Why Can't I Connect To Steam?

i just got my internet to work this morning and i was hoping to finally play mafia 2. but no, steam decides "hey, lets piss this guy off and not connect". my internet is working fine and the steam server is up, so why can't i connect to steam and finally play a game i've been waiting a long time for?

P.S. this is why i hate steam. a lot of games today require steam to play. but if you dont have the internet or if you're not connected, you cant install them or play them. fuck you, steam.

Try uninstalling then reinstalling it. Make sure to delete the folder it resides in, too. I've had to do that recently and it worked out fine.

I don't know. I've been on Steam all day with no issues at all. I hope you fix it soon though, I finished Mafia II this morning and it's, quite frankly, the best game I've ever played.

Aby_Z:
Try uninstalling then reinstalling it. Make sure to delete the folder it resides in, too. I've had to do that recently and it worked out fine.

But that will take ages, especially to reinstall the games.

Really? You hate an online digital distribution platform because you have to be online when you download games from it? That makes total sense.

However, steam does have the problem of not always wanting to connect. You'll simply have to wait until it decides that it wants to work again.

SpireOfFire:
i just got my internet to work this morning and i was hoping to finally play mafia 2. but no, steam decides "hey, lets piss this guy off and not connect". my internet is working fine and the steam server is up, so why can't i connect to steam and finally play a game i've been waiting a long time for?

P.S. this is why i hate steam. a lot of games today require steam to play. but if you dont have the internet or if you're not connected, you cant install them or play them. fuck you, steam.

Did you check why it wasn't able to access the internet? Such as the firewall or reinstalling Steam.

If you don't want to re-download the game simply drag out the entire game folder and then re-add it afterwards.

Occasionally it coughs, i find it mostly happens if you do not close steam before you shutdown your computer but i cant claim it as fact.

Just wait and click in a while, it'll work then, go Forum posting for a while.

Hubilub:
You'll simply have to wait until it decides that it wants to work again.

Offer it ice cream! Steam likes ice cream.

Need more details then that.

Does a message come up or what?

Cpt_Oblivious:
I don't know. I've been on Steam all day with no issues at all. I hope you fix it soon though, I finished Mafia II this morning and it's, quite frankly, the best game I've ever played.

Aby_Z:

But that will take ages, especially to reinstall the games.

Perhaps it's because I don't have very many games, but it didn't take very long at all to reinstall everything for me. Steam, at least, was back up and working in a jiffy.

Really, if your only choice is between it not working, or simply not being able to play a game for about a day, I think the choice is rather obvious.

Hubilub:
Really? You hate an online digital distribution platform because you have to be online when you download games from it? That makes total sense.

However, steam does have the problem of not always wanting to connect. You'll simply have to wait until it decides that it wants to work again.

i hate it because it never works when i want it to. i already have mafia 2 but fuckin steam wont install it if it wont connect.

Cpt_Oblivious:

Hubilub:
You'll simply have to wait until it decides that it wants to work again.

Offer it ice cream! Steam likes ice cream.

Wouldn't it melt it? Because steam's like, hot and stuff?

That was bad, I apologise.

Ever since some update or other Steam inexplicably does not function for me unless I have DMZ off in the router settings. I'm not sure how open ports would make Steam unhappy, but the moral of the story is there could be pretty much ANY reason for Steam to not want to work.

i get a window that says "you are not currently connected to the internet (bullshit) or that your internet connection is not configured correctly for steam."

the first part is bullshit, how do i fix the 2nd part?

Same here. I was psyked to see Magicka on Impulse, thought the third party client was something other than steam. Now I have to try and get steam to work to install it. NO luck whatsoever, doesn't help that I have to use my boarding School's internet which is slow.
I hate steam with a passion because: I am forced to use it because my favorite games decide to only come out on steam, I am constantly forced to use it because games I buy at the store have miniscule writing saying that I have to use steam; Steam constantly tries to update my games but yknow what? Maybe I don't want to spend my precious internet on downloading and installing a new patch! Maybe I signed in just so i could play this game during my meager free time! And finally: I have never been able to download or install any steam game without a hassle. Ever. It's always: do you remember your account? We can't connect to the network. Try reinstalling. Oh, we managed to install but now we MUST update steam....
To hell with the UPDATES I want to play my game!! :(.

Sooo yeah, that's why I hate steam. If you have absolutely no problems with steam, and it works for you like impulse works for me, then I can see your point. For me however it doesn't. And before someone posts "You can turn updates off" I have tried several times, but that doesn't often work and when I have just installed a game, eager to play it, steam decides that THIS GAME has to be updated NOW!
Impulse ftw, if it hadn't sold itself to become Steam's b****.

SpireOfFire:

Fault is on your end if steam is operating fine on their end. I'd suggest checking your firewall settings, or your router settings if you use one.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked