Fallout: New Vegas and Vault 11

So I'm one of the handful of people on the planet who didn't really like Fallout 3, but New Vegas with its hardcore mode and expanded crafting and much, MUCH better writing at atmosphere is just exponentially better than Bethesda's work. As always, Obsidian has made an awesome game with one major flaw (the bugginess, in this case).

Anyway! I just finished exploring Vault 11. Well, you know, as much as it's possible to explore, at least. And the final section of it was one of the most brilliant and unique gaming moments I've ever had.

Spoilers ahead!

The whole vault was great, with the dark, twisted mind games that Bethesda made VaultTec all about combined with the weird humor of the first games. At first I saw all the campaign posters and went "oh, cool, political commentary vault." And then I started reading them, and paying attention to things, and went...oh. Ohhhhh.

By the end, you figure out that the reason people are campaigning to avoid becoming Overseer is because this particular vault's social experiment involves a single resident being selected every year to be a human sacrifice. At least, that's what they're told. When you finally open up the Overseer's passage, you find a long hallway and a cheery computer voice telling you that your "journey has just begun."

"Oh, so this was all just a big mind-screw," you say. "The 'martyr' just walks out of the vault by a secret route."

So you walk down the hall. The voice keeps talking to you. You get blinded by some light. And you reach a room with a comfortable chair, an end table with a potted plant and a few bottles of whiskey, and a big TV screen. The voice tells you to sit in the chair.

"Oh, cool," you say, "I get a little video before they let me go."

So you sit, and you watch the video. It's funny, in that cynical Fallout way, and as it ends, the narrator tells you to close your eyes and focus on all the wonderful things waiting for you in the afterlife.

"Can you picture it? Can you see it? ...Good."

And then the lights go out, the walls slide open, and a dozen turrets and robots obliterate you in seconds.

Against all video game logic, against all the genre savvyness you may possess as a player...it really is a death trap, and you are going to die.

It is one of the funniest, most subversive moments I have ever experienced in a game. Obsidian, however much you pay your writers, it's not enough.

That sounds awesome.
I must find this vault.

Awesome! I was on a fence whether to buy Fallout: New Vegas but now... Yeah, I'm gonna buy it. Once I stop being skint...

*** Super spoiler ***

The most interesting thing, is that should you survive the trap, and check the vault computer, you discover that the last 5 people refused to submit to the vault's will of sending an overseer to sacrifice. The vault then responds that the whole thing was just an elaborate test and that since they had chosen to 'respect life', the vault would be open, and everyone would be free to come and go as they please.

Was definitely a 'holy shit' moment that kept me awake that night.

I died in there the first time and i was like woah!!! nelly! but then reloaded and killed them all and found the mainframe and i was very impressed with the twist in this vault experiment not that i didn't expect it a little but it definitely made me think. Also you are missing out if you never managed to survive the death trap!

I love how if you explore the vaults and read the terminals it turns out Vault-Tec was doing all kinds of weird experiments, esentially making them the Umbrella Corperation, one thing that sticks out in my mind is: Who's gonna get the information about the experiments after the war?

Since I play the game on easy, I planted pulse mines along the walls the second time(first time I did die), no problems :P

Oh, man. I went down to the sacrificial chamber and was for some reason expecting to not be attacked, but to find a cool weapon or gear (probably because there wasn't much in the vault, so I was thinking that after swimming through irradiated water, my payout would be sure to come). Derp de derp.

"Can you see it? Good."
-Doors open, I'm thinking Hell yea! Here comes my loot!.
-I see robots. Uh oh
-5 seconds later, I'm reloading my save (from luckily right before I sat in the chair) and then taking loads of drugs and equipping a stealth boy. I'm able to take them down this time, but with many crippled limbs.

DiscipleX:
*** Super spoiler ***

The most interesting thing, is that should you survive the trap, and check the vault computer, you discover that the last 5 people refused to submit to the vault's will of sending an overseer to sacrifice. The vault then responds that the whole thing was just an elaborate test and that since they had chosen to 'respect life', the vault would be open, and everyone would be free to come and go as they please.

Even more interesting is that though five people are mentioned, you only see four bodies. That means someone got out. Hopefully we'll meet this person in the future.

DustyDrB:

DiscipleX:
*** Super spoiler ***

Even more interesting is that though five people are mentioned, you only see four bodies. That means someone got out. Hopefully we'll meet this person in the future.

I thought about this too and I've come to the conclusion that it has to No-Bark from Novac. I may have to look up whether it's the same voice actor. The town is close by and it would explain why he's crazy.

But yeah, Vault 11 is now up there with some of my favourite moments in a game. Brilliantly dark, mysterious, very well written but also funny in a very old fallout way.

One of my favourite moments aside from the ending has to be a interview you find between a women and vault security. In the written interview you learn that this women was blackmailed into performing sexual favors for several men for just over a month so they wouldn't make her husband Overseer. She then killed several of the men so that the community would make her Overseer though hatred in order to save husband. It's brutal, clever and a very well written piece.

New Vegas honestly amazes me story telling wise. The story telling goes way beyond anything Fallout 3 could even think of.

Eatbrainz:
I love how if you explore the vaults and read the terminals it turns out Vault-Tec was doing all kinds of weird experiments, esentially making them the Umbrella Corperation, one thing that sticks out in my mind is: Who's gonna get the information about the experiments after the war?

The Enclave was actively keeping track on all the vaults, as was revealed in Fallout 2. They sent the all-clear signal to Vault 8 to re-populate, which eventually turned into Vault City. They also went to vaults that were still functioning in the prelude to Fallout 2 to try and round up "genetically pure" humans to test the FEV on. Supposedly, Van Buren would have revealed that the Enclave intended to use all the data gathered from the vaults in their "Leave earth behind and resettle on a distant star in a spaceship"-program.

Indeed, that vault was just so full of awesome. The "good" part is something that I have foreseen, but in a completely positive way - I wanted that to happen, and it did. Man, you just reminded me how awesome that was, cheers, and yes, Obsidian did an awesome job with stuff like this in the Mojave Wasteland. Totally gonna replay this when I get some time and a better PC, the last "session" sucked a week straight out of my life.

Eatbrainz:

Actually Vault-Tec and the people that became The Enclave were in cahoots right before the bombs fell, with the idea that the Enclave would be the people that rebuilt America. Thus the Vault dwellers were just experiments that would theoretically benefit rebuilding society, though of course being the Fallout universe the experiments were of humorously questionable value. Like the one with 999 women and 1 man...

EDIT: Totally ninja'd.

you are going to die my ass, you were just too much of a noob to realise the obvious trap /troll

(^obvious joke is obvious btw)

But anyways in all seriousness I thought it was an obvious trap, so I triggered the vid and littered the place with frag and pulse mines, then went halfway through the pass and watched the dumb robots die :p

I agree the Vaults are usually great experiences but by far the most entrancing moment I found was when you first meet Vulpes Inculta. That guys voice was so calming...yet so sinister I almost wanted to join Caesar just to talk to him some more. There's some great voice acting from other companion characters as well and I was fairly surprised that some of them turned out to be gay/bisexual.

New Vegas is definitely better, in turns of atmosphere, then 3. But considering how 3 had such few connections to the rest of the Fallout Series it can pretty much go without saying.

>I really liked that vault too. I've found that, in Fallout, when you enter a vault, you know some weird sh*t has has been going on/will happen. I found a holotape by the entrance to the vault. Listened to it. Didn't really understand what it was all about. "finished" the vault and listened to it again. Had a HUGE revelation. It was Awesome. I also thought that there had been some sort of political vault, with a civil war having happened. Then I understood everything and I was really impressed. :)

It seems that every single female sidekick is gay or something, weird actually.

Yea there were a ton of 'holy shit' moments in New Vegas that certainly had no equal in Fallout 3. Like avoiding the two-ton shells flying at you from the Boomer base. I figured out a way to kind of exploit that, but then I realized I had to drop that method when I needed to go out into the middle of the field to pick up the recorder from a dead Brotherhood of Steel patrol for part of Veronica's companion quest.

Man my F9 key was worn out after that.

Slavik_91:
It seems that every single female sidekick is gay or something, weird actually.

Cass is bi at least, if not straight. Based on the ending I got.

Kavonde:
Snerp

It's just this story. And I'm pretty sure the game did this more than once.

Yeah, that moment was pretty sublime alright. One of the top moments in gaming for me.

I felt geniune fear and dread walking down that tunnel towards 'the light'.

Dr. Whiggs:

Kavonde:
Snerp

Nah you're looking at an election rather than people rounded up and given tickets in this case. Nipton was the lottery, and that was the Legion's doing.

Dr. Whiggs:

Kavonde:
Snerp

I thought that as well but the main premise of the lottery is the winner of a random draw is demised to make for better crops. They just sacrifice one because its how it must be.

Yes there is similarities but it doesn't seem to be the exact same.

I loved Vault 11. That was probably the most interesting Vault in the game, I kinda felt like the other vaults were interesting, but a bit of a slog (particularly Vault 34).

The twist at the end was awesome, and I really didn't see it coming.

Well this is a pretty old question but i just did the quest for the first time and im surprised nobody made this connection. Yes there are only four body's but 5 people on the holo disk. this is not a bug. if you listen to the holodisk again you will make out that they were all committing suicide. one person would shoot all of them and then shoot himself. but if you listen closely there were only 4 single shots, then you heard the man sigh and end the recording. Changed his mind? i think so. this was the real twist that made this epic side quest so amazing.

I just want to say, I survived the Vault 11 ambush, though those overseers didn't have combat armour or a riot shotgun

mikenike8835:
Well this is a pretty old question but i just did the quest for the first time and im surprised nobody made this connection. Yes there are only four body's but 5 people on the holo disk. this is not a bug. if you listen to the holodisk again you will make out that they were all committing suicide. one person would shoot all of them and then shoot himself. but if you listen closely there were only 4 single shots, then you heard the man sigh and end the recording. Changed his mind? i think so. this was the real twist that made this epic side quest so amazing.

It is likely he took the gun and set off into the wastes. Doomed to die a lonely death in the wasteland. Maybe he found somewhere to go, maybe he didn't, possibly just another corpse in the wasteland

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here