7.5% (5)
Play ME1
9% (6)
9% (6)
Play it all!
50.7% (34)
50.7% (34)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Should i play through Mass Effect 2 again?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hello everyone. I beat Mass Effect 2 last night, and was shocked by how much I enjoyed it! I've played RPGs in the past, and none were able to hold my interest for long. i don't like orcs, sorcerors, or elves, and grinding to level my stats was never something I found fun. But probably the reason i dislike RPGs the most, is the daunting amount of sub-quests... Which is why I'm surprised, yet again, that I'm wondering what I missed on the first play-through!

I've read that your decisions in ME2 will directly effect how you play ME3. In my game, Somara, Mordin died (i decided to send Tali back with the survivors to protect her). I survived, and i didn't quite get a romance with Tali (i didn't know I could until it was too late, which is a bummer). Overall, I'm pretty happy with how my game went, with the exception of a missed opportunity with Tali. Also, I only play ME1 for about an hour. So now i have a few choices to enjoy more Mass Effect:

Should I:
Play through ME2 again and pick a new path to discover things i missed the 1st time.
Resort to a previous save and woo Tali, and enjoy the sub-missions i missed.
Play ME1 to get my Mass Effect fix.
Do em all!

Any insight would be appreciated!

you can youtube the tali romance. it's pretty weak, you don't get to see her face.

ME1 is really, really good. IMO better than 2.

I had to play through ME1 again before I could start ME2, it was sitting there for 2 days. Now I've lossed my save data again! I'm waiting for ME3 to come closer, get a better computer and effectively go through ME1, ME2, ME3 one after another.

OT: I'd definitely go play it again if you missed some sub-missions for completeness...eh do em all!

Go outside. see the sunlight. meet girls.

D Bones:
you can youtube the tali romance. it's pretty awesome, you don't get to see her face.

Fixed.

You can woo all the romance options in post-game. Just dump your current romance and then head over to your current desired object of affection.

Scrumpmonkey:

Like you're doing right now?

I find the best Mass Effect experience for me is to start from number one all over again. Will keep you entertained for a good 2 weeks. (At least that's how long it takes me to beat both).

I played ME2 5 times in a row when it came out. I haven't played it in a month but just started playing again.

Amnestic:

D Bones:
you can youtube the tali romance. it's pretty awesome, you don't get to see her face.

Fixed.

You can woo all the romance options in post-game. Just dump your current romance and then head over to your current desired object of affection.

ehh, you could if you feel like wasting any more time on ME2...

Amnestic:

Scrumpmonkey:

Hey now, he could be outside on a laptop with hot girls hovering around him.

I saw the Tali romance on youtube... I don't want to do it to watch the romance, just to complete what seems like a fantastic story.

Scrumpmonkey:

Haha. i think my wife would be pissed if I was trying to meet girls.

I dunno.

I'm only playing it again because Tali died during the final mission, and there's some stuff I want to do over for Mass Effect 3.

It's boring as all hell when you already know what's going to happen.

do what you want. ME1 would be an original story, kinda like reading the hobbit after reading the lord of the rings trilogy. You could pick up on some things like the news reports from 2 that didn't quite make sense and understand where they came from

Tali herself is hardly worth playing through the game again. The romances don;t amount to much, at least from what I've seen. But regardless, I think the game is worth playing again. Talk to more characters, make different choices, see the things you missed on your first playthrough.

Though if you have the time I would recommend beating the first Mass Effect before playing again.

tylram:
I saw the Tali romance on youtube... I don't want to do it to watch the romance, just to complete what seems like a fantastic story.

Well none of the romances are required so I would say you have completed the story, regardless of whether or not you romanced someone.

Darkside360:

Amnestic:

Scrumpmonkey:

In which case he's worse than us, because while we're not surrounded by girls (and thus on the Escapist) he would be surrounded by attractive maidens and choosing to spend his time on the internet rather than attending to them.

Darkside360:

Amnestic:

Scrumpmonkey:

Yeah erm... that's exactly what's happening! *sniff* lots of of pretty girls... *sinff* hundreds of them. Excuse me i have something in my eye...

tylram:

Scrumpmonkey:

Hehe, was adding a counter option. in polls like this there is a slight tendacy for the wording to look like these were the only options for life thereafter. It's just something my mind notices from time to time. It's a good option and i think all gaming polls should be forced to have it when i rule the world and you all work in my tiberium mines >: )

It was actually going to read, "Go outside. See the Sunlight. Meet pretty girls. Start a Family. Get an office job. Get dumped for your boss. Toil until retirment. Be resented by the kids. Realise life is devoid of meaning. Wish you had played though Mass Effect"

But that makes me look like a crazy person!

I say you should do a playthrough of ME1. It can't hurt to find out more of the backstory and how Shepherd ended up where s/he is.

ME2 is worthy of a 2nd play through to see some of what you missed and play the game a different way or as a different class. also, considering Bioware happily lets you start off with boat loads of raw resources, you can skip a great deal of the planet scanning and only go when you need too.

Scrumpmonkey:

Says the guy posting on a gaming forum...

tylram:
SNIP

Mass Effect doesn't have many true RPG elements, which is why it is more accessible to everyone and easier to enjoy for straight shooter fans, or just fans of a good story.

I've played through it 3 times, once on Insanity difficulty which was...not fun. At all.

But my normal playthroughs were beyond awesome. Second most loved game this gen after Fallout 3. And I'll do it all over a fourth time in a few months.

Also... welcome to the Escapist, may you enjoy your stay :)

MiracleOfSound:

Scrumpmonkey:

People take me way to seriously.

It was actually going to read, "Go outside. See the Sunlight. Meet pretty girls. Start a Family. Get an office job. Get dumped for your boss. Toil until retirment. Be resented by the kids. Realise life is devoid of meaning. Wish you had played though Mass Effect"

Puts a whole new slant one the thing.

MiracleOfSound:

Scrumpmonkey:

tylram:
SNIP

Mass Effect doesn't have many true RPG elements, which is why it is more accessible to everyone and easier to enjoy for straight shooter fans, or just fans of a good story.

I've played through it 3 times, once on Insanity difficulty which was...not fun. At all.

But my normal playthroughs were beyond awesome. Second most loved game this gen after Fallout 3. And I'll do it all over a fourth time in a few months.

Also... welcome to the Escapist, may you enjoy your stay :)

Thank you! Good info from all of you. Very appreciated.

Scrumpmonkey:

MiracleOfSound:

Scrumpmonkey:

Actually that would have been a lot funnier. You should have posted that.

tylram:

Should I:
Play through ME2 again and pick a new path to discover things i missed the 1st time.
Resort to a previous save and woo Tali, and enjoy the sub-missions i missed.
Play ME1 to get my Mass Effect fix.
Do em all!

Any insight would be appreciated!

I would do em all... but you might try playing through ME before you dive back into ME2. It will give you a new perspective on some of the events that happen in ME2.

And, if you do that, when you play through ME2 again you will notice all kinds of things you may have missed your first playthrough.

Scrumpmonkey:

/threadjack - bad troll is bad /threadjack

on topic: YOu really cant miss many missions unless you dont have access to the Cerberus Network (Collectors ed. or like what? 5$ otherwise?) Everything else is pretty straight forward... FInd new planet... scan it for everything you can... leave planet rinse repeat with intermittent relays to a fuel depot.

Amnestic:

Scrumpmonkey:

MiracleOfSound:

Scrumpmonkey:

Actually that would have been a lot funnier. You should have posted that.

Well it came out in the end and that is the important thing. : )

Play it all sounds good to me... I think I'll take meganmeave's advice and try ME1, before I replay ME2. That way, I'll have a better back story, and the memory of beating ME2 won't be so fresh in my mind.

Point No. 1: The sheer amount of variation in the games makes every subsequent play through HELLA worth it. Go for it, and play ME1 again for good measure.

Point No. 2: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU LISTENING TO US FOR?! WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD TAKE ADVICE FROM AN INTERNET FORUM?!

EqualNOpposite:
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU LISTENING TO US FOR?! WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD TAKE ADVICE FROM AN INTERNET FORUM?!

Depends what the advice is for. Not to mention the internet works great as a tool for convincing you to do something you already wanted to do.

I mean, I'm not going to take the Internet's advice on relationships or owt, but when weighing up one game against another, I can generally suss out an average Plus+Minus for each based on the replies.

Start from the ground up. Go back and play Mass Effect 1 and then 2 again. I know that's what I'm going to do shortly before Mass Effect 3 comes out.
It will be like watching the "original" Star Wars trilogy back to back again.

I'm on my 2nd playthrough now. I first went as a full paragon soldier guy and now I'm going through as a full renegade biotics gal. I don't know if you went full on either side already, but to see the game from the other side is very fulfilling to me. Also, it will likely benefit you quite a bit later on for ME3 to have more than 1 importable character so you can again have two different experiences.

I've been SLIGHTLY tempted to go back and try ME1 again, but for me it's hard to go back and play a game that is (to me) inferior in nearly every way just to get more of a story that I could just read up on on the internet. Let's not forget that the main goal of ME2 was to remove everything that people didn't like about ME1. I think you'd be satisfied with just 2 playthroughs of ME2, or possibly more.

play through again, useing your ME2 character import. you get quite a bit of money and materials that way, keep any armor you might've bought, though you lose any weapon upgrades. you'll keep all your levels so its gives ytou a harder, but more fulfilling playthrough.
I'd go with Tali romance, and try to bring everyone home this time, ok?

I'm having a hard time forcing myself to go for multiple play throughs, but at least I'm seeing the other side of some of the decisions I made, and I sure as hell am going to let some people die this time.

It was too easy to keep everyone!

Scrumpmonkey:

tylram:

Scrumpmonkey:

Hehe, was adding a counter option. in polls like this there is a slight tendacy for the wording to look like these were the only options for life thereafter. It's just something my mind notices from time to time. It's a good option and i think all gaming polls should be forced to have it when i rule the world and you all work in my tiberium mines >: )

...I just realized the mining minigame in ME2 isn't so bad now. Thank you.

I'm going to go back to playing games again.

Go back a replay ME1!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked