Best game Storyline Ever.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

For me, the best Storyline ever is Planescape: Torment. It was a nice difference from all the other RPG's, and it is an incredible experience.

Also the Myth Series. Heavily influenced by Norse mythology, the whole fantasy setting and literally fighting for your existence made it very good.

The Longest Journey. Holy crap that game is awesome. Immersion, environment, writing, storytelling. It's an adventure game so it's pretty much puzzle solving, and I had to use a guide to get through some parts.

So what game, or games, do you feel have the best storyline?

CrysisMcGee:
Planescape: Torment.

You managed a /thread worthy suggestion in the firs post, well done.

Seriously though I doubt there any any up there with PS:T.

I would like to put up Bioshock for this award

I would honestly have to say Space Wizards 2.
I enjoyed the characters, the acting, and the writing.

Fantasy World Dizzy! :D

FFX. The only storyline where I've really connected with characters emotionally. Genuinely felt pity for them.

Jaranja:
FFX. The only storyline where I've really connected with characters emotionally. Genuinely felt pity for them.

Really? I managed to hate their guts. Due mostly to Tidus, everyone else was Meh" in my books, some good. But Tidus threw the proverbial shit over my hopes of me connecting with the characters.

Halo. It's not just another generic space shooter, and the backstory is one of the most immense out there, not counting things like Star Wars and Warhammer that take backstory to obscene levels...

Halo definitely has one of the best stories I've seen in a game for a long time.

I've tooted this horn before, but I loved the storyline from the PS2 RPG Okage: ShadowKing. The gameplay was shit, which is why no one ever heard of it, but the plot was brilliant. you play this kid whose father accidentally unleashes the soul of an ancient evil dark lord, the shadow king Stan, who jumps into your shadow and enlists you as his firt minion as you go about defeating other Evil Kings so Stan can take the world over again. There are numerous subplots, interesting characters, and one brilliant ending, but nobody ever got there because the gameplay was SO DAMN tedious and annoying.

But really, if I could write this into a book, I would.

dududf:

Jaranja:

Really? I managed to hate their guts. Due mostly to Tidus, everyone else was Meh" in my books, some good. But Tidus threw the proverbial shit over my hopes of me connecting with the characters.

Ok, I liked Tidus. Having a clueless moron really meant there had to be more information flying around about Spira. If it was someone that knew all the stuff already, there would be half as much dialogue.

dududf:

Jaranja:

HA HA HA HA HA HA! HAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA!

(seriously?)

I liked Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect, due to just the sheer overwhelming amount of background to it. different caste systems, royalty, how you can get to be a member of another race's government, and the technology and EVERYTHING.

Paragon Seuss

Jaranja:

Pity because they had to be in FFX?

Lol kidding.

I'd have to say Mother 3, due to it's strong writing, strong cast, compelling use of themes and thematic imagery, and it's skillful manipulation of emotion. The fact that this game demands tears of sadness is a testament to it's story.

the legacy of kain series has an amazing story (to bad they are likely to never finish it).

And now that the second game has dropped, I think that the Mass effect games have a really good story, can't wait to see what happens in the third

TF2 has the best.

Majora's Mask. It stomped all over the other Zelda plotlines and if you keep in mind that literally everyone you meet is going to die in a couple days it can really be a touching and deep experience. If you have the game go read the postman's letter to himself on his bed on the third day and tell me that's not some great writing.

Metroid Prime for having a super deep space detective story. That also can't be denied it's coolness.

Also Demon's Souls for having the gameplay supplement storyline and vice versa.

SnootyEnglishman:

I think BioShock is in league with Max Payne. While they told the story amazingly well, the subject matter was rather basic. Presentation: A+, Plot: B.

Silent Hill 1 & 2 I believe have unmatched story's in terms of depth, detail and atmosphere. While the game mechanics do not really add to the immersion, the atmosphere of the game world makes the story feel far more dangerous and vivid. Presentation B: Plot: A+

After both Silent Hill games, I felt like I needed therapy.

elemenetal150:
the legacy of kain series has an amazing story (to bad they are likely to never finish it).

This brings a tear to my eye. That series was one of the few to use time travel to convincing effect. The irritating thing is that Defiance ended on such a cliffhanger!

Sephychu:

elemenetal150:

This brings a tear to my eye. That series was one of the few to use time travel to convincing effect. The irritating thing is that Defiance ended on such a cliffhanger!

I loved Blood Omen but hated Soul Reaver, so I never quite got the full story. It wasn't the plot of Soul Reaver I disliked but mechanic of shifting between worlds to solve the puzzles. Many times it was not even partially obvious when or where one was supposed to shift to solve a riddle, and the further the games go along the more esoteric they become with the shifting mechanic.

It was too much of a headache for something I felt added very little to the world. Had they done a better implementation I don't think I would have had such an issue with the mechanic, but as it stands Soul Reaver 1 & 2 are almost unplayable for me.

Thus, I regretfully never got the whole Legacy of Kain story.

Final fantasy IX for me hands down.Its filled with nostalgia too.

I'm probably going to be lambasted but I absolutely adored Metal Gear Solid's story; 1 through 4.

Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid (yeah, 2 too)

Void(null):

Sephychu:

elemenetal150:

I loved Blood Omen but hated Soul Reaver, so I never quite got the full story. It wasn't the plot of Soul Reaver I disliked but mechanic of shifting between worlds to solve the puzzles. Many times it was not even partially obvious when or where one was supposed to shift to solve a riddle, and the further the games go along the more esoteric they become with the shifting mechanic.

It was too much of a headache for something I felt added very little to the world. Had they done a better implementation I don't think I would have had such an issue with the mechanic, but as it stands Soul Reaver 1 & 2 are almost unplayable for me.

Well, I loved that about Soul Reaver, but, opinions differ.

Soul Reaver 2 made it a lot more obvious where you needed to shift, and was more combat focused, and Defiance had you playing as Kain for a lot of it. The plotline was utterly IMMENSE.

SnootyEnglishman:

Seconded,

"Would you kindly strangle this puppy?" Lol

Best twist ever, never saw it coming.

The Darkness. The storyline isn't very deep, but it's told extremely well and I actually care about the characters. The ending scene got me really emotional... that one line that's like "We only get one moment, Jackie. Just to say goodbye."

Damn, I hope a sequel gets made. Quite a sad note to end it on.

XMark:
The Darkness. The storyline isn't very deep, but it's told extremely well and I actually care about the characters. The ending scene got me really emotional... that one line that's like "We only get one moment, Jackie. Just to say goodbye."

Damn, I hope a sequel gets made. Quite a sad note to end it on.

Yeah it was a great story.

At times it was almost too much though, poor old Jackie got no peace in that game and it was so dour and depressing at times I had to walk away and come back later.

But still, it was brilliantly told.

Trivun:
Halo. It's not just another generic space shooter, and the backstory is one of the most immense out there, not counting things like Star Wars and Warhammer that take backstory to obscene levels...

Halo definitely has one of the best stories I've seen in a game for a long time.

"Cole, you magnificent bastard, I've read your book!"
I agree that the backstory is quite rich
Also, Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill...and Portal for having multiple layers of meaning to GLaDOS' monologues

Left 4 Dead....ok really Bioshock has an amazing story

Sephychu:

Void(null):

Sephychu:

elemenetal150:

Soul Reaver 2 made it a lot more obvious where you needed to shift, and was more combat focused, and Defiance had you playing as Kain for a lot of it. The plotline was utterly IMMENSE.

Due to the magic of the voice actors, a great story was turned into a masterpiece. Also, does any one find it funny that Raziel's actor, Michael Bell, once played a Smurf?

Anyways, for my vote, it would probably be Final Fantasy XII. Without a love story(an overt one, anyways) it managed to really pull me in the deepest of any of Square's games since Chrono Trigger.

Sephychu:

Defiance I really didn't have a problem with, but getting past that huge speed bump of the Original Soul Reaver to then ease into 2, was a feat of gaming prowess I never pulled off.

Something about the game just drove me up the wall.

Its certainly not a bad game, and has an amazing story, but its one of the most difficult Puzzle/Platform games I have ever played, and my hat off to anyone who has beaten the two.

Metal Gear Solid games always have an excellent storyline. I love those. Same goes for the Mass Effect games, I actually cared for the characters. If any game succeeds on that front, its storyline is a winner.

Okami. There was genuine emotion there, and some great characters and dialogue. May I also nominate the Mass Effect series so far, both games have great plot and characters.

I gotta say Bioshock is the most memorable one, amazing villains, atmosphere and presentation of the the story too.

MGS for the vastness alone...the fact you can play the same game again and notice things you hadnt before :)

also dragonquest VIII (Avatar!) But mostly for the strong characters, and nostagia :P

"The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?"

I'm going to have to go with Legacy of Kain's and Mass Effect's awesomely written stories.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked