All yours Guild Wars 2. *Information Topic* 48 HOUR PUBLIC BETA SIGN UP!!!! 2/22/2012

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Korten12:

2xDouble:
I'd also like to post up a couple of nifty points of view as to why the GW2 professions are different than, say, WoW or SWTOR classes. in this article, the author sympathizes with us as to how difficult it is to explain that GW2 is really and truly DIFFERENT. That and why it's so hard for "some people" to comprehend what's going on.

Also, pretty much every question asked in the thread that has been unanswered so far, is addressed in the ANet PAX East Panel, I strongly invite anyone who has questions or is extremely confused about what exactly GW2 is to watch it. Warning, very long. The video about an hour, but every second is worth it (even the new manifesto video at the beginning).

Gave wrong PAx east link, its the same as the first link you gave. :(

My bad, Here's the right one, also fixed the original. Warning again: the video is an hour long.

2xDouble:

Korten12:

2xDouble:
I'd also like to post up a couple of nifty points of view as to why the GW2 professions are different than, say, WoW or SWTOR classes. in this article, the author sympathizes with us as to how difficult it is to explain that GW2 is really and truly DIFFERENT. That and why it's so hard for "some people" to comprehend what's going on.

Also, pretty much every question asked in the thread that has been unanswered so far, is addressed in the ANet PAX East Panel, I strongly invite anyone who has questions or is extremely confused about what exactly GW2 is to watch it. Warning, very long. The video about an hour, but every second is worth it (even the new manifesto video at the beginning).

Gave wrong PAx east link, its the same as the first link you gave. :(

My bad, Here's the right one, also fixed the original. Warning again: the video is an hour long.

thats fine, I watched the last one that was an hour long, don't mind one bit. :)

Scarim Coral:
As you can tell from my Avatar, I as a fan of GW just as anyone on this thread so I'm glad I saw this thread. I been checking GW2 Wiki and Guild War 2 on youtube for the updates but yeah it's been quiet lately.
I really hoping that the Assassin will be in Guild Wars 2 or be under a new name.

I know that you made this post last year, but seeing it beside your new avatar was just hilarious.

Bit more news for the info thread: Artists Kekai Kotaki (again) and Richard Anderson have won gold medals at this year's "Spectrum 18" awards. The Spectrum 18 Awards recognize excellence in sci-fi and fantasy artwork.

ANet blog post with links for more details here.

2xDouble:
Bit more news for the info thread: Artists Kekai Kotaki (again) and Richard Anderson have won gold medals at this year's "Spectrum 18" awards. The Spectrum 18 Awards recognize excellence in sci-fi and fantasy artwork.

ANet blog post with links for more details here.

Nice to see them winning more awards, their art work is truly stunning. The Art Book, is just amazing to read through.

Also I finished the conference video you posted, it was epic...

Arena just released the next profession, the commando

BabySinclair:
Arena just released the next profession, the commando

Saw that, lol, that is great. XD One of the best jokes of april 2011.

Updated the races. :)

This thread is like a cocktease. It has caused my mouse to turn blue too many times.

Savagezion:
This thread is like a cocktease. It has caused my mouse to turn blue too many times.

What do you mean?

This game looks amazing, if it can deliver on 70% of what its claiming it to be i will with out a doubt be playing.

updated with new class!

Hooray, my secret wish about an Engineer -like class has actually come true!

I am sick of rangers having pets... I just want to be a lone badass with a bow. I don't need a furry pet to help me kill when my arrow flys through the air at a range and strikes my enemy before it knows what happened.

A ranger should be able to fire an arrow at a distance and if the target closes in, they should also be competent in close combat albeit maybe a bit weaker. BAH, looks like imma be a Necromancer.

Fixed it.

I wonder how many TF2 references they'll have in GW2.

Wow, the engineer looks beyond boring. I'm not sure how they managed that to be honest. I'm looking forward to GW2 but I'm not sure how they managed to make a Warrior look 300x as much fun as an engineer.

Engineer sounds so unbelievably shit.

It's Guild Wars, not Team Fortress.

Okay one thing I'm not sure about is the combat. I've read all the stuff and what not but I'm still a bit confused. Specifically I want to know is the combat a point and click thing? Like in World of Warcraft it's select a target, select a skill, blah blah blah. Or is it more of an aiming thing where you have a targeting reticule or something along those lines. Cause if there is one thing I hate about MMO's it's the boring Pick a Target, Pick a Skill, Watch all the effects and feel like you aren't actually doing anything.

I don't get the hate for the engineer, being able to lay down mines, turrets and toss grenades like a madman looks fairly fun, though I prefer a more personal involvement in conflict most of the time excluding "defend this" scenarios. Then I rather like being able to build a variety of defenses and cackle madly as the enemy bumbles into them.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Frozengale:
Okay one thing I'm not sure about is the combat. I've read all the stuff and what not but I'm still a bit confused. Specifically I want to know is the combat a point and click thing? Like in World of Warcraft it's select a target, select a skill, blah blah blah. Or is it more of an aiming thing where you have a targeting reticule or something along those lines. Cause if there is one thing I hate about MMO's it's the boring Pick a Target, Pick a Skill, Watch all the effects and feel like you aren't actually doing anything.

Some skills are select target and then activate skill while some are ground targeted skills, requiring you to select the ability and then choose where to use it. There is no auto-attack, though you can assign an ability to do so. They've made the classes more mobile to static fights should happen less.

As for the engineer-hate, I think it's the name. Personally, I'll be playing a trapper-alt to my Guardian-main using rifle with mines and grenades, pulling people to me and laughing as they explode.

Added more stuff. :D

Oh I'm definitely using my engineer's Flamethrower Kit (real skill) to throw down a Wall of Napalm (real skill!), using Backdraft (another real skill) to pull an enemy through it, then using Air Blast (yup, that too) to push him back though the flames again... so much fun...

And seriously hoping one of the Engy's underwater Kits is a mini sub.

Also, I'm thinking maybe we should just start a new thread every time there's major news, and link back to the older ones for references...

2xDouble:
Oh I'm definitely using my engineer's Flamethrower Kit (real skill) to throw down a Wall of Napalm (real skill!), using Backdraft (another real skill) to pull an enemy through it, then using Air Blast (yup, that too) to push him back though the flames again... so much fun...

And seriously hoping one of the Engy's underwater Kits is a mini sub.

Also, I'm thinking maybe we should just start a new thread every time there's major news, and link back to the older ones for references...

Hm... So like, each time there is new news. We post a new thread and on the first post say something like:

If you want to see other Guild Wars info look at this topic: (then post the link to this thread.)

Korten12:
Hm... So like, each time there is new news. We post a new thread and on the first post say something like:

If you want to see other Guild Wars info look at this topic: (then post the link to this thread.)

Something like that, but part of the OP. Transfer the graphic at the top, name the links according to their relevant topics, dates, and whatever, and just add the new information for discussion. That's how I pictured it anyway...

Can't wait to add all of the PVP info. :D

I haven't played GW1, but I'm definitely trying this. I like it when a developer puts out a lot of info and videos about their game because it shows that they are confident about their content (same reason I'm excited for Arkham City).

Based on what I see I'm going to make a Asura engineer to be predictable and a Charr necromancer to be spontaneous. I do wonder if picking a certain race will impact your character stats, but those are my choices for now :D

BoredDragon:
I do wonder if picking a certain race will impact your character stats, but those are my choices for now :D

I can answer that:

Race does not affect your stats. Races do have special racial skills, but they are pretty much "flavor only" and are generally weaker than comparable profession skills (with the exception of Elite skills, but those are balanced separately).

Race will have no significant gameplay advantages either. The gigantic Norn and Charr are not "bullet magnets", nor are the tiny Asura "untouchable".

That's one of the awesome things about GW2, you don't have to worry about which race/profession/skill is "best". You can pick what you want and play.

Korten12:
Can't wait to add all of the PVP info. :D

I, too, am looking forward to the PvP info, but I'm much more interested in Sylvari Week next week (confirmed!), and the playable Sylvari and Asura at Gamescom. The Charr starter experience also intrigues me...

couldnthelp but notice the charr warrior in the gameplay video doing the same move about 30 times

updated with some of the new Sylvari stuff.

skill and energy changes

Pretty big change here, no more energy costs for skill usage. Weapon skills are learned through use though they were a little vague on how non-weapon skills are obtained.

added more. Also I believe PAX Prime videos will be the same, but with more conference videos. :)

Also Post videos and such here you believe you think should be added.

How have I not discovered this thread before!
So usefull, many thanks Korten for having everything you could want to know in one place!
What race/proffession combo's is everyone thinking of going when the game finally drops?
I'm definitly going Char and it's a toss up between Engineer, Elementalist and Necro.

Also stumbled upon these yesterday, lots of nice gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttfOuxB6Gc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnVGEYGE8hs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvHV7HB2BDc

Mesmer is official. The profession will get it's official reveal on Wednesday but the news is out a little early due to a leak.

Sources
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1010048&postcount=103

Posted the final class info!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked