Regarding the What-Does-Tali-Look-Like situation...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

[Posted elsewhere, before I decided to make a separate topic out of it.]

I didn't romance Tali, what with my various Shepards being female (because, hey, it's Jennifer Hale). Even if I were playing a ManShep, I probably still wouldn't romance her. Personally, I think the Shepard-Tali relationship works better on the friend level, a la Kirk and Spock--and in any case, I'm perfectly fine with not screwing every single person on the ship.

Having said that: seriously, Bioware, why the big mystery? The Quarians have been around for a while, and I'm sure that at some point, somebody somewhere has seen one of them unmasked.

So unless there's some goofy plot twist coming up that requires that we don't know what they look like, stop jerking us around and just let us see Tali's fucking face already.

...at least, that's my position on the matter. How about you guys--has anyone else figured out if there's a point to keeping her face hidden that I haven't thought of, besides just keeping horny fanboys in suspense?

dreadedcandiru99:

I didn't romance Tali, what with my various Shepards being female and all (because, hey, it's Jennifer Hale). Even if I were playing a ManShep, I probably still wouldn't romance her. Personally, I think the Shepard-Tali relationship works better on the friend level, a la Kirk and Spock--and in any case, I'm perfectly fine with not screwing every single person on the ship.

Having said that: seriously, Bioware, why the big mystery? The Quarians have been around for a while, and I'm sure that at some point, somebody somewhere has seen one of them unmasked.

So unless there's some goofy plot twist coming up that requires that we don't know what they look like, stop jerking us around and just let us see Tali's fucking face already.

...at least, that's my position on the matter. How about you guys--has anyone else figured out if there's a point to keeping her face hidden that I haven't thought of, besides just keeping horny fanboys in suspense?

It's more just to keep the mystery going than anything else, from what I've gathered.

It's more interesting to not know what she actually looks like.

No way, I don't care about what she looks like. She'll die if she takes it off. They don't have a planet.

Their immune system is shit, hence they need masks to offer extra protection against any viruses or other shit

The reason anything should be kept in suspecnse, especially in a story heavy game, because the players want to impose their own imagination onto it. Whatever they made Tali look like, it could never be as beautiful, hideous, normal or slightly uncanny as what the player can conjure in his own head.

Agayek:

dreadedcandiru99:

I didn't romance Tali, what with my various Shepards being female and all (because, hey, it's Jennifer Hale). Even if I were playing a ManShep, I probably still wouldn't romance her. Personally, I think the Shepard-Tali relationship works better on the friend level, a la Kirk and Spock--and in any case, I'm perfectly fine with not screwing every single person on the ship.

It's more just to keep the mystery going than anything else, from what I've gathered.

It's more interesting to not know what she actually looks like.

and it also means that bioware can make the actual game better rather than wasting money and resources creating the faces of quarians.

When people don't know what someone/something is, it's creates a sort of "Air of mystery" and makes them more interesting, but at the same time makes them want to know what it is.

However, once it is revealed, it loses some of its appeal. I know myself that once something once mysterious was revealed, it somehow felt ruined. Its reveal was done well, and it wasn't disappointing, but it somehow felt ruined.

It works much better if it stays a mystery until the very end, In my opinion anyways.

Jaranja:
No way, I don't care about what she looks like. She'll die if she takes it off. They don't have a planet.

Someone didn't romance Tali.

Poor immune system. So if they take them off they die. Plus it's a damn mystery that keeps everyone suggesting. If this is revealed then all interest becomes boring and dull and no one will like anymore

am i the only one still thinking how their immune became that bad in the 1st place?
i cant recall but i suppose they explained that some where in the game right?

because i cant imagine how having your planet taken away have such an impact on some ones immune system.. i mean common unless they live on sterilized ships for like hundreds of generations i dont see how that could happen.. and i took it the geth/quarian war isnt generations old...

There's quotes from one of the older Asari individuals that references "..and most of those asari aren't even old enough to remember what the quarians looked like without the masks"

sure people do, but the point is that YOU dont

I kind of enjoy the prospect for two main reasons, both of them psychological:

1) Gives the PC, the ability to use their own imagination, which in many ways gives her character the MOST depth of any of the available romance sub-plots or non romantic conversations. Imagine if you will if one of your close friends had to wear breathing masks, how would it effect your relationship with them? Would it define the way you felt about them, or acted around them?

2) Built off of 1) it in my opinion is a direct juxtaposition to the miranda character in the form of like-ability based of looks. Given the multitude of ass-shot angles when conversing with her, and the dialogue of her past and *knowing* how she's seen; in direct comparison to Tali's worry over the way she's seen it definitely brings to mind the interesting concept behind liking or getting to know an individual on a level beyond simple carnal desires based on looks.

*note* not attempting to state that you do or dont fall into some category here, just simply posting my musings on the subject and my interest in the cavalcade of fan-dom that the Tali situation has spawned.

You would have thought that someone would have taken a picture and stuck it in a history book somewhere...

F

phoenix352:
am i the only one still thinking how their immune became that bad in the 1st place?

because i cant imagine how having your planet taken away have such an impact on some ones immune system.. i mean common unless they live on sterilized ships for like hundreds of generations i dont see how that could happen.. and i took it the geth/quarian war isnt generations old...

From everything I understood it was many generations old.

citing the asari reference when speaking to one of the matriarchs in game 2

and the discussions about the quarians as a race and the implications of the pilgramage

That and biology, similar immune system damages occur for astronauts who spend too much time in space, while not as dire (given the drastic difference in length) the process exists

Amnestic:

Jaranja:

Does she take off her suit? I thought she just connected with your suit or something.

Jaranja:

Amnestic:

Jaranja:

Does she take off her suit? I thought she just connected with your suit or something.

Takes off her mask and starts making out with you, then you fade to black. Doesn't show if they actually boinked or not, suppose it leaves it up to your imagination.

Jaranja:

Amnestic:

Jaranja:

Shepperd takes off her mask, smirks and she pounces on him like the hunters from left 4 dead.. and it fades to black.. all that in 4-5 seconds.. anti climaxity(i dont think this is a word...lol) at its finest

edit: damn ninjas =(

Why exactly does Tali wear the suit while on the migrant fleet? I thought the suit was for being outside the sterile conditions?

JaredXE:
Why exactly does Tali wear the suit while on the migrant fleet? I thought the suit was for being outside the sterile conditions?

why does every other quarin wear a suit in there for that matter?

i suppose Shepperd is a walking disease?

Ex_ery:

From everything I understood it was many generations old.

citing the asari reference when speaking to one of the matriarchs in game 2

and the discussions about the quarians as a race and the implications of the pilgramage

That and biology, similar immune system damages occur for astronauts who spend too much time in space, while not as dire (given the drastic difference in length) the process exists

I believe the Geth rebellions were about 260 years ago (I think. Not entirely sure). I was wondering how the Quarians immune systems got so weak in that amount of time. Though maybe it does happen that fast in reality.

phoenix352:

i suppose Shepperd is a walking disease?

Basically. You can intimidate the ship captain by threatening to breath human germs all over his ship.

JaredXE:

Because the fleet isn't sterile, and definately wouldn't be with 17 million people outside the suits. You have germs and different strains of the same germs, which is basically the same thing, than most people around you.

For example, you have E. Coli bateria in your gut right now. It's not killing you, obviously. E. Coli becomes a problem when you ingest a different strain of E. Coli with your food or water and the two start duking it out in your intestines.

Every good story has a "vague" character archetype. Most often they cannot even speak (Kenny McKormic, Coco, RTD2, etc.) but are strangely some of the most loved characters by the fanbase. I don't see why they would mess that up for you, just seems counter-productive.

The fact that this thread even exists is part of the reason they don't show her face.

They want us speculating and making a meme out of it.

JaredXE:

Even on the migrant fleet, Quarians are mostly suited, they actually have special cleanships that they go to to remove their suits.

I think the handling of their immunology was better in this one. The fact that they have a weaker immune system doesn't mean that they will immediately die, they still have to catch something that is harmful to Quarians (and on the Normandy, the only source of viable candidates would be Garrus, no-one else's symbiotic bacteria would be able to get purchase in a dextro-amino acid body), however because their immune system is suppressed most of the time they get extreme allergic responses when it overcompensates for harmless but foreign bacteria.

phoenix352:

yeah if you talk to tali alot she explains it

4 Tali threads on the first page of the Gaming forum.
I don't usually like to point this out, but that's four for one character of a game.

So, you decided to make a thread when an active one is already in use... because?

Regardless of this spin off of my thread... Nobody will be pleased with what Tali looks like. Its impossible.

TheNumber1Zero:
When people don't know what someone/something is, it's creates a sort of "Air of mystery" and makes them more interesting, but at the same time makes them want to know what it is.

However, once it is revealed, it loses some of its appeal. I know myself that once something once mysterious was revealed, it somehow felt ruined. Its reveal was done well, and it wasn't disappointing, but it somehow felt ruined.

It works much better if it stays a mystery until the very end, In my opinion anyways.

I love you. Not because what you said was insightful (though it was), but because "Air of Mystery" is what I and some of my friends from the Escapist call Smoke Grenades :)

orannis62:
I love you. Not because what you said was insightful (though it was), but because "Air of Mystery" is what I and some of my friends from the Escapist call Smoke Grenades :)

Air of mystery... smoke grenades...
That-Is-Genius! I must start using that.

TheNumber1Zero:

orannis62:

Air of mystery... smoke grenades...
That-Is-Genius! I must start using that.

Yeah. It's best if yelled as if it was a spell. "I'm casting Air of Mystery!" Partially because it sounds funny to those who get it, and partially because it confuses the fuck out of whoever doesn't.

We also had this thing when we played Cod4, where one person would yell "Air of mystery" and everyone would throw a smoke grenade, regardless of situation. Confused enemies and was just funny.

orannis62:
Yeah. It's best if yelled as if it was a spell. "I'm casting Air of Mystery!" Partially because it sounds funny to those who get it, and partially because it confuses the fuck out of whoever doesn't.

We also had this thing when we played Cod4, where one person would yell "Air of mystery" and everyone would throw a smoke grenade, regardless of situation. Confused enemies and was just funny.

I need to put smoke in one of my classes, perhaps my sniper class...

phoenix352:

about 300 years. And their immune systems were pretty weak to start with. I don't believe they no longer have immune systems, but rather, they never properly developed due to the sterile environment.

MelasZepheos:
The reason anything should be kept in suspecnse, especially in a story heavy game, because the players want to impose their own imagination onto it. Whatever they made Tali look like, it could never be as beautiful, hideous, normal or slightly uncanny as what the player can conjure in his own head.

Yes it is good storytelling. I am so sick and tired of every game story holding my hand (with the few exceptions). It is almost stunning that gaming has made it this far. During the Coleco/Atari days gaming was mostly imagination. You had to imagine the white block arcing over the screen was a grenade. You had to imagine the green block was some sort of sinister alien bent on world destruction.

Obvious statement: This type of mystery is often used in Horror movies. A really good director realizes that the human mind can imagine something far more terrifying than he can ever put on screen. This is the same idea: The human mind can imagine a face far more beautiful than anything Bioware could ever make.

Hypothetical musings: Perhaps the fucking of Tali and Shepard will render a hybrid creature capable of surviving outside of a suit. Imagine the memes to grow of this idea.

Bet she's a furry.

It would be worth it to see the internet rage.

GloatingSwine:
Bet she's a furry.

It would be worth it to see the internet rage.

Ooooh, excuse to post my collection of Tali spoof pics? I think so!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked