PS3 Platform games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hello everyone!

I did a quick search on the site and I didn't find one on this topic (or maybe I didn't see really well..in which case, sorry!!) but I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations on modern PS3 puzzle platform games...other than LBP.

See, I've always wanted a PS3 (don't ask why, I just do. And yes, I have a 360 too!) and I can finally afford one by the end of the month but I am lost for games (oh, the irony!) and I am quite into puzzle platform games. So does anyone have any ideas or titles along the genre?

p.s- sorry if it isn't really a discussion.

Ratchet and Clank is good. Uncharted is so-so. I am told InFamous has some platforming elements. Little Big Planet is good if somewhat short.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't own a PS3, but doesn't it have Ratchet & Clank?

EDIT: Ninja'd, but yeah, it's a good series.

Ummm... I've always been a little bit hazy on what counts as a platform game, other than Mario, but I'd suggest Uncharted. It's in the platinum range as well now, so it's a bargain.

I know there's one which is similar to Lost Vikings, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

Sorry.

WrongSprite:
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't own a PS3, but doesn't it have Ratchet & Clank?

Well I was hoping for suggestions and recommendations
because

a) I don't know many PS3 titles
b) I need professional advice (hence why I am at the Escapist)

>.>

<.<

Mikela:

WrongSprite:

because

>.>

<.<

Uh..... that's why I was suggesting Ratchet & Clank...?

Souplex:
Ratchet and Clank is good. Uncharted is so-so. I am told InFamous has some platforming elements.

Uncharted is hardly a platformer...
And, i'll go with Littlebigplanet, Sonic 06 (it wasn't THAT bad), I won't mention unleashed though, as even thought I like it, it's not everyone's cup of tea.
The new of prince of persia is a pretty awesome platformer as is ratchet and clank, though Quest for booty is rather short.
Sega mega drive collection contains some great classic platforming games also.
Fracture, while primarily a third person shooter, has quite a substantial amount of platforming elements, and being able to create a ditch or a hill wherever you like, is just awesome fun! (can you imagine the hours of programming that went into that?)
Hope that helps, but the main one you should focus on, if you love platformers is LittleBigplanet. The amount of user created content keeps the game awesome.
-Edit- Stupid me forgot megaman 9!

AmrasCalmacil:
I know there's one which is similar to Lost Vikings, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

Sorry.

You mean Trine?. Yeah, I hear that's a sweet game much like LBP. There is a good review of it in the User Review section. You can check there for a look see.

To answer the OP though, I would say Ratchet & Clank but besides that the PS3 is a bit stuffed for platform titles.

Edit: found the link for the Trine review. As far as I understood it's LBP meets the Lost Vikings. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.132012]

Spicy meatball:

AmrasCalmacil:

Sorry.

You mean Trine?. Yeah, I hear that's a sweet game much like LBP. There is a good review of it in the User Review section. You can check there for a look see.

To answer the OP though, I would say Ratchet & Clank but besides that the PS3 is a bit stuffed for platform titles.

Not true... there any many fine platformers on the ps3, and that Trine game looks amazing.

I reckon Assassins Creed and Mirrors Edge can be classed as 3D platformers. Both good games.

Ratchet and Clank for sure. Other than that Little Big Planet is worth the time and money.

Daedalus1942:

Spicy meatball:

AmrasCalmacil:

Sorry.

Not true... there any many fine platformers on the ps3, and that Trine game looks amazing.

I agree on Trine. I soo want to grab my hands on it, though according to the review the PS3 release date is TBA

but I disagree (not to start a flame ware) but the PS3 is short on titles period, let alone platforming titles. There isn't a huge deal in variety as far as I am aware that came out since start the 21st century for the PS3. There is Uncharted, R&C and..LBP and now Trine

Joos:
I reckon Assassins Creed and Mirrors Edge can be classed as 3D platformers. Both good games.

Mirror's edge, possibly, not assassin's creed.
Some decent ps3 platformers are as follows.
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
PixelJunk Eden
Elefunk
Joust

Spicy meatball:

Daedalus1942:

Spicy meatball:

AmrasCalmacil:

Sorry.

I agree on Trine. I soo want to grab my hands on it, though according to the review the PS3 release date is TBA

but I disagree (not to start a flame ware) but the PS3 is short on titles period, let alone platforming titles. There isn't a huge deal in variety as far as I am aware that came out since start the 21st century for the PS3. There is Uncharted, R&C and..LBP and now Trine

Then you aren't looking hard enough, there's about 12 decent platforming titles on ps3.
That's not too shabby, IMO.

WrongSprite:

Mikela:

WrongSprite:

because

>.>

<.<

Uh..... that's why I was suggesting Ratchet & Clank...?

and I humbly thank you. Sorry I thought you were saying something else. Nvm...I'm a bit dense. Apologies all around :)

Echochrome is a very unique and interesting PS3-indie puzzle game. If you like that sort of stuff, you should definitely check it out.

Just a question, which model PS3 are you going to get?

Oh and yeah most people have already covered all of the platformers I can think of. Really though, you just have to try things out. Maybe do a little research on Gameinformer's PS3 section. http://gameinformer.com/Games/?CS_platform=ps3

Okay, here's a few recommendations:

WIPEOUT HD.
Let me say that again. WIPEOUT! FUCKING! HD!

It should, by law, come pre-installed on every PS3. The Red Ring of Death is probably caused by a 360 seeing a screenshot, realising it will never feel the sweet, sensual caress of this game or its better-than-sex Fury expansion pack and committing suicide.

And yes, you must get Fury as well. It's not an Expansion Pack, it's a sequal. It doubles the number of tracks, doubles the number of game modes, gives an extra (and better) ship for each class with at least two alternate skins unlockable as you progress, and it simply is not possible to get tired of Eliminator.

Next game we shall consider;

KILLZONE 2.
I really like Killzone 2. It is not perfect, but it's damn close. In truth, the problems I have with Killzone are as much to do with the players as the game. The single-player story should be twice as long and doesn't so much end as stop, and Rico is such a cunt that the genocide of his entire ethnicity is morally justified in the eyes of everyone who has played this game (including members of said ethnicity themselves).

On the multiplayer front, the only issues you are likely to have is that at lower-levels you can't use all the awesome badges and shit, and on higher levels you STILL can't use the awesome badges and shit because some fucking loser has Spot & Mark and his friends are all playing the Assault Class. Ban these fucking cheap Classes, however, and you'll be left with a truly frantic and fucking brilliant multiplayer experience that will give hours and hours of enjoyment.

Overall, Killzone 2 is ESSENTIAL for anyone who falls into the crowd of insufferable cuntbags who think Call of Duty 4 is the be-all and end-all of gaming, if only so they can be proven wrong. For everyone else, it's a damn fine game regardless.

RESISTANCE:
The Resistance Series I shall consider together, since they're cheap enough to get both.

Resistance: Fall of Man was never much of a looker and just looks more dated with every passing year. This is a shame because underneath the rather poor visuals and a what-the-fuck control system is a gripping storyline and a genuinely likeable cast... except for Nathan Generic-Dumbass-Yank Hale, your character. The setting is awesome because it's Britain and it is not possible to hate a game that involves murdering your way through Grimsby, descecrating Manchester Cathedral and running Hybrids over in Cheddar Gorge (yes, it is where cheddar comes from).

Resistance 2 did a lot to improve the gameplay and made a bloody big leap in graphics, but at a cost to storyline and a few other key points. The first casualty of the sequal was the unique Hybrid-health system - a combination of DooM Medikits and Halo's "Don't get shot for 1.5 seconds" regen. This time Insomniac got lazy and just ripped off Halo. They also ripped off Halo by limiting us to two weapons at a time and making every main character a fucking Space Marine that nobody gives a shit about.

Even so, Resistance 2 makes up for it with the gaming experience. Co-Op is a totally distinct and very fun game that explores the backstory of the setting and what went on between the two games. Competitive mode is great in theory, but when trying to play with a group of friends it tends to fuck up. Team-balancing seems an alien concept with Team Deathmatches being set up as 5-vs-25 and then crashing due to 'not enough players'. The Expansion Pack contains some of the best maps I've seen in this kind of FPS, which is a shame because NO FUCKER USES THEM! Since their release, I have had ONE game that was full. Most are 1 vs 1. If that.

Despite certain issues, Resistance 2 is still very enjoyable and for those who are more interested in plot than mindless shooting the original is a must-have. Get them both.

LITTLEBIGPLANET.
I really shouldn't need to say anything more.

Spicy meatball:

Daedalus1942:

Spicy meatball:

Daedalus1942:

Spicy meatball:

Daedalus1942:

Spicy meatball:

Then you aren't looking hard enough, there's about 12 decent platforming titles on ps3.
That's not too shabby, IMO.

Spicy meatball:

Daedalus1942:

Spicy meatball:

AmrasCalmacil:

Sorry.

Spicy meatball:

Daedalus1942:

Spicy meatball:

AmrasCalmacil:

Sorry.

Spicy meatball:
[quote="Daedalus1942" post="9.132194.2943454"][quote="Spicy meatball" post="9.132194.2943445"][quote="AmrasCalmacil" post="9.132194.2943410"]I know there's one which is similar to Lost Vikings, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

Sorry.

Quite the contrary there is a large variety of PS3 titles out there. If you know where to look.

Wargamer:
Okay, here's a few recommendations:

WIPEOUT HD.
Let me say that again. WIPEOUT! FUCKING! HD!

It should, by law, come pre-installed on every PS3. The Red Ring of Death is probably caused by a 360 seeing a screenshot, realising it will never feel the sweet, sensual caress of this game or its better-than-sex Fury expansion pack and committing suicide.

And yes, you must get Fury as well. It's not an Expansion Pack, it's a sequal. It doubles the number of tracks, doubles the number of game modes, gives an extra (and better) ship for each class with at least two alternate skins unlockable as you progress, and it simply is not possible to get tired of Eliminator.

Next game we shall consider;

KILLZONE 2.
I really like Killzone 2. It is not perfect, but it's damn close. In truth, the problems I have with Killzone are as much to do with the players as the game. The single-player story should be twice as long and doesn't so much end as stop, and Rico is such a cunt that the genocide of his entire ethnicity is morally justified in the eyes of everyone who has played this game (including members of said ethnicity themselves).

On the multiplayer front, the only issues you are likely to have is that at lower-levels you can't use all the awesome badges and shit, and on higher levels you STILL can't use the awesome badges and shit because some fucking loser has Spot & Mark and his friends are all playing the Assault Class. Ban these fucking cheap Classes, however, and you'll be left with a truly frantic and fucking brilliant multiplayer experience that will give hours and hours of enjoyment.

Overall, Killzone 2 is ESSENTIAL for anyone who falls into the crowd of insufferable cuntbags who think Call of Duty 4 is the be-all and end-all of gaming, if only so they can be proven wrong. For everyone else, it's a damn fine game regardless.

RESISTANCE:
The Resistance Series I shall consider together, since they're cheap enough to get both.

Resistance: Fall of Man was never much of a looker and just looks more dated with every passing year. This is a shame because underneath the rather poor visuals and a what-the-fuck control system is a gripping storyline and a genuinely likeable cast... except for Nathan Generic-Dumbass-Yank Hale, your character. The setting is awesome because it's Britain and it is not possible to hate a game that involves murdering your way through Grimsby, descecrating Manchester Cathedral and running Hybrids over in Cheddar Gorge (yes, it is where cheddar comes from).

Resistance 2 did a lot to improve the gameplay and made a bloody big leap in graphics, but at a cost to storyline and a few other key points. The first casualty of the sequal was the unique Hybrid-health system - a combination of DooM Medikits and Halo's "Don't get shot for 1.5 seconds" regen. This time Insomniac got lazy and just ripped off Halo. They also ripped off Halo by limiting us to two weapons at a time and making every main character a fucking Space Marine that nobody gives a shit about.

Even so, Resistance 2 makes up for it with the gaming experience. Co-Op is a totally distinct and very fun game that explores the backstory of the setting and what went on between the two games. Competitive mode is great in theory, but when trying to play with a group of friends it tends to fuck up. Team-balancing seems an alien concept with Team Deathmatches being set up as 5-vs-25 and then crashing due to 'not enough players'. The Expansion Pack contains some of the best maps I've seen in this kind of FPS, which is a shame because NO FUCKER USES THEM! Since their release, I have had ONE game that was full. Most are 1 vs 1. If that.

Despite certain issues, Resistance 2 is still very enjoyable and for those who are more interested in plot than mindless shooting the original is a must-have. Get them both.

LITTLEBIGPLANET.
I really shouldn't need to say anything more.

The ONLY game there that's a platformer is LittleBIGPlanet. Did you even read the post?

captain awesome 12:

Oh and yeah most people have already covered all of the platformers I can think of. Really though, you just have to try things out. Maybe do a little research on Gameinformer's PS3 section. http://gameinformer.com/Games/?CS_platform=ps3

I was thinking on getting the 120Gb model.

So far, Ratchet and Clank and Trine looks like game that I could really get into. I dunno about Killzone 2 and Resistance though. They are not platform games but I do intend on playing them...at some point. FPS's are not really my things =p

Mikela:

captain awesome 12:

So far, Ratchet and Clank and Trine looks like game that I could really get into. I dunno about Killzone 2 and Resistance though. They are not platform games but I do intend on playing them...at some point. FPS's are not really my things =p

Good show! I'm just making sure you weren't going to be suckered into buying the 80 gig when the smaller, lighter, and less power requiring 120 gig will be available for the same price.

Wargamer:
-snip-

Also, you fail sir, this is a thread about platforming games.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune is one of the best games ever in my humble opinion and has some very good platform and puzzle sections, aswell as some great fighting and shooting mechanics. I hear it's out on platinum now and is quite cheap.

captain awesome 12:

Mikela:

captain awesome 12:

Good show! I'm just making sure you weren't going to be suckered into buying the 80 gig when the smaller, lighter, and less power requiring 120 gig will be available for the same price.

Thank you^^. I do my research.....at times. :S

Daedalus1942:
*snip*

But see that's my point. If they were *good* platform games, "looking hard enough" wouldn't be an issue. The reason people quote LBP and R&C is because they are good platform games, unlike say, Sonic or Ratatouille. Just saying, good games shouldn't be hiding in the back shelves.

If you're referring

Spicy meatball:

Daedalus1942:
*snip*

But see that's my point. If they were *good* platform games, "looking hard enough" wouldn't be an issue. The reason people quote LBP and R&C is because they are good platform games, unlike say, Sonic or Ratatouille. Just saying, good games shouldn't be hiding in the back shelves.

If you're referring to Sonic 06, you'd better take that back. If you're referring to Unleashed, that I can understand.
And also, the majority of decent games aren't talked about or brought to light, and you'd have to be fairly heavily into gaming to know of them.
Deus ex, Psychonauts, Braid, Valkyria Chronicles, Planescape: Torment, Metal Heart: Replicant's Rampage and Fracture. That's all I can think of, off the top of my head atm (there's a thousand more, but Shaun is tired).
But in any case, I find the best games are usually the ones that aren't popular.

i know worms isn't a 3-D platformer but its definetley a good game worth downloading off Playstation store. i'm not really what you define as a platfrom game but the Lego games apart from Lego Indy are good (if a bit childish) LBP is good, Ratchet and Clank are good, Mirrors edge is worth getting if you like that kind of thing and I can't really think of any more.

Ratchet and Clank

/topic

Prince of Persia... But the combat is... Eh.

You have a little while to wait but you're going to love God of War 3.
You might also dig Infamous. Download the demo.

There are some good games on PSN you might like; maybe try the demos first.
Megaman 9
Locoroco Cochero
Bionic Commando rearmed
echocrome
Pixel Junk Eden

killzone 2 is the only good game on the ps3 everything else sucks resistance, msg 4 , maybe little big planet is ok, infamous and all that other crap

park92:
killzone 2 is the only good game on the ps3 everything else sucks resistance, msg 4 , maybe little big planet is ok, infamous and all that other crap

Nice, subjective and off topic!
MGS4 is great - good storyline, gameplay and graphics.
Resistance 2 has great multiplayer - 30 vs 30 with no set spawn points, so no camping
InFamous is fun, but can get repetative. Looks good though and works.

But back on topic after Mr Troll.
I'm not sure if it's a puzzle game, but Flower is great. If you've a decent HD TV, then it looks superb as it's full 1080p and an orgy of colour.

That's the best I could find, probably are more but these are the names that come to mind.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
Crash Commando
Fat Princess(online multiplayer in a platformer style)
Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3

Not out yet
--------------------
Braid(TBA)
Castle Crashers(TBA)
Dark Mist(TBA)
Jak And Daxter: The Lost Frontier (but its only ps2 and psp, but a strong possibility it will be on the psn)
Mod Nation Racers (not really a platformer but it looks like Mario Kart)(3rd quarter 2009)
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time(3rd quarter 2009)
Trine(3rd quarter 2009)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked