Embracer Group to Acquire Lord of the Rings IP, Limited Run Games, & More

Embracer Group acquires Middle-earth Enterprises (Lord of the Rings IP), Limited Run Games, Tuxedo Labs, Singtrix, & Tripwire Interactive buy purchase

In a stunning series of back-to-back announcements, Embracer Group has announced it is acquiring multiple businesses and IP through its newly established subsidiary, Embracer Freemode. Specifically, Embracer Group has announced it has entered into individual agreements to acquire Limited Run Games, Singtrix (a vocal processing effects technology company), Tripwire Interactive (the Maneater developer), and, most shockingly, Middle-earth Enterprises, including “IP rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit literary works by J.R.R Tolkien.” Additionally, Embracer has completed an acquisition of Tuxedo Labs, the small developer of Teardown.

Recommended Videos

As a new operative group, Embracer Freemode will focus on the following six market segments: “Retro/Classic/Heritage Gaming & Entertainment, Game Development & Production, Devices, Gear & Collectables, Community & Ecommerce, New Idea & Technology Incubation and Production Services.” The above purchases are quite a good start toward pursuing those markets. And in addition to all of the aforementioned acquisitions, Freemode noted that it has also acquired Swedish studio Bitwave Games and Japanese studio Tatsujin. There is even another massive acquisition that is not being made public yet due to “commercial reasons.” However, Embracer Group will not disclose how much it paid or intends to pay for any of these acquisitions, which is a shame, considering Middle-earth Enterprises and the Lord of the Rings IP must be incredibly valuable.

Most of the acquisition press releases that Embracer Group has provided are relatively straightforward, but below we have included an excerpt from the release for Middle-earth Enterprises and the Lord of the Rings IP, since it is such an extraordinary purchase:

Embracer Group AB (”Embracer”), through its wholly owned subsidiary Freemode[1], has entered into an agreement to acquire Middle-earth Enterprises, a division of The Saul Zaentz Company, which owns a vast intellectual property catalogue and worldwide rights to motion pictures, video games, board games, merchandising, theme parks and stage productions relating to the iconic fantasy literary works The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, as well as matching rights in other Middle-earth-related literary works authorized by the Tolkien Estate and HarperCollins, which have yet to be explored.

[1] Acquired through Embracer’s subsidiary Embracer Freemode Iconic Holding Inc. and will be part of the operative group Embracer Freemode.

I am truly excited to have The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, one of the world’s most epic fantasy franchises join the Embracer family, opening up more transmedia opportunities including synergies across our global group. I am thrilled to see what lies in the future for this IP with Freemode and Asmodee as a start within the group. Going forward, we also look forward to collaborating with both existing and new external licensees of our increasingly stronger IP portfolio, says Lars Wingefors, Founder and Group CEO Embracer Group.

We at the Zaentz Company have had the honor over the past half century of stewarding the Tolkien rights so that Lord of the Rings and Hobbit fans worldwide could enjoy award winning epic films, challenging video games, first rate theatre and merchandise of every variety. We could not be more thrilled that it is Embracer now taking up the responsibility and we are confident their group will take it to new heights and dimensions while maintaining homage to the spirit of these great literary works,“ says Marty Glick, COO of The Saul Zaentz Company.

For those who could use a reminder, Embracer Group is a media holdings company based in Sweden that prior to today already owned a large amount of game development studios and publishers, several of which are themselves wholly owned subsidiaries, including THQ Nordic, Gearbox Software, Saber Interactive, and Asmodee, just to name a slim few.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Is Darth Sidious in Star Wars: The Acolyte?
Darth Sidious in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and Mae in The Acolyte
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Is an Omega-Level Mutant?
Morph, Jean Grey, Jubilee, Cyclops, Rogue, Gambit, Beast, Wolverine, Storm, and Bishop in X-Men '97
Read Article Is Apple TV’s Constellation Getting a Season 2? Answered
Jo in the series Constellation, a woman peering through a glass window on the International Space Station
Related Content
Read Article Is Darth Sidious in Star Wars: The Acolyte?
Darth Sidious in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and Mae in The Acolyte
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Is an Omega-Level Mutant?
Morph, Jean Grey, Jubilee, Cyclops, Rogue, Gambit, Beast, Wolverine, Storm, and Bishop in X-Men '97
Read Article Is Apple TV’s Constellation Getting a Season 2? Answered
Jo in the series Constellation, a woman peering through a glass window on the International Space Station
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.