(SPOILERS) Questions/disscussion about Star Craft 2 story (SPOILERS)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

And why are all these bugs chewing on my harvesters?

Eric the Orange:
OK now I have beaten SC2:WoL story and I have a few questions about the story.

1. OK first off in the story recap during the install it pretty much skips over most of what happened in brood war. Like no mention of the UED. Is Blizzard retconning this, or just ignoring it?

2. So at the end of the story Kerrigan APPARENTLY becomes human again (I did warn about spoilers). But while the rest of her looks human her hair is still the zerg tendrals. So is she all human now, part human, I'm confused?

3. So it would seem that Mengsk is the one who is controlling Tychus, and his mission was to kill Kerrigan. First off earlier in the story it talks about how he is reluctant to do this. Why? until the very end of the game she is a force of destruction and death through out the galaxy, even Raynor says he'd probably have to put her down.

4. Also it's revealed that Mengsk can hear and see what Tychus does. But Tychus is a key player in the missions where you steal the Odin and use it to ultimately reveal Mengsks involvement in the genocide on Tarsonis. So why did Mengsk allow what would be such a terrible blow to his regime continue?

havent bought it yet so idk

So you have problems with those things, but not with the fact that they basically equated the Xel'Naga with the Hybrids?

Seriously, I'm failing to see how the Xel'Naga, GODS, could create two races that, when fused, create Xel'Naga. It seems rather long, involved, and frankly dumb.

Also, what the fuck happened to Samir Duran?

TsunamiWombat:
snip

Flying-Emu:
So you have problems with those things, but not with the fact that they basically equated the Xel'Naga with the Hybrids?

Seriously, I'm failing to see how the Xel'Naga, GODS, could create two races that, when fused, create Xel'Naga. It seems rather long, involved, and frankly dumb.

That didn't particularly bother me. In the first game the Overmind says that the Xel'naga created both the zerg and the protos and his job was to get the two crystals to combine the races (or some such it's been awhile). I don't think the hybrid in this game are the Xel'naga themselves but rather a race of powerful beings that they would use as there army.

Eric the Orange:

Flying-Emu:

That didn't particularly bother me. In the first game the Overmind says that the Xel'naga created both the zerg and the protos and his job was to get the two crystals to combine the races (or some such it's been awhile). I don't think the hybrid in this game are the Xel'naga themselves but rather a race of powerful beings that they would use as there army.

If they're powerful enough to create two completely new species, why would they need to have them breed to make a more powerful species? Why don't they just make the hybrids right off the bat? For that matter, why don't they themselves just fight? Shit, if they hadn't made the Protoss in the first place, they would have no resistance at all, since the Prophecies state that the Terran are the first to be wiped out.

Flying-Emu:
snip

Well I get the feeling that this shadowy guy they call the fallen isn't a regular Xel'naga if a Xel'naga at all. And that this Xel'naga plot thread is going to be the one that ties the 3 parts together, so at the moment we don't really have the full picture here. I refrain from judgment on plot holes and what not about this until the full picture is revealed.

Eric the Orange:

Flying-Emu:
snip

Well I get the feeling that this shadowy guy they call the fallen isn't a regular Xel'naga if a Xel'naga at all. And that this Xel'naga plot thread is going to be the one that ties the 3 parts together, so at the moment we don't really have the full picture here. I refrain from judgment on plot holes and what not about this until the full picture is revealed.

I'm just kind of disappointed with the similarities I'm seeing between SCII and the ME universe.

I can't explain why I feel that they're so similar, but I agree, I'll with hold judgement until the expansions come out.

$20 says that Protoss comes first.

Flying-Emu:
If they're powerful enough to create two completely new species, why would they need to have them breed to make a more powerful species? Why don't they just make the hybrids right off the bat? For that matter, why don't they themselves just fight? Shit, if they hadn't made the Protoss in the first place, they would have no resistance at all, since the Prophecies state that the Terran are the first to be wiped out.

I read six or seven of the StarCraft novels, and if I remember right it was mentioned somewhere that the Xel'Naga basically created both the Protoss and the Zerg as some kind of scienctific experiment - you know, build a maze with a single piece of cheese in it, then set two mice in there and see who prevails and gets the treat. I don't remember if any reason was given for that, but hey, even gods need a way to kill time, I suppose.

Eric the Orange:

Flying-Emu:
snip

The silhouette of the Fallen looks very much like a Protoss as opposed to a Hybrid/Xel'Naga, and if I were to make an educated guess I'd say it's someone we've already met at some point in the SC universe. Who knows? Maybe that vision Zeratul had on Aiur wasn't really Tassadar at all... I mean, good intentions aside, Zeratul does have a history of being a semi-blindly trusting pawn in other people's schemes.

OK this question isn't about the story but I didn't want to make a whole new topic for it. I've done all the missions available, including the other path for the 3 that give the option. But the game says I'm still missing one called "Belly of the Beast". Does anyone know how to access that mission?

Flying-Emu:

Eric the Orange:

Flying-Emu:
snip

I'm just kind of disappointed with the similarities I'm seeing between SCII and the ME universe.

I can't explain why I feel that they're so similar, but I agree, I'll with hold judgement until the expansions come out.

$20 says that Protoss comes first.

20 quid please. It's already advertised on the news page that the Zerg expansion comes next :)

Eric the Orange:
OK this question isn't about the story but I didn't want to make a whole new topic for it. I've done all the missions available, including the other path for the 3 that give the option. But the game says I'm still missing one called "Belly of the Beast". Does anyone know how to access that mission?

I believe that might be the mission where u choose tychus's plan to go underground in Char and prevent and tunneling zerg from appearing in the last mission. I think.

Eric the Orange:
Also it's revealed that Mengsk can hear and see what Tychus does. But Tychus is a key player in the missions where you steal the Odin and use it to ultimately reveal Mengsks involvement in the genocide on Tarsonis. So why did Mengsk allow what would be such a terrible blow to his regime continue?

I believe that, during that mission, Tychus couldn't hear anyone taking to him through the radio (Raynor couldn't get through to him either, so you had to indirectly help him). Afterwards, he probably let Tychus go hog wild because he knew that, if Tychus killed Kerrigan and attributed the victory to Mengsk, the previous damage to his reputation would be undone because of how he, you know, saved potential billions from the Zerg.

Flying-Emu:

Create the perfect race.

See? You can't. You'd need to experiment. So do the Xel'Naga.

Redratson:

Eric the Orange:

I believe that might be the mission where u choose tychus's plan to go underground in Char and prevent and tunneling zerg from appearing in the last mission. I think.

Yeah I'm getting a bit confused about this now. I did eventually find and do that mission and now it says I'm missing a mission called "piercing the shroud". I'm starting to think it may be a problem on blizzards end.

Enigmers:

Eric the Orange:
Also it's revealed that Mengsk can hear and see what Tychus does. But Tychus is a key player in the missions where you steal the Odin and use it to ultimately reveal Mengsks involvement in the genocide on Tarsonis. So why did Mengsk allow what would be such a terrible blow to his regime continue?

I believe that, during that mission, Tychus couldn't hear anyone taking to him through the radio (Raynor couldn't get through to him either, so you had to indirectly help him). Afterwards, he probably let Tychus go hog wild because he knew that, if Tychus killed Kerrigan and attributed the victory to Mengsk, the previous damage to his reputation would be undone because of how he, you know, saved potential billions from the Zerg.

OK I can see that logic, but I still think Blizzard would have been better served by just leaving him out of that set of missions. he wasn't involved in the other side story lines so it feels kinda strange that they would make him a key player in the one where he outs his boss.

Flying-Emu:

We never actually saw the Xel'Naga, the hybrids may just be nearly as powerful as the Xel'Naga or close enough to them to be considered them, Zerg may have been originally created by the Xel'Naga for the sole purpose of creating the hybrids as weapons of war (actually I think they did say that, it's been a while though).

Kerri probably ate him, or mutated him into a cerebrate, or he's going to be the new boss in the expansion.

Eric the Orange:

Redratson:

Eric the Orange:

Yeah I'm getting a bit confused about this now. I did eventually find and do that mission and now it says I'm missing a mission called "piercing the shroud". I'm starting to think it may be a problem on blizzards end.

"Piercing the Shroud" is a secret mission that is only unlocked by destroying a science facility during the Matt Horner mission "Media Blitz". The building is located in the southeast of the map

Flying-Emu:

That seems more like something for the Zerg installment or even possibly the Protoss.

The real question for me is if these different parts of the story will overlap in time or be one after the other. I am hoping they overlap a bit.

Enigmers:

Flying-Emu:

Create the perfect race.

See? You can't. You'd need to experiment. So do the Xel'Naga.

Exactly, it was revealed various times that the Xel'Naga wanted to create the perfect race, their first attempt was the Protoss which was a failure in their eyes. Their second attempt was the Zerg which was at first considered perfect and then they turned on the Xel'Naga and they had to retreat. I guess they came back and went 'hey let combine the strengths of both these, I mean what could go wrong with that?'

Eric the Orange:

What I reveal may make you cry if not previously realized.

Kuhkren:
snip

Eric the Orange:

Redratson:

Eric the Orange:

That mission I found out today wat u do is go onto the media blitz mission and take ur guys and go to the number 3 station and once past the gate to it take a right past the minerals and you should see a bridge, go across it and detroy a building it should pop out a item called a secret document or w/e pick it up and the mission peircing the shroud should appear on your starmap

Flying-Emu:

What you missed him? He showed up once.

Also I don't think that Hybrids=Xel'Naga, or maybe I missed that.

TerranReaper:

My guess is that Kerrigan still retains some control over the Zerg, after all he still had the, erm, head tentacles so it's easy to figure out that her zergification wasn't completely reversed. Plus it's already been established that anyone with psionic ability can control the zerg to some extent, regardless of race. So an already power Ghost with lingering traces of Zerg biology would conceivably have considerable control, although now also boasting a conscience and free-will from the swarm.

I expect the Expansion will mostly deal with Kerrigan trying to regain some control over the Zerg in order to use them as a defense against whatever might be coming, although now doing battle with the cerebrates which no doubt would have taken control in her absence.

As for Brood Wars, if you read the manual which came with the game there's a full recap of the story in there so Blizz haven't forgotten. Likely they just didn't think much of what happened there was pertinent to Wings of Liberty campaign so they left it out of the pre-game recap.

The Madman:

TerranReaper:

My guess is that Kerrigan still retails some control over the Zerg, after all he still had the, erm, head tentacles so it's easy to figure out that her zergification wasn't completely reversed. Plus it's already been established that anyone with psionic ability can control the zerg to some extent, regardless of race. So an already power Ghost with lingering traces of Zerg biology would conceivably have considerable control, although now also boasting a conscience and free-will from the swarm.

I expect the Expansion will mostly deal with Kerrigan trying to regain some control over the Zerg in order to use them as a defense against whatever might be coming, although now doing battle with the cerebrates which no doubt would have taken control in her absence.

As for Brood Wars, if you read the manual which came with the game there's a full recap of the story in there so Blizz haven't forgotten. Likely they just didn't think much of what happened there was pertinent to Wings of Liberty campaign so they left it out of the pre-game recap.

Maybe Heart of the Swarm begins some time before the ending of Wings of Liberty and you control Kerrigan and her Trusty Zerg Pal Lieutenant, then she gets uninfested and it's up to Trusty Zerg Pal Lieutenant to unite the swarm and get Kerrigan back?

oliveira8:

Maybe Heart of the Swarm begins some time before the ending of Wings of Liberty and you control Kerrigan and her Trusty Zerg Pal Lieutenant, then she gets uninfested and it's up to
rusty Zerg Pal Lieutenant to unite the swarm and get Kerrigan back?

I very much doubt it, but it's a possibility. Besides, if anything I expect the existing cerebrates would celebrate the 'Queen of Blades' demise since as I recall in the Brood Wars campaigns most of them chafed under the influence of this one-time human ordering them around.

Not to mention the Zergs main base of power on Char was just decimated, so they're not exactly in a position of great power anymore.

Still, it's possible.

The Madman:

oliveira8:

Maybe Heart of the Swarm begins some time before the ending of Wings of Liberty and you control Kerrigan and her Trusty Zerg Pal Lieutenant, then she gets uninfested and it's up to
rusty Zerg Pal Lieutenant to unite the swarm and get Kerrigan back?

I very much doubt it, but it's a possibility. Besides, if anything I expect the existing cerebrates would celebrate the 'Queen of Blades' demise since as I recall in the Brood Wars campaigns most of them chafed under the influence of this one-time human ordering them around.

Not to mention the Zergs main base of power on Char was just decimated, so they're not exactly in a position of great power anymore.

Still, it's possible.

If you remember, from the Prophecy missions, Zeratul finds lingering memories of despair when visiting the Overmind's remains. If I'm not mistaken, the Overmind (and thereby all Zerg he created) were thralls of the Xel'Naga. If so, one can assume that Kerrigan's cure (and the regaining of her consciousness) would permit her to break the Zerg from Xel'Naga control.

There may be clues in the next game's title as well. "Heart of the Swarm" may refer to a change in the way the Zerg work: as in, working WITH the Terran and Protoss against a common foe.

I really hope that Blizz is able to capitulate on the tensions that would occur with common marines if forced to fight alongside Hydralisk and Zerglings.

Flying-Emu:

If you remember, from the Prophecy missions, Zeratul finds lingering memories of despair when visiting the Overmind's remains. If I'm not mistaken, the Overmind (and thereby all Zerg he created) were thralls of the Xel'Naga. If so, one can assume that Kerrigan's cure (and the regaining of her consciousness) would permit her to break the Zerg from Xel'Naga control.

There may be clues in the next game's title as well. "Heart of the Swarm" may refer to a change in the way the Zerg work: as in, working WITH the Terran and Protoss against a common foe.

I really hope that Blizz is able to capitulate on the tensions that would occur with common marines if forced to fight alongside Hydralisk and Zerglings.

That's more or less what I was thinking. Kerrigan is now 'out of the cycle' at it were, no longer under the direct influence of the Zerg Swarm but still obviously maintaining some ties to the race if her hairticles are anything to go by. That makes her dangerous since the whole prophecy thing doesn't take Terran into account and now there's one that has the ability to exert some real influence over one of the race that *was* in the prophecy.

Regardless of how things end up turning out, the mere fact we're all here debating the story shows that Blizzard has done a good job telling it so far. Good enough to get us all curious about what comes next anyway.

The Madman:

Regardless of how things end up turning out, the mere fact we're all here debating the story shows that Blizzard has done a good job telling it so far. Good enough to get us all curious about what comes next anyway.

Hell, I plan on preordering Heart of the Swarm as soon as they get something RESEMBLING a release date.

The Madman:

Flying-Emu:

That's more or less what I was thinking. Kerrigan is now 'out of the cycle' at it were, no longer under the direct influence of the Zerg Swarm but still obviously maintaining some ties to the race if her hairticles are anything to go by. That makes her dangerous since the whole prophecy thing doesn't take Terran into account and now there's one that has the ability to exert some real influence over one of the race that *was* in the prophecy.

I thought that Kerrigan was already out of the cycle. That the Overmind created her, because she wouldn't be in Xel'Naga control when he died. Thought that was the whole plan!

Seems to me that if by curing Kerrigan, they broke the Overmind plan. I'm pretty sure that he didn't plan that the Terrans would find some silly artifacts and cure her puppet, so she could lead the Zerg uninfected to aid the protoss and terrans against a higher power. That seems way to convoluted and just to lucky, that she wouldn't just manage to wipe out all life in the universe, or that the protoss and terrans would kill her.

Actually by curing her is what may trigger the apocalypse. With her no longer controlling the Zerg, someone might install a new cerebrate or overmind to lead the Zerg. Someone maybe working for some higher power? Someone like...oh I don't know...Duran? Who is probably a Xel'Naga agent? The same Xel'Naga who are trying to end the universe?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked