Do You Think Gaming Magazines Are Biased Towards Certain Games/ Companies, Etc?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So I wiki'ed recent Square Enix titles and noticed, despite some of their games supposedly having some serious flaws, Famitsu (Japan's leading gaming magazine) has given their latest games near-perfect scores!

The Last Remnant - 38/40
Star Ocean - Last Hope - 34/40
Infinate Undiscovery - 32/40
Dragon Quest IX Hoshizora no Mamoribito - 40/40
Final Fantasy XII - 40/40

OK, now I've played a demo of Last Remnant and watched a fair bit of footage of Star Ocean LH and whilst they may be fun games (arguably) I'm pretty certain they're not anywhere near genre defining, highly original, refined, super-dooper perfect.

And I loved FFXII but even I'll be the first to admit that games isn't perfect either. Heck, Vagrant Story is one of my all-time favs yet despite having annoying box puzzles and a weapon customization that was too complicated and un-user friendly, that didn't stop Famitsu giving it 40/40 either.

Now I know JRPGs are the genre of Japan in the same why FPSs are over here, so it's understandable there would be more attention brought to them, but even here in the West the latest FPSs like Killzone 2 aren't getting away from citicism which leads me to think there is clear favouritism with Famitsu and JRPS, possibly just Square Enix titles.

So finally getting to the point, anyone want to list game magazines they think are biased towards something/ someone?

P.S. I may not own a console but I'm pretty certain most online gaming cites have a preferrance to the 360 over the PS3.

Go to ign.com, almost every link will take you to an xbox game, if its multiplatform, it'll take you to the xbox version.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are at least some biased gaming magazines. Can't think of many examples, but they are out there.

All games journalists are baised.

It's impossible not to be.

It's true that Japanese magazines have been handing out these high scores to such games, but it is not as many would speculate because the games are inherantly Japanese by region and principle. It is because the audience of these magazines are eagerly waiting to purchase such titles as they are the 'hot' games in Japan in the same way that games like Halo, Metal Gear and GTA are the hot games in the west.
Under that same principle media reprensenting game 'critics' in places such as the UK and the US in particular rank these titles at biblical heights and give very positive reviews and scores, despite the eventual realisation of massive flaws and in some cases sheer poor quality. It's all a matter of business, these people are not supplying a service out of the goodness of their hearts, they do so for endorsement and attention from such companys because they are aware doing so will allure more readers/customers and thus increase their profits.
Seriously, try finding a game media in Asia that praises any first person shooter. You'll have a hard time, because they simply don't like them, by majority, in places like Japan. It's not a part of the mainstream culture of gaming as it is here.

So in summary of my tedious little report; yes, yes they are.

Casual Shinji:

WIN!
Especcially Jim Sterling (just kidding)

LegendaryMan:

Casual Shinji:

WIN!

Ok, that's true, but what about gaming sites/ magazines as a whole?

Vault boy Eddie:
Go to ign.com, almost every link will take you to an xbox game, if its multiplatform, it'll take you to the xbox version.

Gamespot does that to. Also Some games that are multiplatform sometimes don't even exist on any other system according to them.

Like you were saying though. Its just to go with the Fanbase. Theres a hidden Rating tool they use called Mass Appeal. If the Game has a Big following it will get good Reviews no matter what.

And this surprises you? There's no such thing as an unbiased critic.

Terramax:

LegendaryMan:

Casual Shinji:

WIN!

I dont know maybe Xbox.com or Playstation.com XD

Well, I can't speak for IX, but Dragon Quest VIII was fucking brilliant.

Nintendo Power is very biased. They rarely talk about 360 and PS3 games. :O

Terramax:

That content had to get there somehow, the people that edit and manage the articles for the gaming websites are the same journalists that edit and manage articles for the magazines. While the journalists can have their own biases, it comes down to the editors who pick which articles go into the magazine for the month/site forever. While it may not seem like the whole group is biased given that varied and numerous games in the world, everyone is a fan boy of something and wants to see it at the head of the table.

I'm pretty certain it goes without saying that 'Official' game magazines (Nintendo Official Magazine, Playstation Official Magazine etc) are terribly biased.

But even as someones already mentioned, everyones biased to some extend towards some company/series. Not as badly as official sources though. That's why I always take reviews I read with a pinch of salt, if that's using the expression right.

Most of the time I just make my own judgment though.

Donnyp:

Vault boy Eddie:

Gamespot does that to. Also Some games that are multiplatform sometimes don't even exist on any other system according to them.

Like you were saying though. Its just to go with the Fanbase. Theres a hidden Rating tool they use called Mass Appeal. If the Game has a Big following it will get good Reviews no matter what.

Ya, I was gonna say that. And it annoys me, because the PS3 purple background looks a lot better than the xbox green background.

I find that magazines tend to lean towards xbox games if its multi-platform. They make any PS3 exlcusive games rain stars and when it comes to mainstream games that have had ultimate advertising (halo, gta, cod, nfs) they seem to see nothing wrong with the game and just help promote the game even more.

Well, for some reason most gaming websites prioritize xbawks over ps3.

In my honest opinion, the are nearly the same thing. the only differences I can see are.

Xbox has the better version of multiplatform games.
PS3 has way better exclusives.

I usually get the ps3 version of games anyways because I prefer the controller, but xbox gets an unfair amount of attention on their side of the multiplatforms.

But in a console vs console, no difference.

A lot of gaming magazines seem to exist solely to reaffirm the prejudices of fans over the hot titles.

Or JRPGS a just bad? ahah, never played one tough, shoul pick one up =P

Nah no one is biased, COUGHGameSpotCOUGH

Well I do find the xbox magazine to be incredibly bias towards the xbox, but I might be crazy.

ender_dio:

In my honest opinion, the are nearly the same thing. the only differences I can see are.

I usually get the ps3 version of games anyways because I prefer the controller, but xbox gets an unfair amount of attention on their side of the multiplatforms.

Wow this post is highly flammable!

Actually, it seems that everywhere from metacritic, to ign to game informer all seem to think that multi-platform games are better on 360 than on PS3.... it's an emerging trend, but I also don't think it's unjustified... I usually attribute this to LIVE being better than PSN, but maybe you're on to something about the controller.

Casual Shinji:

This could be said for every journalist on the planet, regardless of type.

OT: Did you just notice? Its been fairly obvious for ages for me.

Macksheath:

Casual Shinji:

This could be said for every human on the planet, regardless of type.

Fixed that for you.

Of course they're biased. Our Escapist writers are biased, your favourite magazine writer is biased, your mother is biased and that cute lad/lass you've got a crush on is biased.

The question is how much it affects the objectivity of their reporting both consciously and subconsciously.

My answer: Probably a fair bit. If you assembled all the articles written by one person, I'm fairly certain you could find a bias pattern in there.

Guy32:

Donnyp:

Vault boy Eddie:

Ya, I was gonna say that. And it annoys me, because the PS3 purple background looks a lot better than the xbox green background.

lol. not to mention that a good deal of games on the PS3 get lower ratings then the Xbox ones lol.

IGN is the worst of them.

Everything they have on that site is pro 360.

You type in a game, it'll take you to the 360 version. Is it multi platform? They'll give the edge to the 360.

Even their game of the year awards are bullshit. 2008 nominees: MGS4-10/10, GTAIV-10/10

Winner: Fallout 3-9.4/10 and they gave the edge to the 360 when PC version is obviously better.

Based on how Dynasty Warriors (and related games) reviews yes.
They just automatically assume its the same and ignore all the new. Should be a seperate fan review for people who DO like the series and want to know if they mucked a character up or not.

FFXII no matter how much I found it decent compared to how most people felt about it, was not a 40/40 game.

The Last Remnant is NOWHERE NEAR a 40/40 game.

Actually nothing on that list is a 40/40 game.

~~~~~~

Anyway, yeah, to a point.

Believe it or not, probably the most honest non-biased reviews I've found are from PC Gamer, since they have enough of a staff to have certain people who play each game and you never get a "this game got a bad score because the reviewer couldn't get into it because he won't put up with a bad interface or doesn't like the genre."

Anyway, obvious shit is obvious, it's SQUARE'S OWN MAGAZINE DUDE, WTF DO YOU EXPECT.

ex: Nintendo Power
ex: Official Xbox Magazine
ex: PSM3

There's plenty of websites too, but most of them are joke/troll websites and too much of a joke to be remotely taken seriously. I'm sure you can find them.

ex: IGN
ex: Gamespot
ex: G4 (lol)
ex: Gamefaqs

Seriously IGN is fucked up, 2 and 1/2 God Hand = Imagine Babiez.

God Hand got a 3.0, Imagine Babies got an 8 or something.

I wish I still had that picture.

To answer in general:

The Japanese are racist, Japan-centric/developed products get higher ratings just for being Japanese. Certain developers are considered almost like national monuments it seems, which is why for example Squeenix got so heavily swamped over "selling out Final Fantasy X" to the "western child race of America" that Final Mission was never released here. It would have been financially successful, it's just that there were domestic protests among gamers on the subject of Final Fantasy in paticular at that time.

In general however magazines are pretty much loyal to the money more than anything. Certain companies/brands more reliably throw the mullah their way. Buy tons of ads over a period of time? Pay to have their site re-skinned (possibly multiple ways), pay MORE for these things than the going rate (out bidding other companies around the same time)... well guess what, you get a good review.

Trust me, make a game that is nothing but a video clip of yourself insulting fans while drunk with a camcorder, and release it with a 10 million dollar advertising budget split between the magazines, it will be game of the year....

Now granted things typically aren't that Overt. For example "Kane And Lynch" while at best a mediocre game, at least sounds cool on paper, and has something behind it that could be promoted. The issue there was mostly that they paid so much money that they didn't want a mediocre game to be called a mediocre game.

The only thing I notice about most magazines is that as soon there is a good game for PS3, it's instantly it's "Killer app" and "Savior of the day" since the PS3 apparently never had any good games before.

IGN in particular is heavily biased towards the 360. And vigilantly so.

TPiddy:

ender_dio:

Wow this post is highly flammable!

Actually, it seems that everywhere from metacritic, to ign to game informer all seem to think that multi-platform games are better on 360 than on PS3.... it's an emerging trend, but I also don't think it's unjustified... I usually attribute this to LIVE being better than PSN, but maybe you're on to something about the controller.

Yeah, there are two reasons why they are better, Microsoft dot their dev kit out to developers much earlier that sony, and it was geared to be easy on PC. So, game developers prefer to build their games on that kit, and then just port the ps3 version. So you have a game that was made for xbox, coming out on ps3. So multiplatforms are usually better for xbox.

The other reason, is that Microsoft, the unholy monolithic corporation, likes to break deals with specific game devs, (ie: bethesda, rockstar) to get exclusive content for the xbawks version.

PS3 on the other hand has been catching up with exclusives. They've been breaking a lot of deals to keep the devs from ps2 faithful. but are still losing some, like square enix. When sony backs an exclusive, its usually a really good one.

Live is in no way superior to psn, and psn is free. My preference is the ps3, but thats because I always had a ps2, and before that a ps1, so the controller feels right at home with me, I can pick up and play any game with a dualshock.

They all are biased. This is why you have a mind of your own. Don't let the opinion of someone else, no matter how "professional" is seems to be, affect your own. Don't be a sheep, make up your own mind about a game. Rent it first to try it (or download a demo if available).

The general standards expected by the gaming community are not your or my standards, I've bought oh so many games that received poor to fair ratings that ended up be quite enjoyable and sometimes all-time favorites.

I recall several reviewers claiming that Demon's Souls on the PS3 was too hard regardless of it being a very good game. It's not too hard, everyone's standards have just fallen into shit. That game is how ALL games used to be, difficulty-wise. This generation of gamers are too coddled by quick-time events, regenerating health, and mini-games. They have no concept of what a truly challenging game is supposed to be.

PC Gamer goes on a lot about WoW. Then again, the editor of that magazine plays WoW so I wouldn't be too surprised.

Play Magazine is full of Japanophiles. They're constantly reviewing anime and manga, and have a heavy emphasis on Japanese made games. This isn't necessarily bad , but their reviews can become totally skewed. For instance, I once bought an issue and read an article on anime called "Honey and Clover" and the reviewer made it sound like Jesus was responsible for it. I watched it on Hulu, and it was such a pretentious, lame piece of crap.

So every mag. has a skewed opinion. Even this website shows that opinion sometimes, but you won't find this bias as much on the escapist b/c it must keep up an image of print-worthy, objective reporting, and if they do show any unfair preferences than they'll be called out by the readers. Being online means that it also can track and respond the comments of its readers in order to achieve the highest possible satisfaction, feedback a print mag. cannot get.

Valiance:

Anyway, obvious shit is obvious, it's SQUARE'S OWN MAGAZINE DUDE, WTF DO YOU EXPECT.

I did not know that.

So has anyone here found good or bad biased towards another certain genre or game company? Have you ever seen a game get amazing scores across the boards in nearly all magazines but one completely trash it, or the opposite?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked