SandBLOX sounds nice ^^

TheComedown:
I would have said Indie sandbox

I like this.
I like it a lot.

Serenegoose:

Rakkana:

AndyFromMonday:
It's the only sandbox game in existence. Up until now the sandbox genre hasn't existed. It was basically invented by Minecraft.

Garry's mod.

Earlier still: Sim City.

Disagree: Sim City is more structured, you can only build preset buildings.

Minecraft is limited only by your imagination.

I would say MOSTLY a sandbox but with other bits in it too

indie sandbox...

what seriously? this needed a whole thread for this?

13lackfriday:

Serenegoose:

Rakkana:

AndyFromMonday:
It's the only sandbox game in existence. Up until now the sandbox genre hasn't existed. It was basically invented by Minecraft.

Garry's mod.

Earlier still: Sim City.

Disagree: Sim City is more structured, you can only build preset buildings.

Minecraft is limited only by your imagination.

I'm fairly sure that's not true. Minecraft might have lesser limitations but it still has limitations. Technology and design advances, but Sim City is fundamentally an example of the same genre in an earlier state.

AndyFromMonday:

Wurm Online and Second Life would like to disagree, considering they are older and more advanced than Minecraft.

That said, sandbox is not a genre. It's a design conception/game mechanics. As far as genres go i'd be closer to calling Minecraft a mix of Sim and RPG.

sandbox with a tad of a Sims-esque "alter ego" feel to it. It's basically what Ol' Petey tried with Black&White 2 (or that's the way I played it).

Sandbox RPG, clearly.

Conclusive poll is conclusive.

AndyFromMonday:

Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you.

And by word I mean magma. It would like to have a magma with you.

Baskerville:
SandBLOX sounds nice ^^

...wow... ...that's the same thing I thought...

It's a sandblox game!!!

it is the very definition of the word Sandbox XD

I never would've considered "Sandbox" a genre, to be honest. But I guess that's pretty much what it is

Sandbox RPG. I'd imagine it falling under a similar category to games like LBP or Gmod.

Sandbox. A true sandbox game.

It is a Sandbox game with some action/surival horror elements with a bit of RPG/RTS item or resource management. It does not have enough influence from those other genres to be even considered part of them but it is definitely first and foremost a sandbow game.

Sandbox, but not like a GTA sandbox, it is almost a literal sandbox. (As said by many others in this thread)

FallenTraveler:

The Unworthy Gentleman:
Sandbox. You roam around doing what you want. You can role play if you want but there isn't actually anything saying you can't play it as a tower defence instead.

except for the game mechanics... unless you make towers that shoot arrows? that sounds pretty cool actually... he should do that.

Well no, you can make a big tower and sit in it shooting arrows during the night. Then during the day you mine for more stuff and lay TNT and other traps. So you can play it tower defence style except it's in 3D and isn't the traditional tower defence.

The Unworthy Gentleman:
Well no, you can make a big tower and sit in it shooting arrows during the night. Then during the day you mine for more stuff and lay TNT and other traps. So you can play it tower defence style except it's in 3D and isn't the traditional tower defence.

Oh, never really though about it like that... that sounds pretty fun actually... gonna try that now!

FallenTraveler:

The Unworthy Gentleman:

Oh, never really though about it like that... that sounds pretty fun actually... gonna try that now!

And that is the beauty of Minecraft.

Fprpg

Not much else to say.

cocoro67:
I know this may sound silly but I really have no clue what to classify minecraft as, It does survival horror with nightime mining, It does rpg style crafting ingredients adn it does so many other things, What do you think the genre of minecraft is?

Minecraft's genre is Dwarf Fortress.

Well I feel redundant. It's a sandbox, folks. There's really no way to debate this, but; the game is still in Alpha and there are a ton more features planned, evidently*. So we may see it sort of skew into other genres - as it's already somewhat skewing into survival horror in some parts - but I think the current foundation will remain strong.

Also; the best sandbox game currently out there, in my opinion. This guy deserves every bit of currency he earns.

* - Rumour is there may be tameable wolves in a future. Hell yes.

My friend says this game is science fiction HA WHAT A DUMB***

Post-modern gaming?

Autism.

It's a Minecraft clone. Duh.

Sronpop:
Is it just me or did Minecraft just come out of nowhere. I never knew about it, thne I just kept hearing it mentioned in various different places until I googled it and had my mind blown.

And yeah, its looks like a straight up pure sandbox with elements of absolutely everything which all sandboxes need.

Well, it was really obscure until it was mentioned on the TF2 blog, which catapulted it into the spotlight.

OT: I'd have to say sandbox too.

Farkin Awesome

is any further genre needed?

It's the genre of AWESOME!

Construction. Like LittleBigPlanet or Sim City. It might not be a widely-used term, but that's undoubtedly what it is. Construction.

Sandbox, survival, good for pissing off friends in LAN...yeah, that :P

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked