Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yes before I got swamped by people saying it's from Assassins Creed 2, I want to know, what is your interpretation to this statement?

That people are willing to accept anything that isn't the truth?

That assassins don't give a fuck cause they'll kick your ass anyway.

I think it's a fancy way of saying that everything is subjective. If truths are universally accepted norms, then there is no truth because nothing is universally accepted, because everyone sees things from a different point of view. Everything is permitted is saying this as well, because what is right and what is wrong is all subjective.

[/psuedo-sociology rant]

This is in Assasin's Creed?

If there are no legal laws then there can be no crime as there would be no law to say that killing is a crime. If there are no natural laws or laws of physics then anything is possible because who can say that it isn't? In practice, when you discard received wisdom then new things become possible in theory.

*It originated from AC1...*

But yeah it's basically saying that nothing can be absolute, and that every thing can be justified.

There is no such thing as truth, just different points of view.
No act in ^ this world is then unconscionable.

Or I think basically - "The ends justify the means."

EDIT
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/the_end_justifies_the_means

Morally wrong actions are sometimes necessary to achieve morally right outcomes; actions can only be considered morally right or wrong by virtue of the morality of the outcome.

Truth is a point of view, and you can do whatever you want as long as you're willing to pay the price.

SilentBobsThoughts:
Yes before I got swamped by people saying it's from Assassins Creed 2, I want to know, what is your interpretation to this statement?

From what I read in game, it literally means we an objective truth either does not exist or we as humans are hopelessly ill equiped to see it through our subjective natures - as such, "Nothing is True"

As for "Everything is permitted", I think it speaks to there goal of ...

If nothing is true, you can do whatever you want since laws and morality are lies anyway.

We make up our own rules, our own life, our own truth. There is no God for me, but there is a God for some other bloke. Ofc there isn't a God but the guy believing in him would propobly disagree. Everything, morals, stories, hopes, ambitions, predjudice, knowledge works as long as we believe in it. The reason why I don't go out and beat up all the people who are pissing me off is because I hate violence. So that's my truth and therefore not permitted. Others love to fight and even enter competions, that's their truth and therefore permitted.

Ok ok not the best examples!! But ffs, that's how I understood it. I love AC, the characters and everything. Can't wait to play the second one. Gief more story in games!

Actually AC used it before AC2. And some real assassin guy a 1000 years before that.

OT: That the world is built on a misunderstanding/lie (so nothing is true), and because of this there are always ways to get around things (because everything is permitted).

I'm pretty sure the point of it is a way of communicating the fact that there are those before humans and also the pieces of Eden. Everything that society is built on isn't as it seems and can be interpreted any way? Fits with the prophecy at the Vatican.

SilentBobsThoughts:
what is your interpretation to this statement?

Stop talking and let me get back to the stabby stabby.

From Assassin's Creed 1

Before you go I have a question for you-Al-Mualim
Of course-Al-Tair
What is the truth??-Al-Mualim
We place faith in ourselves and see the world the way it really is and hope one day all of mankind will see the same-Al-Tair
The what is the world then?-Al-Mualim
An illusion which we can submit like most do or transcend??-Al-Tair
What is it transcend??-Al-Mualim
To Recognize nothing is true and everything is permitted. That laws not rise from divinity but from reason I understand now our creed does not commands us to be free but it commands to be wise-Al-Tair

Your own belief guides you, do anything to enforce it.

Yeah, it's not from Assassin's Creed 2, or even the first one. It's the motto of Hassan-i Sabbah, leader of the Hashshashin, a real person who lived and died at the end of the 11th century/beginning of the 12th. Also, there's speculation that the actual quote was "nothing is forbidden, everything is possible", which probably makes more sense, but never mind that.

ANYWAY.

The way I see it, the phrase refers to amorality - in a world where nothing is real, no moral boundaries are drawn. If nothing is real, nothing matters, so you draw your own moral boundaries wherever you want, so everything is permitted.

(Yes, I liked Assassin's Creed enough to research all that stuff. I realise it takes geekiness to another level, thanks for pointing that out.)

Miki91:
That assassins don't give a fuck cause they'll kick your ass anyway.

I think this sums it up quite well. Well either that or it's just a nice way to allow for the assassins to bend the rules to their whim.

I think it means that if truly anything can happen, than nothing would be true because you can do something that would make it untrue. For example, "The sky is blue" Rather universally accepted, right? If anything was permitted, or possible, than the sky could be made, say red, thus negating the previous statement.

Souplex:

BURN!

EDIT: I meant that as a you know, "you burned them" not, you should burn. I realised it might look that way.

I think it means that we'll never fnd the truth and that only the most the people in control dictate what people believe

Woodsey:
Actually AC used it before AC2. And some real assassin guy a 1000 years before that.

OT: That the world is built on a misunderstanding/lie (so nothing is true), and because of this there are always ways to get around things (because everything is permitted).

This

hURR dURR dERP:
If nothing is true, you can do whatever you want since laws and morality are lies anyway.

hear hear lol.

That we can only ever say what we perceive and there is no absolute way to describe truth/reality. It is likely there because we all tend to perceive it in similar ways which points to a common trigger but all the while we are bound by our perceptions we cannot define anything as aboslute truth and hence we can only accept an interpretation.

If this kind of stuff interests you i recommend tackling the Critique of Pure Reason by Kant or at least A Very Short Introduction to Kant because he discusses this issue at length.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted" is a philosophy that means the ignorant masses are willing to believe anything they are shown or told by a charismatic figure or way of thinking.

Everything is open to interpretation and has more than one mean and if something is for the greater good the end justifies the means without compromising the idea of the greater good and/or become monsters or evil ourselves.

they said it first in Ac1 though.

and I supose it means that nothing is ever as it seems, everything is subjective in this world and we all have to do whatever we can to survive.

That what the majority see as the truth is being manipulated by some secret society.

In this case, the Templars.

People will believe anything they are told?

Or it means don't believe what you're told because anything can be said.

all the Assassins dont know what is true and what is a lie so they disregard everything and do whatever it takes to accomplish what they want and put themselves in a position of power...

...Or atleast thats how i interpret it

The assasins are willing to do anything to get whatever the hell it is they want.

never trust information form outside sources. you live outside the law. you can assassinate, you can steal, you can hire prostitutes, you can do anything just (as altieer learned in AC 1 which the quote is actually from) keep it with in reason and do not compromise the brotherhood.

Ph33nix:
never trust information form outside sources. you live outside the law. you can assassinate, you can steal, you can hire prostitutes, you can do anything just (as altieer learned in AC 1 which the quote is actually from) keep it with in reason and do not compromise the brotherhood.

the tenets of the creed are
1-Stay your Blade from the Flesh of the Innocent
2-Do not Draw Attention to Yourself
3-Never Compromise the Brotherhood

That whatever we are told to do is false and we can do whatever we want, which is a bit contradictory seeing as the Assassin's had to follow the tenets of the Creed.

ForgottenPr0digy:

Ph33nix:

the tenets of the creed are
1-Stay your Blade from the Flesh of the Innocent
2-Do not Draw Attention to Yourself
3-Never Compromise the Brotherhood

You summed it up pretty well.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked