The Golden Wrench

69 found.

31 remain.

I wish to acquire such a rare item in Team Fortress 2, that wacky shoot-em-up game. However, in order to achieve it, you must play for several hours straight, gain a new item every half-hour to an hour, then combine a number of the items in the crafting area in order to obtain a very very very rare item.

It infuriates me that i will never be able to get this thing. I still have no idea how to craft properly, i don't want to craft gear i enjoy using in risk of going back to the vanilla weapons (i spent a lot of time getting the specific gear i use, and the last time i fiddled with the crafting i lost my sandvich!)

Anybody else playing this game for hours on end for the chance to win an shiny yet immaterial object?

Can't say I am. It's something monumental to achieve, but don't let it bug you. It's just a cosmetic change.

And personally, I think I'd rather not have everyone shooting at "That one guy who got a golden wrench" instead of me. Why do you think I never use my earbuds when I could play TF2 on my mac as well as on my PC?

I feel your pain, I lost my sandvich too.

I won't go for it, these things usually end in failure for me, so instead of giving up hours of my time to try and get this shiny gold wrench, I think I'll go start a relationship with another human being instead.

Hahaha, kidding, I'm totally crafting my ass off. Human contact, who needs that? I'm getting golden wrench number 81 as we speak!

I'm playing a lot but not for achieving the golden wrench.

I like the plain old look of the wrench just fine. Besides I'm not good at crafting.

Tip: place all your unwanted and crafting items (metal, tokens etc.) in the bottom of the second page of your backpack. Then, the items are easily assessable on pages 3 and 4 of the crafting menu.

*rolleyes*
Everyone wants to be special.

I don't even hope on getting the golden wrench. The phenomenon known as "luck" is completely alien to me. So i said: "screw that, i'll be a realist and just accumulate some metal". But i don't even get much in terms of normal items.

Oh, and i still don't have a single hat.

You can play all you want but as soon as you hit the item drop cap there really is no point to play anymore, I think I invested like 10 hours this week got like 6-7 items, nothing has dropped in the 3-4 hours I've played today and nothing will probably drop because I'm at the item drop limit.

No. There are 100 wrenches to be distributed among thousands of people desperately trying to get them. The chances of getting anything are miniscle so I really am not bothering. I do know the guy who got wrench #1 though so that's cool.

i just want it cause it looks cool!

JohnTomorrow:
69 found.

100 remain.

Wait... What?

Do you mean 31 remain?

I will hold my opinion until they release the golden sandvich...

Kidding, it sounds like fun, but I have relatively few items to start going combine-crazy. What is it you have to combine? Is it anything?

i lost nealy every thing trying to get that wrench in game of couse

I'm not trying to get it.I don't use the wrench as a weapon.And I like the old metallic wrench look.

Apparently it's a totally random thing you can get whilst crafting, so you don't need to worry about losing useful items.

Ekit:

JohnTomorrow:
69 found.

100 remain.

Wait... What?

Do you mean 31 remain?

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Seriously though, I thought you just had to die in mid craft. Has it been confirmed that this is not correct?

Honestly if these were just cosmetic changes I wouldn't care for it; It's the effect has on people it is used to kill.

It turns thier corpses into gold/austrailium statues :(

On the plus side, the prospect of a remote control sentry gun greatly improves my mood on the situation as my metal supply goes up while my item supply rapidly diminishes.

Sephychu:

Ekit:

JohnTomorrow:
69 found.

100 remain.

Wait... What?

Do you mean 31 remain?

Seriously though, I thought you just had to die in mid craft. Has it been confirmed that this is not correct?

I think you get it randomly whenever you craft something.

Ekit:

Sephychu:

Ekit:

JohnTomorrow:
69 found.

100 remain.

Wait... What?

Do you mean 31 remain?

I think you get it randomly whenever you craft something.

Huh, darn.

Ekit:

JohnTomorrow:
69 found.

100 remain.

Wait... What?

Do you mean 31 remain?

HA! Whoops! I'd posted at 2.30am at night, after playing TF2 for about 8 hours straight. My brain was pretty fried. (Jebus, 8 hours! Wow...)

Armored Prayer:
I'm playing a lot but not for achieving the golden wrench.

I like the plain old look of the wrench just fine. Besides I'm not good at crafting.

How the hell can anyone be "not good at crafting"?
That's like saying "I'm not good at pressing buttons."

Kollega:

The phenomenon known as "luck" is completely alien to me.

But i don't even get much in terms of normal items.

Oh, and i still don't have a single hat.

Story of my life.

How do you accidentally craft something? I mean, don't you have to place the items on the side of the screen designated for that and hit craft?

I've finally crafted a hat, and I luckily got the engineer mining hat although I did not use a class token.

I've crafted everything I have and reached my item cap, so no golden wrench for me. :( Although someone who was playing on a server with me was lucky enough to get one.

Benefactor:
Can't say I am. It's something monumental to achieve, but don't let it bug you. It's just a cosmetic change.

And personally, I think I'd rather not have everyone shooting at "That one guy who got a golden wrench" instead of me. Why do you think I never use my earbuds when I could play TF2 on my mac as well as on my PC?

Nope. It actually turns whoever you hit into a gold statue. effectively killing them.

Pretty nifty, huh?

Doctor VonSexMachine:
How do you accidentally craft something? I mean, don't you have to place the items on the side of the screen designated for that and hit craft?
I've finally crafted a hat, and I luckily got the engineer mining hat although I did not use a class token. I've crafted everything I have and reached my item cap, so no golden wrench for me. :( Although someone who was playing on a server with me was lucky enough to get one.

I'd just gotten back into the game and had been shifting things in and out of the crafting section, seeing what blueprint would automatically come up, and instead of hitting 'check blueprint', i hit 'craft' instead.

Stupid, yes. But its a mistake, stiff shit, i'm not going to cry about it.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked