33.6% (47)
33.6% (47)
Empire: Total War
10% (14)
10% (14)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Best Total War Game?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

My favorite personally is Rome:Total War, and if you have played it you would know why.

yeah, Rome: Total war is pretty good, but they're all pretty much the same game

Medieval 1, excellent game, Rome and Medieval 2 (and empire, but I don't count that as a TW game) had a few flaws, and I really hate being able to claim any city without a secure supply line, they were good, graphically stunning, but Medieval + Mods was amazing, so much I play it the most.

I liked the patched version of Empire myself. It gets everything right.

Also, don't mean to be a bastard, but there was another version of this thread last week with the exact same title.

Haven't really played that many versions of Total war... but I think Empire is probably my favorite. It does most things right and it's also the only total war game where you can play as my country.

Allot of people have voted Empire, but have most of those people actually played the older Total war games? I was a huge Total war fan before the shitfest that was Empire was released and now i am no longer a fan of CA.

Medieval II Total War.

Exterminating a town full of peasants never gets old.

Option 6: I suck at all of them, yet own half. Why? I don't actually know :P. Takes too long to get into it personally, I'd rather shoot stuff or do fun puzzles. I guess you could say I have a short attention span, but when one turn in the Total War games, takes about as long as a game I would play in warcraft 3, and lots more than shooter games it kinda gets boring after building aqueducts for the 900th time. The most fun thing is the battles and they take forever too.

I've kinda got a soft spot for Shogun since It's the only TW game I've played for a long time until I got Rome, but compared to the later ones Rome is my favourite.

Medieval II Total War. I loved being Scotland and then taking over everyone through bloody warfare and hostile takeovers/buyouts.

Rome!

Romans rule!

I enjoyed Rome the most in general. Empire has a lot of features that I appreciate but the AI seems to have an immense amount of trouble facing a prepared defense. While the game does occasionally deliver a tactical situation in which a seige (giving time to prepare my position) is unwise, most of the biggest battles I have engagaged in during the course of a number of campaigns have had the benefit of a prepared defense. The enemy rarely has significant numbers of mortar batteries meaning counter-battery fire quickly demolishes them. During the advance, my own long ranged guns take tremendous toll on the enemy and when the range gets close enough, direct fire 12+ pounders firing canister shot prove devistating. The enemy rarely attempts to flank in force (the key to defeating such a defense) and when they do manage to breach another segment of line they never seem to exploit it, instead deciding to stand and trade fire with my line troops, who have the benefit of significant cover) from the open.

Hardcore_gamer:
Allot of people have voted Empire, but have most of those people actually played the older Total war games? I was a huge Total war fan before the shitfest that was Empire was released and now i am no longer a fan of CA.

Man, don't remind me. $50 wasted on that shit.

Medieval II is my fav. I destroyed the first one, and missed out on Rome.

And any game that gives you an assassination vid of pegging the Pope with a crossbow gets awesome cool points in my mind.

EcksTeaSea:
Medieval II Total War. I loved being Scotland and then taking over everyone through bloody warfare and hostile takeovers/buyouts.

Agree altho i chose England but since im an ignorant eaastern european for me its all the same kewl :P
There is something very appealing in the fact that you start at a small island and then rain down the arrows on the entire world. The germans always gave me trouble tho :S Its somehow natural to get them poke their swords in my affairs which always pissed me off!

But i voted for Shogun. Call it nostalgia :> its just the fist game i played of the series as a kid and i rly like samurai too :P

I'd say my favorite is Rome, but I also have a soft spot for the two Medievals, especially when playing as the Eastern Roman Empire and actually achieving the Renovatio Imperii Romanorum, centered on Κωνσταντινούπολη, having adopted the great philosopher's tongue thanks to Αὐτοκράτωρ Ἡράκλειος.

Rome: Total War because it had good graphics in great, big landscapes. But I also think Shogun was good because it was "ground-breaking" when it came out, you had never seen something like it before.

Ocelot GT:
Rome!

Romans rule!

Medieval 1 and 2 FTW

Markgraf:
I'd say my favorite is Rome, but I also have a soft spot for the two Medievals, especially when playing as the Eastern Roman Empire and actually achieving the Renovatio Imperii Romanorum, centered on Κωνσταντινούπολη, having adopted the great philosopher's tongue thanks to Αὐτοκράτωρ Ἡράκλειος.

Do you speak Greek?

I have only played Shogun, Rome and MTW2. From these 3 I much preferred rome. Medieval total war felt weird to me. My system choked on it and the gameplay never came together for me. The battles felt weird, and it always came down to 2 huge blobs of spearmen killing each other. Archers didn't do as much damage as in rome and the cavalry seemed less effective too. MW2 seemed to be more about attrition than strategy when it came to the battle mode. On top of this most factions had the same starting setup of units: Spearmen, archers, spearmen, light cav and some spearmen. Rome had a much more varied approach.

I think I would have loved MW2 if I hadn't played Rome first. Having done that however, MW2 felt like a downgrade when it came to the battle mode. I'f I remember correctly though, the campaign map gameplay felt better than in rome, with more choices and interesting units. I loved the religion gameplay, and the power of the papal state. My favourite game was when I played as the russian empire of the north. Slowly weakening my enemies with assassins, spies and raids on their smaller towns. I played the catholic states against each other with bribes to keep them from concentrating on me. All went well but then ofcourse the mongols came...

The kingdoms expansion was awesome though.

I would love to try out ETW, but I'm afraid that even installing it will give my pc a hernia.

Medieval 2 Crusades, because there is nothing like watching men in armor wielding great swords chasing down units as they rout. Cannons of the holy sepulcher(spelling?) are total bad ass's, along with the Byzantine flamethrowers.

I've played every one.
Rome was my favorite because it didn't have the pope (which was a particularly annoying mechanic) and it wasn't as glitched out as Empire is/was. When I tell a cannon to hold it's fire it should HOLD IT'S FUCKING FIRE and not mow down all of my troops that are walking in front of it.

Rome, always rome, a thousand times Rome.:)

I'm split between Rome and Shogun. I have not played Empires though, because I heard that it's pretty bad.
One thing about Total War is that the mechanics and game design is geared more to the total conquest of the game map; the focus was endless warfare, not diplomacy or economics. I like my games to have a bit of flexibility, but stay within historical possibilities. I find that Medieval 1 was working too much off the Shogun system, and it ends up with insane empires that would have been completely impossible. However, Rome and Shogun don't suffer from this problem because conquering the entire map was excatly what they did (Rome didn't, but they came close).
The system was somewhat changed for Medieval 2, with good results. But I didn't find that game as good as Rome or Shogun.

Played them all and have to say Rome hands down. For one it didn't have the pope system which stopped you fighting other christians for goddam ages. And unlike medieval II I thought the stronger units actually showed they were superior, since medieval II if you had really strong heavy infantry against a unit of weak light infantry the casualties on both sides seemed a bit random. Also as someone mentioned there is excellent variation of units at the start in Rome and good variation of unit purposes. Also no castle/village system - that thing drove me up the wall since you could make an awesome castle but by the time you have it's too far from the front line to be effective anymore.

RabidWombat:
My favorite personally is Rome:Total War, and if you have played it you would know why.

Not really, please explain?

Medieval 1 is my favourite, with Medieval 2 coming close second.

I used to say Rome, but when I stopped playing it and years later Empire came out, I find the other ones dull. Maybe I just love Empire's time period. Empire for me.

Empire for me, as its my favourite period of warfare

Rome for me its more of the theme then gameplay.

It's hard for me to decide between Rome and Medieval 2 because they are essentially the same game. Medieval 2 was exactly what it should have been: the same basic game as Rome, transported to the Medieval era, with updated graphics and some new added features.

I voted for Medieval 2 because though it was a great game, Rome does show its age in its graphics and some gameplay features that seem plain compared to Medieval. Medieval 2 just seems to be more...spirited; you can really feel the spirit of the Medieval culture. I also liked the papal ranking and crusade/jihad mechanics, as well as gunpowder and the chance to discover and conquer the Americas.

I started with Shogun, and loved it.
Medieval was a great successor, and loved it even more.
Rome was a graphical improvement big time, plus the gameplay was just way more stream-lined.
But Medieval 2 really took it home.

The graphics of Rome (Better, actually, since now guys looked different instead of an army of clones), the setting of Medieval, and the awesome mini movies of Shogun.

I never played Empire, though I'm told that the patching fixed most of the launch problems. Once I get a gaming rig, I'll have to give it a whirl.
I love the Total War series.

Shogun and the first Medieval had the best 'atmosphere' out of all the total wars.

Rome was the best Gameplay wise.

M:TW2 I found lacking but the mods for it made it awesome.

Empire, well, after the patches its pretty good but still could have been a much better game.

Rome was still simple in a fun way, with both sieges and lots of land battles, but also in 3d. Medieval 2 is fun, but the AI just doesn't know how to play. I miss the large amount of epic land battles. Empire was just too buggy when it came out, and shogun (1) was fun, but the restricted contol over the camera and the 2.5d graphics made it hard to play.

I can't decide. I really can't.

I personally love the Total War series, and am probably the last person who should give an opinion on which the "best" one is. Unless you want to see my brain work itself into an explosive fit.

I didn't play Shogun, and only a little of Medieval 1. Rome was the first one to really grab me. I played that for hours. It's my favorite strategy game. Medieval 2 was just meh and after that i didn't play any new ones. I am currently enyoing the Third age, a Lord of the rings mod for Medieval 2, it's really awesome.

Medieval 1 just consumed too much of my childhood for me not to vote for it.

I mean, come on. It was sooo easy to break! You could both marry the Pope off AND burn him at the stake for being a Heretic! The Pope himself! :D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked