Dead Space is Event Horizon?

I've been hearing a lot of talk about how Dead Space being a direct rip of Event Horizon.
Personally I see the similarities but to call it a direct rip off I don't understand.
What makes it a direct rip off? or the same as Event Horizon?

Does it matter?
There hasn't been an original video game idea in years.

The themes are pretty different, but the setting is very similar. But whatever, I could say both of those are ripoffs of the original Alien and give you a ton of examples why. Dead Space wins in my mind, simply because it was partially written by Internet Jesus.

Radeonx has the right idea, but Dead Space is guilty of significantly more similarities to Event Horizon than most games have to their inspiration. The storyline is basically exactly the same, when put through the objective-oriented game filter, and the look is very similar.

It's basically a video game version of Event Horizon.

Dead Space and Event Horizon have one thing in common: Space.

And that's it.

Event Horizon is an unmatched space horror classic, right up there with Alien (though again, the only thing they have in common is space and that is where it ends).

The stories are so vastly different that it's like saying Taken is a rip off of James Bond.

Honestly I had never seen Event Horizon till someone compared Dead Space to it and I figured that I'd have a kick out of it like I had a kick out of the game (which I did). I suppose they are similiar in ways, aka outerspace...dark ship and people going insane/killing eachother/dieing in bloody gruesome ways...but then again you could say the same for the Aliens franchise and even Sunshine. Forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't Event Horizon more similiar to Doom as it had to do with Hell and whatnot instead of a Alien parasite/virus thing that changed colonists into Necromorphs?

In the end, both were good and the fact that a game tries to emulate previous masterpieces of horror just means that its trying that much more to be a good game...hell if half the games that came out did that I wouldn't be pissed off at wasteing 60$ everytime I buy a newly released and overhyped game...then again I'm retarded to throw money into this anyways.

People will always hate on popular games in this way. I mean everyone says Halo is a rip-off, but besides ambiguous things like "space marines" and "humans vs. aliens," no one can ever point out how the actual defining plot elements rip off anything. Some people will hate things that are popular; heck, even if a story is too original to actually be a rip-off, they'll start criticizing the entire culture and passing the story off as just being stupid for no real reason (cough*finalfantasy*cough).

EDIT: Also, for the record, I thought Pandorum and Alien were worlds better than Event Horizon. Personally.

Thaius:
for the record, I thought Pandorum and Alien were worlds better than Event Horizon. Personally.

Gotta agree with you there

not really. no alien parasites in event horizon, as far as i know.

but pandorum is an obvious rip off of dead space.

an Event Horizon video game. And the problem is?

Thaius:

EDIT: Also, for the record, I thought Pandorum and Alien were worlds better than Event Horizon. Personally.

Both great films, but Event Horizon was the only horror film that ever actually had me scared so I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.
And does it really even matter? Dead Space is an amazing game, who cares from where it took its inspiration.

Haven't you seen the Dead Space animated movie? Its nothing like Event Horizon at all.

Although honestly speaking I don't like either.

Vigilantis:
Honestly I had never seen Event Horizon till someone compared Dead Space to it and I figured that I'd have a kick out of it like I had a kick out of the game (which I did). I suppose they are similiar in ways, aka outerspace...dark ship and people going insane/killing eachother/dieing in bloody gruesome ways...but then again you could say the same for the Aliens franchise and even Sunshine. Forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't Event Horizon more similiar to Doom as it had to do with Hell and whatnot instead of a Alien parasite/virus thing that changed colonists into Necromorphs?

In the end, both were good and the fact that a game tries to emulate previous masterpieces of horror just means that its trying that much more to be a good game...hell if half the games that came out did that I wouldn't be pissed off at wasteing 60$ everytime I buy a newly released and overhyped game...then again I'm retarded to throw money into this anyways.

Event Horizon does indeed feel very DOOM-inspired. Either that or DOOM 3 ripped off Event Horizon, because replace "research ship in space" with "research station on mars" and Event Horizon is exactly the same as DOOM 3. Well, minus the fact one is a game and one is a movie, so obviously they have to be a little different. What works as a narrative doesn't always work as a game. Point is, Event Horizon looks and sounds like Doom and particularly Doom 3.

DJmagma:
not really. no alien parasites in event horizon, as far as i know.

but pandorum is an obvious rip off of dead space.

When I saw the trailer for Pandorum I honestly though it was a Dead Space movie.

Honestly I've seen Event Horizon, it had an awesome premise but the rest of the movie sucked, Dead Space is better...=/

Guys event horizon is a moive not video game. who gives crap if a video game takes a few ideas from movies . they are two completely different worlds . another thing get past the fact there is no orginal ideas anymore and just shut up and enjoy the game i mean really. just because they took some ideas from another game or moive doesnt mean it is not a good game.

sshakespeare:

Thaius:
for the record, I thought Pandorum and Alien were worlds better than Event Horizon. Personally.

Gotta agree with you there

Thirded. I thought Pandorum was fucking awesome (except when the main character gets a mega buster >_> but he loses that pretty quick iirc).

Agayek:
Radeonx has the right idea, but Dead Space is guilty of significantly more similarities to Event Horizon than most games have to their inspiration. The storyline is basically exactly the same, when put through the objective-oriented game filter, and the look is very similar.

It's basically a video game version of Event Horizon.

Not even close. I'm not intentionally defending Dead Space here, but just to clarify...

Event Horizon was about a ship called the "Event Horizon" that had the first warp drive which, instead of traveling through space at hyper speed, used some crazy ass drive that bent time and space around it, so the ship stayed in one spot while the universe folded around it, then unfolded again and suddenly the ship is in a new place. Almost like teleportation.

The problem, however, is that the void in which the ship passes through (or, to be more precise, the void that passes around the ship), is some sort of hell, and it drove everybody on the ship insane.

Dead Space is similar only in the way that some bad shit went down on a ship in space.

It has as much in common with Event Horizon as it does with Sunshine (which is an excellent film).

Anah'ya:
Event Horizon is an unmatched space horror classic,

That's... a lot nicer than I would have been.

My problem with Dead Space is that it's... just not very scary. Which I suppose is something it had in common with Event Horizon but that's neither here nor there.

Wow, a necro and a first post for you on a 2 year old thread that must have taken some page digging.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked