Poll: What is the single most important factor in a video game for you?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Gameplay. If a game has utterly rubbish gameplay, I'd probably get frustrated a lot and put away the game.

gagagagagagaga:

Hurr Durr Derp:
Define "fun factor".

The level (or factor) of fun involved in playing the game.

But what makes a game 'fun'? Aren't the other options instrumental in creating a fun experience? If a game has a bad story, bad gameplay, bad controls, bad graphics, etc... can is still be considered a fun game? All of the other options (except perhaps gameplay/controls) exist independently of each other, but 'fun' is just a product of all of the others (and then some). If 'fun' was defined in a more narrow way (for example 'a sense of humor') it'd make sense, but the way it is right now it's simply not on the same level as the other options.

Definitely fun factor for me.

Take for example Serious Sam. The graphics are a little dated (talking about original, not the HD version) story is barely there at all, controls could be a lot better (left trigger to jump is jump. What?) and the game play can be pretty limited and repetitious. Despite all of that, it is simply fun to be a single dude with a million rounds of ammo and a million meat targets to shoot. One of my favorite games of all time up there with Doom.

Nazulu:

Don't wanna sound like the master of polls but you shouldn't have thrown in controls and fun factor. Just keep it as Graphics (atmosphere), Story (immersion), Awesome Characters (very likeable), Options (gives you many things to do) and Size (big game). Ok that's not perfect either but you know what I mean.

That is OK then becasue it doesn't make you sound like a master of polls. I agree with your earlier comment about gameplay but other than that I would say that the options up there are better than the ones that you have listed here.

OT:I the game is fun then it is doing what i ask of it. It is the other factors that raise a game above being good to awesome. All the games I like best have great a great story as well.

Least important for me is the graphics. Whiel it is cool to have great graphics and sometimes they make you go "oooooooo" they don't need to be amazing for me to enjoy a game.

I'm going to have to say Story, as that's what makes a truly exceptional game.

All the others can make something decent, but it's the top notch plot which'll keep you playing through the night.
Unfortunately I cant even remember the last game which had a REALLY good storyline.

Controls and gameplay, I dont really care for graphics and story.

Story, closely followed by the "fun-factor", gameplay and controls in more or less that order.
Graphics are the least concern for me. Yes good graphics might enhance a game but without the other four things it doesn't matter.

It needs to be fun, secondly it needs to have good gameplay, and thirdly the storyline :)

Having to pick one is limiting but at gunpoint I'd go with fun factor, except for it to be fun to me it requires something from all the other categories listed.

Errr... I would vote but,
"Just he right amount of jiggly physics", isn't an option...

Modern games which have multiplayer aren't story driven and therefore the story component doesn't play a huge role for me in those games. However, if a Final Fantasy story sucks, which the 13th installment kinda does at the moment, then that will affect my attitude towards that kind of game.

I don't think a game can be fun if the controls govern the difficulty of a game.

If a game has a horrible story attached. I will likely get bored and stop playing it.

For me it's a combination of things, any one of those can ruin a game when the quality of it is low enough. For me what really turns me off a game is a lack of immersion, the game really has to hook you in. With smaller games it's more of the addictive factor alla Tetris but for all games it's the ability to transport you somewhere where you are completely outside of what is going on arround you.

In local multiplayer games this is also important, its about fun factor and engaging the entire number of players into the space of the game. Group immersion lets call it although the best local games engage the players with eachother as well as the game.

It's all about transporting you to a place where you forget about playing a game and can ignore the games flaws if they are not big enough to break this immersive spell. It's hard to define but you know when a game fails to do it, most recently playing Aliens Vs. Preditor as a friends house. I realised after about 1/2 hour that i simply didn't want to play it and it has made no effort to compell me to do so, it's the factor that makes you hang onto the controler or put it down.

Rararaz:

Nazulu:

Don't wanna sound like the master of polls but you shouldn't have thrown in controls and fun factor. Just keep it as Graphics (atmosphere), Story (immersion), Awesome Characters (very likeable), Options (gives you many things to do) and Size (big game). Ok that's not perfect either but you know what I mean.

That is OK then becasue it doesn't make you sound like a master of polls. I agree with your earlier comment about gameplay but other than that I would say that the options up there are better than the ones that you have listed here.

That doesn't really make sense. My first paragraph was why game play should be taken out (which means fun factor and controls because it's almost exactly the same thing) but you don't agree with my example for a poll?

Do you think game play should be taken out or not?

Question: Do I think the game will be fun? If the answer is no, I don't play it.

Well obviously all are important, but if I had to pick one to trump all others, I'm a story-man through and through. Because in the end, that's what you carry away from a game. You know that feeling you have when you played three hours or more on this one game and afterward realize you've just been bouncing around some ones and zeroes and essentially wasted three hours of your life?

To me, story is the redeeming factor. For me the games that made me realize this were the longest journey and its sequel dreamfall. TLJ was unwieldy, but it can be forgiven for being old. Dreamfall's control's were simply, inexcusably bad and the gameplay was nothing to write home about. But at the end of both games, I didn't feel I wasted my time. They gave me great stories and I was in the end happy to have played and finished both.

So yeah, story all the way. Sadly so few games have a *really* good story.

All of these are really important, but if all else fails, the game should at least be fun.

Nazulu:

Rararaz:

Nazulu:

That doesn't really make sense. My first paragraph was why game play should be taken out (which means fun factor and controls because it's almost exactly the same thing) but you don't agree with my example for a poll?

Sorry, what I mean is that gameplay should be out but I feel that the alternative options you suggestes, and the ones they replaced, do not improve the poll. Contols are an aspect of gameplay that can ruin a game but fun factor is a product of the gameplay. Also gameplay is such a wide term that could include the mechanics of a game as well. I would say that the aspects up there already were fine and the ones you suggested replacing them with, size and options, are not as good.

I voted Story. But that ties in with a few up there. A good story is linked to the Fun Factor of a game. Gameplay is a close second.

Can't vote, because there is no such thing as a "single" most importanr factor in video games. A game that does one, two or even five of those things well can still be ruined because it did the rest poorly.

Fun factor.

Why the fuck would I play a game that isn't fun?

Graphics, I don't care about. There are games from 1990 I find more enjoyable then half the shit out today

Character design, while important to story and relation to characters, isn't that important.

Story, at a clost second to fun factor, but if a game lacks in story, but makes up for it with awesome gameplay (IE: Demon's Souls) that's just fine.

I think the story is the most important. Sadly, game-developers doesnt think so.
I remember reading a review of Uncharted 2 and the critic said "Awesome story". If it were a movie you would think that the story was bad, or decent at best.

When youre spending all this money making a game, why dont base it on a GOOD story?

If it isn't fun, then I won't play it.

All dependent on the type of game.

Some are heavily storydriven, and if the story fails to engage me, the game fails. Some are more about quick moves and reactions and as such need a good controls. Others are ther just for laughs, and as such just needs to be funny, for me.

Three things are important to me in gaming.

A good story that may or may not be backed up by ingame codexes(?)
Decent gameplay that is manageable and enjoyable.
A big fun factor to keep me playing rather than having to take breaks from it because it is boring.

Rararaz:

Nazulu:

Rararaz:

Nazulu:

Sorry, what I mean is that gameplay should be out but I feel that the alternative options you suggestes, and the ones they replaced, do not improve the poll. Contols are an aspect of gameplay that can ruin a game but fun factor is a product of the gameplay. Also gameplay is such a wide term that could include the mechanics of a game as well. I would say that the aspects up there already were fine and the ones you suggested replacing them with, size and options, are not as good.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to replace them though, just if he wanted to add more options because it kinda look empty with just Graphics and Story.

I reckon Controls and Fun Factor both effect game play too much to make ém good option, that's it from me.

It's a close one with gameplay and camera. I hate games with terrible OTS camera. Some of them are alright but GoW was horrible.

1) Playability - I can overlook a weak story and graphics if the gameplay makes for a really good multi-players fps.

2) Story - Having a good story and characters is always a plus, look at bioware games :P

3) Graphics - Crysis...I jizzed in my pants and my old graphics card died beacuse of the games graphics haha xD

Fun Factor for me. I've enjoyed games with deep storylines, and games with non whatsoever. I've enjoyed games with 2 colours, or with 200. If I'm not having fun, however, it's not a game. :)

Gameplay.

Fun factor doesnt matter if the gameplay isn't there. a game CAN'T be fun if it doesn't have good gameplay.

Gameplay > Controls > Graphics > Story > Char Design = Fun Factor

I would have to go with gameplay. I like a game with a good story and with good gameplay to support it.

Nazulu:

Fair enough. I didn't mean to replace them though, just if he wanted to add more options because it kinda look empty with just Graphics and Story.

I reckon Controls and Fun Factor both effect game play too much to make ém good option, that's it from me.

That is a fair point, think I agree a bit more when it is put like that. At the end of the day I suppose it depends what criteria you use to define "gameplay".

Well, I enjoy Killing Floor, so that eliminates graphics, story, and character design, though I do appreciate those when they exist.

...I'll go with fun factor. It makes sense, after all.

I like to play games with a good story, I have even endured some gameplay issues in games for the story alone, if it was interesting to me.

I can't vote, they're all too relevant

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked