Why oh why can't I like Final Fantasy 6?

So many people say it's brilliant. But I can't get past the raft sequence before losing interest.

I think it's starting to affect my personal life. My girlfriend won't give me the time of day. Dogs growl at me, while I've been repeatedly spit on by toddlers and young children. A homeless man walked past me today and kicked me in the groin, while bystanders beside me did nothing but smirk. An elderly lady even took the opportunity to shove her boot in my face while I was down on the ground.

What can be done?

The raft sequence is pretty boring. Try and get past it, if the game doesn't pick up then it's a simple matter of it's not to your taste and go pick up another game.

I have to go back and play that game someday :( I played it in year 9 (I was 14 or 15), loved it to bits but I was playing on an emulator and my laptop got formatted.

I was so shattered :(

All I can say is that game was awesome. Keep at it.

The World of Balance is pretty good, but nothing special compared to 5 and 7.

The World of Ruin is just terrible from start to finish.

Basically, it's a mediocre game overall and runs largely on nostalgia from the SNES crowd. If you can't get into it, you aren't really missing anything.

Try some Shin Megami Tensei, Tales, Fire Emblem, or NIS games instead.

DeeJayTee:
So many people say it's brilliant. But I can't get past the raft sequence before losing interest.

I think it's starting to affect my personal life. My girlfriend won't give me the time of day. Dogs growl at me, while I've been repeatedly spit on by toddlers and young children. A homeless man walked past me today and kicked me in the groin, while bystanders beside me did nothing but smirk. An elderly lady even took the opportunity to shove her boot in my face while I was down on the ground.

What can be done?

Don't worry you're not alone. My car exploded, I got punched in the face, and I fell off the floor. I figured out the solution however! Never play another Square Enix game again, I recommend hearty doses of games by NIS America, Bioware, and Atlus. Or you could try another genre of games.

No matter how good it is, it's still a JRPG. Now, if you generally like JRPGs and still can't get into it? Then your girlfriend, dogs, toddlers, and young children are smarter than you think.

Can't get through the raft part but..but..that's where you meet Ultros.. he brightens up everyone's day.
Clearly your bad luck is the doing of that wicked octopus.

Once the three groups reunite the game gets really interesting. Honestly though everything up until those three groups reunite kinda blows. Harshly. After that it gets better and better.

Seriously. Stick it out past the crappy bit and you won't be dissapointed. Its the best final fantasy out there.

Going into anything expecting brilliance leads to disappointment.

Don't listen to anyone. Attempt to forget everything you've heard about it, then play it.

Its also possible you're too spoiled by the current gaming landscape to appreciate it.

You're obviously a bad person and neither a gentleman nor a scholar. You shall be none of these things until you complete and love it.

It took a few shots of Jack Daniel's, but I made it past the octopus.

To be frank, I think it might simply be the combat system that frustrates me. So far, all I seem to be doing is using the default attack command, healing between battles, and, maybe, if the enemies have a blue hue, using fire magic.

I've decided to read a plot synopsis and end the exploration there. Hopefully the angry mob forming outside my window will be satisfied and let move on with my life.

DeeJayTee:

To be frank, I think it might simply be the combat system that frustrates me. So far, all I seem to be doing is using the default attack command, healing between battles, and, maybe, if the enemies have a blue hue, using fire magic.

I've decided to read a plot synopsis and end the exploration there. Hopefully the angry mob forming outside my window will be satisfied and let move on with my life.

Forget about it and play Illusions of Gaia instead.

Also, this thread is made of win.

Mr. In-between:

DeeJayTee:

I support this post. Illusion of Gaia is one of the best SNES RPGs, better then any final fantasy and anyone who disagrees can go fuck themselves. Soulblazer isn't too bad either, neither is Terranigma but Illusion of Gaia is the best. Every so often I play through all 3 in order.

DeeJayTee:

6 is a heavy contender for easiest title of the series.

LordNue:

Mr. In-between:

DeeJayTee:

I support this post. Illusion of Gaia is one of the best SNES RPGs, better then any final fantasy and anyone who disagrees can go fuck themselves. Soulblazer isn't too bad either, neither is Terranigma but Illusion of Gaia is the best. Every so often I play through all 3 in order.

It's okay if you like nonsensical writing.

...And don't we all on occasion?

Rodyle2:

DeeJayTee:

6 is a heavy contender for easiest title of the series.

LordNue:

Mr. In-between:

DeeJayTee:

It's okay if you like nonsensical writing.

...And don't we all on occasion?

I loved that one moment in terrinigma where the goat eats her husband then rams a mountain open with her head then you eat her corpse. That was awesome. But yeah, the writing in those games isn't the best (It took me forever to get just what happened with Seth and that fish thing in IoG) but the gameplay is fun as hell. The writing is passable for the most part, the gameplay is great though.

But yeah 6 is easy, the problem I think OP was having was that it was boring him though.

LordNue:

Mr. In-between:

DeeJayTee:

People who can't see the value of IoG over FFVI are nothing more than pocky-munching weeaboo tools who need to pull their heads out of their asses. IoG was damn near a perfect game because it was just memorable enough for me to still look back and say "yeah, that part of the game was awesome" while not self-indulgent enough for me to form any emotional teenage attachments to any of the characters.

Mr. In-between:

LordNue:

Mr. In-between:

DeeJayTee:

People who can't see the value of IoG over FFVI are nothing more than pocky-munching weeaboo tools who need to pull their heads out of their asses. IoG was damn near a perfect game because it was just memorable enough for me to still look back and say "yeah, that part of the game was awesome" while not self-indulgent enough for me to form any emotional teenage attachments to any of the characters.

So characters you can become attached to are flaws?

DeeJayTee:

What can be done?

Learn to fight back against these random real life encounters.

You can get another girlfriend, carry bacon in your pocket to give to savage dogs, tell toddlers their is no Santa Clause, report homeless people to local authorities, remind the old lady that no one loves her, and she will forever be alone.

If you don't like a game, you don't need to say your sorry. If you want to fit in w/ people that like something you don't.... well, I don't know what to tell you.

Rodyle2:

Mr. In-between:

LordNue:

Mr. In-between:

DeeJayTee:

No, getting attached to characters from video games to the point where you have to open up a deviantART account to draw yaoi fan art of them is a personal failure, not one on the part of Squaresoft.

IoG wins because while the characters were developed, they weren't developed to the point of encouraging weeaboo retardation.

edited for spelling

Mr. In-between:

Rodyle2:

Mr. In-between:

LordNue:

Mr. In-between:

DeeJayTee:

No, getting attached to characters from video games to the point where you have to open up a deviantART account to draw yaoi fan art of them is a personal failure, not one on the part of Squaresoft.

IoG wins because while the characters were developed, they weren't developed to the point of encouraging weeaboo retardation.

edited for spelling

So it was significantly less successful and thus has a smaller fanbase, therefore it is better? Your logic is rather questionable.

I do enjoy IoG more than FF6, but the writing wasn't superior in any fashion. It starts disjointed and insane, and it stays that way. FF6 starts out fairly nicely written, then just goes to hell halfway through. Gameplay is fun though (but then, it's basically the same as Soul Blazer, which didn't have the level of WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON that IoG and Terranigma did).

In terms of SNES RPG writing, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and FF5 are all better than FF6 and IoG.

Rodyle2:

Mr. In-between:

Rodyle2:

Mr. In-between:

LordNue:

Mr. In-between:

DeeJayTee:

edited for spelling

So it was significantly less successful and thus has a smaller fanbase, therefore it is better? Your logic is rather questionable.

I do enjoy IoG more than FF6, but the writing wasn't superior in any fashion. It starts disjointed and insane, and it stays that way. FF6 starts out fairly nicely written, then just goes to hell halfway through. Gameplay is fun though (but then, it's basically the same as Soul Blazer, which didn't have the level of WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON that IoG and Terranigma did).

In terms of SNES RPG writing, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and FF5 are all better than FF6 and IoG.

No, having a smaller fanbase does not, in any way, make it a better game. It's a better game based on gameplay and atmosphere.

I was never fortunate enough to play earthbound, but I will definitely put CT at the top of the list for writing. Super Mario RPG takes a close second in terms of SNES rpgs because that game was pretty much flawless.

Mr. In-between:

Rodyle2:

Mr. In-between:

Rodyle2:

Mr. In-between:

LordNue:

Mr. In-between:

DeeJayTee:

edited for spelling

No, having a smaller fanbase does not, in any way, make it a better game. It's a better game based on gameplay and atmosphere.

I was never fortunate enough to play earthbound, but I will definitely put CT at the top of the list for writing. Super Mario RPG takes a close second in terms of SNES rpgs because that game was pretty much flawless.

I tend to forget SMRPG, mostly because its progeny, Paper Mario and M/L, are so much better that they force it out of my mind.

Rodyle2:

Mr. In-between:

Rodyle2:

Mr. In-between:

Rodyle2:

Mr. In-between:

LordNue:

Mr. In-between:

DeeJayTee:

edited for spelling

I tend to forget SMRPG, mostly because its progeny, Paper Mario and M/L, are so much better that they force it out of my mind.

In what sense are they better? I haven't played either of them of course, but if you're going to tell me that there are games in the vein of SMRPG that eclipse the original, then I am obliged to check these titles out.

Hopeless Bastard:

I'm with this guy. I had 7 hyped for something like a decade, and upon finally getting a few hours into it I found myself pretty disappointed and more than a little bored. 6 and 7 seem strikingly similar with the exception that 6 just does things faster while 7 has a bit more strategy to it in exchange for taking half an eon to do anything for anyone who doesn't find the battle speed setting and crank it up to something along the lines of "LOL CRACK."

Granted, FF6 isn't the most RPG ever by any stretch, but it does contend for my favorite of the series. It being my first gives me a bit of bias, however, and I can understand how one wouldn't like it and commend you for at least being better than most of 7's fanboys and at least trying the damn thing before spouting off opinions of it.

And I had no idea so many people liked Illusion of Gaia. O__o; It's one of the few RPGs I've managed to finish, but while it was unique I can't say I found it particularly amazing. What I've poked at of Terranigma thus far has been fairly entertaining, though, so I'm of the opinion that time did the sorta-series good.

Granted eating that pet pig will always be a standout moment, and the Nazca Plains were kinda neat.

ZaronX:

Hopeless Bastard:

I'm with this guy. I had 7 hyped for something like a decade, and upon finally getting a few hours into it I found myself pretty disappointed and more than a little bored. 6 and 7 seem strikingly similar with the exception that 6 just does things faster while 7 has a bit more strategy to it in exchange for taking half an eon to do anything for anyone who doesn't find the battle speed setting and crank it up to something along the lines of "LOL CRACK."

Granted, FF6 isn't the most RPG ever by any stretch, but it does contend for my favorite of the series. It being my first gives me a bit of bias, however, and I can understand how one wouldn't like it and commend you for at least being better than most of 7's fanboys and at least trying the damn thing before spouting off opinions of it.

And I had no idea so many people liked Illusion of Gaia. O__o; It's one of the few RPGs I've managed to finish, but while it was unique I can't say I found it particularly amazing. What I've poked at of Terranigma thus far has been fairly entertaining, though, so I'm of the opinion that time did the sorta-series good.

Granted eating that pet pig will always be a standout moment, and the Nazca Plains were kinda neat.

I don't bother to emu games that weren't released in the US because I am both too lazy to master the QWERTY and too cheap to purchase a USB controller. All I will say is that IoG was one of the greatest videos games ever made because it was just serious enough to pique interest while at the same time, being simple enough to not become obsessed with.

Don't you mean FF3? Lol I'm an American

But your suffering made me giggle a little. I know, I know, I'm an awful person. -_-

DeeJayTee:

What can be done?

My prescription is a M1911 handgun and a .45 caliber bullet, administered directly to the brain. If you don't like Final Fantasy 3 then all hope has been lost. It's a brilliant game, and it only gets better after the raft sequence. After that all the plots begin to diverge and you actually get to start making choices on what you do. If it's not your type of game, it's not, but I think it's my favorite RPG. May have to do with the fact that it's one of the first RPG's I played, after Dragon Warriors for NES and Final Fantasy 2 for SNES, so rose colored glasses apply, but it's still one of my favorites. And hey, Yahtzee liked it. It may grow on you, it may not, but when I think of great videogames it's one of the first to come to mind. I actually care about Cyan, Locke, Celes, Terra, and Shadow, unlike most games where I could take or leave all of the characters.

I'm currently replaying Final Fantasy 2 and 3 currently on the SNES, damn nostalgia feels good. Especially when it's not through an emulator.

Mr. In-between:

ZaronX:

Hopeless Bastard:

I don't bother to emu games that weren't released in the US because I am both too lazy to master the QWERTY and too cheap to purchase a USB controller. All I will say is that IoG was one of the greatest videos games ever made because it was just serious enough to pique interest while at the same time, being simple enough to not become obsessed with.

IoG, SoulBlazer and I think Terranigma were released in america.
As for emulation, if you have a ps3 all you need to do is download some drivers and your controller will work fine.

Mr. In-between:

Rodyle2:

Mr. In-between:

Rodyle2:

Mr. In-between:

Rodyle2:

Mr. In-between:

LordNue:

Mr. In-between:

DeeJayTee:

edited for spelling

In what sense are they better? I haven't played either of them of course, but if you're going to tell me that there are games in the vein of SMRPG that eclipse the original, then I am obliged to check these titles out.

Funnier, better characters, refined gameplay... admittedly I've only played the first Mario and Luigi game, Super Star Saga, but the Paper Mario games are all golden.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked