84.8% (462)
84.8% (462)
I hope not.
7.5% (41)
7.5% (41)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Is PC gaming going to Die?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

I unno... there was this game called Starcraft 2 that had a few sales.

I guess PC gaming is dying a slow painful death if it doesn't make enough money.

Oh, and Steam. Yep, losing money.

PC in the end is the default system, eventually gaming consoles are going to become more and more like PCs, so if anything it's the only form of gaming that will survive.

in short no in long noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

May not be as big a thing as it used to be but there aint a chance of it dying out

The true answer is yes...

"In a few billion years, the sun will collapse in on itself, and the Earth will freeze."

Then, PC gaming will perish.

PC Gaming will never die as long as there are pricks who consider the PC to be the master race and think of every other console as inferior in every conceivable aspect.

And I'll tell you now, there are a ton of them.

Yes, it will die. It just depends how long it takes to 'die'... my guess is... a couple decades.

Never gonna happen. Their is a totally legitimate point concerning the price and skills necessary to enable pc gaming, but those who hear the call have clearly demonstrated their capability to overcome these obstacles. The many things offered by Pc gaming (such as nearly infinite customization in game appearance, game play mods, dedicated servers, easy purchasing system) are currently either not offered by consoles or offered in a very limited capacity (live marketplace). The nature of indie programming combined with the multiplayer communities forms its own unique experience, one I enjoy immensely.

That said, I do own all 3 consoles and play 2 of them regularly (mainly for single player though).

I hope not. Every game I've ever played has always seemed better on the PC, especially FPSs because of the mouse and keyboard controls.

If anything, console gaming will die. Consoles will become more and more PC like.

Gibsonfirebird12:

"In a few billion years, the sun will collapse in on itself, and the Earth will freeze."

Necrobumping is bad. I realise that was your first post, but leave six month old discussions alone.

I don't think it physically could die, there will always be a form of PC and people will always make or want games for them.

Defense:
PC Gaming will never die as long as there are pricks who consider the PC to be the master race and think of every other console as inferior in every conceivable aspect.

You know, since it bothers people like you so much, I may just become an elitist for the fun of it. Or you could grow up, learn that that's a minority, stop acting like there aren't twats playing on the consoles and that the platform will still be alive.

OT: Not any time soon, and I dare say they'll outlast the traditional concept of consoles.

is there even anything that indicates PC gaming it's going out any time soon? I mean if anything the market is stronger than ever with the release of all those casual games, and the fact that buying indie video games has become popular and PC is the one with the most probably and all the freaking MMO's so pleas just stop asking that question I'm sick of hearing it, it does not even make any sense.

Woodsey:

Defense:

You know, since it bothers people like you so much, I may just become an elitist for the fun of it. Or you could grow up, learn that that's a minority, stop acting like there aren't twats playing on the consoles and that the platform will still be alive.

OT: Not any time soon, and I dare say they'll outlast the traditional concept of consoles.

Please tell me where I said PC elitists were the majority.

Nope. PC gaming is more mainstream now than it's ever been (...and I preferred it as a niche. It was my niche, dammit!). Just because it hit a plateau and stopped growing does not mean it's "dying".

Not a chance.

It really is the superior platform when all is said and done. It's the most versatile, and it's the only platform that pushes the rest of the industry forward (on it's hands and knees).

The Witcher, a PC exclusive and a supposed "sleeper hit", has sold about 1.5 million copies worldwide, and it's a niche RPG. Amnesia, a short horror made by an indie developer, sold a quarter million copies so far, and it doesn't even have a publisher.

I won't even get into the fact that MMOs only exist on the PC, of which, dominate the market financially in ALL OF GAMING EVER. Even if it's dominated by a small few.

If all consoles have going for them is a camera that takes pictures of you and your children in their underwear, and a wand with a glowing ball on the end, then I'd say, No the PC is not dying.

(Let's also not forget, that "consoles" are now, quite literally, budget PCs with peripherals. Overpriced at that.)

Defense:

Woodsey:

Defense:

It was your implication after saying it'll never die given elitists. Platforms don't stay alive because of a small group of people who like it, no matter how much they sing it's praises above the other platforms, or how prickish they are about doing it.

Woodsey:

Defense:

Woodsey:

It was your implication after saying it'll never die given elitists. Platforms don't stay alive because of a small group of people who like it, no matter how much they sing it's praises above the other platforms, or how prickish they are about doing it.

Nintendo still stayed in the game after the Gamecube and N64, especially considering the ass kicking that Sony gave them back then. Don't tell me it was mainly their third party titles that kept them loyal back then.

Sorry if I implied that PC elitists were the majority, but it always ends up looking like this.

The trouble with threads like these is that there are only really two kinds of respondents:

a) PC gamers who, obviosuly, don't think the platform will die

b) People who don't or can't PC game, and who therefore don't really care. I'm in this group. Now, that doesn't mean I *want* PC gaming to die, or that it wouldn't be a shame if *either* PC or console gaming dies (loss of variety is always bad), but really, PC gaming already mostly died for me, because I can't afford to upgrade my PC to play the newest games on decent settings, or at all.

So I guess, personally, I can't really tell if PC gaming is dying, although I lament the emphasis PC gaming these days seems to have on on online multiplayer experiences. I've always preferred local co-op/multiplayer. As in people sitting in the same room. But that's just me, it seems... =P

nah it won't die. PC gaming is a totally different experience as to console gaming so a their will always be console gamers and pc gamers

will never die i dont think, not in my lifetime anyway

Gibsonfirebird12:

You DID read the rules on how thread necros are frown upon right?

Hehe, the poll shows no suprises considering the place. I donīt think PC gaming will die of entirely, but i do think it will merge more seemlessly with the console and other medias around home. To the point where you donīt care if you turn on the power on the console, tv or pc the outcome will be exactly the same.

I don't care but I don't like a lot of the PC gamers I know who think I'm below them because I use a mac and I'm mainly a console gamer.

Defense:
Nintendo still stayed in the game after the Gamecube and N64, especially considering the ass kicking that Sony gave them back then. Don't tell me it was mainly their third party titles that kept them loyal back then.

Sorry if I implied that PC elitists were the majority, but it always ends up looking like this.

Well the n64 was far from a failure. It didn't have anything like the sales of the Playstation, but it turned a decent profit so it was worth following up. The Gamecube didn't seem to do so well. Nintendo didn't exactly 'stay in the game'; they stayed in the console business, but stopped competing directly with Sony and Microsoft. They found a niche, and remain the only game in town. For now, anyway. I doubt either of their competitors will dislodge them; things like Kinect and Move may be similar in execution, but Playstations and Xboxen are still things for young adults who like driving and shooting. Not many people's grandparents are going to go out and buy those consoles.

Also yeah, thread necro, it really wasn't necessary to dig up this thread to tell people that some dude on the internet doesn't like being patronised on the internet. If you'd had something to add then it would have been fine. People would still have got angry about it, but if you'd made a new thread those people would also have sarcastically directed you to the search bar. They don't like you posting in old threads, but what they really hate is new threads.

Yes....yes it will in fact its already dead it has been dead for years!

no its not everyone knows that

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked