Fear of water in games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Water Temple. Ocarina of Time. (Those spikey rock things)
Water Temple. Majora's Mask. (Giant fish? Eats you!)
3rd world in Mario 64 (Giant Eel)
Any kind of underwater area in Mario 64 (Giant fish? EATS YOU.)
Water world in Mario Sunshine (Once again... Giant Eel)
Water Temple. Twilight Princess. (Final boss? Giant Eel)
Shadows of the Empire. Sewer Level (Final Boss? Giant tentacle monster with a mouth that eats you.)

Frankly, there are a LOT of underwater monsters/levels that just suck.

NeutralDrow:

Gigaguy64:

NeutralDrow:
Sea Hats, Big Octos, and cyclones in Wind Waker.

Normally, I love sailing the big open world, but when any of those three things show up, I remember my fear of sea travel.

Not to mention THOSE F***ING SHARKS.
And i actually thought the Ghost Ship was pretty freaky and a little scary...

The sharks are mildly nerve-wracking, but once I figured out how easily they fall before the might of the boomerang, I managed to conquer that (the freaking sea hats outnumber you, the big octo creates its own whirlpool, and the cyclone...is a fucking waterspout).

I'm not sure why the ghost ship doesn't freak me out more. Probably because I'm usually expecting it, it's relatively benign, and you only see it at night. For some bizarre reason, daytime in Wind Waker scares me more than night.

EDIT: Heh. I'm actually in the middle of an LP of that game. It's decent so far.

oh hey I know you. You were in one of the Metroid prime lets play videos that I'm currently following.

I'm not generally afraid of water in games. Though some games I can be, like Gothic 2 where if you go out to far you're violently eaten by piranhas.

Only if my character has Super Drowning Skills
Yes I went there

I fear the water like I fear the dark, Because we don't know whats down there. That's the part that scares us.

Also this:

Raneman:
Half Life 1, Ichthyosaur. That is where all video game water phobias come from.

I was going to say the same thing.

That very brief moment during the teleportation sequence in HL2 where you saw the Ichthyosaur made me afraid to go near the water in that game, too.

Water is fine... in fact, everything in games are fine for me.
If you're done Ravenholm twice with a gravity gun ('caus the achievement bugged the first time), you have nothing to fear.

I have a phobia of water in video games, but now that I have a trusty horse in RDR I can feel safe as horses are fairly strong swimmers! One sec!

Fuck.

Stormz:

NeutralDrow:

Gigaguy64:

NeutralDrow:

Normally, I love sailing the big open world, but when any of those three things show up, I remember my fear of sea travel.

The sharks are mildly nerve-wracking, but once I figured out how easily they fall before the might of the boomerang, I managed to conquer that (the freaking sea hats outnumber you, the big octo creates its own whirlpool, and the cyclone...is a fucking waterspout).

I'm not sure why the ghost ship doesn't freak me out more. Probably because I'm usually expecting it, it's relatively benign, and you only see it at night. For some bizarre reason, daytime in Wind Waker scares me more than night.

EDIT: Heh. I'm actually in the middle of an LP of that game. It's decent so far.

oh hey I know you. You were in one of the Metroid prime lets play videos that I'm currently following.

...huh? I've never done any LPs, let alone Metroid Prime.

Unless someone's secretly following me with a video camera.

NeutralDrow:

Stormz:

NeutralDrow:

Gigaguy64:

NeutralDrow:

...huh? I've never done any LPs, let alone Metroid Prime.

Unless someone's secretly following me with a video camera.

Oh nevermind I got it wrong. Disregard what I said. Must have read what you said wrong.

I have a bizarre fear of in-game water in TES 3 and 4... the slaughterfish freak me out :/

Irridium:
I'm always nervous that some big fish is going to come up and eat me.

Side effect from Jak and Daxter I suppose...

I loved that part where it gobbles you up.

I am afraid in Survival Horror games where there's water. DONT GO NEAR IT!

Or in brutal shooters
-COUGH-Gears 2-COUGH-

Raneman:

It's older than that my friend. I developed a fear of ocean (in videogame, well i never being to the ocean before... so i can't really tell.) of water because of monster like that Ichtamagig from Half life. But the original Culprit is still:
I was 6 when that beast eat me for the first time. That scar never healed. Still, i can swim like crazy anywhere in real life. In videogame, i just got a shiver that shake my spine from top to bottom.

Water is just hard to fight in. Especially in a game like Oblivion, where even fighting on land is difficult enough due to the bad fighting system.

Or your character simply has fatal contact with water. Like Altair from Assassin's Creed.

Darth Awesome:

JakCurse:
Crysis. Water travel is the absolute best way to move around. Super speed, submerge yourself, hold shift, win. Hit Z before you enter the water and you'll lie down when you hit a shallow area/bank, meaning you can still move at super pace while crawling. Also, enemies barely ever see you in the water.

you've never tried going further into the open waters have you ? :D

Well, now I'm cacking my pants. But in all honesty, swimming along the rivers and such is incredibly efficient.

I usualy jump in to look for secrets usualy armed with a melee weapon or a weapon that fires under water

Ever since that giant fish attacked me in Oblivion I've preferred dry,pixelated land. The wierd thing is I didnt even know the damn thing existed, I wasnt looking for it I was just exploring the underwater dungeon and suddenly the frigging thing appears out of the murky depths and tries to chomp my wedding tackle off! So then I just made an enchanted ring that allows me to 'pull a Jesus' and walk on the water instead.

The Austin:

chris11246:
I find that I always try to avoid swimming in water (especially if i tread on top and cant see below) in games. I guess I'm afraid that I wont see the enemy or I will be defenseless. I know its a bit irrational but I cant shake it.
Does anyone else have a fear of water in videogames?

Yes. Because in Video Games, the developers always save the most horrifying shit for the water.

Good fishy......

Yea i find that happens a lot in games. Also sometimes the enemies in the water are instant death if they catch you and you cant kill them. Basically so you get out as soon as possible.

I just get out of it ASAP. It's too damn easy to drown in games

I usually roll an Argonian in TES.

I don't mind swimming in games, unless it slows you down; only then does it become annoying, in my eyes.

I simply hate water in games where it insta kills you even if its only 1ft deep. I mean how the hell do so many video games actually get away with their main character not being able to swim.

THE BRIGHT ORANGE SHARK NEVER FORGET

Water monsters scare the shit out of me, I think it's the vulnerability.

Jak and Daxter Precursor legacy goes down as my scariest game of all time because I had no idea about the damn sharks...

D Y N A S T Y:

THE BRIGHT ORANGE SHARK NEVER FORGET

I totally didn't notice your post, best coincidence of the day.

saintchristopher:
Dude.

The sewer level in Shadows of the Empire ruined me.

Oh my GOD !!!! Where's my N64, I totally forgot about that game, used to love it.

MichiganMuscle77:

Raneman:

I was going to say the same thing.

That very brief moment during the teleportation sequence in HL2 where you saw the Ichthyosaur made me afraid to go near the water in that game, too.

Oh god, me too. It's why I never go near water in any game.
Or build navies in RTSes. But that's more because bases exist mainly on land.

I have a friend who has a severe fish phobia. Slaughter fish and Icthysaurs are the scariest things in their respective games, and it is as funny as hell to watch him play a water level, or a level that may involve any sort of fish.

I dislike water in games as well but mine stems from the original GTA games where water was instant death.

Mr.Pandah:

Snacker. That thing had me out of the water in all of my games.

And this. Very much this. I HATED going for that Jinjo underneath the pier.

Assassin's Creed nightmares.......DARN YOU ACID OCEANS!

Not really. Water is just another obstacle. I have a fear of drowning but that just means I need to stay near air pockets.

Estocavio:
I dont fear the water, but it does render you rather vulnerable.
The best option is to not fear death - Then everything becomes much easier.

Couldn't put it better myself

I just dislike it for the fact that too many games make it where water=death.

A Raging Emo:
I don't mind swimming in games, unless it slows you down; only then does it become annoying, in my eyes.

Pretty much this, also.

Everyone should be afraid of water since the water temple!

I'm just scared shitless that my highly trained greatest assassin in the world can't even doggy paddle and drown from the instant he touches water. >_>

And then there's sharks.

I dread almost all levels with water in them. I have deep rooted fears from real life from water/drowning related incidents that have creeped into games. I especially hated bosses that I have to fight in water. Some examples are the 7th Colossus (I think) in Shadow of the Colossus, and the underwater boss in Banjo Tooie. Feel so defenseless and also vulnerable...

AjimboB:
I don't like water in videogames, it tends to slow you down, and you usually can't use your weapons in it, making you defenseless, not to mention the fact that there are some freaky things in water, which I don't want coming up below me.

This, for me. Thing is though, I always have the camera positioned above the surface when swim, so that I don't have to see the unnatural horrors that lurk Jaws-style beneath my flailing limbs.

Am I in the minority for not having a fear of water, games or otherwise?
I used to like fighting the "Icky" in HL1... I do remember suddenly jumping once or twice, when it suddenly came up behind me, but I loved teasing it at the edge of the water (or by swimming about) and killing it with a pistol lol.
I remember forgetting I could use the crossbow underwater, and thinking I had to use the pistol, and then later remembering I could have used the crossbow... d'oh.

Games where you insta-drown in water I find annoying - character not wanting to swim is less annoying to me. I have a bad habit of leaping to deadly locations sometimes :P.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked