Bioshock: Infinite unveiled!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

TheNamlessGuy:

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
I personally think this looks pretty god damn awesome. If I had to guess, I'd say it's some sort of alternate future where Adam gets out to the rest of the world.

Only he wouldn't be born yet.

MY THEORY IS FOOLPROOF.

I know, I know. I hadn't read the synopsis when I said that.

TheTaco007:
I'm a big Bioshock fan, but... Um... what?

Does this have anything to do with the Bioshock series?

Rapture is Columbia fallen into the ocean.
Piece of cookie.

Captain Placeholder:
Oh wow, well that throws my theory right out the window ><

Anyways, I would love to see how this story goes. I have never been more enthralled in a single story since I read the original LotR books :D

You read the LotR books?
Those were soooo dragged out...

Knight of Cydonia:

...and I won't be able to handle all those American flags.

same.
it looks good, but i dont know about the sky thing, i mean thats not exactly very innavative.

TheTaco007:

Maybe it is a prequel and has Andrew Ryan's dad who tells him that sky cities are stupid and underwater cities are the future? Then there is some rebellion and he dies then Andrew Ryan voes to live out his dad's dream? Or maybe the name is just a selling point and has nothing to do with the original... kinda like with Quake and Quake II.

I enjoyed the first game, thought it was damn good. Even though I had the story (And major twist) spoiled for me. I enjoyed the second one too, almost even more than the first one, mostly becasue I didn't have the story spoiled for me. So I'm hopeful for this new installment. Love the new setting, not the new name though, although that can change. Looking at you "project nahtal".

I just feel like the first game was so good, it's hard for any sequel to top it, because even if they're Really good they'll always be compared to the original. It's like with Spore, it might have been fun but since it was developed by the same guy who did "the Sims" it'll get compared to that instead of standing on it's own. Well Yahtzee can't blame Irrational for being uncreative in their new setting. :)
Looking forward to it.

Looks interesting, to be honest without knowing much about it it's hard to say when it's set given that if it's a soceity where someone build "a city in the clouds" at an earlier time period it's conventions might be from an earlier time.

That said, there is nothing at all "Steampunk" about it at all, not one bit of punk to be seen anywhere. Retro-future perhaps, but not Steampunk. I am REALLY beginning to hate the term "Steampunk" and how people throw it around nowadays. I think some people really need to expose themselves to some 1980s culture to get the right idea. Look at some actual punks, or the fashions worn in say "Friday the 13th: The Series" (who were by and large not punks, though a few did show up) to get the idea of how things should look both for ordinary people and punks. Then add the retro-future technology, that should look less like it was riveted together by an old world metal worker, but like it was welded together by some dude with a mohawk and a chainsaw, even if the functionality is similar. That's Steampunk. Not one example of big 80s hair in that entire trailer, and no self respecting punk or even one of the bad guys in that kind of fiction would be wearing suits like the ones you see there which are totally normal from an old time period. Add some leopard or tiger print patterns to it, and put some "Sid and Nancy" on the record player for the guy we saw and he might just barely pass. Take the girl give her some skin tight stirrup pants, a baggy shirt bound off at a waist at a wierd angle by a spiked belt of patent leather, increase her amount of hair x10 billowing around her, add some fingerless lace gloves and then she might pass. Replace what appears to be brass with steel and blackened iron, make the rivets more chaotic and uneven, and greatly reduced in number with a lot of the things instead being held together by very obvious and perhaps intentionally sloppy welds. Remove most of the clear geometic shapes and right angles, and make everything look uneven and a bit off so your eyes scream for having to try and find conventional perspective on things even though upon close examination it all does hold together.... then it would be Steampunk. Or basically redo the entire thing.

Oh yes and the robot needs spikes and extraneous serrated razor blades.

Beautiful cinematic... though I have to say that what textured Bioshock's gameplay was the constant feeling of claustrophobia that only an underwater city like Rapture, or a derelict spaceship, can induce. Also, part of what made System Shock 2 so great was it's horror component. Bioshock tried to capture this, but couldn't quite do it. The setting for this game seems to open... maybe the developers have abandoned the horror aspect of the originals, which is a pity.

AnAngryMoose:
It basically looks like what Bioshock would've looked like if it was Steampunk. Still, it looks good.

Bioshock is not steampunk?

AlternatePFG:
The premise has potential at least.
So I wonder changes they'll make to plasmids, or there will be any plasmids at all.

Agreed. I'll buy it, but it's too early to tell.

If it doesn't involve Andrew Ryan or Rapture then Bioshock it aint. A new name would have been good.

Having said that I am major psyched for this. I loved both Bioshock games and can't wait for more. The Big Daddy mech thing looked cool but did anyone else think that that heart in it looked like a very exploitable weakpoint?

Also in response to TheNamelessGuy's prequel theory it all sounds vaguely plausable apart from the fact that we see the girl using telekinesis (possibly a plasmid) and up until Tennenbaum found the Adam slugs outside Rapture that was something humanity could only dream of.

Having watched that, I'm on that same bandwagon of "this ties into Bioshock.. how?" As a standalone game I'm quite interested by it, but bar a nod towards the concept of plasmids and a redesigned would-be Big Daddy, the game looks nothing like it's related to Bioshock, for the simple reason that the heart and soul of Bioshock is Rapture. I can't help but feel like they're making a mistake by naming this game Bioshock. Rather than giving the game a chance to create a soul of its own, it's going to be forced to try and compete and imitate the one already set. In particular, I'll be stunned if it can tie in all of its lore with the already stated Bioshock lore without tearing it to pieces with retconning.

In saying all of that, this game, as a game, looks very beautiful and could be really fun to play. But as a Bioshock prequel, it's very hard for me to get excited for it in the prospect of it being part of the "Bioshock series".

Captain Placeholder:
...Wow. I have never been more disappointed with the gaming public. Already insulting the game when we have yet to see a SINGLE gameplay video. Jeez people, just wait to see a few videos of how the game will actually play before calling it terrible.

My disappointment also goes out to people when it comes to franchises like this. Here, finally you have a game that tries to do something different (even though mostly in the likes of SS2, but then again SS2 hasn't been done to death like Gears or MW), and all the people that would be complaining about the lack of fresh ideas a second ago will show nothing but contempt now.

Makes me think maybe there is a reason there's 50 million space marine shooters out there, people are just kidding themselves and everyone else around them demanding for something different when all they really want is more of the same.

Anyways, I'm really starting to get tired of "we want SS3" crap too, over 9 years have passed since that game was made. How do you know the third one would be any good? Hell, SS3 might end up sucking far far worse than BS ever did even for all the SS2 fanboys that hated BS, I mean Ken Levine won't be making it, so try wrapping your heads around that.

For instance I've been seeing some gameplay videos of Deus Ex 3, and either than the art style, the gameplay looks like it's going to suck.

Rebellious_Gate:
Also in response to TheNamelessGuy's prequel theory it all sounds vaguely plausable apart from the fact that we see the girl using telekinesis (possibly a plasmid) and up until Tennenbaum found the Adam slugs outside Rapture that was something humanity could only dream of.

Well, it's still about 50 years before they discovered the ADAM slug, so it can't be a plasmid.
Maybe it's just genuine super powers.

Oh, and you spelled my nam wrong.

TheNamlessGuy:

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
I personally think this looks pretty god damn awesome. If I had to guess, I'd say it's some sort of alternate future where Adam gets out to the rest of the world.

Only he wouldn't be born yet.

MY THEORY IS FOOLPROOF.

"He"? as in ADAM? It'd be interesting to see how they got such plasmid-like powers without the little seaslug... or maybe this is an even later sequel. O_O

EDIT: no, apparently it's set in 1912 (check the synopsis). Alternate past it is then!

Sigh... this seems like an unneccessary cash-in.

In the sky? Really?? Can we please just have a system shock 3 instead...

Phenom828:
"He"? as in ADAM? It'd be interesting to see how they got such plasmid-like powers without the little seaslug... or maybe this is an even later sequel. O_O

Oh, sorry, I read it as Andrew.

And no, it's been confirmed to be set in 1912.
I believe it's super powers.

TheNamlessGuy:

Rebellious_Gate:

Well, it's still about 50 years before they discovered the ADAM slug, so it can't be a plasmid.
Maybe it's just genuine super powers.

Oh, and you spelled my nam wrong.

I think I'll need to see how the developers justify the powers before I'll be completely sold on the prequel thing.

And my utmost apologies for the mis-spelling. I know it can be annoying.

At first I was axpecting this to seem like a rushed effort to rake in more money (see: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood) but after seeing that trailer, not to mention the expected release date, I'm really looking forward to this game.

migo:

Diligent:
For some reason even though I knew it wouldn't be, I was hoping it would be system shock 3.
Not too sure why they're sticking with the bioshock name, from the looks of it they may as well just call it something new, but I guess familiarity sells.

They could call it ____Shock. All they need is the Shock name, the Bio doesn't matter. They could do Psychoshock and everyone would know it's the spiritual successor.

lacktheknack:
I don't think this is really Bioshock... they should have made a different _____shock. How about System Shock 3, for crying out loud!

I do find the new location promising, but how about call it "Physicshock" for a more realistic title?

p3t3r:
i think they shouldn't have the bio in the name.
otherwise it looks interesting

How about AeroShock? Seems fitting considering the location.

Rebellious_Gate:
I think I'll need to see how the developers justify the powers before I'll be completely sold on the prequel thing.

And my utmost apologies for the mis-spelling. I know it can be annoying.

Well, it's confirmed to be in 1912, so it HAS to be a prequel.

And no biggie, everyone does it.
I find it funny.

They must have the same fear as Silicon Knights with Eternal Darkness 2 because they should make SystemShock2 instead

What on earth... steampunk flying buildings and people with telekinesis.

I don't know what that has to do with Bioshock but it looks fucking amazing, would it be worth playing Bioshock 2? xD

Aeroshock is a much better name too ^_^

Okay. I thought bioshock was supposed to be dark, scary, and damp, not bright, sweet, and flying. This is really uninteresting for now, unless they make it better.

Judgement101:
They must have the same fear as Silicon Knights with Eternal Darkness 2 because they should make SystemShock2 instead

I thought there was a System Shock 2?

OT: Honestly, this looks pretty good.

HOLY MOTHER OF STEAMPUNK!!

I WANT! NAUW!

I think it looks cool, but I'm disappointed that it's just another Bioshock game (and I LOVED Bioshock). I just wished that after all that build-up, they would be unveiling something totally new. I'll still probably play it, though.

My thoughts seeing the trailer...
Rapture in the sky? Why, were all the floodings making too much of a mess in the sea and posiedon kicked them out? (ADAM and shit all over the place, probably still cleaner than the Black Sea the Gulf of Mexico.)

EDIT: Ah, possible prequel, eh? Maybe organs in robots and full-grown women were the first attempt at the duo we know so well. I think Ryan said "It wasn't impossible to build a city at the bottom of the sea, it was impossible to build it anywhere else." Maybe this was trial and error.

We've seen alien invasions in games, we've seen Nazis using magic, we've seen men fighting gods, and yet there are still people whining that a city in the sky is an unbelievable premise. Seriously, suspend your disbelief and just indulge in how awesome the trailer looks.

mattttherman3:
So instead of under the sea, it's in the air, I very much doubt it is an MMO simply because they should know it would fail horribly

I never thought of it but what if this a first attempt to build rapture. Who says all building were built underwater? What if they were build above ground and then sunk? Maybe anyways nice to have little change of pace.

That was the greatest trailer I have ever seen in my life. If it's Bioshock's level of writing with improved combat I will be, I can't think of a word that encapsulates the sheer positive emotion that brings to me.

Please let this live up to that trailer.

I love Bioshock but they probable should've announced this later. Since BS2 just came out. But at least this wont be out till 2012. I just hope they take time to upgrade the ngine.

Holy crap that got my attention.. looks like it will be a winner

TheNamlessGuy:

TheTaco007:

Rapture is Columbia fallen into the ocean.
Piece of cookie.

Did you pay any attention in Ryan Amusements?

OceanRunner:
Taking Bioshock to the skies is an interesting idea. Plus it seems that we'll be getting a protagonist with a proper name rather than a dull codename and hopefuly a strong personality. The likely omission of Little Sisters would be welcome, as long as they don't just replace them with something else with the same fumction.

Little Sisters are in it, they're seen as an icon of the bioshock series and are going to be in it.

I kind of thought one of the features of Bioshock that made it stand out was the underwater setting. Granted, a floating city is still unique, but I think it would lose some of the claustrophobic atmosphere not being trapped under the sea. Also, how long did it take for them to come up with that name? Please tell me it's just a working title.

TheTaco007:
Did you pay any attention in Ryan Amusements?

I've already pointed out that none of those exhibits actually said he built it from the ground up.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked