Best game Storyline Ever.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I think that the forgotten classic 'Manic Miner' has the best storyline - you go around jumping and collecting random objects, to no end whatsoever

Compelling stuff I know

T-Bone24:
Okami. There was genuine emotion there, and some great characters and dialogue. May I also nominate the Mass Effect series so far, both games have great plot and characters.

I just started okami! whoohoo!

I'd pick Mass Effect (1&2) cause they were really well written and they don't have 'bitch endings' (i.e. The Mist or Halo 2).

An honorable mention would go to the Kingdom Hearts franchise as I'm still trying to piece together the story Nomura has laid out and I can't really tell until it's all done and over with...

Hobo Joe:
I'm probably going to be lambasted but I absolutely adored Metal Gear Solid's story; 1 through 4.

you sir have my respect.

best story line ever? either "Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic" or "Fallout 3"

BioShock had a great story that eventually led me to learning about Ayn Rand and buying one of her books. It obviously had a pretty big impact on me. Half-Life 2 also is up there because not only was the story great but it had me connected to the characters.

But of course, these games can't even hold a candle to Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the DS. Absolutely hands down the best story in any game, DS or otherwise, and probably one of the best mysteries out of any kind of entertainment.

Jaranja:
FFX. The only storyline where I've really connected with characters emotionally. Genuinely felt pity for them.

I almost went with this...almost.

Then I remembered Killer 7. Holy crap, that game still has me thinking about it months after I beat it.

Planescape: Torment was created by Obsidian, I believe. Obsidian is also the creator of Kotor 2, a game whose storyline (while the combat and some mechanics were broken in some places) was very good. Featured the best written female character ever.

The Mass Effect games were also delicious from beginning to end. Bioshock and Braid are also up there. There's a nice indie game on Xbox Live called Light's End, which I highly recommend if you are into story (as the whole game is based around progressing the plot).

I really want to get a copy of Chrono Trigger; I heard it's a great JRPG.

I also wanna get my hands on the original Katamari Damacy, Psychonauts, System Shock 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Deus Ex, and the MGS series (the main games, at least), none of which I have ever played.

I know, I've been depraved....

really, this guy takes the cake at least for story ideas:

skip to 1:16 of impatient.

Metal Gear Solid 1-4, with honorable mention going to Final Fantasy X and Lost Odyssey. Mass Effect isn't yet qualified for this award because its story arc isn't yet complete.

bioshock has the best story out of all the games i've play but assassin's creed get's a prize for most really listice story (incept the for POE )

elemenetal150:
the legacy of kain series has an amazing story (to bad they are likely to never finish it).

Sephychu:

This brings a tear to my eye. That series was one of the few to use time travel to convincing effect. The irritating thing is that Defiance ended on such a cliffhanger!

No it didn't...

It's a cyclical storyline. I thought that entire series of games had some of the best writing out there (with some of the biggest plot holes), but I never felt it was unfinished.

Blood Omen leads into Blood Omen 2
Soul Reaver leads into Soul Reaver 2
Defiance leads into Blood Omen and Blood Omen 2.

Jaranja:
FFX. The only storyline where I've really connected with characters emotionally. Genuinely felt pity for them.

Ah yes. I second this, it was a great game, the game that actually made me play the other final fantasies.

I have to say i'm happy to see people have not forgotten some really good games. For me it's somewhere between Planescape Torment and The Longest Journey. But i also liked the BG saga and System Shock 2 (i mean, SHODAN alone is enough to..). And Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption and Deus Ex. :D

the metal gear solid series.

deus ex

Arc Twilight of the Spirits, that story is just perfect.

AcacianLeaves:

elemenetal150:
the legacy of kain series has an amazing story (to bad they are likely to never finish it).

Sephychu:

This brings a tear to my eye. That series was one of the few to use time travel to convincing effect. The irritating thing is that Defiance ended on such a cliffhanger!

No it didn't...

It's a cyclical storyline. I thought that entire series of games had some of the best writing out there (with some of the biggest plot holes), but I never felt it was unfinished.

Blood Omen leads into Blood Omen 2
Soul Reaver leads into Soul Reaver 2
Defiance leads into Blood Omen and Blood Omen 2.

How did Defiance not end in a cliffhanger?

Also, time travel wise, That isn't the order. The Kain from Blood Omen kills the Sarafan, Ressurects them as vampires, Raziel kills all of them, then Kain travels to the setting of Soul Reaver 2. The proverbial coin then lands on its edge, splitting the time stream off at the end of Blood Omen 1, creating the events of Blood Omen 2. After the coin lands on its edge, the Kain of the original, pre-paradox Blood Omen, who is still in the events depicted in Soul Reaver 2, goes on to play his part in Defiance, and then Raziel splits off from his previous self as well, becoming the Spirit Reaver, rather than the wraith blade. Time shifts all around again, correcting the past versions, but leaving the events as concrete.
The kain of Blood Omen 1 has not yet experienced the events of Defiance, or anything past Blood Omen. This is proven through the unrestored state of the Pillars of Nosgoth at the end of Defiance.

I'm aware that makes almost no sense whatsoever, but if you look, all the information is there.

For a much more coherent(longer) summary, go here. http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=67129

Out of the more recent games I've played I'd have to say Mass Effect 2

Planescape: Torment is (as some of you know by now) probably my favourite RPG of all time. The rich characters, voice-acting, direction, pacing and writing make it so.

If I had to pick some others that are worthy but not quite up to it's accolades I'd choose the following:

Morrowind (Who doesn't want to be the messiah?)

Baldur's Gate Trilogy (Hmm again with the son of a god thing... maybe I DO have delusions of adequacy after all...)

Fallout 3 (It speaks for itself).

Edit: Ooh I forgot Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. It's buggy as hell but if you get the recent fan-made patches you can not only fix it up but restore a lot of content that got cut due to time constraints. One of the very best. Tremere for the win!

morrowind

After reading the whole thread and having played most of the games mentioned I can safely say, it's still Planescape and it's still by a wide margin.

Trivun:
Halo. It's not just another generic space shooter,

Yes it is.

It's about humans fighting aliens who have a weapon built a long long time ago by an ancient race that can destroy all life in the universe.
I can't count how many stories there are exactly like that.

I nominate KotOR II, or at least, KotOR II without all the cut content.

T-Bone24:
Okami. There was genuine emotion there, and some great characters and dialogue. May I also nominate the Mass Effect series so far, both games have great plot and characters.

I was waiting for someone to say it! I loved Okami, I also loved Okage: Shadow King (which someone has already said I believe) though I did not get to finish it, I adored the game.

Mass Effect series. Brilliant story, characters and action.

Its just a place I would love to live in. Minus the Reapers of course.

Yodobama:

Trivun:
Halo. It's not just another generic space shooter,

Yes it is.

It's about humans fighting aliens who have a weapon built a long long time ago by an ancient race that can destroy all life in the universe.
I can't count how many stories there are exactly like that.

I nominate KotOR II, or at least, KotOR II without all the cut content.

I assume you haven't seen any of the backstory in the expanded material, nor played any of the games past the main trilogy? Try those and you'll see that I am actually completely right with my view.

Bioshock had a very good story, but I personally prefer System Shock 2.

Also, the first Fallout.

Insert about a dozen adventure games here, including Broken Sword 1 and 2, the Myst series, Feeble Files, and above all The Longest Journey.

RTSs/etc next: Warcraft 3 (+ FT, RIP Arthas), Starcraft (+ BW)

RPGs: Morrowind (ah shit, now I have to kill a God), with hon mensh to some of Oblivion's moments/material, Fallout as a series and as individual games, Dragon Age, KOTOR, Mass Effect, maybe Fable 2, Divine Divinity (but probably not Beyond Divinity).

I'll forego listing the browser games and art games and intfic, as the first is a little esoteric and the latter two are arguably not "games" in the sense the OP intended.

Well, I'm going to have to say Half-life 2, just cause I thought it explained enough, or let you gather just enough, to know what was kind of going on, but not everything.

And Final Fantasy IV (or is it 6?) Not to ruin it, but I liked how you don't succeed the first time you try to save the world.

The original Bionic Commando on the NES. Future Nazis resurrect Hitler and turn him into an eight foot tall slab of beef who can only be defeated by a cyborg commando. Gold!

Ico, Shadow of the Collosus, Portal, Silent Hill 2, Bioshock

I don't get why Halo is on the list, ive seen better and more orignial plot lines from the Scifi Channel

I have a tie betwen final fantasy 7 or 8 i love em both

The Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver series
Mass Effect
Metal Gear Solid

I put them in order of epic.

You're right, Majora's Mask was awesome! Gave me chills!

I was tempted to say Metal Gear Solid storylines, but they are overwritten, so in it's stead im going to say the storyline of Prince Arthas Menethil. Warcraft III was released ten years ago, and the storyline has only just been concluded this past week.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked