Which Games Do QTEs Right?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I read today's Stolen Pixels and it got me thinking about games that used quick time events about as effectively and intelligently as possible.

I only came up with four of them.

Sly Cooper and the Thievious Raccoonus (3rd boss battle)
Sly 2: Band of Thieves (dancing with Neyla/Carmelita)
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (Opera vs. Octavio)
Misadventures of Tron Bonne (speed increase minigame for Servbots)

If you can come up with any more, please do so. And please don't start spewing about God of War. I know they seem to have set the benchmark for the QTE, but that's kind of the problem. We need more, better examples of how these things can be done well. If we can't find any more, then maybe we can try to pool our strength to get these damn things out of our video games.

Thank you very much, have a nice day.

Like Sly Cooper much?

I think Fahrenheit did it very well. It was mostly QTE based, but they were tense, exciting, and easy to use. I had no qualms with them.

Also, Metro 2033 had good ones too. It felt responsive, and they weren't too close together or too far apart.

I find it amusing that you say only 4 games have done QTEs right, and three of them are Sly games.

I don't generally care for QTE, even in games like Heavy Rain. I wouldn't call GOW QTE's good either. I hate having to concentrate on button pressing when all this exciting stuff is happening that I cannot concentrate on.

God of war 3, the QTEs are easy, but its always bloody and epic

I remember playing a Sly game, can't recall which one though... Anyway, the point is that i didn't hate the QTEs so i have too agree on one of the Sly games.

The paradox with QTEs though is that it's only fun tolerable when it is so easy that you can't fail, but then whats point of having them instead of enjoying the cutscene.

With games like Heavy Rain, which is essentially one massive QTE, it would be nice if the buttons you pressed bore some resemblance as to the action you were doing - unfortunately I don't think that's possible on a DualShock. I don't think PlayStation Move compatibility will improve it, either.

I don't really approve of QTEs, but I guess they're more interesting than watching cutscenes.

inb4generichacknslashgame

Also, Heavy Rain is basically just one giant QTE, so I'd say that one's a really cheap vote. I've heard people say that Shenmue did it really well, but I never played any of those two games.

Anyone who says Assassins Creed 2s "press x to blow out the candle" one is good, needs to know that I hate him or her by all my heart.

Z3r0H0urs:
God of war 3, the QTEs are easy, but its always bloody and epic

...fuck. But seriously, it's not done right. It's just "RAM THAT BUTTON LIKE A BITCH OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!", and not something that feels kinda interesting.

GOW did it reasonably well iirc. It was in gameplay,as a way to kill big ennmies quicker.

All other QTEs i saw in any other game were full of fail. RE4 was one of the worst, with the "press X to not die" events in the middle of cutscenes all the time. Why dont they show it as the average cutscene? If i miss/fail i die and have to restart over and over again.. the game just waste my time that way, and goes nowhere, acomplish nothing.
This isnt fun at all. THis is also why that game is just accumulating dust in a corner of my home.

Furburt:

Also, Metro 2033 had good ones too. It felt responsive, and they weren't too close together or too far apart.

Also, they were, in a sense, easy. They required that you were attentive, but not crazy prepared for a miniature rhythm action game.

I think Heavy Rain's are great too, because failing one does not necessarily entail death. The scene just shifts somewhat in the other dude's favour. This is speaking from the perspective of not failing the ones that looked like instant death situations, however.

Heavy Rain is the first one I've played that I think did it quite well. I can't remember another one where it worked that well.

Furburt:
Like Sly Cooper much?

I think Fahrenheit did it very well. It was mostly QTE based, but they were tense, exciting, and easy to use. I had no qualms with them.

Love Sly Cooper. The fact that Sucker Punch were the developers of inFamous was the first thing to interest me about that game and I now eagerly await the sequel.

As for Indigo Prophecy(Fahrenheit)...I have beaten it... it's just the best moment of that...experience...was when my friend's Xbox froze and the controller was still vibrating, so we used it to...torment...my roommate. She enjoyed it for about fifteen minutes, then we went home.

Setting aside most of the issues I had with IP, the problem with the QTEs was that they were bound to the analog sticks, which don't always read up as up. Binding the QTEs to the completely unused control pad and action buttons would probably made them flow much more easily, and would have kept the right stick doing what it does best: move the camera.

Metro 2033 I know nothing about so I've got no opinion on that one.

God of War becuase they were optional and sometimes not needed.

Heavy Rain becuase its the core game play and even if you mess up on some parts it wont murder you for it.

MGS im not sure if 1 or 2 did it and i don't remember any in 3 but during the cutscenes in 4 you had the option to look back at past games orr view through snakes eyes, you didn't have to do them but if you did the game would reward you, with in game money so it worked.

I can't think of one that's done it right...or any reason to keep including them in games. It's the "quick" part that ticks me off - I hate dying just because I wasn't prepared to hit the right button at the right moment, only to have to relive the cut scene with my finger hovering over the right button the second time.

I don't characterize the GOW events as QTE so much as finishing moves - though I totally agree with earlier posters that they still suck because they take your focus away from the animation. At least in GOW 3 they put the button images on the same side (or top/bottom) as the button you needed to hit - requiring a bit less focus.

Come to think of it - I guess the QTEs in MGS4 were ok - they were just additions to cut scenes, hit L1 or X to see a memory during the normal cut scene - I think that added something there, and there was nothing really lost if you missed the queue.

Shenmue games and Heavy Rain for me probably. Both of which are games that you know there will be QTE's in. Unlike other genres where you don't expect them, and consequently you are completely caught off guard.

God of War, it is partially to blame for a huge QTE craze for a while I guess. But the entire series has done them pretty well and my favorite is personally three. See when I first started 3 I Was playing on an SD tv and couldn't see for shit and could hardly make out what buttons to press, THANKFULLY though they moved the buttons to the side of the screen they're on, on the controller and make the screen flash in case you don't notice. Plus in the god of war games the buttons you press generally have some relation to what you're doing (except in the constantly random ones like killing cyclopes where you will occasionally have to pess X, the jump button, to punch them) such as usually using square or triangle to use the blades, circle is usually a grab of some sort and the presses related to gameplay are what make them better in my books.

Furburt:
Like Sly Cooper much?

I agree with the Metro 2033. They seemed needed to add to the frantic dark attacks.

The only game that has QTEs that I didn't mind was Resident Evil 4. They weren't all the time, except for that one cutscene fight.

Umm God of War comes to mind because they were usually just to finish off a monster.

I thought wet did them pretty well, they tended to be button logical, generally if you were going to jump it was the jump button, shoot the shoot button, etc etc and they werent so hard that they totally fucked up the flow

BioShock 2 made hacking better then it was in the first game.

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

Guitar Hero
Rock Band
DDR
etc.

Really, nobody's said Mass Effect and its QTEs for opening locked containers or researching artifacts?

I thought those were pulled off well, since they don't interrupt gameplay and can be avoided if you have a crapload of omni-gel like I do. Plus, they're easy as hell.

Personally I don't like QTEs, but any game that dosen't kill you outright if you mess up does them relativly well (God of War most of the time). Also any game that dosen't expect you to have the reaction time of .00001 seconds and then kills you if you don't does them well enough that I enjoy them. Finally any game that dosen't just randomly spring them on you, I hate sitting the controller down for a second during a cutscene and having a QTE sprung on me then watching my character die.

Johnnyallstar:
The only game that has QTEs that I didn't mind was Resident Evil 4. They weren't all the time, except for that one cutscene fight.

That knife fight was the coolest part of the game. It wasn't just "miss and die in this one way" there will many ways to get sliced up in that fight, and that got my heart going. It was fun. The RE4 QTE's were annoying, but easy to do, so I can't hold that against them.

onewheeled999:
Really, nobody's said Mass Effect and its QTEs for opening locked containers or researching artifacts?

I thought those were pulled off well, since they don't interrupt gameplay and can be avoided if you have a crapload of omni-gel like I do. Plus, they're easy as hell.

Yes. Every lock or computer ever can be opened/hacked by playing Simon Says. It really felt out of place to me. Mass Effect 2 did them better, but you wouldn't call those QTE's.

Ertol:
Personally I don't like QTEs, but any game that dosen't kill you outright if you mess up does them relativly well (God of War most of the time). Also any game that dosen't expect you to have the reaction time of .00001 seconds and then kills you if you don't does them well enough that I enjoy them. Finally any game that dosen't just randomly spring them on you, I hate sitting the controller down for a second during a cutscene and having a QTE sprung on me then watching my character die.

Ninja'd. People keep using God of War as an example, but those are just glorified finishing moves. When I think QTE, I think of moments where you get a split second to save yourself or be grievously injured. Unlike Ertol though, I fully enjoy the ones where you have to stay alert during cutscenes. It's kinda fun watching all the death sequences sometimes anyway.

Did everyone forget about RE4? They used to cite that as the game that did QTE's right, but then God of War rolled around and everyone promptly forgot that RE4 existed.

Et3rnalLegend64:

onewheeled999:

Yes. Every lock or computer ever can be opened/hacked by playing Simon Says. It really felt out of place to me. Mass Effect 2 did them better, but you wouldn't call those QTE's.

Ertol:

Ninja'd. People keep using God of War as an example, but those are just glorified finishing moves. When I think QTE, I think of moments where you get a split second to save yourself or be grievously injured. Unlike Ertol though, I fully enjoy the ones where you have to stay alert during cutscenes. It's kinda fun watching all the death sequences sometimes anyway.

Did everyone forget about RE4? They used to cite that as the game that did QTE's right, but then God of War rolled around and everyone promptly forgot that RE4 existed.

Well I will agree RE4 did do it the best, but God of War 3 did have a few boss battles where if you messed up one of the moves you just lost some health, instead of getting ripped apart and having to restart. I don't count the finishing moves as QTEs, because that's just button mashing.

GoW. in fact any game that didnt put them in cutscenes and made them optional was good.

also Heavy Rain did it really well.

migo:
Guitar Hero
Rock Band
DDR
etc.

Well those aren't really quick time events because you see them coming. I guess they'd be slow time events.

OT: I like the way Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy/Lucas Kane's Happy Funtime Adventure did them. You always knew they would come and they became an integral part of gameplay, rather than randomly being thrown at you in random intervals.

Akihiko:
Shenmue games and Heavy Rain for me probably. Both of which are games that you know there will be QTE's in. Unlike other genres where you don't expect them, and consequently you are completely caught off guard.

I agree with you. Heavy Rain and Shenmue are the only games I've come across where they work really well. I think that they work so well because they're quite cinematic, and the QTE manage to keep a game's cinematic qualities while making it interactive and immersive at the same time to hold up interest.

Johnnyallstar:

Resident Evil 4 is by far the best example of QTEs

And I died so hardcore during the knife fights towards the end....

I do not know any PC game that has made QTE right.

1. I like how you asked, not to mention gow and there are like 10 posts with it^^

2. I think pop: 2 thrones did it okay since you weren´t forced to use them. Sometimes i just like the oldfashioned "beat the crap out of everything" method and not just wait for a qte to show up.

"Try Not to Fart" on Xbox Live. The game is just one ridiculous QTE where you have to hold and release buttons so you don't fart during your wedding.

OP - Since I saw your thread on reading (but didn't take time to read it) I feel obligated to point out that the God of War series does QTE's really well and yes, I like books.

Double thread mention sarcasm ray!

Snarky Username:

migo:
Guitar Hero
Rock Band
DDR
etc.

Well those aren't really quick time events because you see them coming. I guess they'd be slow time events.

OT: I like the way Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy/Lucas Kane's Happy Funtime Adventure did them. You always knew they would come and they became an integral part of gameplay, rather than randomly being thrown at you in random intervals.

Well that's the point, the only good QTE is if you see it coming, rather than it being a complete surprise unless you're on your second playthrough.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked