1.1% (2)
Fun Factor
38.2% (71)
38.2% (71)
Gameplay
28% (52)
28% (52)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What is the single most important factor in a video game for you?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Now, we all know that how awesome a game is is not entirely dependent upon one aspect of it, but one thing done horribly can break the experience.

For some, (but thankfully not all) graphics are super, super important, to the point of deciding if they like the game or not based on it's appearance alone.

Controls are also often looked upon with intense scrutiny, which can be understood, as it is your direct link to the game world.

Then again, some people just look at the fun factor as the deciding, well, factor.

What about you? What part of a video game has to be spot on to get your seal of approval?

If you can think of something to add to the poll, just shout it out. ^_^

I can't vote. Because all of them are important to me.

why isn't "Gameplay" an option? :)

TriggerHappyAngel:

Can you define gameplay in a way that doesn't mean controls or fun factor?

If so, then sure, I'll stick it up there.

If I'm not having fun, it's not a good game, if I'm having fun, then it's a good game.

It doesn't matter if the graphics look like shit, the story is a joke, or what have you.

As long as I'm being entertained, then it's a good game. Same goes with film and books. I don't care if the film is cheesy and dumb and the plot makes no sense or whatever, if it's a fun ride, then I don't give a shit.

Honestly OP I can't see where you're going with this.

Aside from people trying to prove their retro credibility by bashing current graphics trends in the game industry most gamers would agree that all of those elements are important.

Furburt:
If I'm not having fun, it's not a good game, if I'm having fun, then it's a good game.

It doesn't matter if the graphics look like shit, the story is a joke, or what have you.

As long as I'm being entertained, then it's a good game. Same goes with film and books. I don't care if the film is cheesy and dumb and the plot makes no sense or whatever, if it's a fun ride, then I don't give a shit.

Yeah, this is about the level of it.
People occasionally forget that games are a part of the leisure/entertainment industry and want to take them apart and analyse them in either part or whole, but as long as a game is fun to play then it is doing what has been asked of it!

All of them are important. All of them have to meet a certain standard for me to enjoy a game.

But I still find gameplay as the most important. Graphics never mattered to me, controls don't decide a game for me unless they're really bad, character design is the least important of anything (It just affects chances of fanart), and if the game has a good story, but isn't fun, I can just watch scenes or find the plot on the net.

gagagagagagaga:

TriggerHappyAngel:

Well, i define "Gameplay" as "what a player has to do in the game" .. Control is how the players controls the game and the Fun Factor is just if the game entertains you or not

Define "fun factor".

Either option is equally important depending on the game, but fundamentally, a game should be fun to play, no matter the genre nor the "quality" of the game.

However, if the game is an RPG or is of a genre where plot development is a key part, the setting and characters (read: story) only benefit from a tight universe in which their reality makes sense.

Decoy Doctorpus:

Aside from people trying to prove their retro credibility by bashing current graphics trends in the game industry most gamers would agree that all of those elements are important.

Oh, I'm just curious as to what most people think the most important aspect is. nothing more or less.

As you yourself infered, retro folks don't tend to worry too much about graphics, but to the contrary, back during my experience in the bit-wars, it was all about graphics, so I think your idea there may be a little skewed.

Is it the same way today? Who knows? that's why I'm asking. ^_^

TriggerHappyAngel:

gagagagagagaga:

TriggerHappyAngel:

Well, i define "Gameplay" as "what a play has to do in the game" .. Control is how the players controls the game and the Fun Factor is just if the game entertains you or not

Oh, so, you mean the actual type of game it is and how it's played?

Ok, fair enough. Gameplay added.

Fun Factor. If I was to play a game that had good graphics, and engaging storyline, but had no fun, I would through it in the trashcan, or give it to my Grandpa.

Hurr Durr Derp:
Define "fun factor".

The level (or factor) of fun involved in playing the game.

Totally the fun factor. If a game is fun regardless of any of the other factors it is a good game to me.

gagagagagagaga:

Decoy Doctorpus:

Oh, I'm just curious as to what most people think the most important aspect is. nothing more or less.

As you yourself infered, retro folks don't tend to worry too much about graphics, but to the contrary, back during my experience in the bit-wars, it was all about graphics, so I think your idea there may be a little skewed.

That is a good point. But what I meant was people trying to prove they are into retro gaming generally beging by stating that they play older games despite the fact the graphics are bad (despite the fact a lot of these old games don't have bad graphics, just old graphics) You have piqued my interest however. Your thread may pass. *waves sceptre*

Decoy Doctorpus:
-snipity-

That is a good point. But what I meant was people trying to prove they are into retro gaming generally beging by stating that they play older games despite the fact the graphics are bad (despite the fact a lot of these old games don't have bad graphics, just old graphics) You have piqued my interest however. Your thread may pass. *waves sceptre*

Hehe, thanks. ^_^

Of course I voted Gameplay, but I must say graphics do play an important part in my enjoyment of a game.
Take my my recent purchase of the first Half-Life. I heard so many good things about the game, I saw it in the store for $5...
It's almost unplayable. The awful models, big empty spaces, horrific textures & bad sound quality just put me too far off it. Now I know it's not the gameplay as I found Half-Life 2 a blast, so I'm going to wait for Black Mesa: Source to play this game.

I'll vote fun factor. Depending on the type of game and what sort of experience I'm looking for, what constitutes that fun factor can change but if I'm not having fun it's not a good game.

As an example, for me a Fun fighting game has tight responsive controls, well created and interesting characters and an appreciable level of depth. Randomness should also be limited.

For a Fun role playing game, however, I'm more interested in memorable characters and a good story. Tight and responsive gameplay elements, as long as they're not total garbage, can take a back seat if everything else in in place.

gagagagagagaga:

TriggerHappyAngel:

gagagagagagaga:

TriggerHappyAngel:

Well, i define "Gameplay" as "what a player has to do in the game" .. Control is how the players controls the game and the Fun Factor is just if the game entertains you or not

Oh, so, you mean the actual type of game it is and how it's played?

Ok, fair enough. Gameplay added.

Thank you kind Sir :)

Fun.
I don't care how stupid it is, how complex or easy the controls are, how shiney it looks. As long as the game is fun. It's a good game for me.

I find it hard to look past poor gameplay and controls, but because I could only pick one, it's gameplay. It's essential to have good gameplay, games that have a crap story can be saved by brilliant gameplay.

Without good gameplay,fun factor or controls, excelling graphics and character design would be needless
So I have to go with fun factor

Well, if a game only has one of these things, which is the one thing that can excuse it not having the other things? is that what you mean? (wait, I don't know what I mean)
I think a good story can excuse very many other things, but I had to go for gameplay.
In combination it's the best (good story, good gameplay) but you really can't choose just one of your options. but I'll go for gameplay.

I prefer gameplay followed by controls. I prefer RTS games, followed by rhythm games because when I play them I feel very engaged because I am constantly posed with having to do something or think something out.

Sure, you could say the same things for other genres of games but RTS games and rhythm games is where it really sticks out for me. One of the most interesting features I've seen is the "twist camera" in the Sins of a Solar Empire series.

Gameplay. If the gameplay is the main focus of the game and is something that it does very well, then other, less important factors of the game can be excused, at least up to a point. Games like Painkiller and Left 4 Dead did well to prove that games don't need a good storyline (in some cases, a storyline at all) in order to be widely praised.

God Hand is my main example of this. The gameplay is so much fun that I honestly couldn't care less about the graphics and the basic storyline.

When I read a book I have just the story. Stands the reason I would play a game that has just a good story. All the others are important, and I do play games without a decent story, but I attach the most value to storytelling.

Gameplay.
Well that wasn't hard. Then controls or fun.
Graphics are nice, and I like to have a good story but really it all comes down to gameplay.

Easy way to break a game is to feature turn accaleration.. Who's fucking idea was that.

Here we go again. Gameplay obviously. If the game play is fun then it's a fun game, if the game only has good graphics then it fails, if the game has cool looking characters then it's a shame, If the game only has a good story then it's not a good game.

I wish someone would make one of these threads with out putting game play as an option, then it would be a fair choice and more interesting poll.

Mine is replayability. If I want to replay it, it means it had all the right things. Story, gameplay, length, graphics, audio, etc etc.

I am voting "Fun Factor" 'cos there was no Gameplay button - to be fair though all of them are omportant, just as long as devs can remember that games do (on occasion) need more than spangly graphics.

Nazulu:
Here we go again. Gameplay obviously. If the game play is fun then it's a fun game, if the game only has good graphics then it fails, if the game has cool looking characters then it's a shame, If the game only has a good story then it's not a good game.

I wish someone would make one of these threads with out putting game play as an option, then it would be a fair choice and more interesting poll.

I tried that, actually, but it was asked to be added.

A game does not neccessary have to be fun to be entertaining, it can also be thought-provocative, like this one:

http://armorgames.com/play/4918/the-company-of-myself

or this one:

http://www.molleindustria.org/everydaythesamedream/everydaythesamedream.html

That can also have a value in itself, without either being fun or having very good gameplay.

Fun factor. Thats kinda the point. If i'm not enjoying myself whats the point?

gagagagagagaga:

Nazulu:

I tried that, actually, but it was asked to be added.

Don't wanna sound like the master of polls but you shouldn't have thrown in controls and fun factor. Just keep it as Graphics (atmosphere), Story (immersion), Awesome Characters (very likeable), Options (gives you many things to do) and Size (big game). Ok that's not perfect either but you know what I mean.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked