PC Point and Click, did I miss any?

Ive recently been going back through my old PC games that I keep around (Theres nothing quite like a classic when it comes to PC gaming). I used to be a massive fan of Point and Click adventure games although they had to at least have a reasonable humour. Problem ive found is that having completed them many times in my youth they pose very little challenge now.

Are there any I might of missed?

Off the top of my head I have completed:
-Sam and Max
-Day of the Tentical
-Monkey Island 1-4
-The Dig
-Loom
-Toonstruck
-Discworld 1 & 2
-Full throttle
-All of Yahtzees games (trilby seires, 1213 ect..)
-Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango

The Longest Journey.

RAKtheUndead:
Beneath a Steel Sky.

Oh hell yes. My first adventure game that one.

I quite like Out of Order. It's quite easy, but the rather lame, offbeat, humour amuses me. Story isn't bad either.

Edit - And oh shit I put down the wrong link from the wrong window, fixed. :P

Ah crap, I forgot grim fandango. Done that one.

RAKtheUndead:
Beneath a Steel Sky.

Played BaSS once when I was younger but didnt get into it properly (I may have been a bit young and didnt really understand what was going on). Does it get better after the beginning?

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
Easily my favorite of the genre.
There´s also Indiana Jones and the Quest for the Holy Grail. Couldn't comment on the quality of that one though.

Simon the Sorcerer 1+2
Blade Runner
Grim Fandango
Sanitarium
Floyd
Discworld Noir
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth
Indiana Jones LucasArts Adventures
Space Quest Series (early ones might be too uck but the latest few are still nice)
Kings Quest Series (same)
Leisure Suit Larry Series (same)
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary/Judgment Rites/A Final Unity

Still okay Games:
Broken Sword Series
The Gene Machine
Chewy - Escape from F5
Orion Burger
Ace Ventura
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (Meh Quicktime Events but pretty good over large parts)

HappyTreeFriend:
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
Easily my favorite of the genre.

Oh my word, this.
Easily the best Indy Adventure game, and certainly one of the best point and click games.
3 paths to choose and play with, Nazis to kill, smart puzzles, and just an awesome adventure over-all.

I'd also recommend the Space Quest series, and the King's Quest series.
Great games.

Machinarium. It came out recently. Don't miss out.

Dexter111:

Simon the Sorcerer 1+2 (Played both, never completed either)
Blade Runner (Never heard of)
Grim Fandango (Completed)
Sanitarium (Never heard of)
Floyd (Never heard of)
Discworld Noir (Completed, sorry I forgot to mention that one)
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall (Never heard of)
Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth (Never heard of)
Indiana Jones LucasArts Adventures (Played, never completed any of them)
Space Quest Series (early ones might be too uck but the latest few are still nice) (First is the only one I completed, played all of them)
Kings Quest Series (same) (played the first 2, never completed any of them)
Leisure Suit Larry Series (same) (How far are we going with that one? Xbox releaces were awful, only completed the first but played them all)
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary/Judgment Rites/A Final Unity (Never heard of)

Still okay Games:
Broken Sword Series (Played and never completed any)
The Gene Machine (Never heard of)
Chewy - Escape from F5 (Never heard of)
Orion Burger (Never heard of)
Ace Ventura (Never heard of)
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (Meh Quicktime Events but pretty good over large parts) (Didnt realise they were point and click)

Which of those that ive not played would be the next I should try?

Try The Longest Journey. Is epic.

The Longest Journey is easily my favorite point & click adventure game of all time, even having played most of the other famous entries into the genre. The characters are incredibly well done, the protagonist extremely likable, the plot interesting, and it manages to hit that fine balance of being very entertaining and occasionally quirky while also having a serious plot. (In all honesty the gameplay is pretty crappy however and some of the puzzles are mind-bogglingly stupid, but if you've played all those other games then even so you're fine here! The story more than makes up for what the gameplay lacks.)

I'm also a big fan of the overall themes and story. This sort of dreamy fantasy meets sci-fi story where there's wonder around every corner and mystery everywhere.

As one character in the game put is: Mystery is important, to know everything to know the whole truth is dull. There is no magic in that! Magic is not knowing; magic is wondering about what and how and where...

I'd post a link to a trailer, but the only trailer I could find for the original game is pretty shoddy so I'll post a link to a trailer for its sequel Dreamfall.

You can find it for sale at gog.com as well as steam and other online distributors, so it's easy to get too.

I've never really seen the appeal of point and click I just lack the patience for it and end up clikcing everything in a horisontal-vertical pattern until I move to the next stage

Flight of the Amazon Queen.

It's like Indiana Jones meets Monkey Island. I played it for the first time last year and I highly recommend it if you liked the old, humorous Lucasarts games.

Dexter111:
Simon the Sorcerer 1+2
Blade Runner
Discworld Noir
Indiana Jones LucasArts Adventures
Kings Quest Series (same)

These are some of the finest games I've ever played (well Discworld Noir's not but I'm a sucker for anything with Discworld near the title and Simon the Sorcerer 1 isn't 100% but was the first game I completed)

Blade Runner is a must play and the King's Quest games are huge.

Also Maniac Mansion if you haven't completed it during your run through of DoTT.

Kollega:
Machinarium. It came out recently. Don't miss out.

well, this.

also i quite liked the nancy drew games, so far i have played 5 of them and they where all entertaining, and there is something like 57 games, so they should keep you entertained for awhile, but do buy machinarium, despite the last few puzzles its an great game.

The dreamfall games 1 more then two but it also has point and click elements

I Remember having great fun with the Spyfox series. However it is for the slightly younger croud.

I don't know the name of it (Think it started with a T) It was a sick dinosaur based point and click adventure, you came across a number of large maps that you move up down left right etc, slowly gathering the materials to build buildings, and you end up building weird citadels and such. And, if you spent to much time in one square you sometimes got eaten. It was sick shit.

Also, T-Rex's were the arch nemeses. I believe they are type-cast, no?

This is a great thread. Most all the classics have already been mentioned.

Pyjama Sam.
I think that falls under the category of point and click.

Although it'd probably be very boring now. It was awesome when I first played it, but then again, I was four.

Arcticflame:

RAKtheUndead:
Beneath a Steel Sky.

Oh hell yes. My first adventure game that one.

I quite like Out of Order. It's quite easy, but the rather lame, offbeat, humour amuses me. Story isn't bad either.

Edit - And oh shit I put down the wrong link from the wrong window, fixed. :P

That was my first P&C adventure game that I actually liked.

it also introduced me to Broken Sword 1 & 2, LOOM and The Indiana Jones P&C's.

I know they've both been said but i'm adding a vote for these:
discworld noir, excellent game(rob brydon does a good few of the main voices)
the longest journey and dreamfall

RAKtheUndead:
Beneath a Steel Sky.

This GAME IS FREE

FREEEħ!!!!!!!

on good old games.com

why dont you have it already? ITS FREEEEEEEEEEE!

It's been said before but I'd recommend you to try both the Simon the Sorcerer games(I and II) and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

These are the only ones that are on the same level as some of the classics that you have mentioned. Enjoy.

Maxman3002:
Which of those that ive not played would be the next I should try?

Well it kinda depends on what you like now, doesn't it xD
For instance Simon the Sorcerer 2 was my favorite game EVER till I played Baldur's Gate, might have something to do with the fact that it was one of the first Point & Clicks I ever played and I backtracked from there though but I still like it to this day :P

Anyway Sanitarium is a very "special" and "unique" game in that regard, it's a isometric Adventure and plays in a world that could've originated from every Horror Book ever written put together and creating an almost perfect Amalgamation of "Mistery" and "Scary"...
The main character has a car crash and he gets there and basically has to figure out what is going on...
image image

Blade Runner is a SciFi Adventure, and (imo) beats the movie by far in Presentation and Quality
image image

Floyd (a.k.a. The Feeble Files) is a Space Adventure (Comedy) by the same company that did the Simon the Sorcerer series, so chances are if you didn't like those you might not like that one either:
image image

Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth is an Adventure came that came after the 3 "Gobliiins" (kind of Puzzle games with different "maps") and was kind of funny as far as I can remember.
image image

Dreamfall is more of an Action-Adventure/3D Adventure set around the future and Multinational corporations acting immoral and at a point in the story you get to travel to a different Dimension (a fantasy world) with magic and fantasy creatures. It had an incredibly suspenseful plot letting one forget most of its shortcomings, the first part was a 2D Adventure I completed but didn't get into that much.
image image

Regarding King's Quest, at least part 7 is kind of different from the other ones in that it has a Cartoony style similar to Toonstruck (or Space Quest 6) and plays a lot more like one of the LucasArts Adventures than the other (though you can still die).
image image

Regarding Larry, up to 7 of course xD

The Gene Machine was an adventure set in 1880s London concerning a conspiracy with an evil scientist making a "Gene Machine" and there's some stuff about a rocket and more, it's inspired by Jules Vernes.
image image

Chewy Esc F5, The Orion Burger and Ace Ventura are all comedies.
The first deals with a pink alien crashing on earth and wanting to go back home, the 2nd with an intergalactic burger imperium running out of meat and visiting earth because they need more and there's enough and the first is about the character "Ace Ventura" pet detective trying to solve the case of a missing animal and getting in all sorts of trouble...
image image
image image
image image

Btw. I remembered two more "classics", many people swear on the "Legend of Kyrandia" series by Westwood, although it was never one of my favorites.

And then there's "Kingdom O' Magic", it wasn't the best to look at but it was damn funny and was a spoof of about every fantasy world created till then (most notably Lord of the Rings though) and made me laugh quite a lot xD
image image

Other than that I still have some games on my "To get/play" list I don't know whether they are good or bad yet: The Neverhood, Runaway 1-3, Gabriel Knight, So Blonde, A Vampyre Story, Perry Rhodan, Clever & Smart - A Movie Adventure, Secret Files Tunguska & Emerald City Confidential

And there's a flood of German Adventures coming that are supposedly good (and also look good):

The Whispered World

The Book of Unwritten Tales

A New Beginning

Syberia has been largely left off this list, but has been highly recommended to me by several sources. If you liked the newer Sam & Max games by Telltale and you're a Homestar Runner fan, then check out Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People.

Maxman3002:
Ah crap, I forgot grim fandango. Done that one.

RAKtheUndead:
Beneath a Steel Sky.

Played BaSS once when I was younger but didnt get into it properly (I may have been a bit young and didnt really understand what was going on). Does it get better after the beginning?

Yes - it has a great sense of humour and ends up having a good story. Reviewed here.

While it's more of a typical Sierra parser with mouse support, I recommend the Quest for Glory series. Interesting mix of RPG and adventure.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked