Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis and classic base PSO2 PS4 English Western release date August 31, 2022 PlayStation 4 mmorpg sci-fi Sega

Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis & Classic Come to PS4 in August

Sega has announced that both Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis and the original classic PSO2 are coming to PlayStation 4 in the West, and the PS4 release date is set for August 31, 2022. This announcement came as part of Anime Expo 2022. To date, Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis has only been playable in the West on Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S, and Windows PC.

Recommended Videos

The original Phantasy Star Online 2 launched in 2012 in Japan on PC as a free-to-play MMORPG, and it subsequently made its way to PS Vita, PlayStation 4, and (via cloud) to Nintendo Switch. However, the game did not officially come West until 2020, when it finally came to Xbox and PC worldwide.

Last year, Sega launched Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis as a massive update to PSO2 that effectively presents a whole new, separate experience without throwing out the original game. It provides larger battlefields, enhanced character models, a redesigned graphics engine, a new system for swapping weapons and abilities, and cross-play. And since it’s still free to play, there’s no harm in giving it a try.

Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis will make a fine addition to PS4 in the West this August, but if that isn’t enough sci-fi RPGs for you, Star Ocean: The Divine Force launches this October as well.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article All Patch Notes for Dragon’s Dogma 2 April 25 Patch
Dragons Dogma 2 Arisen
Read Article Pokemon GO Players Want Massive Spotlight Hour Change After Bugged Trubbish Shiny Rates
Trubbish, the garbage Pokemon, from the animated Pokemon series
Read Article Metaphor: ReFantazio Won’t Have Romance Like Persona
Sitting at dinner with friends in Metaphor: ReFantazio
Related Content
Read Article All Patch Notes for Dragon’s Dogma 2 April 25 Patch
Dragons Dogma 2 Arisen
Read Article Pokemon GO Players Want Massive Spotlight Hour Change After Bugged Trubbish Shiny Rates
Trubbish, the garbage Pokemon, from the animated Pokemon series
Read Article Metaphor: ReFantazio Won’t Have Romance Like Persona
Sitting at dinner with friends in Metaphor: ReFantazio
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.