Best Dragon Age Mage Specialization

Pages PREV 1 2

Cryo84R:
Arcane Warrior: Soloing nightmare since 2009.

Who teaches you Arcane Warrior anyways?

ThePirateMan:

Cryo84R:
Arcane Warrior: Soloing nightmare since 2009.

A spirit in the lower brecillian forest ruins.

An arcane warrior with sprit healer is as inmortal as they come, but blood mage and arcane warrior allows the chracter to dish out as much damadge as a warrior and a mage with less of a mana penalty.

I love blood wound, it is a monster spell and can allow a mage to whipe out all the weak foes and drain all the powerful ones.

Onyx Oblivion:
Arcane Warrior, you only holster your weapons for certain spells, and with the list somewhere on the Dragon Age wiki, you can know what those are!

There's a decent mod on DAOMODS, that changes the spell that require holstering to make more sense, instead of a random assortment of some that do and some that don't, it makes any big area of effect spell require holstering, along with some spirit healing and blood mage spells. Smaller ones can be cast well holding a weapon.

Be careful if you become a blood mage. Wynne will attack you the moment you accept the specialization, and you'll have no choice but to kill her.

linkblade91:
Be careful if you become a blood mage. Wynne will attack you the moment you accept the specialization, and you'll have no choice but to kill her.

I think this happens only if Wynne has joined your party when you face the desire demon. I accepted the specialization long before meeting Wynne and she never said anything about it.

linkblade91:

Shouldn't happen if you force the demon to teach you and release Connor.

Master Coercion ftw.

-- Alex

Not a Spy:

linkblade91:

I think this happens only if Wynne has joined your party when you face the desire demon. I accepted the specialization long before meeting Wynne and she never said anything about it.

Alex_P:

linkblade91:

Master Coercion ftw.

-- Alex

Well, I never actually took the Blood Mage specialization, since it conflicts with personal taste and my character's build. I just stole that information from the Dragon Age guidebook I read in Gamestop.

blue_guy:

JackB:

blue_guy:
Under no circumstances pick Shapeshifting, it's useless beyond all comprehension.

Actually, in my experience the Flying Swarm is helpful. It's boring if you play as your character when you are the swarm, since the swarm just attacks enemies and that's it.

True, but you have to spend 3 talent points getting to that spell.

4 if you want the swarm to heal your character every time the swarm inflicts damage.

Alex_P:

JackB:
Out of the two your leaning towards, I would say Arcane Warrior. Blood Mage only has one spell that is actually worth it and that is Blood Control, I think.

Blood Wound is excellent, too, and being able to power your regular spells off HP for a short time can be quite handy.

-- Alex

hmm, I only tried Blood Mage once and I disliked the healing penalty when Blood Magic was active, so I never used it again. But, in fairness, I never really gave it much of a chance; I will have to change that on my next play-through.

poiumty:

Actually, in my experience the Flying Swarm is helpful.

In my experience getting any shapeshifting spells is the worst thing you can do with your mage.

Perhaps, shapeshifting just doesn't fit your play-style.

The best specialization is anything that isn't shifter. It is really up to what you want out of yer mage.

Arcane Warrior Blood Mage dual spec is by far the best. Especially when using the Blood Dragon armor. Just study up on which spells are usable with your weapon drawn on the Dragon Age wiki. As for which to go with first, I did Arcane Warrior.

Dual-speccing like this ended up being a great strategy for my playstyle. Just have to increase constitution, dexterity, and magic. You can ignore willpower entirely as all spells will be cast with health. Add to that the fact that since sustained spells still draw from mana as opposed to health when Blood Magic is active, and you can give you and your party tons of buffs. Let's see...I think I had Blood Magic, Fiery weapons, Telekinetic weapons, rock armor, death magic, spell wisp, combat magic, and frost weapons all going at once. Add to that fact that Blood Wound and Blood Control are both insanely overpowered, and you have a GG character.

BTW, my team consisted of Shale, Morrigan (shifter/spirit healer), Leliana (bard/ranger), and me (arcane warrior/blood mage). After getting spirit healer for Morrigan, the only time any of my team went down was a couple times against the Archdemon.

atled3:
arcane warrior. the ability to equip your mage with massive armor is pretty bad ass but something to keep in mind is that you will holster any weapon other than a staff while casting spells. unless there's some secret I've yet to find.

That secret would be the elven sword Spellweaver. It acts as a channel, just as well as any staff. It's an Arcane Warrior specific weapon.

Mookie_Magnus:

atled3:
arcane warrior. the ability to equip your mage with massive armor is pretty bad ass but something to keep in mind is that you will holster any weapon other than a staff while casting spells. unless there's some secret I've yet to find.

That secret would be the elven sword Spellweaver. It acts as a channel, just as well as any staff. It's an Arcane Warrior specific weapon.

Or you can just read up on which spells you can cast with your weapon drawn. It depends on which type of weapon and which type of spells you want to use. I personally use a huge-ass axe, so yea.

linkblade91:

Um, what? You get the specialization only as a mage going into the fade to deal with the desire demon. There's no way for Wynne to know what you did in there, and she never attacked me when I dealt with the demon non violently.

Well Arcane Warrior is very overpowered in Dragon Age Origins.

I've heard that the Blood mage spec is pretty underrated though.

The Arcane whatever fighter guy is pretty badass. My dude was a powerhouse.

ThePirateMan:

theres a phylactery in the bracilian forrest elven ruins, find it and you communicate with an ancient elf, they teach you arcane worrior.

OT: Blood mage gives you some great spells, the DLC that gives you sash of forbidden secrets just makes it better, the other DLC that gives you a couple of extra spells using blood is also good

Dracowrath:

linkblade91:

Um, what? You get the specialization only as a mage going into the fade to deal with the desire demon. There's no way for Wynne to know what you did in there, and she never attacked me when I dealt with the demon non violently.

As I said before, I have not ever actually used the Blood Mage specialization. My character was an Arcane Warrior + Spirit Healer, and when I accepted BM, I went back in time so as to have the specialization unlocked for possible future use, but not effect anything with my current playthrough. As to where I got my (I'll admit quite-possibly erroneous or otherwise incomplete) information, I will point out what I have said previously:

linkblade91:

Alex_P:

linkblade91:

Master Coercion ftw.

-- Alex

Well, I never actually took the Blood Mage specialization, since it conflicts with personal taste and my character's build. I just stole that information from the Dragon Age guidebook I read in Gamestop.

If I'm wrong, blame it on a typo in the guide or whatever. The book said that would happen, and since I never personally confirmed or denied its statement, I trusted the information I was presented with as having come from a credible source, and passed it along.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked