77.4% (48)
Skip 1, play 2.
16.1% (10)
16.1% (10)
Don't play either.
6.5% (4)
6.5% (4)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: I never finished Mass Effect. Should I try Mass Effect 2?

I mean, I liked the game ok. It was fun. But, in my opinion, the story was just soooo booooring.

I just couldn't get into it. It was so slow. I got up to where you fight the matron lady thing (can't remember the name, it's been a while), beat her, and then... meh. I was done and moved on to another game.

I just didn't feel any connection to the story at all. To me, it was "You're the chosen one, creatures invadin', stop the creatures."

Did I miss the good parts? Was I just not getting it? I swear, I liked the gameplay, but the story just absolutely bored me to tears.

Anyway, onto my real question. Should I even bother with Mass Effect 2? Is the story more gripping? And should I finish Mass Effect 1 first?

Again, I'm really not bashing the game. I liked the game part, but...yeah.

Mass Effect 2 is light years ahead of the first. The problem though is the choices you make in the first affect some details in the second. If you want to feel a better connection with what's going on, I would suggest pushing your way through the first. It'll be worth it.

Yeah definitely finish ME 1. It has a very satisfying ending (at least I think so) and it's worth it when you import your character. If it's any consolation ME 2 is much better than the first

In Mass Effect 1 you have a bunch of missions that you can choose in any order and then you have a more linear path set out for you. I find that once you get to the linear path you start to learn more about the reapers, about Sarren, about the Protheans and about the galaxy as a whole. It's at this moments that I find the story gets better. I found the gameplay started to drag at these parts though, I always fell into a routine or pop, shoot, duck, pop with little variation. If you like the gameplay but want the story to get better than yeah, I would play more of the first one if I were you.

The second game is more similar to the first few missions of the first game, in that you can choose what you want to do and in which order. Again the forced linear sections of the main campaign are better but the contained story in the missions you can choose to do, especially the loyalty missions, are much better than anything in Mass Effect 1.

Also, the story is better when your character crosses over if you went Paragon or did things slightly out of the norm, so playing through number 1 and transferring your character is a better choice.

Yassen:
Mass Effect 2 is light years ahead of the first. The problem though is the choices you make in the first affect some details in the second. If you want to feel a better connection with what's going on, I would suggest pushing your way through the first. It'll be worth it.

I didn't know much about the Mass Effect universe when I started to play the sequel and I more or less figured out who was who and what they did within a few hours. Occasionaly the game threw in some old character you were apparently supposed to know, but it was perfectly manageable, Bioware did a good job of making Mass Effect 2 newbie friendly so it's not that much of a disaster if you haven't played the first game.

I'd say suffer through the first one, then play the second. Hopefully you'll start to enjoy the story as it nears conclusion. ME2's story isn't any better though, but that game is not about the story, it's about the characters. It's pretty much an introduction to the team that you're hopefully going to use in the third installation. Getting to know some really deep characters is what that game is all about, as well as some slight continuation of the story from the first. The gameplay is also in my opinion a bit better in the second.

Btw, you're actually not so much chosen as the guy who saves the klutz who accidentally activate an alien device thus destroying said device, leaving you as the only one capable of saving the galaxy. But yeah, the story is pretty basic. I recommend not looking so much at the big picture and try to enjoy the details.

King of the Sandbox:
I mean, I liked the game ok. It was fun. But, in my opinion, the story was just soooo booooring.

I just couldn't get into it. It was so slow. I got up to where you fight the matron lady thing (can't remember the name, it's been a while), beat her, and then... meh. I was done and moved on to another game.

I just didn't feel any connection to the story at all. To me, it was "You're the chosen one, creatures invadin', stop the creatures."

Did I miss the good parts? Was I just not getting it? I swear, I liked the gameplay, but the story just absolutely bored me to tears.

Anyway, onto my real question. Should I even bother with Mass Effect 2? Is the story more gripping? And should I finish Mass Effect 1 first?

"Real Questions" ---- Answers: Question #1 Yes, Question #2 Yes. Question #3 No. You don't need to even play the first Mass Effect game to enjoy the new one.

If you "liked the game, and it was fun" then I would think you will like the next version of it more. They do all they can to improve the best parts of Mass Effect: combat is better, character interaction is better, side missions seem like they are part of the game as apposed to just an add on. Any person who calls themselves a "gamer" would have reason to play this game, in my opinion. But if you don't like sci-fi, then I would tell you to play Dragon Age. If neither of these games are what you like, then just play God of War over and over again.

That's my opinion anyways.

If you didn't enjoy playing Mass effect 1, there is no need to finish it. Yes, there are some plot elements that carry over and enhance the story, But not having them won't make the game poorer. I say just get Mass Effect 2, its a fantastic game and doesn't really have any slow points like the first one did.

King of the Sandbox:

This game had the most uncomplicated plot ever and you got bored with it, seriously?
"That's the evil guy, he's work with creatures that harvest all life! Stop him and his allies, go!"

It's thinking like this that got the second game a few odd plot holes, but yeah, you'll enjoy the second game.

If you really can't finish ME1, just skip on to ME2. It's all sorts of fun. However, it'll be even more fun if you've finished the first game and can load your save from the first game. Either way, go pick up ME2 at the soonest possible time.

mass effect 1 is on steam for only 5.00$. get it. and mass effect itself is only 30.00$

You can miss Mass Effect 1 if you like, but you'll also be missing about 25-50% of the additional content in Mass Effect 2. If you help someone out in the first game, you'll run into them later and see the consequences of your actions. Sometimes you even get a nice side-quest to do. It's just nice and full of little bits of nostalgia, just walking around gives you the sense that you really made a difference in the first game.

The bottom line that you can skip it if you want, but you'd miss a chunk of the Role-playing experience.

Definetly play the first one first and then import. Warning! The combat in Mass Effect 1 is the most boring and life sucking shit you will ever encounter. You have been warned

Sober Thal:

"Real Questions" ---- Answers: Question #1 Yes, Question #2 Yes. Question #3 No. You don't need to even play the first Mass Effect game to enjoy the new one.

If you "liked the game, and it was fun" then I would think you will like the next version of it more. They do all they can to improve the best parts of Mass Effect: combat is better, character interaction is better, side missions seem like they are part of the game as apposed to just an add on. Any person who calls themselves a "gamer" would have reason to play this game, in my opinion. But if you don't like sci-fi, then I would tell you to play Dragon Age. If neither of these games are what you like, then just play God of War over and over again.

That's my opinion anyways.

Oh, I LOVE Dragon Age.

Booze Zombie:

This game had the most uncomplicated plot ever and you got bored with it, seriously?
"That's the evil guy, he's work with creatures that harvest all life! Stop him and his allies, go!"

That's kinda why I got bored with it. Too simple and generic for me, I guess.

Foggy_Fishburne:
Definetly play the first one first and then import. Warning! The combat in Mass Effect 1 is the most boring and life sucking shit you will ever encounter. You have been warned

Hmm. That was actually the part I liked.

Foggy_Fishburne:

But it's never so bad it can't be worse. At least the combat in Mass Effect 2 is enjoyable. You have to actually strategically pick your shots instead of spraying shots everywhere.

Crayzor:
If you didn't enjoy playing Mass effect 1, there is no need to finish it. Yes, there are some plot elements that carry over and enhance the story, But not having them won't make the game poorer. I say just get Mass Effect 2, its a fantastic game and doesn't really have any slow points like the first one did.

Basically this and that the combat is waaaaaay better in Mass Effect 2. PLUS Bioware has already released a couple of DLC characters and missions and there will probably be more to come. To be honest I havent really wanted to go back and play Mass Effect 1 again since I played 2, because it is so different.

If you've played Mass Effect 2 then going back to 1 will be difficult. Some people don't realise just how damn good ME2 is compared to 1 (gameplay/technically wise at least).

But if not, then definitely play Mass Effect first. It's not essential story-wise, as of course you get filled in in 2.. but it just feels distant. Playing through 1 means you have first hand experience of a lot of the 'recent' history in ME2 (because you did most of it/was connected to your mission). You will feel much more connected to the history, lore, backstory, characters, places, cultures etc etc.

Also, a fair few decisions you make in Mass Effect DO come back in ME2, either in small but comfortingly nice ways and some in bigger concequences. Again, not essential, but a really nice touch. Makes it so much more personal.

Taking a few hours to play ME1 (it only takes that long to run through beginning-end, no side stuff) will immensley benefit your playthrough of ME2.. trust me.

Finish 1, play 2.

King of the Sandbox:

Well I guess every guy has a right to his opinion, but I think you just missed it.

Mass Effect's story is one of the best I've ever seen. Simple enough to not over-complicate, complicated enough to have intruige, and a nice twist here and there. Perfection. Gameplay was decent. Dialogue/acting etc out-of-this-world.

As for missing the point- It's not a case of you're the chosen one, only guy in the world who can save the universe etc etc.. and its not about random aliens attacking Earth (eg), and white American marines killing off the bad dudes. Not at all.

It's about a collective assault on an unknown force, of an unkown nature for unkown reasons, with humans (who are hates among the galaxy for good reasons) and the Galactic forces.
Shepard is just a symbol for the best humanity can offer. Far-from-perfect-but-that's-all-we-got, kinda thing. It's not just about defending the Citadel from the geth, but uncovering the mystery of the Protheans, of history, of the Reapers, of what is happening, of Galactic genocide etc etc. Mass Effect is basically a mystery/detective novel, piecing together the bits of info and unravelling the greatest threat the galaxy has ever seen.

it's original. I loved it. But as I said, either you missed it or truly just didn't enjoy it which is fair enough. In which case you MIGHT like ME2, but not certain. At least you'd enjoy the combat maybe/gameplay.

King of the Sandbox:

That's kind of strange, I liked the setting (not the story so much), and some of the dialogue. I hated the gameplay. Too slow to be action, and too simple for an RPG. Somewhat improved in ME2 where they expanded the utility of the companions and increased the volume of enemies, but I still wasn't playing it for gameplay.

I skipped the first because it was dull and long and the driving sections were so bad. When the second came out I decided that I wasn't going to get it. Now I'm so glad that I did. Mass Effect 2 is so much better than the first and I don't feel like I missed anything by missing most of the first game. Definitely play the second, whether oyu finish the first or not

I didn't play ME1 and I can tell you that I had a wonderfull time playing ME2, it was a great game with alot of fun. However now that I am trying to play ME1 it's close to impossible because it's just not the same thing, I can't bring myself to do it.

I don't know that you are going to like 2 much if the story was what bored you in 1. The combat is tweaked and much more interesting in 2, but the story in 2 is going to continue down the path you seemed annoyed with in the first. You are still the one saving the universe, and there is still a big bad guy you have to take care of.

The main difference between 1 and 2 is the bulk of 2 is about the stories of the companion characters. Each companion character has their own sidequest that reveals more about their back story. The main story probably only takes up about 35% of the gameplay. So perhaps 2 will be more interesting to you.

Finally, if you were bored with the story in 1, I wouldn't bother finishing it before trying 2. You obviously are already uninterested in the story from the first one, so the continuations in the second one will mean little to you in either case.

Finish up the first game, then import your save file into Mass Effect 2. But if you're just not into it, then you're not into it. The second game is better, balances out the combat sequences and dialog sequences evenly and is just better, I guess; at least it is to me.

If you can't be bothered with trying to get into the first, then play the second first and go back to Mass Effect 1 after. I'm pretty sure you'll want to.

A lot of the things in Mass Effect 2 (Story wise at least) revolve around the choices in Mass Effect 1. Even little side-missions have an effect on the sequel in pretty big ways, but the game has a default setting for those who didn't finish the first so you should be fine.

I'd recommend it.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked