Man Builds a Computer Inside Minecraft

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Basically some random person with an interest in Computer Science has managed to build a WORKING ALU (arithmetic logic unit) within Minecraft, it can add numbers together which may seem pretty simple to start with, but this is pretty much how computing first started out, and an ALU is still a critical component of all CPUs today, since pretty much everything a computer does is math at some level. On top of that he has plans to expand it and build a fully functional "hack" computing system that will be able to understand base level machine code and run like a normal computer, all from within the game...

I've just finished watching the video and I must say, building something like that in Minecraft is absolutely insane and fucking incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkkyKZVzug&hd=1

He was also mentioned on Kotaku and Bit-Tech:

http://kotaku.com/5650027/man-builds-computer-inside-computer-game

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/09/30/16-bit-math-alu-made-in-minecraft/

I'm not sure if that's already better than the lifesized Enterprise-D. However, both projects really make me want to play minecraft as both are impressive as hell.

That is probably the most ridiculous thing in the entire universe. And it only makes me love Minecraft more to know that someone's done something so completely fucking insane with it.

Wow, thats rather impressive

That is completely and utterly amazing. I wish i could have the time and patience to build something like that.

im...im really impressed by this, though i dident really see what it did

I saw it the other day ... No idea what the hell he was talking about though, impressive none the less.

That reminds me of a book I've read and don't know the name of anymore. In a future when humanity has bombed itself back into the renaissance, they basically build a giant computer that can give tactical prognoses just by having a huge amount of slaves solving simple equations and adding them up.

Also, I curse my lack of creativity when it comes to building stuff, I'd love to play around with that game for a bit.

This kind of new makes me want to both play minecraft and yet be afraid of it's power.

Amazing!

Am I supposed to say something more?
I don't think I can. Mind blown.

Didn't someone do something similar in Garrys Mod?

That. Was. Bloody impressive. I have no idea what he's talking about, but VERY impressive nonetheless.

O_O dang that is quite impressive. :D

Always A Fez:

I was thinking that. There's the PC mod which allows you to create a laptop/desktop which functions similar to Windows, and you can set up speakers and play music, write note documents etc, but I've been on some servers where people actually create a PC using wire mod. I imagine you'd have to use expression gates and stuff like that though, which is stupidly hard. The most complicated thing I can build is a hologram using wire, but even that's difficult for me and I don't even touch the expression gates.

OT: That's impressive, I enjoy watching people take things beyond the game and intelligently creating things like this.

Somebody's been reading xkcd

Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of was...

'Yo Dawg I heard you like computers so we're gonna put a computer in your computer so you can compute as your compute'.

???

Well yeah, unless you have idea about in depth electronics and forging circuit boards you will have trouble understanding that, but that's what it is, ALU is a circuit board used for calculations within a processor, current CPUs are of course much more advanced, but that's how things started.
Pretty impressive and almost the size of first computers! <.<

Wow..

Just...

Wow.

Speechless.

No! We must destroy it, or else Minecraft shall become the new Cyberdine!

Nyaugha-heiya! /Ahnold Impression

How is that possible? Really, how did he make a functioning out of the computer equivlent of Legos?

Oh well, well done I say.

Jasper Jeffs:

Always A Fez:

I was thinking that. There's the PC mod which allows you to create a laptop/desktop which functions similar to Windows, and you can set up speakers and play music, write note documents etc, but I've been on some servers where people actually create a PC using wire mod. I imagine you'd have to use expression gates and stuff like that though, which is stupidly hard. The most complicated thing I can build is a hologram using wire, but even that's difficult for me and I don't even touch the expression gates.

The difference is though (as far as I'm aware) is that unlike GMOD, Minecraft has no logic functions, so while in GMOD it might be hard to set up each component to perform properly and communicate properly, here he actually had to build the entire logic processing function from scratch within the Minecraft "physics", it's basically like taking a giant semi-conductor and then physically building an early CPU architecture onto it, only within a game...

Which just makes it even more impressive. O_O

Scars Unseen:
Somebody's been reading xkcd

Win! They are kindred spirits, only the one guy just though about it. The other one is trying to build it in Minecraft. MINECRAFT!!!!

As long as he doesn't try to create never-ending fire inside his ALU.

Funkysandwich:
As long as he doesn't try to create never-ending fire inside his ALU.

ROFL!

"Shit, I burned down my computer..." :P

Wow that is intense. I wonder how many hours that took...?

Hehe. I approve. This is some cool stuff. Also the comic was great :D

Wait... The laws of robotics are, as we know, cast-iron. But... What about the robotic laws of robotics? THIS COMPUTER WILL HAVE NO LAWS!
We have to stop the creation of this evil thing, and fast.

Impressive.

I'm waiting for a genius like this to come over to the Escapist server.

Wow...That guy likes computers. He likes comuters so much he built a computer in his computer so he can work in bainary in binary. Xibit would approve.

I wonder if you had long enough you could simulate a computer with a minecraft computer. That would be intense.

This guy and the Chipophone guy should get together.

Eh, it was done in Dwarf Fortress a while ago. Regardless it's still extremely impressive.

Tattaglia:
Eh, it was done in Dwarf Fortress a while ago. Regardless it's still extremely impressive.

What?? Isn't that a text based game?? How is that possible?

Wolfram01:

Tattaglia:

What?? Isn't that a text based game?? How is that possible?

It's not actually text, it's pretty much ASCII and you can get graphical tile-sets to replace it with something that doesn't make your head explode.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49641.0

There's a picture of the entire thing somewhere on that thread.

Right so in the video there's red crap everywhere.

What is the cpu powered by the BLOOD OF ORPHANS?!

Very impressive, and yet so worrying.

Where and why did he find the time for this? A hobby's a hobby, and I'm not to call anyone "sad" or "pathetic", but this seems a little too involved to be a hobby

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here