What are your thoughts on Fallout: Las Vegas?
Crazy awesome! I am playing it whenever I can!
33.6% (284)
33.6% (284)
Its really good.
28.6% (242)
28.6% (242)
Its good.
15% (127)
15% (127)
Its ok.
8.9% (75)
8.9% (75)
Its mediocre.
6% (51)
6% (51)
Its bad.
1.2% (10)
1.2% (10)
Its really bad.
1.4% (12)
1.4% (12)
Its horrible, I hate it completely!
3.4% (29)
3.4% (29)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Fallout: Las Vegas is boring beyond belief

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I like the added difficulty, and Hardcore mode. But I find it has Dragon Age syndrome, where the main quest is fan-God-damned-tastic and the side quests are pretty much just pointless slogs through loading screens. There's way more quests than Fallout 3, but it gets me thinking that 30 well developed and well written quests are better than 100 less interesting ones. There's too many quests in Vegas where character "A" wants you to just go talk to character "B".

Talon_Skywarp:
Its actually hard!

I have had more fun on it than fallout 3. I've been more scared, more challenged and more interested than 3. Nothing in fallout 3 worried me, because shotgun to the face always won.

However, this one...

DAMN GIANT SCORPIANS!

This, removing the scaling level system is a great idea. It makes certain areas harder to reach for lower level players without blocking them through walls etc, and it provides a new challenge, as well as adding tension to the game. I spent ten minutes attempting to creep past a large group of deathclaws by climbing over a hill :D It also gives a great sense of achievement when you do kill a "bigbad" such as a giant radscorpion.

I lurve the new aiming system, especially on mah infamous varmint rifle, and the pistols (9mm scoped, anyone?)

Finally, the new faction system is great, although its screwed me over before, as nothing says "you, my friend, are royally fucked." Like several dozen dynamite and SMG equipped conicts chasing you out of a prison. :/

In short, it is such an improvement and I love it sooo much

I like it. I enjoy the freedom i have but one huge thing is the story choices.

Bugs are getting to me though. The ps3 has the lag bug which is starting to make me question if game developers who once cared about consumers just want money and couldn't care less about us.

Leximodicon:
I like the added difficulty, and Hardcore mode. But I find it has Dragon Age syndrome, where the main quest is fan-God-damned-tastic and the side quests are pretty much just pointless slogs through loading screens. There's way more quests than Fallout 3, but it gets me thinking that 30 well developed and well written quests are better than 100 less interesting ones. There's too many quests in Vegas where character "A" wants you to just go talk to character "B".

That's classic Fallout though. Every quest I have come across was written 10x better than the best quest in Fallout 3 imo. The writers for New Vegas really know Fallout and it shows.

Hardcore_gamer:
I bought Fallout: Las Vegas after hearing all of the praise about the game. And after having invested a considerable chunk of the day into the game it has almost put me to sleep.

I had a similar experience, but that was because I spent 12 hours playing it the first day and I was literally ready for sleep once I was done playing...

Don't get me wrong, I knew in advance what kind of game this was and I was never expecting any kind of a fast paced shooter or anything, but the game is just bloody boring. There are a number of reasons for this, for starters the story feels dull and it never really held my attention not counting the first few min during the opening cutscenes. Another reason is that the characters feel and look very bland, dull and uninteresting thanks to the stiff and lifeless character models, the highly mediocre graphics and the sub-par voice acting.

And speaking of graphics, the game looks pretty ugly. The actual game world is empty, bland and lifeless (and don't give me the "but the game takes place after a nuclear war and that makes it ok" excuse. The plot/setting doesn't justify throwing the player into a series of dull uninteresting environments) which means that there is no real satisfaction to be had in exploring the game world. If anything it just becomes a chore having to wander through it. The interfaces are also confusing and annoying, that arm-computer thing you carry feels overly complex, its not that I can't understand it, its just so tedious to use.

C'mon now, some of those comments are just mean. I won't argue about the character models, but the voice-acting isn't that bad and I really have to wonder how far you actually got into the game that you think you know enough about the story to throw it under a bus...

Another thing that I just can't stand is the slow pace of the game. Yes I know this is a RPG first and a shooter second, but that doesn't mean I should be spending most of my time just walking around from A to B while doing nothing exiting at all. I have started to wander how long the promised "50+ or so hours of gameplay" I heard about would actually last if the game removed all of the annoying "walking around and figuring out where to go" parts and just left the actual interesting gameplay parts.

What exactly do you mean by "interesting gameplay parts," shooting things? Talking to people?
What's so wrong with "walking around and figuring out where to go"? It's called exploration, there's a whole landscape here to look around, not just some tiny levels that can be easily converted over to multiplayer deathmatches.

And wtf is up with guns being so inaccurate if you fire them yourself? I know you are suppose to level up to become better with the guns and stuff but it just feels so outrageous when you line up a perfect headshot and yet mess anyways simply because of how guns/stats work in the game.

Well, there's two factors to consider, one your gun may not have the actual range to hit someone in the head from a distance, and two bullets tend to be subject to gravity after being shot. There's also the possibility that your "perfect headshot" isn't as perfect as you think, in which case, you should experiment with the gun and try to decipher where you need to aim to adjust for that.

Don't get me wrong, if you love the game then Kudos to you, but I for one regret buying the game.

Anyways, I will probably sell the game back to the store and hopefully get some of my money back.

What are your thoughts on Fallout: Las Vegas?

With all the complaints you have(that could be corrected simply by playing the game and getting accustomed to it), lack of patience or sense of exploration, that would probably be for the best. Frankly, the impression I get of you from what you've said, you come off as an FPS junkie that bought the game for the wrong reasons. Go ahead and sell it if you're not happy with it, no reason to suffer another complainer saying the game is crap, we've already got enough of those...

Hardcore_gamer:
I bought Fallout: Las Vegas ...

So after reading that i stopped reading. Naming it wrong just makes you look foolish

Just an F.y.i.

I'm loving NV even more than I loved FO3 (which didn't even feel that much like FO to me).

NV FEELS like Fallout, which makes it fantastic.

I just wish I could make Rex NOT run off and die everytime something red appeared on my compass, reloading saves is tedious (although I may let him die next time, since I finally completed his quest)

Well, it's Fallout: New Vegas...

Anyways. You always seem to complain about very trivial things, don't you? And that excuse is perfectly valid because it adds to the immersion of the game!

Always been a die-hard fan of the Fallout franchise, back when Interplay still owned it. I gave Bethesda's third installment a chance but whenever I played it I found myself growing more bored every single time, it just.. had no life to it.

Now concerning New Vegas; I haven't had a chance to play it yet but- I propably won't. My initial thought after having seen some footage was that it appeared to be naut but a glorified expansion made full priced title.

It would at times appear to me as if Bethesda has no passion when it comes to their games, seeing as they're always released in an unpolished state, with characters and environments that feel barren and lifeless (Yes, I realise the irony).

There is no negative karma from stealing from the Silver Rush. Get a stealthboy and go nuts. There's about 4k caps worth of energy weapons sitting in there, more if you pick-pocket everyone in there.

I love it, for whatever reason I found it really hard to get into FO3 I like it, I also found in certain parts I was bored by it quite quickly. But what really got me was the ending it pissed me off a lot, it just felt like the ending was a money plug for the dlc and that irritated me, I felt a bit mugged off.

I like NV it just feels bigger and more wild and just more immersive, ntm the character creation is a hell of a lot better as well. My character doesn't look like a post op man, she actually looks like a female. I'm still playing it atm, I'm really enjoying it I like the characters and the settings the quests are good and the story is as well. No-Bark is LOL.

Edit: I know they realised FO3 as a game of the year, but the principle still stands I bet a lot of people got the DLC before the GOTY was realeased and got done over, thats what annoys me.

Nom Pretentieux:

Xzi:

Nom Pretentieux:
You can say it's similar to FO3 all you want, but in everything except core gameplay it's a huge ode to the first fallout games. I'm really loving everything about it, then again my copy is for some reason extremely clean of bugs, so that might have made it more positive for me.

The only similarity it has with Fallout 3 is the engine. People who have only played a grand total of two hours haven't realized this.

The game is three times as long, three times as deep, and three times as balanced as Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was some nubcake shit developed by a group that died after Morrowind.

While I like fallout 3 and think that's waaay too harsh, I have to say people aren't giving the game a chance. Then again, people went haywire when we told them to give FF XIII 20 hours of their time, so maybe I should just give up trying to sell long games as good. Go wait for Black Ops, that'll be a fun 3 hours.

Games are meant as a recreational activity. I'm not really into spending 20 hours of my time in addition to actually buying to game to start enjoying it.

Adremmalech:
There is no negative karma from stealing from the Silver Rush. Get a stealthboy and go nuts. There's about 4k caps worth of energy weapons sitting in there, more if you pick-pocket everyone in there.

Also of note, you can also just sell everything right back to the owners or exchange for the stuff that isn't on the shelves. Some of the weapons on the shelves are in terrible condition though. If you can get free repairs from Mojave Outpost, this is the time to use them.

And if you don't have a stealth boy available, you can just pick something up with Z and carry it over into the small corridor with and pick the item up there without anyone noticing. I never liked Van Graffs anyway.

hey OP
if you think it's boring, try hardcore mode.
you'll be counting bullets.
it adds an OH SH... element to the game

InnerRebellion:

Anyways. You always seem to complain about very trivial things, don't you? And that excuse is perfectly valid because it adds to the immersion of the game!

Honestly I'm starting to think this guy is just a very sucessful troll...he always seems to put himself in these situations where he completely misses the point of what he's experiencing and flames the piece of media (I use that terminology because he's done it with a movie in my experience) because of it.

tghm1801:
I find it funny that the OP's name is 'Hardcore_gamer' and he got the name of the game wrong. :P

You just sank his battleship.

Coldie:

Adremmalech:

Also of note, you can also just sell everything right back to the owners or exchange for the stuff that isn't on the shelves. Some of the weapons on the shelves are in terrible condition though. If you can get free repairs from Mojave Outpost, this is the time to use them.

And if you don't have a stealth boy available, you can just pick something up with Z and carry it over into the small corridor with and pick the item up there without anyone noticing. I never liked Van Graffs anyway.

That's actually a good tip...thanks for that.

I agree with you, I hate the Van Graffs, especially after

I have to whole heartedly disagree with this,i have played fallout:new vegas since the tuesday it came out till sunday and ive logged what has to be just about 60 some odd hours of game-play and ive beaten it three times.The game just has so much more meat in comparrision to fallout 3 and i loved fallout 3.Everything about New Vegas just works,the towns the people the locals and of course the storyline decisions.The story line allows for so many options its great,unlike in fallout 3 where you were stuck helping the damned brotherhood through hell or high water in this game you can basically kill fallout god let him live completely shut off from the world or work with him.And all those choices leave you with so many questions in retrospect,do you let this authoritarian overlord take complete control knowing that he can completely rebuild man kind but at the lack of basic democratic freedoms,do you kill him basically dooming mankind to more turmoil for the unforseeable future but allowing mankind to shape itself through its own decisions, or do you disable him basically sentenceing him to an endless life of nothingness a fate worse than death and you get the problems that come with option two.Its all so vast i meen i was able to get to the very end of the game side with the NCR and at the end completely changed my mind and went with "Wild card ace in the hole" and found little trouble in doing so.Also the companions in fallout:new vegas are just fucking great cassidy is awesome,boone is sniper jesus,lily is the best grandmother ive ever had and who doesnt love raul.

I am enjoying it immensely! I really dig that western feel.

♪♫ with the big iron on his hip, the big iron on his hiiiiiiip. ♪♫

Bluesclues:

InnerRebellion:

Honestly I'm starting to think this guy is just a very sucessful troll...he always seems to put himself in these situations where he completely misses the point of what he's experiencing and flames the piece of media (I use that terminology because he's done it with a movie in my experience) because of it.

He is, and he doesn't just make such threads about entertainment media. I still remember when he made a thread to tell people how good whaling is. It was sort of funny. It also made me not like him because he didn't accept any evidence to the contrary.

Anyway, I can't take it seriously if you intentionally give the game a wrong name. It looks really childish. If you have played the game, you should know better; if you haven't, then this thread is trolling in its purest form.

First time i played fallout 3 i thought 'what the hell was all the hype about ,this game sucks!' but then i had no idea how things work or what im supposed to do there. Few months later i gave it a second chance and i loved it ,started to play around with mods which made the game even better ,so i didnt have the same problem with fnv ,from the start i knew what this game was about and so far it didnt dissapoint me ,i like wandering through the wasteland ,finding new places ,people ,quests.

Googenstien:
Much better and less boring and more RPG-like than Fallout 3. They did a great job on revitalizing the franchise.

I'm gonna have to agree with this. There are a few minor problems with it (chiefly glitch and Bethesda's game engine orientated) but overall I've found New Vegas to be an enjoyable game that promises decent replay value because of the way you can complete (and fail) certain quests.

It's by no means perfect, but I'm enjoying Fallout:New Vegas more than I enjoyed Fallout 3, that's for sure.

Jazzyjazz2323:
snip

Dude, spoilers please? You just ruined the end for me.

HK_01:

Bluesclues:

InnerRebellion:

He is, and he doesn't just make such threads about entertainment media. I still remember when he made a thread to tell people how good whaling is. It was sort of funny. It also made me not like him because he didn't accept any evidence to the contrary.

Anyway, I can't take it seriously if you intentionally give the game a wrong name. It looks really childish. If you have played the game, you should know better; if you haven't, then this thread is trolling in its purest form.

Yeah, if you notice, he never makes any response to the thread or any of the people quoting him. One of the first threads I came across when I started here in the Escapist was his, and he did the exact same thing...actually, on the first page he responds to one or two people, but never responds to any of the actual refutable arguments presented to him.

Coldie:

Adremmalech:

I started off just dragging each gun into the bathroom and taking it, but when it came to the grenades and ammunition, I said fuck it and went predator on their asses.

Minor Spoilers:
later I helped Cass clear them out and made out with nearly 10k worth of stuff. I hadn't gone upstairs yet.

It is a very good game from what I've played of it so far.
I just recently

One of my favourite bits so far was

I am taking the nice guy approach to everything, like I did in Fallout 3. Except for one part when I didn't have enough caps for something that a quest required so I blew off an old lady's head with a hunting rifle.

Sadly I did experience a bug quite early on in the game, I had to rescue a deputy from a hotel. So I sneaked past all the guards, untied him and met him outside, then this bandit/raider starts shooting at us. Only when I got closer I found out he was stuck in the wall, where neither of us could kill him so he ended up killing the person I was meant to save.

But that alone hasn't put me off an otherwise very good game.

I have to say that I never played any of the Fallout games before. Why I dunno because this game is beyond crazy good (minus the glitches that I put up with).

I am defineately going back and playing Fallout 3. I would go back further, but none of the rest are on the XBox 360, and I don't buy games for my computer.

I just took a look at how many hours I put into my first game on Fallout: New Vegas and my last save says 150 hrs. Of course I wandered around QUITE a bit and did nothing except salvage stuff for profit and admire the shear beauty of the game. I also didn't finish it quicker because it has been said that there is a definate ending and you can't go back once you cross a certain point in the game unless you load your save. So I made sure I did pretty much everything I could before I continued to the end the first time. And, unlike 99% of games I play, I want to go back through the full game again to see the other endings. I know there is a least three (NCR, House, and Independent). I saw the Independent version, now I want to see the others. I am also curious to see the repercussions of different decisions. So if there is only 3 main endings, there is endless play through because of the different decisions that can be made. And I am excited for that =o)

I know that I will be putting a whole lot more hours into this game than I ever should (like 150hrs wasn't enough right?)

I'd try and argue my point of view of the game ,but it seems the votes have spoken for me. As cute as the rant was the majority of us love it, it's just not your type of game.

Chris Breseman:
I know there is a least three (NCR, House, and Independent). I saw the Independent version, now I want to see the others. I am also curious to see the repercussions of different decisions.

Shouldn't there be four?
Independent, House, NCR and Legion?

Hardcore_gamer:

snip...

Wow, Hardcore Gamer. This is one of those rare times I find myself disagreeing with you. :)

I purchased the game on launch day, and I was very impressed with it. I was thinking the law of diminishing returns would have taken hold - but I found this game better than the one that preceded it.

I grant you it is a slow paced game. But I didn't mind the slightly stiff models - there is a limit to how realistic humans can look. The X-box 360 just lacks the oomph needed to process a truly realistic looking human. Plus when you have to render a whole open world, graphics will have to suffer the curse of blandness, mostly down to lack of processing power again.

The voice acting by the main characters is as good as you'll find anywhere. You get names like Ron Pearlman, Danny Trejo, Michael Dorn, Rene Auberjonois, Felicia Day, Matthew Perry and Kris Kristofferson to name a few - all of them experienced actors.

I understand your concerns with the Pip-Boy computer, it is a slightly clunky system to use and not much instruction is given to use it properly. But once you learn your way around, you'll be modding weapons in no time and calling up different weapons and changing ammo types with a single push of the D-pad.

But if you are finding guns a little inaccurate, just pull the left trigger and you'll have iron-sights to look into. Not 100% accurate - taking target distance and bullet travel time into account. Lead-fire is difficult, frightening when the shot you fired at the Deathclaw you were aiming at missed, but rewarding when it hits. (Especially so when crouched.)

I cannot deny there bugs in the game, but they're not complete game breakers. The X-box version is nowhere near as bad as the PC version for bugs. I've not seen moonwalking dogs, handstanding scorpions or exorcist heads yet. Just a few freeze-crashes every few hours or so - nothing that can't be cured with a quick restart.

I hope your next game will give you a bit more joy than Fallout: New Vegas did.

- Optimus vota , socius viator.
- Gunner 51

As some wonderfully moderate people put it: "I disagree with you but I don't think you're a nazi."

Reading Hardcore_Gamer's review, I have to wonder if we were playing different games. Admittedly I was playing the game at its maximum graphics settings along with a few other mods, but just about every aspect of this game clicked for me in a way that I haven't experienced... well.. ever, I guess.

The only real unhappiness I experienced was when my rational mind broke through to remind me that there was an end to the immersion. I was grasping at side missions, pleading that there be a settlement with some new characters or factions or, hell, cities. This game makes me hopeful that there might be a game like this someday, but the size of WoW.

Replay value was great for me (lasted two games) until I realized that there was just this one major story line, and that it followed a pretty familiar progression. I wonder if the weird west has something more left to offer...

It's 'really good' in my opinion, so that's what I voted.

I love the new emphasis on roleplay elements, and I've actually been able to stay alive as pure diplomatic character without any combat qualities on very hard.

Been able to talk my way out of almost ever situation I encountered.
Which is excellent. Wasn't possible in Fallout 3.

I also enjoy the music in this one alot, better than in Fallout 3, in my opinion.
Three-Dog is missing, though. His replacement is good, but well, Three-Dog was just perfect.

I look forward having another go at it with a melee-crazy berserker with 1 intelligence and charisma once I finish the game with my current character.

Am I the only one who thought they had just made Fallout 2 with the Fallout 3 Engine? It reminded me so much of Fallout 2, I know there set in the same part of the world but it's a thing of beauty.

The new additions on the game are welcome as is the Hardcore mode which I am not even touching just yet as I like "fun" in games rather than a mind numbing slog through a post apocalyptic wasteland I cannot survive! The music is great the setting is interesting and I am only 6 hours in and haven't even begun to touch the story!

I love it, I also have fable 3 which means I have no life!

From what I have seen (I haven't actually played it so bare with me here) it just looks like more of Fallout 3 with a few minor improvements.

Now don't get me wrong, Fallout 3 was an ok game (it had it's moments) but I'm still not convinced that it's worth paying 50 for what looks like a stand-alone expansion (just as lots of people had a major issue with Halo 3: ODST being charged at full price).

Am I the only one who thought they had just made Fallout 2 with the Fallout 3 Engine? It reminded me so much of Fallout 2, I know there set in the same part of the world but it's a thing of beauty.

Oh yeah, I really felt the same about Fallout 2.

It does feel like a Fallout 2 in the Fallout 3 engine to me.
That's one of the reasons why I like it so much.

Of course there are still some limitations, but it's much less mainstream than Fallout 3 was.
Conversations are actually fun. Putting points in speechcraft and barter is actually useful.

There's so much happening in the world, you get chances to put your skills to the test all the time. Hardcore mode is also a nice addition, but I didn't find myself bothered much by the ammo weight yet. But maybe that's because I take care of my character, hah.

And there seem to be so many different outcomes and choices.. I will just -have- to play trough this 3-4 times with completely different characters.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked