StarCraft II Beta Forum Somewhat Online?

It seems like Blizzard has half-assed aired a StarCraft II Beta forum.

http://forums.battle.net/index.html?sid=5010

Anyhow, this and the fact that there is an upcoming conference call broadcast over the Internet by Activision and Blizzard could imply that the beta will be out soon.

Link to source: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=111916
Link to source: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=110465

Hope it's real this time.

I sure do hope aswell, that game is going to rock. I hope I get a SC2 invite, I've played quite a few Blizzard games.

I hope the beta's out. Starcraft 2 has had a worse development cycle than any other game I can think of (aside from Ghost and DNF).

oppp7:
I hope the beta's out. Starcraft 2 has had a worse development cycle than any other game I can think of (aside from Ghost and DNF).

Don't forget Diablo 3...

That being said, Blizzard development on actual games is generally a bit slow these years since most of their resources goes to ejaculating more repetitive WoW content

Jandau:

oppp7:

Don't forget Diablo 3...

That being said, Blizzard development on actual games is generally a bit slow these years since most of their resources goes to ejaculating more repetitive WoW content

Blizzard's development has always been glacial. WoW itself was in development for five years.

The teams that work on SC2, D3, WoW, and their other game are all completely separate. Hell, they have completely separate office buildings.

On-topic: I'm excited, honestly. There's quite a bit of evidence suggesting that we'll get an announcement of some kind tomorrow... but we've been burned before.

Sweet, I hope I get picked for the beta. Been waiting for this for a long time.

John Funk:

Jandau:

oppp7:

Don't forget Diablo 3...

Blizzard's development has always been glacial. WoW itself was in development for five years.

The teams that work on SC2, D3, WoW, and their other game are all completely separate. Hell, they have completely separate office buildings.

On-topic: I'm excited, honestly. There's quite a bit of evidence suggesting that we'll get an announcement of some kind tomorrow... but we've been burned before.

MMOs always take a long time to develop. As for separate teams, I am aware of that, but resources can still be unevenly distributed. Lower funding, fewer developers, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to SC2, since RTS games are something of a dying breed lately and the C&C franchise is going to hell. It's just that I don't see what's taking so long and the only reasonable explanation is that they have limited resources to throw into development and that the SC2 and D3 teams are understaffed and poorly funded.

Jandau:

John Funk:

Jandau:

oppp7:

Don't forget Diablo 3...

MMOs always take a long time to develop. As for separate teams, I am aware of that, but resources can still be unevenly distributed. Lower funding, fewer developers, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to SC2, since RTS games are something of a dying breed lately and the C&C franchise is going to hell. It's just that I don't see what's taking so long and the only reasonable explanation is that they have limited resources to throw into development and that the SC2 and D3 teams are understaffed and poorly funded.

What's taking so long is Blizzard's notorious perfectionism at work (and from what I've seen, the SC2 and D3 teams are anything but understaffed and poorly funded... I don't know if it's even possible for a Blizzard game to be anything close to "poorly funded" at this point) - honestly, the game was already awesome when I played it at BlizzCon. They could have shipped it to rave reviews. But they've pretty much just been doing balance test after balance test, they've been waiting on the new Battle.net (that was the main thing), because they know that if it comes out and it's not as perfect for competitive play as the first one is, people will just ... stick with SC1.

It's cold feet, honestly. I don't blame them.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked