Dragon Age difficulty help

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I don't consider myself a particularly skilled gamer, however I usually don't have a problem playing most games. I've never really had a problem mastering most mainstream games of the past few years.
I'm definitely not new to RPGs having played Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Neverwinter Nights 2. In fact I got through the whole of Neverwinter Nights 2 on normal difficulty as a Druid.

But now, I've started playing Dragon Age: Origins (on a fairly casual sort of basis) and got through the intro as a mage on normal difficulty with not too many problems.

However I've reached this point in the game where I have to battle a seemingly endless amount of monsters at Redcliffe (Redcliffe being the first place I chose to go once I had the option). I can't seem to get past it, no matter what I try.

So my question is this: Should I change the difficulty setting down to easy?

I don't particularly want to remove all challenge from the game, but I also want to be able to progress.

Are there other factors to consider? For instance would the fight be easier if I visited another place before Redcliffe?

The fight might be more manageable if I had more potions, but I only have about 10 and I keep running out of mana. Should I have more by this point? I have done some alchemy, but ingredients seem fairly scarce.

Should I try using a mod or a trainer?

Would it help if I visited gamefaqs?

So yeah, I'm open to suggestions.
Has anyone else had any problems or am I just terrible at non-sandbox RPGs?

I've been playing those types of RPG's since Baldurs Gate, and I had to turn it down to easy at a few points.

There is no shame!

If you can't get past a fight, you might as well lower the difficulty. I got stuck pretty early on as well.

I recommend doing the mages tower before redcliffe. Not to spoil any story points, but you gain access to an area that has things you can touch for permanent stat increases (and there are a lot of them, I think like 26 in total). This buffs your character quite a bit.

Also, if you're playing on PC I found a glitch were if you click on one REALLY REALLY fast you get more than one stat bonus from it, but that's kind of cheating :P

If it's just this bit and you don't mind a slight hit to your pride, i would just follow this guide for being invincible through the bit thats troubling you, then turn it off again afterwards.

Guide: http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2009/11/08/dragon-age-origins-codes-and-cheats-pc.htm

Or just keep doing it over and over until you win :)

Hey, nothing wrong with lowering the difficulty, as long as you remember to raise it again afterwards, which I only remembered after flattening a few Drakes on my own...

There have been a few points in the game when I've had to drop the difficulty to get through. That wasn't one of them, though. Believe it or not, I was just about to make a thread on this very subject: the balance of Dragon Age.

Yeah... in the future Bioware should really work on balancing the difficulty a little better. None of this "super-easy, super-easy, super-easy, BOOM! Jump to impossible" shit.

You could always use god mode or any of the other cheats via the dev console.

Forget ALL you know about RPG games - Dragon Age are not like them at all.

If you play on normal, there's a bit of challenge with a twist of easy. So there should be no real problem.

But how I've seen Dragon Age, is that it's annoying as shit to be hindered by some monsters for 15 min. If it's gone that long, you should just put it down to easy. Because the difficulty settings above "easy" require some level of tactic. (for instance, a lot of mobs are controllable with Mass Paralyze or Sleep)
If you got potion troubles, just buy all minor potions whenever you can from merchants. They don't cost much.

PS. It's the zombie horde wave, right? Just stand behind the NPC's or your comrades and you should be fine.
And let the others do some damage.

toriver:
There have been a few points in the game when I've had to drop the difficulty to get through. That wasn't one of them, though. Believe it or not, I was just about to make a thread on this very subject: the balance of Dragon Age.

Yeah... in the future Bioware should really work on balancing the difficulty a little better. None of this "super-easy, super-easy, super-easy, BOOM! Jump to impossible" shit.

i totally agree, i got pounded by that part, like my only deaths in the entire expansion was there

I'm not sure that the battle of redcliffe is possible on any difficulty above easy, it hurt my poor characters, it hurt them real bad. Again and again and again. Similar situation in another Bioware game: NwN2: SoZ: final boss, didn't have anything with negative energy protection, so every attempt ended with me going splat within ten seconds, It can't be fair.

Yeah, just dial it down, no shame at all in it, you are playing it to have fun if it ceases to be fun, why play?

the1ultimate:

Are there other factors to consider? For instance would the fight be easier if I visited another place before Redcliffe?

The only place you could go is the Circle of Magi. The last place you should go is Orzammar

Also at the battle of Redcliff, use 2 tanks(Alistair,Shale) make them use Taunt a lot!!
But after that you only need one tank. When I play Dragon age I use one tank,one mage and two rogues in nightmare difficulty

I find that any particularly tough battles just need a new tactic to usually get by, like luring in monsters one at a time from a group that would normally mob me to death with numbers, or immediately attacking a rival mage to keep them from healing their buddies instead of trying to kill all the grunts first.

But don't feel too bad if you lower the dif for a battle, because my first character, a dwarven slave warrior, got through the whole game with no problems... until the final battles. Then I was wishing I there were more potions/ingredients for potions in the world. When changing strategy didn't work for me, I lowered the dif to normal. I am not ashamed.

My next two characters fared much better because I bought up every potion I could throughout the game.

In your defense, mages seem to be the most difficult and strategy-driven classes, so, don't feel too bad. The mage I'm playing now (my first spell-slinger) spent about 3 minutes running around an ogre while my buddies tried to catch it and wail on it, because it was early in the game and I was out of lyrium potions.

Also, I think it's all the gimped mage hats. I mean, how did the guy who designed those things not get dragged out into the Bioware parking lot and driven over repeatedly for those hideous caps?

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Darktau:
If it's just this bit and you don't mind a slight hit to your pride, i would just follow this guide for being invincible through the bit thats troubling you, then turn it off again afterwards.

Guide: http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2009/11/08/dragon-age-origins-codes-and-cheats-pc.htm

Cheats... Are probably a very last resort. I think based on what most people have said I'll just try lowering the difficulty first.

I really don't want to have to start the town again, so I'll just try to get through this fight and then work on my strategy for future fights.

AC10:
I recommend doing the mages tower before redcliffe. Not to spoil any story points, but you gain access to an area that has things you can touch for permanent stat increases (and there are a lot of them, I think like 26 in total). This buffs your character quite a bit.

Also, if you're playing on PC I found a glitch were if you click on one REALLY REALLY fast you get more than one stat bonus from it, but that's kind of cheating :P

It sounds like Dragon Age: Origins is a bit like Neverwinter Nights in that you should probably be playing with a walkthrough on hand to make sure you take the path the developers intended in order to unlock all the content and ensure you are prepared for some of the sudden plot twists. Sometimes by doing something you would never have thought of doing yourself, and by navigating epileptic dialogue trees... Do you think?

That's what I'll probably do for now though. I'll let you know how I fare on easy difficulty, and if that doesn't work, I've always been in favour of using cheats to enhance your gaming experience, and have fun if the game seems too lacking in that.

Quick question though: Cheats don't "stain" your game like Spore do they? I think if you used cheats in that game your progress would be locked, and you wouldn't be able to use achievements.

My friends all nearly crapped their pants when I said I played through the game on normal the first time through without adjusting it. I chalk this up to A) Playing a Rogue and 2) Being really really persistant. The part in question to which you're referring was the LAST one I did so it wasn't all that tough. The Dalish forest however, was very difficult I probably spent more time in that area than anywhere else in the game because I'd die and keep playing the same battles over and over.

I don't see anything wrong with turning down the difficulty a notch. I don't think I could make it through that game with friendly fire on as a mage.

It's simple, it depends on your build.

As a mage I had to turn it to easy. As a duel wielding warrior, I solod through hard.

Its insane how the difficulty of the game changes depending on how good (or bad) your build is.

I didn't use any guides for my builds, but I figured out eventually what worked best, and funnily enough it ended up nearly exactly the same as most the guides out there.

The trick to Dragon Age is to think of its combat in MMO terms rather than singleplayer terms.

You got yerself a Tank, a Healer, and some DPS with decent crowd control. Focus healing on the tank, who taunts whenever possible in order to draw aggro, while the two DPS target specific enemy and take em down asap while trying to keep as many enemy as possible out of the fight via spells and the like. Best healer is Wynne obviously, but Morrigan can do as well if you train her in the right spells. Meanwhile both Alistair and Shale make good tanks!

When I first started playing I was thinking in Baldur's Gate terms, trying tricks that worked with BG and its D&D ilk, and had the same problems. I kept dying! Then I adjusted my strategies more towards my experience with World of Warcraft rather than BG, and BAM, the game became instantly easier. The mechanics are all there, just like in any typical MMO. Only difference is this time I'm playing all the roles rather than just one.

I'm still trying to decide whether it's a good or a bad thing.

Where you go first won't matter--the areas progress with you. Don't forget to do part management, switching between characters to make sure their attacks are worth it. Spend some time playing with the various tactics settings, maybe making a custom one if that's what it takes, telling the AI how you want to play things out. Use appropriate weapons and spells.

Darkside360:
You could always use god mode or any of the other cheats via the dev console.

Pfft. Cheats are so 16-Bit. It's all about Skillz tm now. Well, Skillztm and HAXtm.

the1ultimate:
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Darktau:

Cheats... Are probably a very last resort. I think based on what most people have said I'll just try lowering the difficulty first.

I really don't want to have to start the town again, so I'll just try to get through this fight and then work on my strategy for future fights.

AC10:

It sounds like Dragon Age: Origins is a bit like Neverwinter Nights in that you should probably be playing with a walkthrough on hand to make sure you take the path the developers intended in order to unlock all the content and ensure you are prepared for some of the sudden plot twists. Sometimes by doing something you would never have thought of doing yourself, and by navigating epileptic dialogue trees... Do you think?

That's what I'll probably do for now though. I'll let you know how I fare on easy difficulty, and if that doesn't work, I've always been in favour of using cheats to enhance your gaming experience, and have fun if the game seems too lacking in that.

Quick question though: Cheats don't "stain" your game like Spore do they? I think if you used cheats in that game your progress would be locked, and you wouldn't be able to use achievements.

Well, my method is really exploiting and thus isn't actually cheating. I don't think cheats stain your game at all but I never used them. I'd recommend walkthroughs for certain parts of the game. For instance, once I got to the part I'm talking about with the touchy stat giving things, I wanted to look up where they all were to make sure I didn't miss one. So I basically just played the game with a checklist by my side. At the end if I missed any I went and found them.

I really feel DA:O shouldn't be played ENTIRELY with a walktrhough, so much of the story and character development is what gripped me. However, at the same time, there is a lot of ways to inadvertantly screw yourself over. On my second playthrough I found a lot of these things by using the dragon age wiki (http://dragonage.wikia.com/). Stuff like if you do this and this and this before this part of the game you don't get access to such and such item. None of it ruins the game, but it can be annoying.

I remember that one.

Do all the little sidequests you can (In the town of course), they help you out in the actual fight (More soldiers, the soldiers fighting better, fire to aid you, etc)

Good, I'm not the only one. I had to turn it down to easy about half a dozen times. I was ashamed.

There are some things you need to consider in tackling the Redcliffe Zombie outbreak.

1. Do you have enough potions ?
-If the answer is no, you can get endless Lyrium from the Mages Tower, endless flasks and reagents from The Dwarves at Camp, and endless elfroots from the Elves at the Brecilian Forest. Go wild, splash that gold around and chase Morrigan's skank-ass off to the kitchen where she belongs to get mixing. She won't make you a sandwich, you're fresh out of bread, but potions are good too.

2. Who have you chosen as your party ?
-Alister is your tank. Sten dies too easily. Mages are heavy hitters. Get them all Cone of Cold and Stonefist and they will go Shatter-crazy. Any time a character inflicts a critical hit on a Cone of Colded enemy they will shatter. Maker bless those instant kills on white name mooks. You believe in the Maker don't you ? Me ? I think the Elves are right about everything.

3. Doing the Mage's Tower first is probably a good call.
Spoilers should be avoided, 'nuff sed.

4. Make sure you have completed all the RedCliffe subquests to give your NPC support the best chance. SPOILER ALERT !!! SPOILER ALERT !!! If you want to read more, this will be posted at the very end.

5. Don't under-estimate the value of team missile attacks.
Rather than going hand-to-hand with the zombies outside the Windmill, equip all your people with missile weapons and let the knights go hand-to-hand. It conserves your resources.

6. Crowd Control is essential
Using Cone of Cold is great. The zombies freeze and become shatter-able, but they also don't move. Keeping enemies immobile is key to winning. All characters have tricks, keep the zombies stun-locked.

7. Concentrate Attacks.
Yellow Name Zombies will fall much easier if the entire party focuses attacks on them. Yes, you need to balance this with crowd control, and crowd control is more important, but concentrating attacks will help a lot.

8. Protect the Troops.
If you have a mage who has healing, it is a good investment to heal NPC militia archers, they are extra meat-shields to soak up punishment that would otherwise be draining your resources, healing them means they will be there landing attacks and keeping you safe.

9. Keep attacks off the Mages.
-Do what you can to stop zombies hitting your mages. Take their attention (steal aggro) by any means possible. Even having one mage steal aggro from another mage is okay if it keeps the zombie out of action rushing across the battlefield.

10. Pause.
-Find the pause button. Use it ruthlessly. Then micromanage or perish.

11. Sorry about stating the Bleeding, Shrieking, Naked Madman in a pinafore obvious !
-Do your characters all have weapons appropriate to their special abilities ? If your warrior is a sword and board man like Alister, make sure he has a single handed weapon and a shield, not a 2 handed weapon, or dual wield. If you don't, they can't use their special abilities, and that is like a mage who can't cast spells. Yes, this is obvious advice only a noob dressed in green, painted green and wearing green horns would need, but I had to slap a friend upside the head for not figuring this one out recently, I doubt it applies to you, but...

POSTSCRIPT:
I hate to say this, but in fact the Redcliffe mission is far from the hardest in the game and isn't really all that difficult. If you are finding it challenging, that is a good thing, enjoy the challenge and persevere. DA:O is all about group tactics, Redcliffe is a bit of a crucible, it will alloy you into a stronger player.

4 cont... BEWARE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
-Completing ALL the sub-quests will net you plenty of experience and improve your chances of success. So go crazy. Bully the kid out of the Green Sword. Bully Chantry bitch into sullen obedience to bless the knights. Bully the bartender and take everything he owns. Bully the elf in the Tavern and draft him into your tin-pot suicide squad. Hire the vile dwarf and his thugs. Booze up the recruits. For Maker's sake get the smith back to work. Tell the knights about the oil in the shop. Every bit helps.

Well, turning it down to easy worked! That fight still seems needlessly long to me. I used all my potions too. Never thought I'd miss the DnD method of preparing spells beforehand.

I don't mind completing a few quests before continuing with the action but usually I get bored first.

It seems like I should have gone to the mages tower first so... Maybe that's my next stop. I'll have to stock up on potions as well.

formless777:
-Definitely Snipped -

That's pretty good advice. Very comrehensive.
I don't really have any choice in party members at the moment though. Only Alistair, Morrigan and the dog.
I did do most of the quests I could find but... I didn't really like bullying people :(. The oil quest didn't help much; my allies kept burning themselves on the fire, and that was only for the first section which was easy enough.
It also looks like I should have picked the freezing spells for my mage. Luckily I leveled up after the battle though, so I'll pick them next. I saw Morrigan using freezing spells, and they do seem pretty effective.

I am pretty used to pause and arrange from playing Neverwinter Nights.

I'm only just beginning to get into the game and intermittently at that, so I hope I'll improve with practice.

Sorry to threadjack, but maybe you DA:O gurus can help me. I beat the game once and was thinking of going through it again. Are the enemies scaled to your level, or is levelling somewhere else a viable strategy?

I discovered a fairly cheap (and unsatisfying) way to do this battle back when I was struggling with it. You can run down with one of your characters and leave the rest of your party with the group of knights at the barricade.

Run down and tag a few zombies and run back up without out running them. Kill them with your party and the knights. Keep doing it until you've won the battle. You'll lose all of the people guarding the temple but it makes it fairly easy.

To be honest, if you go there first it can be very hard. I made that mistake on my first playthrough.

The problem is simple, at this point you don't have a healer in your party. If you visit the Circle of Magi you get Wynne to join your party, who is probably one of the most valuable characters in the whole game. Once I got her I don't think I set up a party without her, I had a pretty powerful mage who had some healing spells, but having someone dedicated to healing is a godsend.

However, you're at the point where you can't backtrack, otherwise Redcliffe will fall to the horde, so I recommend lowering the difficulty, if only for the sake of survival. Also, if you have a save before the attack, load it back up and do everything possible to strengthen the troops, like blessing the army, get the dwarf to join you (he can't die in battle) and getting free booze for everyone (which also makes Lloyd join the fight, even though he's crap), which also has the nice bonus of making everything for sale at the tavern FREE.

Hope this helps.

If your mage has a good AOE spell like fireball, it can be unbelievably helpful in some parts of this battle too. At the beginning they're all tunneled through a small ramp coming in, you can just nuke the crap out of them as they stroll in.

MicCheck1two:
Sorry to threadjack, but maybe you DA:O gurus can help me. I beat the game once and was thinking of going through it again. Are the enemies scaled to your level, or is levelling somewhere else a viable strategy?

Yes, enemies generally meet your level, or are one or two levels above or below. Enemies are ranked in the game, from grunt to elite, grunts are usually below your level, elites usually match or exceed yours by one or two. This is just so the game balances the challenge dependent on your state. So for example, at the end of my first playthrough, I was level 22, so the Archdemon was level 23.

Unlike some RPGs you won't accidentally encounter enemies which are too hard for you at that point, like a lot of monsters in Final Fantasy XIII's Gran Pulse, or encountering a Deathclaw early on in Fallout 3; you'll always have a chance against them, it's just taking the correct strategy.

Edit: There is a point where you're after Adraste's Ashes where you can battle a dragon who watches over the place, it's one of the hardest fights in the game, and it's recommended you're a high level with enough skills to tackle it. Some say it should only be fought when you're ready to fight the Archdemon, but it's worth giving it a go when you're first their, if only to test your mettle. It's a hard fight (I found it harder than the Archdemon), but it's very fun and the spoils are superb.

formless777:
snip

What this guy said. Also, if you run away with all your a long way, probably about half of the enemy's chasing you will give up. Then you turn around and kill the rest. I also had a few problems at that area. It probably isn't the best one to do first, but you can still do it, just takes a little longer.

playing the game at nightmare now... finished at hard before. Redcliffe can be annoying, but it's not THAT difficult. :P

edit: finished on hard with the ROGUE that was broken... fyi

I've been playing those types of RPG's since Baldurs Gate, and I had to turn it down to easy at a few points.

HERETIC.

Nah, just kidding. DA plays like an MMO, not like the usual RPG. That said, get a guy with a shield, and a mage with all the healing tree, the buff tree and the spirit healer class if you want the game to be played properly.

You can do pretty much any of the areas, although Orzammar and the human city (slips my mind) should probably wait till around 10. The Mage Tower is nice to do earlier, due to the stat bonuses.

A good strategy when there's lots of mobs is to simply move up your warr taunt then force field him and nuke away. Taunt basically keeps everything aggro'd onto him forever and force field gives you free reign to aoe (a cheap and effective AoE spell is Walking Bomb). Cakewalk. Also, if you know that there's going to be waves incoming, use traps. The Shrapnel traps can be quite devastating.

Remember to put nearly all of your points into magic for your mage(s), for your warr, str for items, possibly some vita (not really needed though), some willpower to activate passives, rest into dex.

Good spells to work towards: Spell Might, Mana Clash (basically an instant kill on any pretty much every caster in the game), Walking Bomb, Fireball, Cone of Cold, Winter's Grasp, Heal, Mind Blast, Force Field, Crushing Prison, Glyph of Paralysis & Repulsion, and Tempest / Blizzard for Storm of the Century. Trees to avoid: Earth, Enhancement, Arcane, and Hexes. They consist of.. dubious value.

Since this is you're first run, I'd suggest using at least 2 mages, get Heal, and Force Field on both of them then mix and match the rest between them and you'll be golden.

Once you get used to force field and nuking, it will take care of pretty much 90% of your fights easily. Also, remember to hit tab (or hold it down) cause you will probably see something you would've missed otherwise.

Hey now, are you saying they ever got hard?

My favorite strategy:

1. Let Alistair go in alone and gather everyone up.

2. Just before he drops, use that stasis spell on him. U

3. Unleash hell (every AoE in your repertoir).

4. Laugh maniacally as everything dies.

Works every single time. As for the other two members of your party, bring a rogue and some comic relief.

Henrik Persson:
My favorite strategy:

1. Let Alistair go in alone and gather everyone up.

2. Just before he drops, use that stasis spell on him. U

3. Unleash hell (every AoE in your repertoir).

4. Laugh maniacally as everything dies.

Works every single time. As for the other two members of your party, bring a rogue and some comic relief.

I like the sound of your strategy. I would try it right now if I had a stasis spell.

It would at least prevent quite so much friendly fire (it really doesn't seem like they made the AOEs with 'friendlies' in mind).

Make sure your party is attacks together. This allows you to kill a single undead quickly and then move to the next one, rather than have everyone doing their own thing and making smaller progress in killing the creatures. I found this worked for me, but you're still going to take damage.

Another tip, I don't think relevant to Redcliffe: Always clear the area of enemy mages first. If you don't have Mana Clash, you should invest in it (buy mage training books). It will kill most mages in a single use.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked