Nintendo Sends Copyright Notices to Pokemon Fansites

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fansites_served_with_copyright_infringement_notices

What. The. Hell.

I don't get it. How does posting screenshots of an upcoming game have "the potential to cause substantial damage to Nintendo"? Can someone please explain this to me?

I think that they're overreacting. It's not like they're charging people to see the pictures! It's free publicity for Pokemon Black and White! I would take this as a GOOD thing! Maybe I'm weird, though.

supersupersuperguy:
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fansites_served_with_copyright_infringement_notices

What. The. Hell.

I don't get it. How does posting screenshots of an upcoming game have "the potential to cause substantial damage to Nintendo"? Can someone please explain this to me?

I think that they're overreacting. It's not like they're charging people to see the pictures! It's free publicity for Pokemon Black and White! I would take this as a GOOD thing! Maybe I'm weird, though.

leaking all of the pokemon in a new game before nintendo has the chance to advertise around them certainly does cross the line

Altorin:
leaking all of the pokemon in a new game before nintendo has the chance to advertise around them certainly does cross the line

If I ran the show, I would think of this as "Oh, hey, less money that I have to spend on advertising."

Yeah. I'd hate to get free publicity, and advertising done for me. I'd much rather spend money on those goofy twins from the disney channel do really bad commercials for me. Free is so last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oSN1oSiHMc

becuase then people get excited about something and it doesnt happen, and then they get swamped with hate mail, or have to hear about how things arnt there when they never said there would be.

Substantial damages my ass. That's free advertising for them.

Edit: Looks like it may be a fake letter though.

emeraldrafael:
becuase then people get excited about something and it doesnt happen, and then they get swamped with hate mail, or have to hear about how things arnt there when they never said there would be.

Like "tales of" fans in the US still waiting on vesperia for the ps3?

The validity of the letters do appear to be in question. If you scroll a little bit down, it is explained.
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:ArchaicBeachPost.png

supersupersuperguy:

It's free publicity for Pokemon Black and White!

THAT would be the thing that throws me.

They aren't using the pictures to make money.

The sites are also, imo, generating the best KIND of advertisement a game of this sort can garner... HYPE!

The game is released in Japan, how much legal power can they have? I remember reading about and seeing screenshots for FF 13 after it's release in Japan but before it's release here. Same with Dragon Quest IX. SE didn't whine that I know of.

It's like if I took a game that I legally bought that wasn't released in Europe and put pictures I took of it online and talked about it online. I wouldn't be breaking any laws.

Oh come on nintendo, don't be pulling this shit on your fans.

linkzeldi:

I think you have it the other way around. I mean...Nintendo isn't earning anything from the leaks. That's bullshit on the "fans" part. They are hurting Nintendo because of it.

NEDM:

emeraldrafael:

Like "tales of" fans in the US still waiting on vesperia for the ps3?

I guess. I'm not a fan of the "tales of" series, so i have no idea and dont follow them.

So how come bulbagarden hasn't got one yet..? They're like the biggest pokemon fan site thingy.

So I do have to question the validity of the emails considering they aren't written with proper grammar, and secondly as long as they aren't profiting doesn't this still fall under Fair Use?

I mean, what if I imported a game of Pokemon Black, recorded a video of it, and uploaded it to youtube while talking about it, are they going to try to DCMA me?

Aura Guardian:

linkzeldi:

I think you have it the other way around. I mean...Nintendo isn't earning anything from the leaks. That's bullshit on the "fans" part. They are hurting Nintendo because of it.

How exactly are they hurting nintendo?

spectrenihlus:

Aura Guardian:

linkzeldi:

He said it best.

Altorin:

Not to mention those "fans" have leaked Roms for Black and White.

This looks dodgy. As I read on the site it wasn't sent by "The Pokemon Company.Inc" Therefore I'm not sure they're lawfully obligated to ahere to this, Texas? What? Since when have Nintendo worked out of Texas? Especially since Serebii.net arguably the leader site in Pokemon info is based in the UK. It would be harrowing to launch a case against all these fan sites in different legal courts across this globe.

Nintendo have never gone above and beyond to see their products not advertised by fans. The only time they've ever gone "Okay guys uhhh... Making whole new games with our stuff... not cool, stop please" And even then it's only ever been an 'official notice OR we will contact a lawyer'.

This smells of dodgy in all its foul forms.

Aura Guardian:

spectrenihlus:

Aura Guardian:

linkzeldi:

He said it best.

Altorin:

And the Black & White AP prevents you from gaining experience, unless you use a rare candy patch. :p. Besides the amount of CPU it takes up is almost 100% on most computers.

The wonders of Youtube will teach you everything ^_^.

Aura Guardian:

spectrenihlus:

Aura Guardian:

linkzeldi:

He said it best.

Altorin:

Wait so knowing what the Pokemon look like before Nintendo has a chance to release it will hurt sales somehow? This is Pokemon for Arceus's sake I think people have made up there minds on whether they are going to buy it or not, and concerning pirated roms, again I ask you how does knowing the pokemon in advance affect the pirating of the game?

"Very truly yours"? "Your activity also and has the potential to cause substantial damage to..."?
What kind of legal babble is this? Or is it... Some kind of...
FABRICATION?!

spectrenihlus:

Aura Guardian:

spectrenihlus:

Aura Guardian:

linkzeldi:

He said it best.

Altorin:

Wait so knowing what the Pokemon look like before Nintendo has a chance to release it will hurt sales somehow?
well...See that advertisement? It showed little of the new 4th gen not enough to spoil it but just enough.
This is Pokemon for Arceus's sake I think people have made up there minds on whether they are going to buy it or not, and concerning pirated roms, again I ask you how does knowing the pokemon in advance affect the pirating of the game?

Well from the thousands of bulletins I see on youtube about the new sprites,new gameplay and stuff, they say they cannot wait. So my recent activity is full of people favoriting videos about links to download it.

Update to the thread: Apparently the letters served to these fansites have a good possibility of being REAL. Pokebeach and Serebii, the two sites issued with Cease & Desists, have both contacted the lawyer, and unless the lawyer is an incredibly talented fraud this is a huge crackdown by Nintendo, despite there being no action taken by them beforehand. This is a huge WTF on the part of Nintendo, especially on a weekend and with such a severe C&D.

I've been reading about this for a day now. It appears these letters are, in fact, real. Some people speculate that it might be because of ROM usage, since Pokebeach and Serebii.net apparently used them. Others blame it on the Spanish Magazine's leak. The lawyer in question is also employed by a firm that Nintendo uses. So, yeah, this is legit and Nintendo may be really giving the fans a huge middle finger...

...Unless it is because these fansites upload material from ROMs. Nintendo totally has reason to C&D them in that case.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked