Best game Storyline Ever.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

SnootyEnglishman:
I would like to put up Bioshock for this award

No thanks, System Shock 2 had the exact same story yet yet executed the details much better.

They only better thing Bioshock did storywise was that Andrew Ryan was a better false antagonist than Xerxes and the mind control twist.

SS2 did it better, the two examples that come
SHODAN was a better character than Fontaine (Though they both had god complexes, SHODAN let you know you needed her to survive, whereas Fontaine lost all his power over you after the reveal)
The Many were actuslly sympathetic, whereas the splicers were just victims of their own stupidity

I'm going to go with Silent Hill 2, you could study that story for a class

KOTOR, for the simple reason I found myself getting very wrapped up in it and genuinely cared about the characters and what happened next.

Special mention goes to ME1 & ME2 purely for how complete the universe was.

The Metal Gear Solid series. =]

bioshock nuff said

Fallout 3 and Prince of Persia: Sands of time get my vote.

[quote="CrysisMcGee" post="9.173938.4880072"]For me, the best Storyline ever is Planescape: Torment. It was a nice difference from all the other RPG's, and it is an incredible experience.

quote]

yeah im agreeing with this one

Story mode for Heero Yui in Dynasty Warriors Gundam. that or Super Paper Mario

Bioshock.
And hopefully Bioshock 2.

LocoRoco! XD

I liked Crisis Core FFVII, since it gave background and set up for the game it prequeled, the characters were lovable, and the story was...the thing that truly kept me going.

Anything from warhammer & mass effect/dragon age.

dbrose:
I would have to nominate the Legend of Dragoon for this, although the Mass Effect series comes in a pretty close second.

seconding Legend of Dragoon, totally worth playing through the 4 discs.

also the Prince of Persia series, excluding the 4th

Trivun:
Halo. It's not just another generic space shooter, and the backstory is one of the most immense out there, not counting things like Star Wars and Warhammer that take backstory to obscene levels...

Halo definitely has one of the best stories I've seen in a game for a long time.

Epic Ninja'd.

especially the Star wars thing.

Fine, I'll be the first to say it: SHENMUE.

Forget the fact that its production was cancelled ten years ago and that the only relatively decent english VA was Ren's; It doesn't take continuing the series to notice that not only are we to have expected something of massive proportions to unfold within the story, but the pieces within the nooks and crannies of the individual games' stories coupled with the presentational quality (for its time), I find myself to this day still getting goosebumps when watching the ending to the first one.

And this is coming from a man who was upwards of five years late to recognizing it beyond the first commercial of that guy in the mental asylum.

Amongst the Zelda series (my favorite series) I find LA to be one of the best to this day. There were 3D games where Link wasn't as shelled out as a character as in this game, and it was also the first game where he had a truly noticeable, for the series, deep relationship with another character (Maron). WW also had a good moral to its story.

My favorite God of War (another favorite series) story is definitely Chains of Olympus. Short as the game was, they did a good job of showing another layer of Kratos, as well as just how he really was during the years of servitude. That brief dream sequence espeically, and of course how crushed he was when he had to make the ultimate decision to save mankind.

I'd bring up Metal Gear Solid (my other other favorite), but it seems like enough people have already. I'll only say that I was with MGS for a while and any game I never played, I memorized until my memory was practically encyclopedic. Peace Walker looks like it's also going to have quite the dramatic story to it as well. On another note MGS3 is amongst my favorite endings to a game ever.

Skies Of Arcadia. It's the anti Final Fantasy because it's cheery. The story is full of twists and turns and lovable characters who actually change and grow in the story. It does all of this without being an angst fest like many Final Fantasy games.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem AND Odin Sphere, both of these games are perfect examples of how to write a multi character "Rashomon" style plot. Both games take a varied cast of characters and juxtapose them against each other to tell amazing stories. They're both very differend games, with Eternal Darkness being a mindscrew survival horror and Odin Sphere being a How do we save the world from disaster action RPG. But they're strength is their stories. Plus, they're fun to play.

The Legacy of Kain series is awesome. They had 5 games, multiple cliffhangers from executive meddling, and a plot thicker than pea soup if you didn't have a guide or a very good memory. However, they made that into a cohesive whole that ENDS with Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2. Despite the fact that Blood Omen 2 is the weakest of the series, it IS the sequel to Defiance.

Okami I'll second, as well as Bioshock. Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3 are the best stories to me. MGS 2 kinda falls apart at the end, getting a little too postmodern (My response to the end of MGS 2 was to say What the BLEEP!? Snake are you feeling alright? Let me check for a fever.) MGS 4 had a good story, it just needed an editor to cut about 10 hours of the cut scenes out. Minimum.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor should be used as the principal example of how to make a silent protagonist game. On top of having a great and engaging story, you feel like you ARE the main character, instead of just controlling some green clad kid who can't say no to a favor. Not to mention that your choices affect the endgame in very significant and palpable ways by the middle of the game and determine which ending you get. (BTW: Honorable mention for Twilight Princess, it's story isn't one of my favorites, but it's still good.)

The World Ends With You has a great plot too. "How to use amnesia without it being cliched" "How to develop a character." "How to keep the player guessing until the final reveal, upon which they will scream WHAT THE HELL too. (In a good way.)"

I can't really choose one of these games to be the best of all of them. They're all fantastic in their own way and I recommend them all.

Hariman

PS: Final Fantasy X had a good story in there, I'll give it that. Unfortunately, it was buried under bad dialog, (The laughter, *Shudders*) idiotic characters ("Final Summon" used in a sentence like that would have made me ask: "Will this kill you?") with names that made me want to smack the localization team (Fozzy says: Wakka Wakka, so does Pac Man.), characters design from the cliche ridden shallow end of the story pool (Lulu probably takes a half an hour to pee, or she flips the dress over her head.) and not so random random encounters.

PPS: Dragon Age: Origins is chock full of good story too.

PPPS: Sorry for the wall of text. If you made it here, Skies of Arcadia, Eternal Darkness and Legacy of Kain (Full Series) are my top picks. Still can't choose a single one though.

oppp7:
I guess... Warcraft 3? I liked how the bad guys from Warcraft 2 were turned into antiheroes.

ooh this.
if you include the frozen throne with it

AcacianLeaves:

elemenetal150:
the legacy of kain series has an amazing story (to bad they are likely to never finish it).

Sephychu:

This brings a tear to my eye. That series was one of the few to use time travel to convincing effect. The irritating thing is that Defiance ended on such a cliffhanger!

No it didn't...

It's a cyclical storyline. I thought that entire series of games had some of the best writing out there (with some of the biggest plot holes), but I never felt it was unfinished.

Blood Omen leads into Blood Omen 2
Soul Reaver leads into Soul Reaver 2
Defiance leads into Blood Omen and Blood Omen 2.

you may want to go back and play through them again man, while events that happen in the original blood omen only happen because events that take place in the other games defiance does not leave off with anything being the way it was at the beginning of blood omen. There is most definitely a huge plot hole at the end of the story if it does feed back into the first game then it is not done very well and there is a lot that can be done with the events that were taking place at the end of defiance

Also the only reason there wasn't another game is because the lead writer died and the company felt that none of the writers they had could tie the game series up in a way that would do him respect

The entire Half Life world story, Portal included. It's not too in-your-face, if you just want a game, it can be that. But it has enough story to please those who do love a good one, and it really draws you in and keeps you thinking about what's coming next. It doesn't feel like they're trying to shove it down your throat like the honorable mentions did, and it's just good. (I also enjoy what snippets of a story Left 4 Dead has, but it's too vague to be anything.)

Honorable mention goes to Bioshock, but it was just a it too much for my liking. Final Fantasy has that same problem, the one that came closest to good was FFX-2, and that was only for the Crimson Squad line. The rest of it could be trashed for all I care. FFX was semi-decent, but the characters ruined it.

Void(null):

SnootyEnglishman:

I think BioShock is in league with Max Payne. While they told the story amazingly well, the subject matter was rather basic. Presentation: A+, Plot: B.

Silent Hill 1 & 2 I believe have unmatched story's in terms of depth, detail and atmosphere. While the game mechanics do not really add to the immersion, the atmosphere of the game world makes the story feel far more dangerous and vivid. Presentation B: Plot: A+

After both Silent Hill games, I felt like I needed therapy.

Really, i thought Bioshocks story was great in eveery way, it touches on alot of things, you know like are you a man or a slave, is it right to play god, could a society really work without a government?

TEAM FORTRESS 2!!!!! wait thats not really a story more amusing little asides.
I'm gonna have to say bioshock because all the charecters had a backstory and the genral plot is very very good.
Welcome to rapture

Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals. But then, you probably could have guessed that from my profile pic. I love the characters, and despite the magic involved, I couldn't find a single plothole. Not one. I'm anal about those things. And it had the only plotwist I failed to predict. I didn't see it coming at all. But it was the sort of twist that wasn't just thrown in; it made many different previous mysteries make sense. The ending was bloody amazing. I was on the edge of my chair. Pretty good, considering that it's a JRPG, which is a genre not exactly known for that sort of thing.

Mass Effect has a great story, so I put it up...
Also, I'd say Breath of Fire 2.

PS:T was good in story, it just bored the **** outta me gameplaywise....also, Half-Life 2 was good, but people overrate it so so much. I guess this makes me a hypocrite for always touting Bioware games though. Oh well, I stand by it. Also, FF VIII. That's 8!, not 7

Sonic, fat man steals forest animals, run fast to rescue them. Epic.

On topic i am a sucker for the Gears of War story. I don't know why.

Said it time and time again, no game has ever beaten Final Fantasy 10 in terms of anything. Fucking epic story, characters, music, intro, ending, graphics (for it's time), everything.

It's the only game that made me almost shed a manly tear, the real "I hate you dad" scene and the Dream's End after you defeat Jecht almost got me. Jecht is too awesome to die, damn it! The game constantly explored the connections between the characters in a real meaningful way, eg Tidus's feelings toward Jecht further explained in the segment where you learn the Jecht Shot.

Best story ever.

Doom. Run around, shoot demons, perfect

So, FFX as the best gaming storyline, eh?

What character did you most identify with? The brainless glad-hand jock tween whose entire motivation was "daddy didn't love me enough!"? The overly submissive Japanese lolita fantasy with a severe case of 'useless damsel in distress syndrome' (despite clearly being the most powerful character)? The other, overly cheery Japanese lolita fantasy? The ridiculously goth life support system for a giant set of boobs? The furry Chewbacca wannabe? If you even mention Wakka I will stab you in the jaw with a summoning rod. Auron was the only well written character in the whole game (and he was actually very well written).

That would all be forgivable if the main villain wasn't one of the lamest characters ever to be rendered on my screen. Seymour Guado. Just typing his name makes my ass itch.

In case you didn't notice, I don't much care for FFX.

Pretty much every gta game has a fun story line.

the legacy of kain series has an amazing story (to bad they are likely to never finish it).

That's my answer. I used to walk my high-school hallways pondering that plot, completely immersed in it even though i wasn't playing. Doubt i'll ever do something like that again.

SnootyEnglishman:

Your nomination is seconded.

Jade Empire.

The backstory was very interesting, but the twist in the main plot was one that I never saw coming, and then looking back over the game realised how obvious it all was. That my friends, is good story telling.

For me its either FFX, Mass effect, or the Persona series.

Sonic Adventure 2!!!

.... nah just kidding

Okay not THE BEST EVAR. But I quite enjoy reading the immence backgrounds of all the Tekken charcaters especially how many of them intertwine with each other.

EClaris:

SnootyEnglishman:

No thanks, System Shock 2 had the exact same story yet yet executed the details much better.

They only better thing Bioshock did storywise was that Andrew Ryan was a better false antagonist than Xerxes and the mind control twist.

SS2 did it better, the two examples that come
SHODAN was a better character than Fontaine (Though they both had god complexes, SHODAN let you know you needed her to survive, whereas Fontaine lost all his power over you after the reveal)
The Many were actuslly sympathetic, whereas the splicers were just victims of their own stupidity

I'm going to go with Silent Hill 2, you could study that story for a class

I would have to agree. Though Bioshock's story is very good, I still like System Shock 2's story better.

prince of persia.

NO IDIOT! not that one. The Sands of Time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked