Looking for a deep RPG to waste countless hours of my life in.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So after beating Dragon Age Origins and in the past few months I've beaten games such as Fallout 3, NeverWinter series, Oblivion, Mass Effect and even a little bit of Elder scrolls but now I feel my RPG void again and I'm itching for a good solid RPG once more. Any recommendations?

The KoTOR series maybe. Also Fable if you haven't played it. Apart from those two I can't suggest many more to you.

Fallout 3 DLC? you listed all the good ones

Maybe play Mass Effect again like everyone else in prep for Mass Effect 2.

Demon's Souls. The game is very deep in many ways (Extensive crafting, extensive technical details like weight, equip burden, item burden, what will you spend your souls on (weapons, items, levels), etc).

Final Fantasy tactics (I have only played the ones on GBA and DS) plays sort of like a Western Turn based strategy despite being made by square. There is a lot of min/maxing, and finding combos of abilitys and equipment that are incredibly unbalanced.

get ff7/8 if you have a ps3

Ever played the games Dragon Age is a 'spiritual successor' to? The Baldur's Gate series? If not look em up, in many ways I still find them superior to newer rpg and Baldur's Gate 2 remains among my all time favorite games. Still easy to find too despite being around 10 years old now, and the sharp 2D art holds up well to the test of time.

fallout 3 for single player and fps style but runescape for MMO

Wizardry 8!

I guess the previous Wizardry games are supposed to be pretty good (this one's actually part of a trilogy with 6 and 7), but 8 is the one I've played, the last one Sirtech made, and is pretty damned awesome.

Arx Fatalis is good. It's pretty dated next to the likes of Oblivion (to which it bears a vague resemblance), but it's..... Charming, and has a certain, shall I say, mystical feel, which should be a legal requirement for all RPGs in my opinion.

Shin megami Tensei Persona 3 and 4, interesting setting great plot and a really well done turn based combat system.

NIHILHATE:
Arx Fatalis is good. It's pretty dated next to the likes of Oblivion (to which it bears a vague resemblance), but it's..... Charming, and has a certain, shall I say, mystical feel, which should be a legal requirement for all RPGs in my opinion.

I give my vote for Arx Fatalis as well.

Western: Planescape Torment.

Eastern: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

Mass Effect 2 at the end of the month?

Bob_Bobbington:
The KoTOR series maybe. Also Fable if you haven't played it. Apart from those two I can't suggest many more to you.

Fable deep?
Lulz.

ROTMASTER:

Runescape for an MMO?
God, these forums are slowly being populated by idiots.

Mstrswrd:
Demon's Souls. The game is very deep in many ways (Extensive crafting, extensive technical details like weight, equip burden, item burden, what will you spend your souls on (weapons, items, levels), etc).

That and the combat that requires actual thinking.
Demon Souls and Baldurs Gates are what you need OP.

imahobbit4062:

Bob_Bobbington:

Fable deep?
Lulz.

ROTMASTER:

Runescape for an MMO?

Mstrswrd:

I've never considered the Fable series an RPG :P
Its more like an easy action adventure game.

Fappy:

imahobbit4062:

Bob_Bobbington:

Fable deep?
Lulz.

ROTMASTER:

Runescape for an MMO?

Mstrswrd:

I've never considered the Fable series an RPG :P
Its more like an easy action adventure game.

It's an action adventure game with some good options.

imahobbit4062:

Bob_Bobbington:

Fable deep?
Lulz.

I was just offering a suggestion from my own collection. Without knowing what platform he specifically wanted I suggested one that was on both PC an xbox. While Fable may be lacking in depth and openness, I was just suggesting something that the OP hadn't mentioned in his opening paragraph. It is ultimately his choice whether he picks it up or not.

imahobbit4062:

ROTMASTER:

Runescape for an MMO?

He's just taking his little baby steps onto the Escapist. He doesn't understand how things work here yet, or how he should read the original post thoroughly, given that he said FO3 despite that already being mentioned in the thread-starter. Runescape is a popular game, regardless of it having Nintendo 64 graphics, a shitty progression system, retarded players, dumb combat (OOH LOOK I CAN CLICK ON FOOD), shit quests and a stupid PVP system. You can't argue with the facts, but I know I wish I could.

Siegreich:
Shin megami Tensei Persona 3 and 4, interesting setting great plot and a really well done turn based combat system.

I like how you think man, I like how you think. Other than these two I could perhaps suggest the Suikoden Series? Number two is a persoanl fave, although its on the PS1.

soundoflights:

This. Do it. Or ninjas will come and kill you.

True gameplay depth and RPGs are a hard mix to find, I'm afraid. Most RPGs sort of lost track of what it was that made RPGs worthwhile to begin with when they took it away from the tabletop and tried to computerize it.

Perhaps a Roguelike game will do.

KOTOR, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale (is ok), Morrowind and I've heard good things about The Witcher. Also why not try Fallout 1 and 2?

Well I'm enjoying The Withcher enhanced edition now. I know Yahtzee ripped it open, but I haven't had any problems with it so far. It can be rather complicated, and it's not very generous with clues, and the combat can get annoying, but I still find it enjoyable. And Geralt reminds me of Kain, so I didn't automatically hate him. Morrowind is always a good choice as well, once modded up to snuff with the expansion packs added. There's always the first two Fallout games as well, as have been mentioned, and Final Fantasy 2 and 2, (4 and 6 if you're a Japanophile).

Seeing as how I've seen that you play quite a bit of RPGs Onyx, why not try some of the lesser known old school RPGs?

Lufia
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals
7th Saga
Legend of Legaia
Y's
Lunar

If not then big nod of approval to Demon's Souls

ShotgunSmoke:

soundoflights:

Salarian Ninjas. They're sneaky fuckers.

NeutralDrow:
Wizardry 8!

I guess the previous Wizardry games are supposed to be pretty good (this one's actually part of a trilogy with 6 and 7), but 8 is the one I've played, the last one Sirtech made, and is pretty damned awesome.

Your joking right.RIGHT??

Ahem.On topic.You might want to check out the Might And Magic games.Those were rather epic back in the day.

If you just want a timewaster, try the Disgaea series. level cap is 9999, nearly bottomless dungeons and machette wielding, peglegged, exploding penguins. also one of the few games where you can beat up the Power Rangers and William Shatner.

Demon's Souls.

RanD00M:

NeutralDrow:
Wizardry 8!

Your joking right.RIGHT??

Which part?

...wait. Did they make another one?! Tell me they made another one!

Persona 3 and 4 on the PS2 are simply excellent. You can spend more than 100 hours easy, and still have things to do in the story.

ROTMASTER:

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNESCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE!!!!!!

auronvi:

ROTMASTER:

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNESCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE!!!!!!

Cause gamers love building campfires for six hours straight.

Well, you've played all of my other ideas so I'm going to go with Albion.

It's free too!

Fappy:

ShotgunSmoke:

soundoflights:

Salarian Ninjas. They're sneaky fuckers.

Psh, the Salarian Ninjas will be taken out by a Drell Assassin, who will then come for him.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked