.

More Fun To Compute:

YuheJi:
And what's the difference between getting a mount and getting a few skills that make you run faster?

It's a status thing. People like things that show that they have spent 200 hours playing a game so they can differentiate themselves from the peasants who have only played for 50. It's the sort of thing that hardcore MMO players make a big stink demanding on forums.

Doesn't that work against everything that Guild Wars has stood for? The fact that anyone can buy max armor and max weapons, and things like that?

YuheJi:
Doesn't that work against everything that Guild Wars has stood for? The fact that anyone can buy max armor and max weapons, and things like that?

It does and it doesn't I suppose. I only played Guild Wars at the start but then you had to grind to collect all the skills to be useful in PvP and to collect showy armour. I think they made it so you can buy skills instead of unlocking them but that is almost as bad.

The philosophy of Guild Wars is that you can play it how you want and have the full experience while playing for a reasonable amount of time. Mounts might be on the borderline of breaking that philosophy depending on how they were done and Guild Wars fans might be right to be disappointed.

They're not changing it to match WoW have half of you even played Guild Wars. Sigh*
If you even play Guild Wars 1 you would know that in that you can map travel to various citys and outpost so the world isn't persistent so a mount system would make sense for Guild Wars 2.

As with Guil Wars 2 they are making changes one being a presistent world so there needs to be something to speed up moving from A->B and mounts are a good way to do.
I doubt very much that Guild Wars 2 will turn this into a status thing as in Guild Wars the focus is on skills so whatever mount you have won't make a slight bit of diffrence same as what 15k armor(for those that do't have it jazzed up max armor) is in Guild Wars or Black Widows(a special pet from a special area for those who haven't played the game).

It's nice if you have that stuff in Guild Wars but if you don't you don't and no ones cares its not it does anything that normal max armor or a Moa(ordinary pet for people who haven't played the game).

So it's nothing to get stresses about Guild Wars is not turning into WoW besides not everything WoW does is bad as I do like the idea of playable races in Guild Wars 2 myself and increased level cap having an effect in PvE only so you still get to do PvP but with PvE you have access to same more attribute points which would be very useful against certain bosses in Guild Wars.

Oisnafas:
Well, It does seem like they're trying to match WoW, and that does concern me a bit. The current formula works, and works well. If it isnt broken, dont try to fix it.

I don't agree really. I'm not going to say GW is broken by any stretch, but I won't say that it couldn't possibly work better.

At the end of the day, mounts serve a single function in any MMO I've ever played - they decrease the amount of time it takes to go from point a to b. Often, this traveling time is what I would call "wasted time", because it is literally something you have to do in order to get to the part of the game that you probably actually enjoy. Sure, running about on foot for the first several hours in an MMO is pretty sweet and helps you better understand the scale of the world, but as the game drags on it tends to put objectives further and further away. Using WoW as an example, crossing the barrens on foot (as one almost certainly will have to do repeatedly if they play Horde) can take the better part of ten minutes. GW isn't nearly so bad as the world is significantly smaller, but it can STILL take quite a long time to get anywhere.

I'm not going to decry a game for copying something another game has done successfully, especially when I cannot think of a reasonable defense for NOT doing so. Saying it isn't broken isn't a defense, it's a cop-out. Time I spend walking about accomplishing absolutely nothing is time wasted as far as I'm concerned, and giving players an option for moving about more quickly certainly helps reduce the waste time. Just as important, nothing says mounts have to be used the same way as they are in WoW. Who's to say that they don't introduce new mechanics to take advantage of mounts - from mounted combat options to the inclusion of sillier things like races?

if you are worried about them changing a good hting you should remember they are still going to keep GW 1 running, those of us that want a persistent world get that as well! best of both worlds

While I generally dislike NCSoft especially after my last 2 experiences with there customer support. They lock my account down for no reason, then when I get it back half my armor on all of my 6 characters go missing, when i say well can you restore it the armor was fine before you locked it, they told me Short version: "LOL Yer Screwed do it all again!" Long Version: "We Dont restore items, thanks for contacting us and we hope to be of help again soon".

All that aside, I Dont think mounts would make it any more like WoW and to be fair every MMORPG is compared to WoW due to it being the most popular online. but if they go with mounts there better be a good distance for the need for em!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked