Red Dead Redemption - "I know you."

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ok, a massive "WTF?" moment in Read Dead Redemption. It's only a side quest, and it's not part of the story, but I'll put it in spoiler tags anyway.

Apparently, he knows who I am and stalks me, but I have no idea who he is. Can anyone actually explain this moment?
And as a side question, have you had any moments of confusion in Red Dead Redemption?

Pretty sure he is the devil(or god I suppose :P).

Have you completed the game yet? If so, read this spoiler.

It's a Rockstar dev self-insertion. Obviously invincible and the most awesomest character to be in the game.

If you cant kill him, then they're probably making him your conscience or something stupid like that

Flamezdudes:

Ohhh that's good.
I was wondering about that.
I really hope that is the case, because that's some awesome stuff right there.
Man I love that game.

Incidentally, i accidentally killed him.
Long story short, i tried to shoot a Wolf, and i didnt know he was there...
Dammit, now i wanna see what i missed out on :/

@Flamezdudes I haven't completed the game yet, and I can't quote you otherwise I'll see the spoiler, but once I have completed it I'll read your post. Thanks.

I've just been ambushed at the meeting, with the natives in the forest. Have I nearly completed the game?

PurpleLeafRave:
@Flamezdudes I haven't completed the game yet, and I can't quote you otherwise I'll see the spoiler, but once I have completed it I'll read your post. Thanks.

I've just been ambushed at the meeting, with the natives in the forest. Have I nearly completed the game?

Just know that there are 57 story missions and 1 stranger mission to complete to see the credits roll. You can see how many missions you've completed under your stats. Should give you an idea as to how far you have to go until the end.

PurpleLeafRave:

You have a fair bit to go yet, just keep playing. Another two hours or so of story left.

Flamezdudes:

"Damn you" and "God damn it" are two different things.

"Damn you" basically means you want said person to be damned.

"God damn it" is basically what it says. You want god to damn said thing.

You say "damn you" and he says "many have" probably means he's very experienced and been in whatever situation you are in before and many people have given him the same reaction. Then again, he might just be some all powerful being put in there for the lulz and I'm preaching to the choir.

Just my two cents. I've never played the game and was just browsing.

Off topic but if anyone can give me an answer I would greatly appreciate it. Putting it in a spoiler tag.

OT: Again sorry for going off topic but I didn't want to make a thread about it. "I know you" was probably one of my favorite stranger quests. I considered him an angel a sort of judge. Major spoiler follows.

syndicated44:
Off topic but if anyone can give me an answer I would greatly appreciate it. Putting it in a spoiler tag.

OT: Again sorry for going off topic but I didn't want to make a thread about it. "I know you" was probably one of my favorite stranger quests. I considered him an angel a sort of judge. Major spoiler follows.

DONT OPEN THE SPOILERS UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE GAME

I think it was Chuck Norris, because he can't die and has lived forever.

It's your character. He's going insane.

At least he isn't keeping dead old ladies in the safehouses.

Flamezdudes:

Hey. I just completed the game, and after feeling sad for a bit, I came back here to look at your spoiler which I bookmarked.

I think that's the most logical explanation for it.

I figured he was the devil, what with the creepy monotone voice, all black clothing, and the fact that he gave me the opportunity to help a guy hire a hooker.

As i remember it, he told you to stop the guy from hire a hooker... Or am i remembering it wrong?

KamiRecca:
As i remember it, he told you to stop the guy from hire a hooker... Or am i remembering it wrong?

You're both wrong because the description says"....he didn't exsactly say how." so you can conclude that he wanted you to advise him on what to do

I thought he was Fate. Many people have tried to damn it, and you can't escape your own.

I thought he was death. He talked about people John killed, and he seemed drawn to the man who killed a lot of people.

I thought it was the devil, but god makes more sense

Wait, did he look like Morgan Freeman? If he did, he's God, if he didn't, probably Satin.

WanderFreak:
I thought he was Fate. Many people have tried to damn it, and you can't escape your own.

God or the Devil arguments have merit I suppose, but it's two sides of the same coin. Modern theology places the power of fate in the hands of mortals for the most part with the divine getting an advanced peek at what's going to happen. Only in classical theology was fate something beyond even the power of the gods to control.

For my part, my assumption was that this particular stranger was divine. On your first meeting he imparts information about the present intentions of a man half-way across the territory. On your second, about the disposition of a single nun an equal distance away. The only way to reasonably explain such knowledge in the context that this game is supposed to represent more than an entire state plus a significant portion of northern mexico is that he has some power unknown to man. The favors he asks are petty in nature, where one may choose the proper or immoral paths without thinking. The most obvious reason for such a test seems simple enough - you are sent on a mission to save your family that will require bloodshed in it's pursuit. Is John willing to even be mildy inconvenienced by taking up these issues? Is he willing to do the right thing or will he take the evil path just to rebel?

By modern theological standards, this sort of test seems reasonable enough. John is on a quest for redemption afterall and God if anyone would probably want to know if he really meant it or not.

I thought he was meant to represent death, as he wears all black and possibly he tests John to see if he should be taken to heaven or hell upon his death, as he knows he will die. reminded me a bit of spawn, if you've seen the aniamted sereis or read comics you'll know waht I'm talking about.

In earlier conversations with the fellow, he tells John that he has a son, and that he's an accountant of sorts. He sends John off on quests that test his morality and, in the last encounter, he knowingly rebukes John's claim that John won't be responsible for his own actions. He speaks disapprovingly of John's habit of killing people, and when John curses him with the words "Damn you", he replies that many have. Considering all this, it's fairly reasonable to conclude that the strange man is supposed to represent God, or some divine power.

I thought it was the ghost of a man who he'd wronged in the past. Trying to test him on whether or not he'd changed at all. Whether him choosing to give it all up and become a rancher had actually changed him or if deep inside he still was the very man who killed him... that or God.

I never ran into this stranger!

I've already completed the game, will he still appear in this case or do I need to start over?

Runding:
I never ran into this stranger!

I've already completed the game, will he still appear in this case or do I need to start over?

He will only appear for you before the end of the game, sadly.

- J

Now if I have completed the game and not found this stranger, is my opportunity to complete this stranger gone or do I still have a chance?

I didn't see this guy ever in the game. I wish I had

Sad i missed this guy

Demon_Cow:
I figured he was the devil, what with the creepy monotone voice, all black clothing, and the fact that he gave me the opportunity to help a guy hire a hooker.

Smart money says that he was testing John to see if he was really reformed.

There are theories that he is a Ghost, God or even the Devil.

My personal belief is that he is the Devil as when he is walking away Marston says "Damn you!" to which he replies "Many people do." People may think that this refers to God Damnit, but you're not actually damning God in that sense. He is also likes to play games with people's morals and actions as the devil has since the beginning of time (Like in the second meeting where he offered you the idea of robbing the elderly nun yourself).

Finally, the final place where you find him is

He is either the devil, god or Death himself. If we check the script for if he speaks in caps, then we can narrow the last one down :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked