What difficulty did you play Mass Effect 2 on?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

My first playthrough I went with normal just to relax and have fun with my soldier class. It went pretty smooth the entire game through.

My second time I went with hardcore as I didn't want to go with the hardest difficulty until my 3rd or 4th. It seemed that the beginning of the game was a lot harder as I didn't have much of my skills on my adept leveled up. The ends of each level where you face a boss would usually result in about 5 attempts until I figured out where to run and take cover so I would not die. It was definitely a challenge but one that felt rewarding, although it was highly annoying at some points.

(Post what class you went with too)

I went with Veteran for my first playthrough, I had just finished a hardcore playthrough of ME1 and didn't want a significant drop down in difficulty. Well, suffice to say, it was a serious shock after getting used to ME1 tactics. The "no-standing-in-the-open-rule" doesn't take long to learn, the "no-more-auto-stick-to-cover" rule took a little more time, and the "don't-stay-in-one-spot-too-long" rule came last. But once I figured those out, it wasn't too hard. There were really only a few battles I had to go through multiple times, the most memorable one being

The vast majority of my deaths came from getting used to controls and getting used to looking down for health/shields rather than actual skill-based challenges.

For my next runthrough, I'm still debating whether to opt for Hardcore or to go ahead and make an attempt at the Insanity achievement.

I did my first playthrough on hardcore, now working through on insane to see the paragon dialog.

I'm glad they decided to give the paragon Shepherd some balls in this one. ME1 paragon Shepherd was a pussy.

first play through on veteran, now doing it on insanity.

First playthrough on normal (Infiltrator), second playthrough which I'm currently rolling on Insanity (Engineer, currently using Geth Shield Boost as a bonus talent). Not finished yet, still have to do all of Ilium. Done Garrus, Jack, Jacob, Mordin and Grunt's loyalty missions and all of the planetary scanning sidequests except for those in the Caleston Rift.

First playthrough on Normal (Useless awful Vanguard), second almost done on Hardcore (Awesome amazing Infiltrator). I'll probably run another in a few weeks on Insanity with Sentinel or Soldier. ME2 is significantly harder than ME1 was. Even Insanity on ME1 was a complete joke. I'd say that ME1 Insanity was easier than ME2 Veteran is.

I'm currently playing it on hardcore and getting owned on a regular basis, but I love it. ME2 is more challenging than the original and forces me to be a bit more creative in combat.

My first playthrough was on normal, and I think the same will go for my second playthrough. My third and final speed-run playthrough will be on Insanity.

First playthrough on normal with Infiltrator
Not going to bother with a second playthrough

Normal difficulty. Seeing my suckishness here, I doubt I'll be beating it on insane any time soon.

I beat it on Normal my first time through...I'm seriously considering trying Insane difficulty

insanity or it doesn't count... still playing through it but not having too much trouble except when i am fighting healing enemies and scions

engineer with warp ammo specialized

Right now, I'm going with Normal with the solider. So far it's not that diffcult and I only seem to die when I act like an idiot and try to rush forward only to be gunned down by the supeior firepower.

I played it on the difficulty that makes the salarian incredibly annoying....wait, thats every difficulty......

I did Normal Soldier first, now I am doing a Veteran Sentinel.

I am not sure if I will do an insanity run at any point

Played normal on the first go-through, I'm going to jump directly to Insanity for my second so I can wipe out the rest of the achievements in one go.

Before I play it a second time though, I'm probably going to go and play Mass Effect 1 again to get an ideal character to carry through to Mass Effect II and III.

VaultBoy:
I played it on the difficulty that makes the salarian incredibly annoying....wait, thats every difficulty......

While he might not have been ideal in combat I find personally that Mordin was one of my favorite characters just because of the absolutely insane and random stuff he would say.

My first playthrough was on hardcore I believe. It wasn't to difficult once I got used to the controls and skills. Now I'm trying to beat it on veteran for my renegade playtrhough. After that I plan to beat it on insanity and perfect my paragon playthrough.

Spectrum_Prez:
There were really only a few battles I had to go through multiple times, the most memorable one being

I had to do that battle multiple times on hardcore, but it only took me one try on veteran. Don't know why I had so much trouble with it the first time.

Internet Kraken:
My first playthrough was on hardcore I believe. It wasn't to difficult once I got used to the controls and skills. Now I'm trying to beat it on veteran for my renegade playtrhough. After that I plan to beat it on insanity and perfect my paragon playthrough.

Spectrum_Prez:
There were really only a few battles I had to go through multiple times, the most memorable one being

I had to do that battle multiple times on hardcore, but it only took me one try on veteran. Don't know why I had so much trouble with it the first time.

Once you get familiar with the layout of the level, its not too hard. It's just a matter of dodging his attack, moving from cover to cover, and taking out the weenies quickly. Takes a while to figure this out though, since its hard to run from cover to cover while firing off shots and thus running into a corner of the level and getting fried.

Causal

Just trying to enjoy the story and a bit of the action. May increase level for more challenge later on.

Veteran. Wasn't all that challenging, so I'm going for Insanity next.

Played Veteran and with Soldier on first play through, but I'm having severe difficulties with the Insanity difficulty. Why do they take away all your upgrades and reduce your squads ability to use their loyalty based powers? I already beat it the first time, shouldn't those items and abilities transfer over? When I played Insanity diff on ME1, I had everything I started with, I just had to recruit squad members and assign points.

Normal

Finished it on hardcore with a Sentinel, onto Insanity next.

Bits that I found really tough:

Geth Colossus

Two Scions and lots of husks on Horizon

Miranda's Loyalty mission against the Asari commando

Trying to fight 3 YMIR mechs at once on a side mission

yeah, playing on Normal was hard enough actually after playing ME1.

in ME1, it's all about getting your defensive powers up and then being an unstoppable power house (as a commando or shock trooper you can keep Immunity up 100% of the time without any extra mods). Even on Insanity it wasn't so much about having to dish out insane amounts of damage (although that certainly helped), but controlling and maintaining your health, that made the difference.

This game isn't quite like that, but it was fun though.. I'm going to play through on Veteran next. It'll be a while before I try insanity.

Normal Soldier
Veteran Vanguard (current)

Next will be Hardcore, probably Soldier again just because I never used Adrenaline Rush the first time AT ALL.

First time through, hard (probably Veteran) mode with an Infiltrator.

Maybe Hardcore with an adept next time.

If I decide there be a next time. Frankly, I liked the first game more, though Mass Effect 2 was a satisfactory successor.

Normal for my first playthrough. That way I could get as much story as I could. Then on my current playthrough, Insanity.

1st run- Normal as Adept
2nd- Veteran as Adept (struggled)
3rd- Attempted Insane. Failed & gave up
4th- Normal as Infiltrator

Normal (Sentinel) - Veteran (Sentinel) - Hardcore (Infiltrator) - Veteran (Vanguard)

I did try an Insanity playthrough, but I just didn't find it any fun. I was making progress, but it wasn't entertaining. Also, while I did finish the game on Hardcore, I wasn't a big fan of the shift in game mechanics that made certain powers useless. Therefore, Veteran seems to be my comfort zone and I'm happy with it. It's hard enough to give me a challenge and kick my ass if I slack off, but still reasonable enough to be fun and not force optimized builds on me.

On a related note, did you know the game is harder if you import a level 30 character instead of starting a new one?

Finished my first playthrough on Normal (Soldier) now doing it again with the same character on Veteran.

Insanity for me. I didn't have too many problems until I started fighting Scions and Harbinger.

Adept for me.

In all honesty? I tried normal at first (was fresh off the boat from finishing ME1 yet again), and it kicked my ass. Ever since then I play on Casual because I don't like getting frustrated.

I went for hardcore for the first four story missions, at which point I just said 'Screw it' and bumped it up to insane; whereupon I promptly gunned down a small army of Mecha, the end boss on Grunt's mission, and led a merry (and uninterrupted) blaze of glory all the way to the best possible endgame.

...My God that game was easy.

Adept is best I reckon, specially with Slam/Reave as your bonus talent.

Veteran first time, wasn't too difficult, only one instance did I repeatedly get owned (collector ship). Tried insanity, gave up, now doing a casual run :D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked