Choices of controller types in Wii games.

This thought runs through my mind every time I get a new Wii game, Why don't they allow for at least the choice of classic or GC controller (in some games).

The subject this time is Metroid: other M. I would like to put a disclaimer here and say that I am enjoying the game a lot. And despite what I am going to say the regular controls aren't that bad.

I'll list off the controls first. I have yet to beat the game or get all the items so I'm only listing what I know so far.

First off the game plays in 3rd and 1st person modes. In 3rd person mode, the 3 face buttons, jump, shoot, and morphball (and map/options screen.). movement is controlled with the D-pad. Point the Wii mote up and hold A to recharge health and missiles. Press the D-pad just before being hit to dodge. Point the Wii mote at the screen to go into 1st person mode.

In first person mode the controls are. move the Wii mote to move aiming cursor. Press A to fire. Hold R to scan and R+Wii mote movement to change view. R+Wii mote movement to the side just before being hit to dodge.

I have 4 points on this control scheme. One I feel that the basic 3rd person controls part is trying to emulate a 3D beat 'em up style in the style of God of War or indeed Ninja Gaiden. But they are working with much less buttons than a 360 or Ps3 controller. For example the "press D-pad right before being hit to dodge" feels like the dodge move in say Bayonetta. But instead of the usual "use right thumb stick" or "shoulder button+left thumb stick" they had to work with what they had. And while there solution is adequate, when ever you leave things up to the game (in this case only being able to dodge when an attack is near by) you take freedom away from the player.

number 2 using a D-pad with 8 directions to move around a full 3D environment feels kind of clunky. Perhaps I've just been spoiled by thumb sticks. It's not a big complaint though.

3rd point being that the 3rd person combat is largely auto aim based. Now don't get me wrong you need it to be auto aim based unless your going to make Samus melee all her enemies. But When you leave prioritizing enemies to the game they may not choose what you want. Thinking about it though this point isn't the controllers fault, but rather just a small gripe with the game.

And lastly the whole transition between 3rd to 1st perspectives by pointing at the screen feels awkward to me. Perhaps I'll get more used to it as the game progresses. but trying to do that in a tense combat situation is so far not working out very well.

OK after that wall of text lets talk about how this could easily be adapted to a classic or GC controller.

In 3rd person mode the controls would be. Left thumb stick for movement. 3 face buttons do shoot, jump and morphball (and start for map/options). 4th face button for recharge. 1 shoulder button to change to 1st person view. The other shoulder button+left thumb stick to dodge.

In first person view. left thumb stick for aim. Right thumb stick for view change. Face button to shoot. Another face button for scan (probably the same one that was jump in 3rd person mode).

I believe this control scheme would work perfectly fine for the game.

That being said, I don't think that the current control scheme is that bad. But rather that the choice should be given for those that would want to use it.

What are your thoughts on this and the games controls in general.

(sorry for going on a bit long, my topics usually aren't this big.)

I think their should be a choice in control set-up

Now im even more excited for this game.

Anywho, back to topic.

I hear ya, i remember reading a Review in Nintendo Power where the idea of alternate Control schemes was thrown around during Other M's development but was quickly shot down by Either Sakamoto or the Head Developer at Team ninja(I cant remember who it was).
And im not sure why.

the reason was because that they had a certain way they wanted to make the game, and they didn't want to compromise the Feeling by Adding in other control layouts.

I kinda get what they are saying but, the controls of the game only immerse me so much.
But i figure that many games don't allow the alternate control layouts on the wii because the developers felt that only one layout was needed and it worked the best.

The reason for the NES-style controls in Other M is because Sakamoto wanted the game to be a 2.5D-like experience (Think NSMBWii or LittleBigPlanet). Team Ninja disagreed, saying they wanted the game to have some 3D segments. The compromise was that the game would have 3D segments, but you'd only get to use the NES-style controls.

As for the initial point, it's definitely nice to have multiple control options for certain games. Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom and Monster Hunter Tri worked best with a Classic Controller IMO, and the upcoming Goldeneye remake is wisely supporting every reasonable form of control. There's still games that work best with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk setup (Sin & Punishment and most Wii FPS' come to mind), but it still can't hurt to have multiple types of control.

Well, the fact that I haven't touched my Wii in years might have something to do with me not remembering what each of the buttons were.
But yeah, I agree. Optiamally, the developers would allow the player to indivually map out each of their controls. That could potentially make things a lot easier, and a lot more fun.

the only wii shooter i have found fun at all, is house of the dead overkill, which was because it was a railshooter, simple, yet soooo much fun with a friend, straight up played that game for 5 hours straight just shooting away.

i really do wish i could just use my gc controller for all wii games though =\

gmaverick019:
the only wii shooter i have found fun at all, is house of the dead overkill, which was because it was a railshooter, simple, yet soooo much fun with a friend, straight up played that game for 5 hours straight just shooting away.

i really do wish i could just use my gc controller for all wii games though =\

Yep. It's why mine has sat unused for over 2 years. Such a shame, the GC controller was loads better than the wii thing for the majority of games.

Mr. Fister:
The reason for the NES-style controls in Other M is because Sakamoto wanted the game to be a 2.5D-like experience (Think NSMBWii or LittleBigPlanet). Team Ninja disagreed, saying they wanted the game to have some 3D segments. The compromise was that the game would have 3D segments, but you'd only get to use the NES-style controls.

ah, that would explain a few things. though I do have to congratulate them for doing a decent job of setting up a 6 button st up on a 3 button controller.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked