Why do people hate Games for Windows Live?

The only thing I had to register on GfWL was Fallout 3, and it didn't do anything bad. It's completely useless to me of course, but it didn't negatively impact me at all.

Because it's buggered up for me, and I can't do a damn thing about it short of reinstalling Windows.

try buying another game for G4WL....

Everytime i get forced offline Mode with "Invalid Key" error so I have to Log out, Log in then it asks me for my CD Key >.>

Or the fact only a few places get G4WL Multiplayer in Norway I tried to Register Fuel and it told me im not allowed to play online because of where I live >.<

Because it logs me out in the middle of DoW2 games, all the time.

I never found much of a problem with it... but I hate steam which is weird.

They just need to sort out the crashes and it'll be fine.

There's a fairly large article in an Edge magazine recently of why Games for Windows Live is a complete failure. (edit - it could have been Games TM those two mags are pretty similar)

If I were at home I would find it for you and cite parts, however, all I can suggest is you look for it online.

Intrusive, unnecessary, moody, hates me (as is evident by it messing up at the worst time whenever i play dow2), is a pain i never asked for and does nothing for me yet am forced to deal with it for quite a few games.

That about sums up my own personal feelings on the matter.

I only own two games with GFW and I enjoy it mainly because I am a hopeless sucker for the achievements. I understand how it could get frustrating, my only issue is that the two games I own that use it are from steam, so why can't the steam interface deal with it? I had to make a live account to play games I got off steam. The only other issue is I bought fallout 3 off steam and steam never made the DLC's available, only a Game of the Year addition that was cheaper than the base game I bought previously. Since I dont use my live account I never got to play the DLC's, although the internet told me that if I bought the DLC's off GFW, I could go into folders or something and load them in manually but I said no.

So in my irrelevant opinion, I have no problem with it as long as they keep it separate from Steam.

Some games don't work, You have to buy MS points if you want to do simple things like changing your gamer tag which is just wank and something I would never ever pay for when you can do it for free in other games. Crappy and buggy VOIP and friends list etc. GWFL basicly fucked up Section 8.

because its slow, and a pain to sign in every single time. i like playing my games through steam and NOT having to sign in through windows live after ive already signed into steam

I find it strange how those who like GFWL have problems with Steam crashing and those who like Steam have problems with GFWL crashing...

I like Steam but that's just me, mostly because I got lucky with sales ^_^

Lightslei:
I find it strange how those who like GFWL have problems with Steam crashing and those who like Steam have problems with GFWL crashing...

Probably because they're both unstable. I've heard a number of complaints about Steam that are making me hold off from paying them anything.

Something I liked about GFWL is that you can get the community features for free. Steam won't let me add friends without paying first, even though they have games for free like TrackMania and America's Army 3.

What I dislike about GFWL is that I can't be logged in on my 360 at the same time.

Because even if you buy Dawn of War 2 through Steam, GFWL is required to play online, which is bullshit.

It is quite simply non-functional.

Well lets start.

No localised servers.
9 out of 10 cases i end up playing with some Australian or American guy when I live in Europe.I am sorry but I am used to a certain standard when it comes to latency and Live doesn't seem to care.

Needs uPnP to work
It needs uPnP to connect properly to friends. I spend half an evening getting my router to use it only to find out that UPnP has more bugs that your average household sink. Personal annoyance is that when it is active it will make me lose connection for 1-2 sec every 10- 15 minutse. Utter pain in the ass.

Layout and setup
Joining friends in a game on steam is easy. Joining friends in a game with live is a pain in the ass. The whole thing seems designed around playign with people you dont know, rather than people you know.

migo:

Probably because they're both unstable. I've heard a number of complaints about Steam that are making me hold off from paying them anything.

Something I liked about GFWL is that you can get the community features for free. Steam won't let me add friends without paying first, even though they have games for free like TrackMania and America's Army 3.

What I dislike about GFWL is that I can't be logged in on my 360 at the same time.

Wtf are you on about? you dont need to pay for anything cept for the games on steam. You can add friends np without owning a single game. What youare saying is just flat out wrong.

Draech:

migo:

Wtf are you on about? you dont need to pay for anything cept for the games on steam. You can add friends np without owning a single game. What youare saying is just flat out wrong.

No you can't. My brother tried adding me and I never got his request, I tried adding him and it said I needed to purchase a game first.

Gosh. I've had SO MUCH trobule to register there and play Dawn of War 2 (seriously, properly registering+logging into a Game4Windows Live in Poland is painful. First time I've had to spend half an hour to find out, how to register there, because they don't really allow that in Poland. I've finally registered on english site.) and when launching the game it almost always says, that the CD Key is invalid and please re-enter it. Once it even popped out in the middle of a fight.

Kif:
There's a fairly large article in an Edge magazine recently of why Games for Windows Live is a complete failure. (edit - it could have been Games TM those two mags are pretty similar)

If I were at home I would find it for you and cite parts, however, all I can suggest is you look for it online.

Is it this one?

http://www.next-gen.biz/magazine/should-games-for-windows-live-die

Ive never had a problem with it, and i actually go out of my way to buy games for it, im to much of an achievment junkie, need to have my gamerscore fix

migo:

Draech:

migo:

No you can't. My brother tried adding me and I never got his request, I tried adding him and it said I needed to purchase a game first.

Then you have been doing something wrong.
I got one of my friends who is a apple freak to try out steam when it came to the Mac. She had no games until I bought Civ to her during the summer sales. Now unless you are telling me that didn't happen then you can for a fact join the community without owning any games.

migo:

Lightslei:

are you sure? I Used to just have only free games and i could add friends on steam xD

pm me your steam id or check my profile for mine and try to add me im sure it should work

Kouen:

migo:

Lightslei:

are you sure? I Used to just have only free games and i could add friends on steam xD

pm me your steam id or check my profile for mine and try to add me im sure it should work

Paying for steam? have never heard of it and i have a fair few contacts.
Can't stand windows live cos the thing never seems to log in properly, I used to play red faction guerilla, other problem was they had no AUS servers, and didn't allow public hosting. And they don't convert games to PC properly, Halo 2 was a poor conversion that still had a lot of the origional "press y" controls that weren't actually talking about pressing y they ment left mouse button or something along those lines. I haven't seen one windows life game yet that hasn't been worse for the fact of having windows live involved with it

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked