how come there's no half life clones?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

so, there's all these games that are clones of other popular games, and half life 2 is largly put at the top of Best PC Games Ever (don't moan to me if you don't agree, IGN just put it at #1) yet there are no other games with 9 different guns, a variety of levels that all fit together, as opposed to each level ending and starting in a space ship taking you from the scrap yard to ravenholm.

so, why are there so many GTA/Halo clones but no half life 2 clones?

I'm probably going to ninja people and say it's regarded as a very orginal games. Orignialit doesn't sell very well a lot of the time. See Tim Schafer.

Edit: Well, it seems orignal to me in ways.

Half Life 2 was just a tarted up Doom/Wolfenstein clone.

there are no other games with 9 different guns, a variety of levels that all fit together, as opposed to each level ending and starting in a space ship taking you from the scrap yard to ravenholm.

Most of the older FPS titles had 9 different guns because they were all on PCs where they were hotkeyed from 1-9.

As for 'variety of levels', even Halo had a 'variety'. There were the beaches, the forests, the snowy cliffs, the Covenant spaceh ships...

Because Half Life is just boring...there I said it.

I'm entitled to my opinion.

Amnestic:

This right here. The FPS genre is referred to as "Doom Clones". (At least, to some of us old people.

You don't hear it so much anymore because Doom is a little antiquated.

Technically speaking there isn't any real clones of any game. Because it would essentially be plagiarism, or just a poor sequel. There are just similarities (sometimes really strong ones) in narrative, characters, gameplay, design etc. That's it really.

At least that's what I think.

legion431:

but isn't your avatar.. wait... what

Amnestic:

there are no other games with 9 different guns, a variety of levels that all fit together, as opposed to each level ending and starting in a space ship taking you from the scrap yard to ravenholm.

Most of the older FPS titles had 9 different guns because they were all on PCs where they were hotkeyed from 1-9.

As for 'variety of levels', even Halo had a 'variety'. There were the beaches, the forests, the snowy cliffs, the Covenant spaceh ships...

Halo's a perfect counter-example actually, because you start on a space ship and a good way through you wind up in a place infested with zombies...

If you seriously think there are no FPSs that took their cue from Half-Life, I'd say you haven't played enough of them.

Half-Life games are very influential. The only people who disagree are massive Valve fans who complain about every way that other games are different to Valve games instead of seeing influences.

Some things you think that "define" Half-Life 2 are features from older games that devs can either take or leave and are normally left behind since they don't work so well on consoles. From the start games like Doom had lots of different guns in the inventory. Looking Glass Studios were very big on levels joining together to make a plausible world. Console games like ICO and SotC also do it much better than Half-Life IMO.

legion431:

Says the man with one of half-life's most noticeable characters as an avatar...

LWS666:

Because Half Life 2 didn't innovate anything, it pushed existing game features to the limit and put them to the best use. Plus, it took years to make Half Life 2, any game studio seeking a quick buck by making a clone of an existing game know better than to take that long.

legion431:

The man that says Half Life is boring has a GMan defeault... I'll go with that

Power suits. I can't say I remember anyone doing that before Half-Life. Now they're all over the place.

I think creating a half-life clone requires more brains than making a COD or Halo clone.(not bashing any franchise, just sayin')

Jory:

legion431:

but isn't your avatar.. wait... what

I, too, am confused.

JEBWrench:

Amnestic:

This right here. The FPS genre is referred to as "Doom Clones". (At least, to some of us old people.

You don't hear it so much anymore because Doom is a little antiquated.

I agree with you on this. Any game that has the character holding a more-than-cumbersome ammount of weaponry is definitely a Doom clone.

Like what other's said, Half Life 2 just took it and made it better. Much better

legion431:

Your avatar would suggest you are a fan, so I'm confused.

legion431:

Capital job there, chap. You've managed to confound several; a true display of irony!

Elanos:
Power suits. I can't say I remember anyone doing that before Half-Life. Now they're all over the place.

A lot of games did "power suits", again I mention Doom. And a power suit is basically just a simple "power armor" and again a lot of games did that before.

In the end I see how Half Life 2 was influential on games, but lets not make it more than it is. It was a game that did the best it could with the stables of the FPS and nothing more. Don't get me wrong, Half Life 2 is a well made game, but its not that original.

Ldude893:

LWS666:

Because Half Life 2 didn't innovate anything, it pushed existing game features to the limit and put them to the best use. Plus, it took years to make Half Life 2, any game studio seeking a quick buck by making a clone of an existing game know better than to take that long.

Tell me, what exactly did Halo innovate?

legion431:

Your avatar has caused confusion! Well done good sir.

OP: Maybe you're looking at the wrong games.

Because Half Life 2 didn't innovate anything

The gravity gun?

so is OP trolling or has he not played any FPSs before HL ?

poiumty:

The gravity gun?

The concept of the Gravity Gun had been done before, in Wild 9 for instance.

Half Life 2 put it into the Source Engine with physics and whatnot, but it wasn't a new idea and it wasn't new to gaming either.

legion431:

AHA!
Someone who agrees with me :P

legion431:

Gman is watching me.

On topic.But I wouldn't use the term 'clones.' unless it was 'Gorden freement shaving the world by beating the combar and suceeding in winning the misson.' That aside.

You can argue that most FPS's are very similar in essence because the biggest part of it (The FPS point) is active in all games of that genre. How like most football games are about making people play football.

Amnestic:

poiumty:

The gravity gun?

Half Life 2 put it into the Source Engine with physics and whatnot, but it wasn't a new idea and it wasn't new to gaming either.

I'm just going to throw something in for comedic value.

Amnestic:

poiumty:

The gravity gun?

yeah, and it is totally overrated, it is like a shoehorned in "look what this engine can do" weapon

First of all, define "clone". I'm assuming you don't mean a game that is entirely identical to what it's copying, because I have yet to see that in any genre. If you're referring to a game that seems to borrow specific aspects from the original game, ending up with a product that may be derivative (at worst) or standing on the shoulders of giants (at best), then we're talking.

As several have mentioned already, Half Life itself is standing on the shoulders of giants here. The game doesn't feel derivative to me, but has certainly borrowed heavily from shooters before it. Namely, ID Software's Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake series. These games so heavily cemented what an FPS is supposed to do that it's hard to avoid stealing from them.

As to games that are "cloning" Half Life? Look no further than F.E.A.R. While a very enjoyable game to me, that game has borrowed heavily from various sources. From the slo-mo effect (Max Payne) to the splicing of furious shooters and horror ideas (DOOM), F.E.A.R. is certainly cherry picking from Half-Life 2, as well. Level design, the general onslaught of faceless corporate soldiers, and the feel I get from the well-designed AI all point to inspiration from Half-Life 2.

tghm1801:

legion431:

AHA!

At least your default (albeit funny) isn't from Half Life.

FireballKatomi:

tghm1801:

legion431:

AHA!

Sorry? :S

legion431:

Not when it comes to HALF LIFE!

I'm surprised you haven't been kicked in the nuts yet for that.

I kid I kid, I've only played Half Life 2, and I suppose a couple of reasons I didn't enjoy it too much is because I only got around to playing it late last year and that it has been rather overhyped. But I suppose that the would of been justified back in 2004 when it came out.

tghm1801:

FireballKatomi:

Legion431 said half-life is boring while having Gman as his avatar, showing a truly majestic show of hypocrisy. You agreed with him, but at least you have a neutral avatar that doesn't go against what you say.

Fusionxl:

tghm1801:

FireballKatomi:

Legion431 said half-life is boring while having Gman as his avatar, showing a truly majestic show of hypocrisy. You agreed with him, but at least you have a neutral avatar that doesn't go against what you say.

OH... I get it. :)

Elanos:

I am not willing to bet you have never heard of Metroid.

What are you talking aboot? There are tons of games aboot power-armored non-characters fighting generically evil aliens with generic weapons.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked