23.2% (83)
23.2% (83)
Vanguard
24.1% (86)
24.1% (86)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Mass effect 2: Best class?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I'm starting a new game as a paragon and I'd prefer to play as an adept but I don't want the hassle of going through the long intro to find that I don't like it.

Which class should I pick or which is the one you think is the best?

Soldier!!!

If I wanted to play a sissy tech, biotic or worse a halfbreed.Then I would be suicidal?

From my experience playing the first game, and what I've seen of the sequel, Adept seems the most fun. But that's just me.

Can't wait to get this game.

There is no "Best" class

It all depends on how you want to play.

For instance, I enjoy sniping and being able to use stealth to get to key defense points, and I enjoyed the idea of Hacking AI, so Infiltrator was for me.

Pick a class based on what you like.

Vanguard all the way. You get most of the benefits of being a soldier, plus a basket full of biotic tricks you can pull. Make your bonus talent Barrier and you'll be set for life.

Sentinel, a jack of all trades with kick ass, shield restoring tech armor.

I personaly like using the infiltrator class because of my love of the sniper rifle. An upgraded sniper rifle with the Infilrtator's skills can take out the majority of enemies with one shot, even shielded ones if you aim for the head. Although you don't get access to the Assault rifle, which would have been useful in some situations as the SMG was relativley useless.

There's a class for whatever style of combat your most comfertable with. Up closs and personal, using special powers, filling the air with bullets, or carefully and methodically taking enemies out from a distance.

For adepts are pistols enough to defend yourself coupled with biotics or will you have to rely on squad mated alot?

In the first game no matter what class I was... I just used guns but in the second game I was at war between vanguard and soldier..... At first soldier is supreme because you can use sniper rifles and assult rifles, but vanguards can't. Soldier boosted even more when you can just use your allies abilities. (if you can see it then they hit it) but vanguards have charge. It changed when vanguards "can" learn how to use sniper rifles and already know how to use sub machine guns. Add slam, pull, and shockwave and vanguard wins.... but only on the second game and on the second playthrough.

Ooddude:
I'm starting a new game as a paragon and I'd prefer to play as an adept but I don't want the hassle of going through the long intro to find that I don't like it.

I'd say infiltrator, because you have the invisibility trait which in it's higher level gives you a massive bonus boost to your damage, In addition to giving you a free save button in case you health is nearly gone, as enemies stop shooting at you when you use it. It also gives you the sniper rifle which is a great way to destroy more powerful targets.

I really don't use any other classes because they all seem to have a flaws that make them kinda useless, but that is my own opinion

Soldier: good for combat, but lacks any specialization that leads the battle to be mismatched

Vanguard: Charge skill great TKO for one enemy but in situations where there are more enemies around you effectively jump into a hornet's nest without an easy way out.

The other classes do have some awesome abilities, but they lack any heavier weapons that is a shot in the kneecap considering that ME2 is still a shooter and not having any big guns leaves you in a pickle when a geth prime or Harbinger starts coming at you.

Generally, use the abilities to complement your combat, but don't rely on them.

I'm a Vanguard and it's a blast.
I can't speak for the other classes, but they all have different uses.

soldier, because there don't seem to be too many biotic enemies in the game, plus the fact that samara and jack are so powerful all you need to do is bring the firepower

Vanguard!
Charge+Shotgun= Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
(Then, if surrounded by enemies like a hoard of husks, Shockwave fills the air with glowing blue body bits.)

Infiltrator. They get to go in slow motion when they are sniping. How cool is that?

Ooddude:

I can only speak for myself, but Vanguard has got to be the coolest class in the game. Their charge ability is more useful than I can hope to describe-- you can basically teleport to any enemy within your sight. It's fantastic for jumping out of a bad spot outside of cover directly to an enemy who is already behind cover. Not to mention the fact that you are tackling the shit out of the enemy, which sends them flying away in a very satisfying manner (especially if they're already affected by Pull). Even enemies who have armor or shields are usually stunned when you charge them, meaning you can stop nearly any enemy from charging, give them an up-close-and-personal shotgun blast, then safely duck back behind cover while they're still disoriented.

Soldier, because I love using the sniper from the back, moving up with the LMG, and then finishing them off with the shotgun

Wakizashi74:
Infiltrator. They get to go in slow motion when they are sniping. How cool is that?

The Soldier can do that with anything

A tough one. It's a three-way tie between Soldier, Infiltrator and Sentinel.

The best thing about Mass Effect 2 is now there is no distinct "best" class, just "the one you like the most"

I had the most fun with Vanguard (seriously, biotic charge just makes you feel so awesome), Adept (singularity, pull, throw, warp - perfect), Sentinel (Tech Armor), and Soldier (slowmo!)

I did not like infiltrator, though sniper passive slowmotion zoom is pretty awesome.

I haven't had time with the Engineer yet. I'm gonna assume their tech abilities are unmatched.

Cody211282:

Wakizashi74:

Oh, really? I've yet to try a soldier. They always seem too generic to me.

I used the Sentinel to play through, because A) the tech armor saved my ass numerous times, especially against hordes of husks that surrounded me, and B) It's the only character with access to both Warp and Overload, meaning it can provide good power offense against all three protection types (shields, armor and biotic barriers). Pair that up with Grunt's brute fighting abilities (see also: big ass Krogan shotgun) and Legion's sniping and AI hacks, and you've got a winning team.

Vanguards are indeed awesome. It got to the point late in the game where I barely even fired my guns at things, I would just be using my telekinetic abilities to fling everyone about and then having my squadmates use their skills to complement them (Pull Field literally kills husks just by hitting them and it recharges so fast, it's hilarious!).

Charge works best if you know precisely where all the other enemies are and can get into the correct side of whatever cover you've warped yourself to before they open fire. The evolved version can give you some extra breathing room by slowing things down once you impact.

I can't help but keep going back to the Infiltrator. Tac Cloak, Incinerate, Sniper-Slowdown and two kinds of ammo :3

I hear the Soldier would be a decent alternative, but I loves me my Infiltrator.

Cooler name too. More Special Ops feel to it.

Wakizashi74:

Cody211282:

Wakizashi74:

Oh, really? I've yet to try a soldier. They always seem too generic to me.

Adrenaline Rush Lets you do it, its rather nice. I'm playing though on insanity right now and being able to swap to any weapon I want is rather nice to have. That and I love my ARs.

Well all i have played so far is adept and i love it so much! I would say adept is the best because when you have a 1 second cd on your pull you can keep everything cc'd for very long times

Well it all comes down to what your personal preference is when ti comes to combat. I like playing as the Engineer, since they are very reliant on their abilities to shift the tide of the battle. Plus the combat drone is awesome. It's such a useful distraction, and it screws up the AI of certain enemies, like Scions and Praetorians. AI hacking is also great because you can get the enemies to kill each other. I plan on combing that with dominate as soon I get the opportunity. Then I can just get every enemy to kill themselves.

Vanguard. I was sold the moment I saw that Biotic Charge. Combined with Pull its pure awesome.

Cody211282:

Wakizashi74:

Initiates cooldown though.

You can combine the effects of the slowdown with another power like Incinerate or Tactical Cloak with an Infiltrator. You can also use the slowdown effect as many times as you need to. Where as Adrenaline rush has a cooldown. Anyway: Tier list!(Personal Opinion only)

Top Tier: Infiltrator and Sentinel

Good Tier: Soldier and Engineer(Surprised me too. Try combining Engineers or Infiltrator AI hacking with Domination. It's fun <3)

Bad Tier: Vanguard and Adept(This makes me sad. Adept was my favorite class in ME1. Now their only usable power is given to any class.)

I agree with the fact there is is NO 'best' class; just how you like to play.

If you like the adept from ME1, then you'll absolutely LOVE adept from ME2 (I did). I've done 2 playthroughs with an adept like a peach. Loved every combat with them. You just dominate the battlefield (but NOT OP. If you make a mistake you're dead in seconds). So it takes a bit of 'skill', like tech classes.
With powers like shockwave, you just obliterate any enemy in sight, and with things like heavy warp, its a 1 hit kill.

I really liked the look of Infiltrator & Engineer.. I tried with them, but found it too hard/too boring. I could barely make it through the intro level (Cerebrus base).
I'm going to start a 3rd playthrough soon with another class. Maybe Vanguard..
I'll let you know.

But so far, Adept is my personal best by far.

VioletZer0:

Cody211282:

Wakizashi74:

You can combine the effects of the slowdown with another power like Incinerate or Tactical Cloak with an Infiltrator. You can also use the slowdown effect as many times as you need to. Where as Adrenaline rush has a cooldown.

The cloak is so helpful on Insanity, when it takes, what, two bullets to take your shield down. You just can't switch cover almost at all without using it (well, you can but you die). Not to mention how hard it is to take well aimed shots without being untouchable, even if only few seconds.

Funny how pointless the skill was on normal.

Ooddude:
For adepts are pistols enough to defend yourself coupled with biotics or will you have to rely on squad mated alot?

Mate, as an adept past level 10, I didn't shoot my pistol ONCE through until the credits. The only gun I ever fired instead were Heavy Weapons.
That's why I love adepts- I'm not a shooter fan & am crap with guns. Adepts are so far from what I've played, the best class at taking out enemies without worry. Heavy Warp is a 1 hit kill, Heavy/Improved Shockwave knocks every enemy in sight to hell. (another 1 hit kill if you're in open areas). Singularity CCs multiple enemies for a long time if you're in a tight spot. (alternatively, just shockwave them again). I know it's boring, but when surrounded by a radar full of red, I found that if you just spam shockwave, every single enemy will be dead within 3-4 shockwaves. Again, not tactical, but a life saver.

kampori:

Ooddude:

Mate, as an adept past level 10, I didn't shoot my pistol ONCE through until the credits. The only gun I ever fired instead were Heavy Weapons.
That's why I love adepts- I'm not a shooter fan & am crap with guns. Adepts are so far from what I've played, the best class at taking out enemies without worry. Heavy Warp is a 1 hit kill, Heavy/Improved Shockwave knocks every enemy in sight to hell. (another 1 hit kill if you're in open areas). Singularity CCs multiple enemies for a long time if you're in a tight spot. (alternatively, just shockwave them again). I know it's boring, but when surrounded by a radar full of red, I found that if you just spam shockwave, every single enemy will be dead within 3-4 shockwaves. Again, not tactical, but a life saver.

I also noticed that Wide Singularity is a perfect "trap", if you catch a group together and then use heavy warp, they are not surviving.

Adept is not a hard class to master, once you figure out the perfect combinations of biotic powers. When you do, you will not ever fire a shot once.

I also used singularity way more than shockwave, it just wasn't practical enough on higher difficulties.

VioletZer0:

Cody211282:

Wakizashi74:

You can combine the effects of the slowdown with another power like Incinerate or Tactical Cloak with an Infiltrator. You can also use the slowdown effect as many times as you need to. Where as Adrenaline rush has a cooldown. Anyway: Tier list!(Personal Opinion only)

Top Tier: Infiltrator and Sentinel

Good Tier: Soldier and Engineer(Surprised me too. Try combining Engineers or Infiltrator AI hacking with Domination. It's fun <3)

Bad Tier: Vanguard and Adept(This makes me sad. Adept was my favorite class in ME1. Now their only usable power is given to any class.)

eh the 3 second cooldown is nothing, And I would much rather have a crapton of guns with me then just sidearms and a sniper

You can have other powers active while using it. You can also use it while something else is cooling down.

On top of sidearms, you have incinerate, tactical cloak(<3) and SMGs. The Tempest SMG actually has better DPS than the M8 Avenger Assault Rifle.

There really is no "best" class, and even if there was, there's no guarrantee you'll like it.

Besides, difficulty matters too - at higher difficulties, most of the organics will have armor and/or barriers on top of health, making biotics (except Warp, but that can only do so much damage) useless until you get rid of them. I'm glad i didn't start an adept on hardcore.

So far though, played 3 classes. Soldier seems like the best all-around class (and slow time rocks), vanguard is fun but just too risky (especially for higher difficulties), and infiltrator has some amazing damage-dealing potential but your other weapons are relatively weak and the sniper doesn't have many bullets.

On your second playthrough however, you should have access to your allies' special skills from the very beginning, and with that, Reave and Warp Ammo pretty much fill the gap for any class.

Nice poll results. Unsurprising, since the engineer's class skill is given to 2 of your companions (while other class skills can only be experienced by playing that class). Then again, i'm liking the idea of a 3-drone team.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked