Lookin for a good RTS game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

i'm looking to buy a good RTS and i'm considering The Settlers 7, b/c it looks alright and i've heard good things about it. What are some other good RTS's out there for PC that i should also consider buying?

Company of Heroes is damned fun.

Commander and Conquer and or Cid Meier's Civilization.

Turtleboy1017:

I second this. Best RTS I've ever played and it set my standard high enough that I haven't bought another since.

Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings and the Conquerers expansion pack (both are sold together)

Probably one of the best RTS games out there even it if it is a bit Graphically lacking.

Company of Heroes, thirded!

Sins of a Solar Empire is also mighty tasty, if you like very large-scale space RTSes.

I always love to play Age of Empires 2 or Empire Earth. Both are pretty good and fun with friends.

Company of Heroes is good, but for some reason, it never really clicked with me. I enjoy it, but I can never play it for long periods of time. However, I would recommend Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and Sins of a Solar Empire. They are just plain fun!

EDIT: There are also some older RTS games out there that are still a blast!

Act of War: Direct Action and its stand alone expansion are tons of fun. Homeworld and Homeworld 2 are also fantastic!

Starcraft+Expansion
Warcraft Series+Expansions
Total Annihilation
Homeworld Series

Dawn Of War
Company Of Heroes.

Think "Relic"

Depends waht you want?

Large Space Battles, Sins of Solar Empire or Homeworld
Basebuilding and unit control, Dawn of War 1 or SC or WC or AoE or Command and Conquer
Unit control and no base building, Dawn of War 2 or CoH
Console RTS, Supreme Commander 2 or Halo Wars

Dawn of War 2 was rather kickass

Amnestic:
Starcraft+Expansion
Total Annihilation
Homeworld Series

Basically this. Add in Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert I, II and III and you have a pretty amazing experience.

I might recommend a couple oddball choices as well:

* Cossacks or American Conquest: Both made in the same mold, and that being realistically-scaled armies. 16000 units or so.

* Imperivm, Nemesis of the Roman Empire, or Celtic Kings. All of the same mold and company, again. They introduced some unique concepts to the strategy genre, among them an emphasis on supply lines for large armies. (The so-called "army marches on its stomach" principle applies here) They also have very pretty sprite graphics and a deep "RPG hero" side to them.

I'd second the Age of Empires series as well - I'm partial to the first game's theme, but all of them are great fun.

Akira Fumi:

Amnestic:
Starcraft+Expansion
Total Annihilation
Homeworld Series

Basically this. Add in Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert I, II and III and you have a pretty amazing experience.

Should be noted as well that you can download C&C1 and RA1 for free off the EA website, though you'll still have to buy RA2+3.

GRS9790:

Turtleboy1017:

I second this. Best RTS I've ever played and it set my standard high enough that I haven't bought another since.

I never remembered a strategy game with a good cover system until Company of Heroes came out. Seriously, it introduced me to a new depth of strategy gaming.

EDIT:
If you hate resource collecting and base building, try World in Conflict. It's more Tactics than Strategy but it's a great game, the battles are huge, you can buy units using a limited points system and there's an awesome Single Player campaign.

The first Age of Empires!
Hahaha nah in all seriousness,

Company of Heroes is probably in terms of quality the best RTS ive played, but I have more fun with Dawn of War Dark Crusade.

Dawn of War DC is a more 'traditional' type of RTS base building and stuff, but instead of hiding away hoarding resources you have to go onto the map and capture areas for points used to call in units and buy stuff.

Its a real fun game that begins with small skirmishes with scout units and then turns into massive battles with lotsa tanks and big explosions.
Its also incredibly balanced for a game that has 7 races each with over a dozen units.
You dont have to be a genius to play it, it doesnt require much thought or strategy once you get the bigger units, but it doesnt matter because the battles are so damn fun to watch, big walker robots slicing people up, flamethrowering them then chucking their lifeless bodies at their buddies, 20 dudes with machine guns laying into a big monster as it stomps around breaking stuff, low level infantry being swarmed by monkey dog things.
I found campaign a bit boring second time around though, but first playthrough i was like woah.
Then theres mods.
Of course it is based on the tabletop game Warhammer 40'000 but i havent played it and im not really steamrolled by the games universe and story.

Company of Heroes is more about organising your units and keeping your squads alive, you have to use cover and cant just rush a machine gun without having at the most one and a half men left.
As in DoW you have to go out and take and hold positions for resources.
Although you will build a base, later on the more powerful units are usually called in from off map.
Unlike other RTS games you can chose one of three doctrines for each side which will grant you special powers like air support or the ability to call in a freakishly huge tank to crush everything.
Depending on your army (theres the US Army and German Wehrmacht in the original CoH, the expansions add the Brits and German Panzer Elite) these doctrines will do something along the lines improving or calling in better tanks, another will be geared more towards infantry, and the other will be more focused on support and defense.
The only problems i have with it are that Allies must always fight Axis, you cant have any kind of free for all, and i find the game unbalanced in some areas but nothing major.

As a wise man above me said 'think 'Relic,'' but if you want a decent game dont even consider Halo Wars, Ensemble has totally run outta steam.

Do NOT get any Settlers games. They're horrible.
I guess anything made by Blizzard, or this free one that's incredibly small filesize for a game so epic, I think it was called Warzone 2100...

Amnestic:

Akira Fumi:

Amnestic:
Starcraft+Expansion
Total Annihilation
Homeworld Series

Should be noted as well that you can download C&C1 and RA1 for free off the EA website, though you'll still have to buy RA2+3.

What is this? People seriously mentioning Red Alert 3 without mercilessly hating on it? I was beginning to think that I was actually the only person that liked it.

Amnestic:

Akira Fumi:

Amnestic:
Starcraft+Expansion
Total Annihilation
Homeworld Series

They have some issues with Windows 7 though, because they refuse to work on my system. Though maybe it's because my system is 64 bit. :x

Total War and Hearts of Iron i say

I can mention one game. Warcraft III.

Not only does it include RTS, but custom map making, so you can make your own battlefields or something completely different (such as DoTa).

It's a game you can play for 10 years and still not get sick of, since custom games are always updated.

Age of Empires 2 w/ expansion.
Or, if you really like Star Wars, Galactic Battlegrounds. It's the same game, reskinned.

Most people at AoE's height were either in the C&C/RA, Starcraft or AoE camp. If you can't find a game out of those three groups, then you should just pick up a shooter. I still play AoE2 on occasions, fantastic for the nostalgia value.

rt052192:
i'm looking to buy a good RTS and i'm considering The Settlers 7, b/c it looks alright and i've heard good things about it. What are some other good RTS's out there for PC that i should also consider buying?

Settlers 7 is completely unplayable because of the broken DRM, stay away from it along with any other ubishit game.

If you want a decent RTS, i'd suggest any non-3d Command & Conquer game, any Age of Empires(or Mythology), Rise of Nations, Dawn of War with the first 2 expansion packs, Company of Heroes, any Blizzard RTS, Supreme Commander 1(the pc version, the 360 port sucks) and any Total War game except Empire.

All of these are good awesome rts games ranging from slow-pace to fast and from tactics to grand strategy

Settlers 2-4
Age of Empires 2
Rome Total War/Medevial 2 Total War
World in Conflict/Ground Control
Mech Commander 2
Company Of Heroes
Supreme Commander
Any C&C up to and including Generals and Zero Hour
Sins of a Solar Empire
Hearts of Iron 2/3

As I've said to many a thread in the last week:

Rome - Total War

The battles are epic, and if you want just RTS, you can avoid the campaign entirely.

Starcraft + Brood War
Warcraft 3
Sins Of A Solar Empire
Dawn Of War + expansions
Dawn Of War 2 + Chaos Rising
Company Of Heroes
Homeworld

My RTS experience is pretty limited, but here's my two cents.

Starcraft is an obvious selection, but I can probably safely assume that you've already played that. If you haven't, then you can go down to pretty much any game shop and get the "battle chest" in exchange for an amusing song or a clever riddle.

I had a lot of fun with the first Dawn of War. With the expansions you can choose from something like ten races, and the resource system is certainly interesting.

Sins of a Solar Empire had a neat enough premise, but I found its interface to be about as user-friendly as a recently tumble-dried wolverine. I'm not saying don't get it, just be prepared to fumble with it for a while.

That's all I've got. Good hunting!

Dawn of War 1 and 2
Company of Heroes
Supreme Commander 1 (and NOT 2!)
Sins of a Solar Empire
Men of War
Homeworld
Any Total War game.
Empire Earth (Maybe)

That's all.

Depends on what flavor RTS you like.

Long, long "not finished in one sitting" type games?
-Civ 4 + BTS. Its civilization, so you already know whether you like it or not (turn based, mind you) and each game merely refines the previous.

-Sins of a Solar Empire. It can be short. It can be long. If you're the type who can draw in a web of meaning where the developers effectively left one out this game may be for you.

Tactical RTS's that stress your thought process more than how your micro and macro?
-Company of Heroes. I will say that the current game is broken as hell though. Between all the bugs and blatant balance issues I wouldn't play online till Relic pulls their shit together and fixes some stuff.

-DOW1. See above. Its COH in space with a stronger emphasis on quantities of units. It's imbalanced as hell but its more or less "playable."

Micro centric:
-SC. 'nuff said.

Macro centric:
-WC3. 'nuff said.

Honorable mentions:
-Red Alert 2. It's Westwood Studio's swan song, and arguably is widely considered the best of the entire franchise to date. Nothing really got run away OP in it like it did in later installments to the C+C franchise.

-Homeworld 1 + Homeworld Cataclysm. Relic's best game, and arguably one of the best RTS's in the whole genre. It drives me up a wall that we're not seeing a proper HW3 rather than "oh gee another warhammer 40k game!" Homeworld 2 does have some improvements over the predecessors but overall the unit balance leaves a lot to be desired.

-Age of Empires 2 and 3. They're both good. I happen to like three a lot more than 2.

Company of Heroes is really one of the best RTS's out there. Give it a shot. World War Two historically accurate (mostly) with little attention on base building, no resource mining, map control and good micro and macro is the name of the game.

The Dawn of War series is just kickass, no matter what angle you're looking from. The first game and its expansions are traditional RTS with base-building and so on (forget Soulstorm though, that expansion is pure and utter shit), and Dawn of War 2 is more of an RTT, with no base-building but a lot of other fun gameplay mechanics to make up for it.

Omikron009:

Men of War
Homeworld

How could i forget these

Asehujiko:

rt052192:

Settlers 7 is completely unplayable because of the broken DRM, stay away from it along with any other ubishit game.

If you want a decent RTS, i'd suggest any non-3d Command & Conquer game, any Age of Empires(or Mythology), Rise of Nations, Dawn of War with the first 2 expansion packs, Company of Heroes, any Blizzard RTS, Supreme Commander 1(the pc version, the 360 port sucks) and any Total War game except Empire.

you didnt like Empire: Total War?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked