360 controller for Steam?

I just got Mw2 for the PC and i want to use wired 360 controller with it. I've goggled how to use controllers with steam but what i found dose not seem to work with the mw2 multilayer. i have the drivers for the controller to be used with windows and i use it will Fallout 3, but I'm at a loss as to how to set it up.

Dose anyone know how? and is there a MW2 user group on here?

Steam has nothing to do with the control system of a game. As long as you have up to date drivers and the game supports that controller (provided they support controllers at all) you shouldn't have a problem.

MW2 doesn't have controller support as far as I know.

markstit:
I just got Mw2 for the PC and i want to use wired 360 controller with it. I've goggled how to use controllers with steam but what i found dose not seem to work with the mw2 multilayer. i have the drivers for the controller to be used with windows and i use it will Fallout 3, but I'm at a loss as to how to set it up.

Ummm I can only think of maybe using a 3rd party program to do the mapping for you??

Only thing I can think off top of my head is pinnacle game profiler... but it requires $$ though, but im sure you can find a free alternative.

off topic:

also do you have a 360 aswell?

Im wondering cause if you have the controller set up for your xbox and you PC, does it get annoying when you turn on your controller for your PC and your xbox turns on. Or when you set up the controller for you PC does it un-set itself from the xbox (like it does if you take your controller to a friends place and connect it with thier xbox)

If the game doesn't support the controller itself (some do, and some don't; no idea about MW2), you can use something like Xpadder or joy2key to map the controller buttons/sticks to the keyboard/mouse controls. As has already been said, Steam itself has nothing to do with it. It's the individual game itself.

There are quite a few free programs that map the controls manually. These can be useful, but they require much tinkering.

Your comp probably isn't up to the current code therefore it may not be able to support your controller.

I was hopeing that you would have the answer, as I want to do it for TF2

A better question is "Why would you want to use a control pad in a fps without auto-aim?"

Hopeless Bastard:
A better question is "Why would you want to use a control pad in a fps without auto-aim?"

I was wondering more along the lines of "Why would you want to use a control pad in any FPS on a PC?" but I've learned not to question such things. I <3 me my 360 controller for certain kinds of games while not understanding why people use it for others, but that's their business, I guess. I mean, I've seen people asking how to use a controller to play an RTS, which boggles my mind, but on the other hand, I used to use a GameCube controller to control my MP3 player. Heh.

How long have you been gaming on PCs for?

Steam will have nothing to do with it - its up to the game developers whether their games support a gamepad or not. I can't see why MW2 wouldn't support a 360 pad (but maybe it doesn't).

cpt blackamar:
I was hopeing that you would have the answer, as I want to do it for TF2

If you really want to, open the console ( with the ~ key, make sure it's bound under options > keyboard > advanced > enable developer console checked)

and type in "exec 360controller"
to undo it, type in "exec undo360controller"

As for the OP, I don't own modern warfare 2, so I don't know.

Nalgas D. Lemur:

Hopeless Bastard:

I was wondering more along the lines of "Why would you want to use a control pad in any FPS on a PC?" but I've learned not to question such things. I <3 me my 360 controller for certain kinds of games while not understanding why people use it for others, but that's their business, I guess. I mean, I've seen people asking how to use a controller to play an RTS, which boggles my mind, but on the other hand, I used to use a GameCube controller to control my MP3 player. Heh.

Personal preference is all well and good, but the only sort of logic I can imagine in this situation is, "I'm not doing so well in the PC version of this game. I did pretty well in the console version, though. Perhaps these "mouse" and "keyboard" things are to blame. Perhaps If I plugged my console controller into my PC I would see better results!" Which is understandable, as no modern console fps admits to the amount of auto-aim required to make console shooters viable in any way, shape, or form.

There may be an option to use a controller in the configuration. There's an offchance it may not support it but I've yet to see a 360/PC game that didn't support the 360 controller.

thanks, I'll try that

markstit:

I'm just nitpicking here, but its spelt "does" for future reference. OT: I dont think that MW2 supports game controllers. I havnt heard of anyone using them before on PC version. It's not Steam's fault, its either the game or your PC.

Get it on Xbox if u want to play using an Xbox controller. It'd save the hassle, thats what I did since i get cramps from using the keyboard too long. I blame HL2 for that.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked